The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Page 10 of 504: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Wonderful Movie

Author: Jennie Parker from OBX
25 June 2002

WARNING: SPOILERS

I loved this adopation of the movie. I thought that the casting was good, (so many hot guys, so little time to see them!) and Elijah Wood was perfect as Frodo. Sean Astin was amazing as Sam Gamgee, the loyal and clumsy servant of Frodo. Dominc Monohag and Billy Boyd pulled off Merry Brandybuck and Pippin Took wonderfully. Even though they changed Arwen's part a little bit, and they cut out one of my favorite charecters, the movie mostly followed the book. My favorite part was when Gandalf fell into the abyss in Moria ("Fly, you fools!") and I eagerly await The Two Towers, coming in December of 2002

Breath- taking movie on all levels

Author: sweet_sugar_161 from White Rock, Canada
1 June 2002

Warning! Small hints one may not want too hear if they want to be completely surprised

This is an excellent, amazing and breath taking movie on all levels. I have to admit, that after the first time I saw it I didn?t like it at all. Probably because I had for a long time held a grudge against fantasy and sci-fi. After seeing it a second time though, I fell completely in love with the whole thing. I read all three books in 2 weeks after that and it is the only time that I found that a movie adapted from a book was just as enjoyable (if not better in some ways) as the book.

Peter Jackson was very brave too take on this project but it is evident that he really cared about what he was doing because it is so amazing! I thing however that they?re could have been less violence and perhaps they could of put in a bit more of the beginning of the book, where you really get a feel for the simple and happy life of the hobbits. Even so, these are only small problems and they are all made up for with the exquisite scenery, amazing cast, wonderful music and of course the breath taking special effects. This movie made me cry, laugh and scream and there was never a moment when I wasn?t doing one of these.

I don?t think a better cast could have been chosen. All the actors seem as if they actually could be the character they play in real life. Elijah Wood is perfect for Frodo. He may not be the strongest actor but Frodo, especially in the first book, is not a terribly dramatic character. He also looks exactly like all the descriptions of Frodo apart from that he?s not fat, which is a good thing as far as I?m concerned. I would of chosen him just for those eyes. Sean Astin does one of the best jobs portraying his part. As the innocent, common-sensed Sam he shows that although he is deathly afraid of what lies ahead his love for Frodo is stronger and he will not leave his side until the end. Billy Boyd is hilarious as the scatter-brained but courageous Pippin (my favorite character) and Dominic Monaghan is equally good as his brave cousin Merry. Viggo Mortenson is amazing. It is almost impossible for me too believe that he isn?t really Aragorn. He manages too look old and dangerous and at the same time young and noble. Sir Ian McKellen gives another outstanding performance. I don?t see why he wasn?t born a wizard, he suits the part so well. His academy award nomination was well earned but the fact that he didn?t win wasn?t right. Orlando Bloom is excellent as the elf Legolas. He walks so gracefully and lightly (meaning no offense, of course) and his archery looks as though he took years too learn it. He is somewhat of a role model for me, being an aspiring actress because this was his first real role! John Rhys-Davies has real ?dwarf? personality. Indignant and competitive. He manages too show very well what a ?real dwarf? was like and not like the ridiculous dwarves in Snow White and so on. Sean Bean, although his part wasn?t very large, shows very well how Boromir is slowly being taken by the power of the ring. The two women in this movie Liv Tyler as the beautiful elf princess who is in love with Aragorn and Cate Blanchett as the powerful elf queen Galadriel are just as good as all the rest. Although Arwen is not a big character in the book I am glad she is given a bigger part because the story needed more women. Cate Blanchett once again did an outstanding performance.

I have to give credit as well too the evil characters. Christopher Lee is very powerful as Saruman the wizard who is taken by the evil will of Sauron and drawn to the power of The Ring. Andy Serkis, who does the voice of Gollum didn?t have many lines I this movie but he becomes an important character later on. The reason I menchain him is because he does an extremely good voice for Gollum that hardly sounds human. I tried doing that voice while reading the book out loud and got a sore throat plus I wasn?t even very good at it.

