The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Page 9 of 496: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

As good as hoped for.

Author: ronin1701
22 April 2002

Unlike Star Wars I: Phantom Menace, this movie definitely lived up to all its pre-release hype. Peter Jackson should have won the Best Director "Oscar" for one reason alone: he DIDN'T screw up the movie, and he DID remain true to the original story.

The Greatest Motion Picture Of Cinema History

Author: rob_hyland49 (rob.hyland@blueyonder.co.uk)
18 April 2002

I love this film. I simply love it. This is Tolkiens novel, and the world of Middle-Earth, the characters of Middle-Earth and the events of Middle-Earth! I love this film.

This is the kind of film that will be passed down from generation to generation to generation. It is THAT good.

There are three wizards: Gandalf (Sir Ian McKellen), Saruman (Christopher Lee) and Peter Jackson, the director. The breathtaking detail Jackson has put into this is incredible. Lets start with the acting.

This is a star studded cast, with Elijah Wood in the main role as Frodo, McKellen as mentioned, Viggo Mortensen, Sean Bean, Billy Boyd, Liv Tyler . .. the list goes on and on and on. Each has put 101% into this masterpiece, and it really shows.

The sets are incredible. One can believe they are in Khazad-Dum, or in Bree, or in Hobbiton, or Rivendell particuarly. It will take your breath away, some of the incredible locations. We know each is not real, but there is a hint of realism in there.

This is a special effects bananza, used only when needed. In Khazad-Dum and Isengard particuarly you can almost feel the power given off by the magic in this film.

The costumes are perfect. The score (designed by Howard Shore) is breathtakingly beautiful. And throughout this, Jackson maintains a sense of calm and reality in the film, and it is this inner flare and outer cool that makes him and the entire cast and crew the magicians that they are. Probably the greatest motion picture of cinema history. 10+ out of 10.

Peter Jackson, I salute you....

Author: KGersen from London
17 April 2002

First things first - I've read LOTR probably 3/4 times. & the Silmarillion and bits of the Unfinished Tales and yadda yadda yadda....I however have grown up enough to know that LOTR (the book) is for many a great novel because it relates to when they first read it...it is great within it's context but not the greatest book ever or any of that tosh...IMHO all lists are bunkum anyway.

So having got that off my chest, here is another confession....I was worried, very, very worried about LOTR on the big screen. Would it be a 'Krull', a 'Willow', a 'Beastmaster', a.........urgh,,,Dungeons & Dragons? You know what I mean...fantasy is damn hard to do. The Tolkien imitators that plague the bookshelves prove this as do the whole stackfull of cheesy, hammy fantasy movies with cheesy, hammy names chasing after magical McWidgets to save the nation / planet / galaxy / universe from eternal damnation. I had prepared a crushing hex for Peter Jackson if he inflicted this fate upon LOTR.

But there was a sign of hope, like Glamdring's pale fire in the smoke and flames of the Balrog (er, enough of that) - 3 films. Not 1 mish-mashed jampacked farce-fest. No, 3 full-length films giving the book's epic scale a chance to work it's wonder on the filmgoers.

Well Peter Jackson pulled it off - by resolutely avoiding the 'big-name' actors, by insisting on New Zealand for filming, by used WETA for effects, by nipping & tucking the story where required (I suspect even Jackson could not have kept Tom Bombadil from looking like total clown), by expanding where needed (another writer is very correct that Arwen's importance is only clear in the book during the Appendix).

If you don't like fantasy one little bit...which makes me wonder where exactly your imagination resides....then even with this appalling handicap LOTR 'Fellowship of the Ring' can still enthrall you. If you love the book, the film still does the trick. If you just like being contrary for the sake of it then I guess you won't like this film. But then I doubt you like much else in life either.

