IMDb > Mulan (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Mulan More at IMDbPro »

Page 17 of 23: [Prev][12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [Next]

One of the best Disney films I've seen...

Author: Dale Roberson ( from Elgin, Illinois
9 November 1998

This is one of the best Disney films I have ever seen because it had the story, the perfect voices and the beautiful scenery. The film didn't have very memorable songs, but then, it is not a musical. Eddie Murphy added a great vocalization to his part without being extremely annoying. However, it did seem out of place for the voice of his character to be in China.

I enjoyed it !

Author: Christopher Deutsch from Germany
24 October 1998

I liked Mulan, especially since this is the first time Disney went for an Asian setting. I must admit I did not notice most historical screw-ups I read about afterwards. It was about as good as Pocahontas, better than Aladdin and Hercules, but not quite as good as The Hunchback, to my opinion. The score was very very poor and not in the least memorable, with the exception of one title, maybe. I really adored the character design (much better than in Hercules), but had the feeling there wasn't very much effort put into creating detailed backgrounds, especially compared to recent non-Disney animated movies like Anastasia. It seems that Disney didn't really think of this film as a grand masterpiece to be remembered for the next few years, but more as a "Let's do this film, until we can think of something we can REALLY put money into". I was glad there wasn't that much Americanisation in the film like in Hercules, until I saw the ghosts dancing to disco rhythms... well, you can't have everything, I guess. Still, a must for all Disney-fans.

Did anyone else find this film irritating?

Author: Paul A. from Australia
17 October 1998

"Mulan" was more of a problem than I anticipated. It's getting good reviews, I told myself, and for once it's a distortion of a story you don't know - just sit back and enjoy it. But the stereotypes got to me. The funny-animal-friends were just intrusive, and it was annoying that she couldn't have done it without them. The pompous bureaucrat got on my wrong side immediately when the first words he spoke betrayed the lack of research behind the film. (A lack that shows up again. And again. And...)

On the plus side, casting Asian actors in key roles was a nice touch, even if some of them were Japanese. And there's some really fun sequences, and the score is great. The film's probably great fun for children and people who know nothing about China.

Finally Disney has got it back

Author: anonymous from USA
17 October 1998

After the horrors of the last few Disney movies, I was afraid I would never go see one again. But this movie is an excellent way of displaying an old Chinese legend. The artwork, script, music score, the characters, everything, it's all perfect. Disney has always been good at entertaining, while teaching lessons at the same time. Keep it up Disney!

Best Disney since BEAUTY, maybe better

Author: anonymous from New York
30 September 1998

Best story since Beauty, and better in some ways. The heroine was so active, so clever and strong, she is a great role model for girls. I thought Eddie Murphy, although funny, detracted somewhat from the story by being so loud and abrasive, but Merchandising has to have something to make into fuzzies for the kids. No songs to rival Gaston's song in Beauty, but a wonderful show.

A good film to take the kids to

Author: pds-4 from Melbourne, Australia
16 September 1998

The best Disney film since Pocohontas, or maybe Beauty and the Beast. The story of a young woman's heroism, Mulan does a good job keeping adults interested in the story, while providing enough humorous moments and a simple enough story to keep the kids interested. Some of the artwork is quite stunning, matching the beauty of The Lion King, though the songs were not terribly memorable. Eddie Murphy does a fine job on the comic relief, without distracting from the story.

Formulaic, But Immensely Entertaining

Author: Joshua Mitchell from Here
18 September 2012

One could make a compelling argument that Mulan is basically no different than any other Disney princess film. And in a way, this is true. All the basic clichés are here: Outcast wanting to prove herself, supporting cast there for comic relief, and obviously the romantic element. To be honest, there's little about Mulan that hasn't already been covered by other Disney films. But here's the catch: The formula works. And that's why; despite it's lack of originality, Mulan not only succeeds, but flourishes.

Mulan, a young Chinese girl is determined to bring honor to her family, and prevent her father from going to war by going in his place, masquerading as a man. A tiny dragon named Mushu and a "lucky" cricket tag along to aid Mulan on her quest.

The romance element is (perhaps for the better) played down. In fact, it almost isn't there at all, merely added to increase character depth, and make it so supporting character Li Shang actually has something to do.

The setting in China is used to great effect, though the animation is surprisingly simplistic. Some shots are quite gorgeous (such as when villain Shan Yu's army is coming to battle in the snow), though it's not quite as eye popping as usual.

There are 4 songs total (not counting reprises). Though these tunes aren't quite up to snuff with that of Beauty and the Beast or The Little Mermaid, they are absolutely delightful (and miles ahead of modern day Disney songs). The first song in the movie is the strongest, though sadly, it's also the least known. Entitled, "Honor To Us All," this song near the opening is by far the most humorous and entertaining.

