IMDb > Mulan (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Delightful Animated Girl Hero who Breaks with Disney Traditions

Author: noralee from Queens, NY
8 November 2005

"Mulan" is not quite a chick flick and it's much better than "Pochantas."

It has terrific animation and I forgot I was even watching animation. The script has some funny lines.

The music is not great (the writers didn't ring any bells with me as to their past work) but good lyrics. I was disappointed that the music wasn't as Asianish as "Lion King" is Africanish. And the final rap is a bit off-putting, though the segue into the Stevie Wonder song was fun.

Eddie Murray isn't Robin Williams but he's fun. At least they do use quite a few Asian actors' voices - Wing Na Wen ("E.R."), George Takei ("Star Trek"), B.D. Wong ("Oz") Pat Morita ("Karate Kid").

I think "Mulan" is the first Disney animation post-Katzenberg and there's a couple of digs at him and responses to the criticisms of how he did the girl stars. There was a lot of criticism of how Katzenberg personally insisted on Jasmine in "Aladdin"s impossible Barbie shape and "Mulan" takes that on with a line about how stupid it is to want such a narrow waist. Definitely a much more positive body image movie than under the Katzenberg regime.

There's no dead mother syndrome here, well for Mulan anyway. The Captain's mother isn't mentioned. Not only is there a mom, but even a grandmom. The father is still Freudian - he's wounded. All the Disney dads of daughters have some incapacity or other or tragic flaw.

Refreshingly, there's no wedding at the end with birds chirping as a canopy. The courting is assumed and the grandmom invites the captain to live there forever--but Mulan shuts her up.

(originally written 7/23/1998)

Mulan

Author: chrisalexa from Romania
28 April 2007

A great story..I have always been impressed by China's history,by its culture..even though this film is fiction but even so..I like it!..A girl,Mulan,who wants to save his father from going to war and die in battle...a little dragon,Mushu,who tries to convince the ancestors of the Fa family that he can do something important without messing up things around him..a bug who thinks he's lucky and it seems that he really has lot of luck..and a brave horse and companion,Khan..they all decide to help Mulan in war..that's the plot of the story...In the end everything turns out OK and Shang and Mulan fall in love.. I recommend this movie to everyone..and I hope you'll like it as much as I did..or who knows?even more..

Young lady poses as a man to save her father.

Author: from Tacoma WA
28 October 2004

What I wouldn't give to be able to see this movie for the first time again. This Disney Musical/Comedy/Drama was a delightful surprise for both me and my

daughter. The artful animation(watch the smoke) the terrific songs like "Be a Man", the laugh out loud antics of Eddie Murphy's Mushu, and a heroic, feisty, and really likable Mulan help make this movie truly special. Every time I take it down from the video shelf I'm surprised at how good it is. Some of the subject matter isn't appropriate for small children. The movie does remind us of the historical repression of women and the sorrow of war, which adds meaning to

the story. But overall the film is lots of fun. So "Be a Man" and watch this movie!

Thank you Disney, for making mulan so great!

Author: BeautifulSinner
11 March 2008

Mulan is a well-known ancient folktale in Chinese history. It tells the story of mulan, who disguises herself as a man and goes to the war to protect the country in place of her aged father, and finally returns as a national hero/heroine. Although the story of mulan was evidently modified from its original, Disney did a fantastic job at retelling the story, and delivered it through the beautiful hand-drawn animation that has been lost to us for many years. As a Chinese myself, I know the mulan story like millions of Chinese people do. Some people (espcially Chinese people) may not like the Disney version of mulan simply because Disney didn't stay true to the original, but i feel somewhat differently about this. Not only did i have no problem with Disney's decision to make modifications to mulan's story, I actually kinda appreciate that they did. Cuz Disney's retelling of mulan turned out to be rather amazing, and even better than the original in my opinion. I mean, the original story is great, but it lacks fun and humor, which you can find in Disney's mulan. In the Disney version, Mulan is an outgoing, smart, and independent young woman who has difficulty fitting in the more traditional and reserved ancient Chinese society, where a woman's value is judged by marrying into a good family and being a good wife. So naturally this creates conflict and inner struggle for mulan, and thus brings out the musical number "reflection" that expresses mulan frustrations and desires. This song is so beautifully written and the lyrics have such meaningful morals and depth that it touches me every time i hear it, and I'm a guy! This song can certainly relate to a great many of young people, not only girls but also boys, cuz its central theme is all the same, that is to be your true self regardless the environment that you in. And now back to the movie, there's a lot to love about Disney's mulan: the story, the fun characters, the songs and music, the beautiful animation, etc. The story is smoothly-paced and very believable. You have no problem understanding why things happen the way they do and why mulan has taken certain actions. And I think Disney created the characters very successfully because they made them look like real Chinese people instead of the classic Disney characters that we used to see. And they made the backgrounds in the animation look like beautiful Chinese landscape paintings, which really amazed me! And the opening of the movie is probably one of the most brilliant among the Disney animation features. I was completely blown away when i first saw it in the theater. Although Disney didn't completely stay true to the original mulan, it stayed true to the spirit of the original story and the spirit of china in most part! And as Mulan being a Chinese story, i think Disney did its best to make it look like and feel like Chinese, and i really appreciate their effort. So thank you Disney, for making mulan so great!

Brave and Magical.

Author: Elswet from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
28 October 2003

Witty, amusing little Disney movie, regardless of the horrid song element.