Breathtaking! What a Wonderful Film! **Warning! **Spoilers!**

Author: Even Gullord (nekkosduredro@yahoo.no) from Tonsberg, Norway
16 April 2002

Having now seen the film 17 (!) times at the cinema, and written 3 previous imdb user comments, I think it is time to write one final praise of its qualities. My earlier comments have been written without me preparing a script, so I have done that this time. Let me start at the beginning of the film. Galadriel (unseen) starts the opening narration (the world is changed.....) and at this time, no matter how many times I see it, I start gasping for air, and I feel like the film becomes part of me. No film has ever had this effect on me before, without anything really happening, and I can´t explain it. Then the "Theme of the Ring" plays over the films title, and it is so sad, yet beautiful, that it wonderfully prepares you for a tragic and sad story that will be enlivened by humour. Then follows a short retelling of the forging of the Rings of Power, with the unforgettably sad image of the nine kings who will "return" as the Nazgul. And the amazing battle-scene at the foot of Mount Doom, in which the ring comes to Isuldur. He is then ambushed and killed, and the scene where he floats dead in the Anduin brings tears to my eyes no matter how many times I see it. This says a lot about Peter Jacksons achievement: Despite that he has made a film laden with SFX, he has managed to bring back to (big-budget-)movies something basic that has been lost since Star Wars or so: To make a film really affect your emotions! All right, perhaps it hasn´t been entirely lost, but I have never experienced it to this effect. And the ring comes to Gollum, E.T.s bad twin brother, I saw the 20-year edition last Saturday, and that creature had the same fingers, very similar head and body, and a scene in which he stares into the camera the same way as Gollum in Moria, and humans saying (repeatedly)"he (E.T.) came to me." Then follows the first appearance of Frodo, then Gandalf, and their wonderful first exchange (A wizard is never late....) and the magnificent ride through Hobbiton, with fireworks, Gandalf, and the wonderful first frowning, then laughing, then stared into frowning again old woman, who, in a simple way captures the spirit of the hobbit. Actually, I myself grew up in a hobbit-like family in al rural area, and that is perhaps why I like the film so much. In fact, the old woman and her daughter? reminded me of my grandmother and my aunt (her daughter), but enough of that.... Then of course, there is Bilbo. Because the book is so widely read, his disappearance at his own birthday party, and the Ring making him (slightly) aggressive, could easily have been trite on film. But because of Peter Jacksons brilliant direction, and Ian Holms spot-on performance, it comes across as entirely fresh. My favourite moment is when he accuses Gandalf of wanting the ring, Gandalf uses his powers and Bilbo falls into his arms like a child. I´m not going to retell the entire film here, but let´s take the first appearance of Aragorn/Strider. He is a mysterious stranger sitting in the corner of an inn, staring at Frodo. This must be one of the oldest clichès in the book, but Peter Jackson actually makes it mystifying and exciting without too many effects. In the end, I must give praise to Peter Jackson for making a film that has the same effect on me as it´s title-object has on it´s former bearers: It draws me to it. My own, my love, my p-rrrrrrr-eeeeee-c-i-o-u-sssssssssssssss!

10 out of 10

Breathtaking

Author: Daniel Gately Jr. (danieltheman82@hotmail.com) from North Powder, OR
14 April 2002

I just wanted to point out that I have never read the books so I came into this movie with a very open mind. When I first saw the previews I honestly wasn't sure of what to expect out of this. Some friends of mine read the books and were going on about how Peter Jackson was going to ruin the franchise by making a movie. They were proved wrong. My friends and I went and saw it 2 days after it came out, and needless to say, we were all completely blown away by the beauty of this film.

I may be young and I probably don't look at film-making the same way, but the way that Peter Jackson conveyed those words in the book to the big screen is just complete brilliance. I have never seen anything like it. Middle Earth was beautiful. Choosing New Zealand as the location to film this movie was the best decision ever. From The Shire to Rivendell to Mt. Doom, it was all captured flawlessly by Jackson.

Now on to the actors. What better person than Sir Ian Mckellan to play Gandalf the Grey. My god, the guy breathed eternal life into that character and he did it with such grace. I have to admit that going into this film, I was very skeptical on the choice of Elijah Wood for Frodo, but again, I was proved wrong, as Elijah provided an innocence to the character that I don't think anybody else could have done. All the other actors from Viggo Mortensen to Sean Bean to Liv Tyler did one hell of a job.