Other songs fare less well, but all of them have their strengths. "Reflection" is beautiful, but it's too short, and as one of the main themes in the movie, it's woefully underplayed. "I'll Make A Man Out Of You," has great lyrics, but the animation and sight gags steal the show, lessening the impact of the song. "A Girl Worth Fighting For" brings back some of the humor of "Honor To Us All," and is even a bit more catchy. Still, it's far from a showstopper.

The score (by the late Jerry Goldsmith) is perhaps slightly underwhelming when considering the potential, but it works well and is mostly pleasant. It also takes advantage of the setting, though percussion is way too strong at some points.

Characters are a bit of a mixed bag. Mulan is likable, but does little to separate herself from, say, Belle. The villain, Shan Yu is incredibly generic, and even if he was more interesting, he has very little screen time. Li Shang has no personality, and only exists as the romantic interest. The most memorable characters are the nonspeaking lucky cricket, and the pint-sized dragon named Mushu (Eddie Murphy). Mushu, while not quite reaching Genie status, has lots of quotable lines and will leave children and their parents chuckling.

Perhaps if Mulan did more to separate itself from other Disney films, it would reach masterpiece status. Still, as it stands, Mulan is marvelous. Entertaining, heartfelt, and well worth watching Mulan reaches heights that other studios struggle to reach. Mulan's not perfect, but it's superior entertainment.

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
24 September 2007

I said to myself that I would need to see this Disney cartoon feature again to see why the critics give it four stars, and I'm glad I did and I can agree. Basically this the retelling of a Chinese folktale, seeing the Fa family's only child, tomboy Mulan (Ming-Na) failing to honour and fulfil herself as a worthy bride. Then she hears that the Huns have started to invade China, and her weak father Fa Zhou (Soon-Tek Oh) being the only man of the family is being called to fight, so she cuts her hair and takes his armour to go in his stead. Her ancestors send a magical dragon, well, the wrong one, Mushu (Eddie Murphy), to protect her as she enters the Chinese army, pretending to be a man, and slowly proving herself as "Ping" to Captain Shang (B.D. Wong). So Mulan and the other soldiers are ready to fight against the Huns, led by ruthless villain Shan-Yu (Miguel Ferrer), who is determined to take over China and the place of the Emperor(Pat Morita). In the end, even after being found out as a woman, destroying some of the kingdom and a few other little mistakes, the Emperor praises Mulan, and she returns home with honour and the love of her father. Also starring Lea Salonga as Mulan's singing voice, Donny Osmond as Shang's singing voice, Mrs. Doubtfire's Harvey Fierstein as Yao, Miriam Margolyes as Matchmaker and George Takei as First ancestor. The animation is still as good as the classics, the voice casting, especially with Murphy, is well done, and it is a film with a fair amount to enjoy, so a fun animated musical adventure. It was nominated the Oscar for Best Music for Matthew Wilder, David Zippel and Jerry Goldsmith, and it was nominated the Golden Globes for Best Original Score and Best Original Song for "Reflection". Very good!

Not one of Disney's best, but still good fun.

Author: BA_Harrison from Hampshire, England
25 September 2006

When China is attacked by the Huns, the emperor enlists one man from every family to help fight the savage invaders. In order to save her father (the only male in her family) from what would probably be certain death, beautiful Mulan disguises herself as a man and takes his place. Aided by Mushu, a wise-cracking dragon, and a 'lucky' cricket, Mulan learns how to be a soldier, saves the day and still has time to steal the heart of a dashing captain.

Disney's adaptation of the Chinese legend of Mulan is a well animated and entertaining tale, but one that may not appeal to younger children due to its rather slow start and historical setting. Technically the film is superb, with some lovely stylish oriental flourishes to the animation and superb action scenes, but the unmemorable songs are less than impressive and many of the supporting characters lack the 'personality' we have come to expect from recent Disney films.

Although definitely not a 'classic', Mulan is nevertheless still entertaining fare and, let's face it, even a poor Disney movie usually has enough merits to warrant a viewing (unless it's the Black Cauldron or Cars, of course!).

Amazing work!!!!!

Author: Seth Nelson from (Near) D/FW Airport, Texas, USA
5 September 2006

I must say, I am quite impressed with Disney's 1998 animated classic feature "Mulan," about a Chinese girl who had troubles attempting to bring honor to her family, until one night, her father, a soldier, wasn't feeling well to fight, so she disguised herself as a man so that she could fight in her father's place. She had a dragon, Mushu, who helped her out along the way. In this movie, this movie has nothing but hardcore action!!!!! This isn't your ordinary, everyday, run of the mill girl movie; no, no, no, this is a great one!!!!!

This is a boy movie, too; I'm just saying that because there are a whole lot of Disney Princess movies out there!!!!!

"Mulan" is an amazing feat to come to the cinema, and to Disney, too. I've seen this plenty of times and it never grows old on me.