Although they?re is much more to this movie, I have no time too talk about it. They?re aren?t even any suitable words in the English language to describe the exquisiteness of the special effects. All I can say is they are amazing! The sets, costumes and make-up were also extremely good. It is a miracle that they were able too re-create Middle-earth and it?s people almost exactly as it is described by Tokien.

All other movies that I would of considered excellent movies now seem worse because I have The Lord Of The Rings to compare them too. This movie is by far the best movie I have ever seen and I can?t imagine that anything could ever outdo it except perhaps the second and third installments of the trilogy! I would give this movie, as well as the book, all the stars there are in the universe out of 10!

Excellent Science Fiction in the Tradition of "Star Wars".

Author: tfrizzell from United States
22 May 2002

Outstanding first film of the franchise which received a whopping 13 Oscar nominations and definitely makes a case for being the best film of 2001. "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" is excellent story-telling that is told in an epic style that is rarely seen in the cinema these days. The film uses new technologies and old customs to create an amazing experience. Elijah Wood is entrusted to destroy the most powerful ring created in Middle Earth and it is up to him to cast it into the depths of fire from which it came many, many centuries earlier. Sean Astin, Viggo Mortensen, Sean Bean and John Rhys-Davies make the large impressions as they are among those attempting to assist Wood in his all-or-nothing quest. Ian McKellen (Oscar-nominated) gives his greatest performance to date as he steals every scene and gives the film an element of grace that few could have done. Other high-class actors like Ian Holm and Cate Blanchett stand out among the ensemble. The movie is much more than entertainment. It is a film that shows that the smallest of people can make the biggest difference in the most important of times. The elements of love, friendship and goodness are major themes. All this makes "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" one of the best movies of all time. 5 stars out of 5.

Quick Comment

Author: daredevil_81 from London, UK.
17 May 2002

After seeing LOR, I was completely amazed by how Peter Jackson did absolutely amazing adaptation of the first novel. The acting was top notch, the special effects where used as a tool for the film, not the film was the tool for the special effects. It goes to show that good filmmakers are still around. Lucas should of watch LOR before he made Episode 2 (or before making Episode 3) and take notes on what real film making is all about, what if Peter Jackson directing Star Wars Episode 3? If he did it would have save the Star Wars Saga, and rescue it from the unbearable cheese of first 2 pre-quels. Besides the best Star Wars episode i.e. ‘Empire Strikes back', wasn't made by Lucas but studio master Irvin Kershner. It goes to show that the Star Wars medium is brilliant, but with wrong directing it can be pure crap. And the LOR medium is equally awesome to Star Wars, but thank heavens that LOR had a good director. even though LOR books was one of the influences for Lucas to create the Star Wars saga anyway. Besides I shouldn't have compared LOR and Star Wars, but it was a natural Instinct to do so of the two Epic tales of good against evil. Peter Jackson doesn't care about world class box office sells, he cares about world class film making and that feeling is present within the film, thus making LOR refreshing to see.

P.S. I know I will get criticised for what I said, I dont care.

As good as hoped for.

Author: ronin1701
22 April 2002

Unlike Star Wars I: Phantom Menace, this movie definitely lived up to all its pre-release hype. Peter Jackson should have won the Best Director "Oscar" for one reason alone: he DIDN'T screw up the movie, and he DID remain true to the original story.

The Greatest Motion Picture Of Cinema History

Author: rob_hyland49 (rob.hyland@blueyonder.co.uk)
18 April 2002

I love this film. I simply love it. This is Tolkiens novel, and the world of Middle-Earth, the characters of Middle-Earth and the events of Middle-Earth! I love this film.

This is the kind of film that will be passed down from generation to generation to generation. It is THAT good.

There are three wizards: Gandalf (Sir Ian McKellen), Saruman (Christopher Lee) and Peter Jackson, the director. The breathtaking detail Jackson has put into this is incredible. Lets start with the acting.

This is a star studded cast, with Elijah Wood in the main role as Frodo, McKellen as mentioned, Viggo Mortensen, Sean Bean, Billy Boyd, Liv Tyler . .. the list goes on and on and on. Each has put 101% into this masterpiece, and it really shows.

The sets are incredible. One can believe they are in Khazad-Dum, or in Bree, or in Hobbiton, or Rivendell particuarly. It will take your breath away, some of the incredible locations. We know each is not real, but there is a hint of realism in there.