In summary, this movie is, arguably, my favorite movie thus far. All the things that I've wanted in a film have been weaved into this fine piece of artistic mastery and I'm definitely anticipating the sequels.

A sight to behold

Author: anpwxcat from Utah, America
13 April 2002

Growing up, my dad would always tell me his favorite books were The Lord of the Rings volumes. But I was never interested in fantasies, so I didn't really care. Then I found out that Peter Jackman was making the movies so I told my dad. He became really excited. But still, I didn't care. Until one night in November, when they showed the LOTR special on TV. I was able to catch only the first ten, fifteen minutes and instantly, I wanted to see the movie. I had never read the books. My dad took me and my family to see the movie. I was a bit excited and curious to see how they would do it. Mind you, I knew next to nothing about this story.

I sat through the entire three hours in Middle Earth and fell in love with it. Through parts, I would clutch on my brother's arm, tense and hoping that everyone will make it through a lot of the sticky situations they were in. I fell in love with Legolas and his graceful Elf self. The minute the movie began, I was drawn in. The special effects were terrific. I felt like I was there. I wanted (and still do) to live in Rivendell among the Elves. The backdrops for the movies was fantastic. Sir Ian McKellan's quote about how New Zealand is Middle Earth is so true.

I was very impressed with the casting. I'm a huge movie buff so I have seen plenty of movies and I won't be lying when I say that LOTR has the best casting ever. Every person, the mains and the extras, WAS the character they played. The make-up was incredible. The orcs creeped me out. The Elves entranced me. The Hobbits brought a smile to my face. Elrond, Hugo Weaving, is the perfect Elf King, firm and commanding, yet with love for his people and respect for Frodo. I could go on and on, but I won't.

I loved the fact how PJ was able to make the Hobbits look small in every single scene. I would LOVE to know HOW in the world they did that. I love how the Elves are so graceful and look ethereal.

I know that the movie is three hours long and people balk at that. I took a friend of mine who hasn't seen the movie because it was three hours long. He loved it. He was engrossed and he had never read the book either. This movie is one of the, if not THE, finest piece of work I have seen. I eagerly await "The Two Towers" and "The Return of the King". I definitely recommend this movie for everyone to see at least once. I have seen it four times and will see it yet again soon. I can never get bored of this movie. Go. See it.

I leave you with a quote from Gandalf: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given"

Do not miss this movie, you will be glad you watched it!!

Author: bp7677 from Tennessee
3 April 2002

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is an awesome movie. I have read The Hobbit, The Fellowship of the Ring, and The Two Towers. I have yet to read The Return of the King. While there are imperfections here and there, overall the movie is extremely worthwhile. I absolutely love Tolkien's enchanting books and would recommend them to anyone before I would recommend the movie just becuase there are several more events included in the novel and because Tolkien is such a brilliant writer. Back to the film: I was very surprised that it followed the book so well (compared to other such films based on books). Yet, I was still disappointed that it did not include the scene at Crickhollow, the house of Tom Bombadil, or the incident at the barrow-downs. Also, the most disappointing element was the appearance of Arwen, who does not act as a major character whatsoever in the novel The Fellowship of the Ring. However, I praise the film on many aspects. I thought it was very appropriate to include the "history" of the ring at the beginning, since many of the movie-goers have never read the books and therefore it would be difficult to understand the whole thing about the ring, etc. Also, the scenery was GREAT....just as I imagined it...especially Bilbo's house,the Mines of Moria, among others. The music was very fitting for the movie, as was virtually all of the excellent actors to their characters. Ian McKellan as Gandalf was superb, Elijah Wood as Frodo was great, and Viggo Mortensen as Strider was absolutely perfect...just as described in the book. I highly recommend this film, if for nothing else its brilliant storyline, breathtaking scenery, and excellent actors. Don't miss it!

