The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Page 9 of 506: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

A beautiful film that never drags once

Author: FilmSchoolWriter from the World
29 January 2006

I have never been a fan of Tolkein's works. Whenever I've tried to read them, I've become bored and have stopped bothering. It's taken me a while to get around to watching The Lord of the Rings, but I am very glad that I have now seen it. In fact, it actually made me read the books and I prefer the movies to the books.

One of the things that I enjoyed so much about this movie is the absolutely *stunning* cinematography. Filming in New Zealand was a brilliant move and I am so glad that this was filmed "on location" instead of in the studio. I realize that a good deal of this movie is CGI, but it flows beautifully and there aren't any particular moments where you say, "AHA! Green screen! Right there!"

I truly enjoyed the performances given by the lead actors. Especially Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn. His performance is authentic and he obviously strove to not only play, but *become* his character. Orlando Bloom is wonderful as Legolas and this is easily one of my favorite performances from him. Although in all technicality Legolas is a supporting character, he is an individual supporting character. In the fellowship, there are no other elves for him to be supporting, so in that aspect he is a very individual character, even if he is not the lead. Elijah Wood is good as well -- he does a wonderful job of capturing the simplicity of Frodo and his depressed emotional state. And more credit to Mortensen as well as Liv Tyler with their emotion charged love scenes. A rare thing in Hollywood, these scenes are more sensual then sexual -- a welcome relief from the modern Hollywood blockbuster that just screams sex.

Many people aren't particularly wowed by Peter Jackson's directing ability. But I have to say that I think he did a wonderful job. Despite the 178 minutes running time, the movie never drags once. Jackson did a good job of getting as much as he possibly could out of his actors and that is easily the film's biggest asset. This is an amazing film and everyone should see it.

THE BEST FILM EVER MADE!!!!

Author: sur4dude03 from Covina, CA
22 March 2003

This movie could not have been better!! Peter Jackson smothers you in a world of enchantment and shows you things you never want to forget!! People might say that it was to unreal and the wizard's duel was dumb and to 'magical'! Thats where the term "F-A-N-T-A-S-Y" comes in!! This was an epic adventure with no flaws at all!! This amazing film, although it did not get BEST PICTURE ( WHICH IS BECAUSE THE AWARD PICKERS ARE WAITING UNTIL THE 3RD INSTALLMENT IS MADE), this is truly the greatest movie that has ever been made. It takes you back to Middle Earth and never lets you go, Lord of the Rings is amazing, enchanting, engrossing, incredible, enthralling, thrilling, terrific, and above all, PERFECT!!!!!!

I love this film!

Author: ringbearer2003 from U.S.A.
10 March 2003

I have always loved the books written by J.R.R. Tolkien, but I never expected that anyone would ever make a film out of it, or that it would be such a big success! Peter Jackson made the books real to me, and I try to watch it at least once a month, if not a lot more than that! The entire cast was perfectly placed, and they all worked so good together, that I am so mad that they don't let the other two films out on DVD right away!

Awesome

Author: Ginger White (ginger.white@afn.frankfurt.army.mil) from Frankfurt Germany
23 February 2003

I know it's been out for a while, but it is still awesome. Great cast of actors. Awesome work!! I have not enjoyed a movie so much in my life, I could watch it over and over and over if I had the time, but of course I have to do something constructive with my life and my employer won't stand for it.

I Almost Gave It A Nine (9)...

Author: hawkeye_pierce2 from Raleigh, NC
19 July 2002

...but gave it a 10 because the stunning visuals (and I don't just mean "FX" I mean actual retinal intake at the utter aesthetic level) made up for the tiny bit of creeping out I got from looking directly into Elijah Wood's face all movie (not kidding). Short of that, I am almost excited and giddy such a new movie has climbed to #4 all time (on IMDb at least) but frankly it earned it. Any movie almost as good as Rain Man (but in polar-opposite ways) deserves to be #4...(I too loved Godfather and especially The Shawshank Redemption, but Rain Man is arguably the greatest film ever for many, vastly different reasons). I digress, no one should miss Lord of the Rings and I'm just glad I caught it at the Blue Ridge in Raleigh 8mos after it premiered (seeing this for the 1st time on video/at home would have been my loss).