I'm not a fan of the Disney musical formula. I do not like the made-for-five-year-old song element found in most Disney animations, so I tend to just ignore those sections except in movies such as "Beauty and the Beast," where that activity is just not possible. I therefore avoid the movie itself, as often as I can.

This movie, has much of that Disney musical element, which for me, lowers the value of the movie.

However, the animation is far better than that of other later Disney movies, and the backgrounds are well done, which is a delightful surprise.

Disney has taken to ignoring detail, of late, which is a major disappointment for those of us who watch these movies for the animation quality.

The story itself is really very compelling, innovative, and strong. I thoroughly enjoyed this Disney attempt, although I am sure, as with all Disney sequels, they will screw up the animation quality and background value in Mulan 2. And I fully appreciated the comedic element provided by Eddie Murphy.

It rates an 8.2/10 from...

the Fiend :.

excellent movie

Author: rebelnerd1 from United States
5 July 2006

I first saw this movie as a little kid, but I still enjoy it now that i'm 15. I consider this to be one of the first GOOD movies to come out of that greedy capitalist hellhole called Disney in years. Some of the arguments against it have been ridiculous.

"It's racist!" Oh come on people, it's supposed to be and adventure/war movie, not a remake of Ghandi! The Huns are bad, the Chinese are good because that's how it was in the ancient legend. A movie like this is not supposed to put political correctness before entertainment.

"It's discriminating against men!" Lighten up, please. I'm a guy and I wasn't offended by this. It's from Mulan's perspective, and I think it's safe to say she was somewhat prejudiced. Besides, Shang was cool. There was nothing wrong with him.

"It's too violent!" I hate to break it to you, but war happens. Yes, there are fields of bodies. Yes, the bad guys kill people. Yes, it might scare little kids. But seriously, the evening news is way more violent. These things happen, and if your kids never know about it then they're going to be pretty freaked out when they first encounter the real world.

In short, Mulan is a great movie for anybody who doesn't want they're kids to live in a bubble. It's got action, romance, friendship, the whole works, and would have been great even if it wasn't animated.

How animated films should be

Author: patrick_dunne (wingkon@comcast.net) from United States
30 December 2005

I must say, Mulan is a truly wonderful film. It used to be one of my favorites as a kid.

It deals with ancient China, where only men could join the army. To fight the invading Hans, the government recruits men to join the army to fight the invaders. This affects Mulan's small family. Mulan is reluctant to have her father fight in the war, because she knows he could easily die, so she steals his armor and sword and sets off to join the army as a man. She later gets a companion named Mushu (voices by Eddie Murphy) who is a miniature and funny dragon sent by the ancestors. And so our story begins….

I really loved this movie. First of all, he story deals with a semi-sexist community, and one of the people who are considered lower, stands out from the rest. I found this to be very dramatic, and it reminds me of other movies, such as Rabbit-Proof Fence, where the despised half-castes run away from the cruel camp. This is a similar situation.

Second of all, the film is very funny. Eddie Murphy shows off his comedic talents when playing the role of Mushu. It's rather silly at times, but it doesn't hurt to laugh. I thought one of the funniest scenes was the bath scene, but it was pretty gross though.

Third of all, the animation is superbly detailed. The characters do look a bit funny, but the artists defiantly took their time in making this wonderful film.

Mulan is very powerful, very detailed and very funny- just like all animated films should be. I don't know why this isn't in the top 50 animated films. It's wonderful.

8.5/10

One of the best...

Author: ginger_sling from United States
1 June 2006

Now, I'm sixteen and I still watch Disney movies more than any other type of movies out there, so some people consider me pretty childish. I don't know if that'll hurt my opinion on this film or not, but I'm giving my opinion anyways.

Mulan is probably one of the best Disney movies of all time. It, along with the Lion King and the Lion King II are probably the only movies I can watch more than once in a day. And yes, I have watched Mulan more than once in a day. And I've rewound (it's VHS. I still live in the '90s. Get over it) some parts over and over during those viewings. This movie is just so fantastic I can hardly put it into words. The music isn't tiresome or annoying like some Disney movies, the message is strong and a good one, and there are some dark elements in it that won't scare the children but will provide a little extra entertainment for adults.

I personally think that this movie should be in every household - whether there are children or teenagers or adults watching, it's fantastic.

Great Music

Author: ThatGirlLooksTasty from Berkeley, Earth
27 May 2003

When Roger Ebert reviewed this movie a while back, he said one of the movie's weak points was its lack of great tunes... he couldn't be further from the truth.

My favorite aspect of the movie was the music.

10/10 Just for the tunes!

Mulan kicks butt without wires!

Author: Fox in Socks from Staffordshire
11 July 2002

That's my background - grew up with Aristocats, Jungle Book, 101 Dalmations etc but I've avoided stuff like Pocahontas and The Lion King like the plague because cutesy animals and horrible moralising have replaced wit and charm. So I gave Mulan a chance.

And I was really pleasantly surprised. Mulan manages to keep a reasonable flavour of Chinese/Hong Kong cinema without seeming patronising or watered-down. It's not too cute or fluffy and the villain is not even remotely camp or risible. He's just plain EVIL. Course the songs are sometimes naff, but I really loved Disney's take on the staple "kung fu boot camp" .

Even the romantic angle isn't too gloopy and soft focus, it just leaves you with a hint of a beginning.

Anyway for more cross-dressing martial arts heroines, check out Brigitte Lin's career.

Page 2 of 23:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]