W.O.W.

Author: Karma-26 from Orange, NSW, Australia
2 April 2002

WOW!! First off, those who complain about the film...ARE YOU NUTS?!?! Films are merely forms of entertainment remember? And this film was very entertaining. The special effects were EXCELLENT!! I have to admit; I fell in love with a couple of actors after watching this movie. Hugo Weaving - always a favourite - made a delicious elf, as did Orlando Bloom. YUMMY!! Ian McKellen was lovely as Gandalf the Grey - GOOD MOVE! And Christopher Lee was really creepy as Saruman the White, but then again, isn't he always?

Now to those who say that this movie has no plot, are you people blind? The plot is right there!! I'll spell it out for you. *Old hobbit (Bilbo) has evil ring, bequeaths it to young hobbit nephew (Frodo) *Frodo and 3 hobbit friends (Merry, Pippin and Samwise) directed by wizard Gandalf to embark on a journey to Rivendale (home of yummy elves) to give ring to elves for safekeeping. Unfortunately, no go. *4 hobbits continue journey with other members of fellowship of ring (Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and Sauron) *Encounter danger *One dies *Journey to be continued in next movie Very basic, and I've probably left out a lot, but there you go.

I really enjoyed this movie like you wouldn't believe - how DID "A Beautiful Mind" beat it? (Mind you, Russell Crowe is a pretty solid actor.) As a fantasy movie it rivals "Harry Potter", I loved it that much. (And I LOVED "Harry Potter" - especially Alan Rickman as Professor Severus Snape) All I have left to say is: 2 thumbs up; 10/10; ***** out of *****.

Good movie; good action!

Author: closeout from california
31 March 2002

The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring is a great film. While a popular complaint is that it is a long, slow movie, I totally disagree with that. The film develops its plot at a good pace unlike other movies that force the entire plot(when they have a plot) down your throat. I'd compare it to Star Wars--epic, long, and fun. Hey, for the people that like LOTR(and we are lots of people), having the movie three hours long is a good thing; we get more movie for our buck! Still, I can see that people who don't like anything related with fantasy will find it boring...but what did you expect?

But, there are some great action sequences. All of the action is very well done and none of it is over-the-top violence. There are five distinct battle scences along with several other thrilling sequences and the long journey in the Caves of Moria. Some other reviewers have stated that the action/violence is too much; I would disagree with you. Without the action sequences, LOTR would be Star Wars(only the original three will do thank you very much Mr. Lucas) without any starship fights or jedi duels...the action is part of the story(without overpowering the story)?

The movie is also top quality in acting, sound, and effects. In my opinion, Boromir was the best character; he had the best internal battle: he wanted to take control of the ring to save his people when in fact he knew that it would corrupt him. Even thought he was a flawed character unlike Aragorn(cool character but not too deep as of yet), Boromir had my sympathy and I could understand his desire to wield the ring to protect his people. Sound was great...a little too much at times. And, the effects were top notch without being overdone. Unlike Star Wars: The Phanton Menace where the effects MADE the movie(actually Natalie Portman was the best effect but that's another story), the special effects in the LOTR seem to complement the story.

My only problem with the story is that it doesn't have a hot blond princess in need of rescue(LOTR is like the Chronicles without Laurana...)

SPOILERS BELOW:

Aragorn chopping the head of the bad guy was tres cool! A little Gladiator-like but wayz cool! Maybe a bit violent for the kids...

Boromir's death sequence was unbelievable(in a good way)! Sean Bean made Boromir's death seem confincing, painful, and heroic; most other heroic deaths are usually very silly but this one was "real." Why the hell didn't he get the Oscar for that?

In the screenplay when Gandalf gets dragged down the chasm by the Balrog, he says, "Fly, you fools" where as in the movie he says, "Run, you fools!" In my opinion, the screenplay gets it right!

END SPOILERS

I just hope The Two Towers and Return of the King are equally good as Fellowship of the Ring...I have no reason to doubt it!!!