This is a special effects bananza, used only when needed. In Khazad-Dum and Isengard particuarly you can almost feel the power given off by the magic in this film.

The costumes are perfect. The score (designed by Howard Shore) is breathtakingly beautiful. And throughout this, Jackson maintains a sense of calm and reality in the film, and it is this inner flare and outer cool that makes him and the entire cast and crew the magicians that they are. Probably the greatest motion picture of cinema history. 10+ out of 10.

Peter Jackson, I salute you....

Author: KGersen from London
17 April 2002

First things first - I've read LOTR probably 3/4 times. & the Silmarillion and bits of the Unfinished Tales and yadda yadda yadda....I however have grown up enough to know that LOTR (the book) is for many a great novel because it relates to when they first read it...it is great within it's context but not the greatest book ever or any of that tosh...IMHO all lists are bunkum anyway.

So having got that off my chest, here is another confession....I was worried, very, very worried about LOTR on the big screen. Would it be a 'Krull', a 'Willow', a 'Beastmaster', a.........urgh,,,Dungeons & Dragons? You know what I mean...fantasy is damn hard to do. The Tolkien imitators that plague the bookshelves prove this as do the whole stackfull of cheesy, hammy fantasy movies with cheesy, hammy names chasing after magical McWidgets to save the nation / planet / galaxy / universe from eternal damnation. I had prepared a crushing hex for Peter Jackson if he inflicted this fate upon LOTR.

But there was a sign of hope, like Glamdring's pale fire in the smoke and flames of the Balrog (er, enough of that) - 3 films. Not 1 mish-mashed jampacked farce-fest. No, 3 full-length films giving the book's epic scale a chance to work it's wonder on the filmgoers.

Well Peter Jackson pulled it off - by resolutely avoiding the 'big-name' actors, by insisting on New Zealand for filming, by used WETA for effects, by nipping & tucking the story where required (I suspect even Jackson could not have kept Tom Bombadil from looking like total clown), by expanding where needed (another writer is very correct that Arwen's importance is only clear in the book during the Appendix).

If you don't like fantasy one little bit...which makes me wonder where exactly your imagination resides....then even with this appalling handicap LOTR 'Fellowship of the Ring' can still enthrall you. If you love the book, the film still does the trick. If you just like being contrary for the sake of it then I guess you won't like this film. But then I doubt you like much else in life either.

Breathtaking! What a Wonderful Film! **Warning! **Spoilers!**

Author: Even Gullord (nekkosduredro@yahoo.no) from Tonsberg, Norway
16 April 2002

Having now seen the film 17 (!) times at the cinema, and written 3 previous imdb user comments, I think it is time to write one final praise of its qualities. My earlier comments have been written without me preparing a script, so I have done that this time. Let me start at the beginning of the film. Galadriel (unseen) starts the opening narration (the world is changed.....) and at this time, no matter how many times I see it, I start gasping for air, and I feel like the film becomes part of me. No film has ever had this effect on me before, without anything really happening, and I can´t explain it. Then the "Theme of the Ring" plays over the films title, and it is so sad, yet beautiful, that it wonderfully prepares you for a tragic and sad story that will be enlivened by humour. Then follows a short retelling of the forging of the Rings of Power, with the unforgettably sad image of the nine kings who will "return" as the Nazgul. And the amazing battle-scene at the foot of Mount Doom, in which the ring comes to Isuldur. He is then ambushed and killed, and the scene where he floats dead in the Anduin brings tears to my eyes no matter how many times I see it. This says a lot about Peter Jacksons achievement: Despite that he has made a film laden with SFX, he has managed to bring back to (big-budget-)movies something basic that has been lost since Star Wars or so: To make a film really affect your emotions! All right, perhaps it hasn´t been entirely lost, but I have never experienced it to this effect. And the ring comes to Gollum, E.T.s bad twin brother, I saw the 20-year edition last Saturday, and that creature had the same fingers, very similar head and body, and a scene in which he stares into the camera the same way as Gollum in Moria, and humans saying (repeatedly)"he (E.T.) came to me." Then follows the first appearance of Frodo, then Gandalf, and their wonderful first exchange (A wizard is never late....) and the magnificent ride through Hobbiton, with fireworks, Gandalf, and the wonderful first frowning, then laughing, then stared into frowning again old woman, who, in a simple way captures the spirit of the hobbit. Actually, I myself grew up in a hobbit-like family in al rural area, and that is perhaps why I like the film so much. In fact, the old woman and her daughter? reminded me of my grandmother and my aunt (her daughter), but enough of that.... Then of course, there is Bilbo. Because the book is so widely read, his disappearance at his own birthday party, and the Ring making him (slightly) aggressive, could easily have been trite on film. But because of Peter Jacksons brilliant direction, and Ian Holms spot-on performance, it comes across as entirely fresh. My favourite moment is when he accuses Gandalf of wanting the ring, Gandalf uses his powers and Bilbo falls into his arms like a child. I´m not going to retell the entire film here, but let´s take the first appearance of Aragorn/Strider. He is a mysterious stranger sitting in the corner of an inn, staring at Frodo. This must be one of the oldest clichès in the book, but Peter Jackson actually makes it mystifying and exciting without too many effects. In the end, I must give praise to Peter Jackson for making a film that has the same effect on me as it´s title-object has on it´s former bearers: It draws me to it. My own, my love, my p-rrrrrrr-eeeeee-c-i-o-u-sssssssssssssss!