An epic worthy of it's hype

Author: NateW from California, USA
2 July 2002

The long awaited live action adaption of the classic Tolkein novel Lord of the Rings more than justified the massive hype surrounding it. Simply put, it is one of the best movies I've ever seen. I have not been so utterly blown away by a film in a long time like I was when I saw this. Every, and I mean every, aspect of this film is executed flawlessly. The ensemble performances are truly fantastic, especially by Wood and McKellan. All I can say is I can't wait for it to be released on DVD and I can't wait for The Two Towers and Return of the King to come to theatrical release. I think we have finally seen the arrival of a trilogy that matches the magnitude of the original Star Wars trilogy. 10/10

Exceeded my every expectation

Author: Andrew Wetzel from Cameron, Missouri
1 July 2002

When I first learned that this movie was being made I unconciously conjured images of the horrid Lord of the Rings made in the '70's.

There were so many things that could have gone wrong with a movie of this magnitude, but to my great pleasure none of them did. Peter Jackson and company did an extraordinary job of bringing this incredible book to life.

The sheer amount of detail is astonishing. Nothing since Star Wars has created such an amazing fantasy world. But none of this would matter if the acting wasn't executed to perfection. Every actor fits their role to perfectly.

I only have a couple of complaints. The romance between Aragorn and Arwen was only briefly touched and seemed a little forced. We're only given a couple lines of dialogue about the impact of their relationship but nothing that shows why Arwen should want to give up her immortality. I can only hope that this will be fleshed out in the sequels. I was also a little disappointed to see so much of Lothlorien cut out of the movie. We don't get to see any of Gimli's affection towards Galadriel or the gift-giving scene and much more that occured there.

But these are very minor complaints. As long as you aren't a die hard fan who will be mortally offended by the changes from the book to movie or just plain against anything fantastical in nature, then you should thoroughly enjoy this movie. I give it 10/10.

Greatest movie since Indiana Jones and Star Wars

Author: cookiesap from East USA
29 June 2002

I have not enjoyed any movie as much as Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, since the 3 original Star Wars movies and Indiana Jones:Raiders of the Lost Ark.

It has all the elements of a good movie: Adventure, an epic story, romance, super special effects, awesome acting, and an unforgettable manuscript with excellent dialogues. Although the book is much longer, and we never see the jolly good fellow Tom Bobadil, Peter Jackson still did the best possible job without making it into a 10 hour-long movie.

I can't wait for The Two Towers

an amazing movie, great story and beauty

Author: Josh (str8dking@hotmail.com) from grand bay, al
29 June 2002

the lord of the rings: fellowship of the ring is probably the most beautiful movie i have ever seen. Every scene is breathtaking, it is truly an amazing job jackson did. If you have ever read the lord of the rings or the hobbit, you know what i mean when i say its almost exactly what you would imagine middle earth to look like.

Sure, they changed some things from the book, but i think they did a better job than most movies taken from novels. I wouldn't say that this was as good of a "film" as the usual suspects, fight club, or the shawshank redemption, but it was probably the best "movie" i have ever had the pleasure of viewing.

Tolkien's Brilliant Vision Realized Into A Perfect Film

Author: jaesboxer from Canada
26 June 2002

For the thousands of fans who thought it couldn't be done, to the skeptics and the critics who observed Peter Jackson's adaptation of the Lord Of The Rings into a trilogy would be the next Ishtar, a disaster of epic proportions, allay your fears. The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring is the most daring cinematic event to take place in years, and despite the fact it undeservedly lost the best picture oscar to A Beautiful Mind, it is, I strongly believe, a film for the ages. NOt since Gone With THe Wind has an epic tale, critically acclaimed, been adapted into a film which is astounding in its own right. The sets are marvelous, the characters portrayed to perfection (Most notably Ian McKellen as Gandalf), and the mythology of Middle-Earth brought to vivid life, combining to make a film that is both spectacular in its grandeur and engaging in its characters. This is a film I believe equal to Lawrence Of Arabia in its scope, and I am anxiously awaiting the sequel THe Two Towers being released this Christmas.