Second or third best movie ever.

Author: eric (issernogeennaamover@hotmail.com) from Netherlands
30 March 2002

So I'm biased. I have read the book.

To me, this is the second, or third best movie ever. (I'm still waiting for parts two and three.)

Those who do not know Tolkien's world are completely justified in saying it really is not that good a movie. For the lack of the the real depth of the book, and the world behind it, this turns out as just another fantasy movie.

Yet, for us few, we lucky few (we band of brothers) who know the book (read it seven times and still counting and the silmarillion twice) it is the ultimate movie we have waited for all of our lives! Three hours is too long when listening to my behind that is severely mistreated in those hard cinema chairs (I'll be buying a DVD player just for this one), but it is far too short for telling even one book of this great and epic tale. All nine hours would have been required just for the Fellowship itself, and still, people would complain of what's not in there.

Just twice, during these three hours I could pull myself by power of will away from the story and tell myself: "this guy is man-sized!" and actually manage to see the actor as a man, not the size of a hobbit, for a second before he turned all small again, and I could not stop myself.

Tolkien fever gripped my brain and it did not let go! Elf, dwarves, heroes, villans; it was all there. (Did anyone even notice the 'living' shadow the Balrog cast?). The makers of this movie did manage to recreate the world as it lives in our hearts, and as such, anyone who likes the book, will surely love the movie. Only now did they make the movie, and they were right, for only now, they have the technology and the vision to create the world of Tolkien and present it to us, here on earth in its full glory.

I for one, was swept away in the powerfull story, that was enhanced by director's choice to tell it as it happened, instead of a huge 20 page flash-back aka update.

I could fill in the blanks, where bits and pieces were left out to keep the pace of the movie. To me, it was brilliant. The backgrounds were glorious (is that really just one country!?). The characters are truly alive in the world as the 'master' indended them to be.

Still, there are some exceptions. There are some parts of the story where the need for time and storytelling of the director cut into the book.

[NOTE POSSIBLE SPOILERS HERE]

Why did the hobbits ever agree to go on with Aragorn? In the movie there's no reason whatsoever. Aragorn's poem, and Sam's "look more fair and feel more foul" was essential to that scene. And Aragorn should have been seen climbing like a shadow over Bree's walls.

Aragorn was wearing his broken sword in Bree! He even drew it and showed it to the hobbits.

Saruman did not join Sauron. He coveted the ring for himself to take his place! (BAD director! BAD!)

Ok, so Tolkien wasn't the most pro-women-lib guy in the wold (hey, the book is from 1949!), but Arwen still had no place in there except as love interest (not that I have anything against women, I still consider them the best idea God ever had, she simply does not belong in there!). Glorfindel does; he was an elf of the west, one powerful enough to scare even the nazgul (remember the bright light Frodo saw)! He was as great a force as Elrond (descendant of Luthien and Beren!) or even Galadriel. You just can not replace him because you need some 'girl power' and hired an expensive actress who's breakthrough was Armageddon of all movies!

On the other hand, a girl next to me in the cinema was kind to me by gasping in dismay as Gandalf fell in Moria (wide eyes and even hand before her mouth!) Oh, to live through that sweet sorrow again. That alone, should tell you the storytelling has been compulsive, powerfull and fully persuasive.

[END SPOILERS]

For us who already know the story, we wish to see the story told and we are not disappointed. It has been told -I surely believe- as most of us would have done it ourselves! The cast cannot be improved on (well, a full beard for Gandalf perhaps) but the casting for Aragorn and Boromir are superb. The locations, they are as I have always envisioned them (can't wait for Mordor). And at every step, you can't wait to see what happens next, even though you do know the tale intimately.

Alike the book, the movie is a powerfull and compelling tale that drowns you in J.R.R.'s world, and it will not let you go. Having witnessed the brith of an Uruk Hai, I'll never be the same again.

The most common complaint I heard about this movie is of people cursing they had to wait a whole year before being able to see part 2.

I agree. There should be a law against that!