10 out of 10

Breathtaking

Author: Daniel Gately Jr. (danieltheman82@hotmail.com) from North Powder, OR
14 April 2002

I just wanted to point out that I have never read the books so I came into this movie with a very open mind. When I first saw the previews I honestly wasn't sure of what to expect out of this. Some friends of mine read the books and were going on about how Peter Jackson was going to ruin the franchise by making a movie. They were proved wrong. My friends and I went and saw it 2 days after it came out, and needless to say, we were all completely blown away by the beauty of this film.

I may be young and I probably don't look at film-making the same way, but the way that Peter Jackson conveyed those words in the book to the big screen is just complete brilliance. I have never seen anything like it. Middle Earth was beautiful. Choosing New Zealand as the location to film this movie was the best decision ever. From The Shire to Rivendell to Mt. Doom, it was all captured flawlessly by Jackson.

Now on to the actors. What better person than Sir Ian Mckellan to play Gandalf the Grey. My god, the guy breathed eternal life into that character and he did it with such grace. I have to admit that going into this film, I was very skeptical on the choice of Elijah Wood for Frodo, but again, I was proved wrong, as Elijah provided an innocence to the character that I don't think anybody else could have done. All the other actors from Viggo Mortensen to Sean Bean to Liv Tyler did one hell of a job.

In summary, this movie is, arguably, my favorite movie thus far. All the things that I've wanted in a film have been weaved into this fine piece of artistic mastery and I'm definitely anticipating the sequels.

Do not miss this movie, you will be glad you watched it!!

Author: bp7677 from Tennessee
3 April 2002

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is an awesome movie. I have read The Hobbit, The Fellowship of the Ring, and The Two Towers. I have yet to read The Return of the King. While there are imperfections here and there, overall the movie is extremely worthwhile. I absolutely love Tolkien's enchanting books and would recommend them to anyone before I would recommend the movie just becuase there are several more events included in the novel and because Tolkien is such a brilliant writer. Back to the film: I was very surprised that it followed the book so well (compared to other such films based on books). Yet, I was still disappointed that it did not include the scene at Crickhollow, the house of Tom Bombadil, or the incident at the barrow-downs. Also, the most disappointing element was the appearance of Arwen, who does not act as a major character whatsoever in the novel The Fellowship of the Ring. However, I praise the film on many aspects. I thought it was very appropriate to include the "history" of the ring at the beginning, since many of the movie-goers have never read the books and therefore it would be difficult to understand the whole thing about the ring, etc. Also, the scenery was GREAT....just as I imagined it...especially Bilbo's house,the Mines of Moria, among others. The music was very fitting for the movie, as was virtually all of the excellent actors to their characters. Ian McKellan as Gandalf was superb, Elijah Wood as Frodo was great, and Viggo Mortensen as Strider was absolutely perfect...just as described in the book. I highly recommend this film, if for nothing else its brilliant storyline, breathtaking scenery, and excellent actors. Don't miss it!