The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Page 8 of 495: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

A brilliant film

Author: rachi1409 from South Australia, Australia
2 July 2002

I was sceptical going to see this movie, thinking it couldn't possibly live up to expectations. I was also afraid I would be disappointed if it didn't stay true to the amazing novel by J.R.R. Tolkien, which is one of my favourite books. However, I was pleasantly surprised by not only how true it was to the book, but how well done it was. The acting was superb, the costumes and scenery were perfect, (scarily, just how I had imagined them, it was like the film makers read my mind), and the story was extremely well done. Even though it was a long film at around 3 hours, it didn't seem long at all and the script writers managed to keep the main storyline while omitting the "side stories" which are in the novel, and which would only make the film complicated, confusing and far too long. This is one of the best films I have ever seen, and I cannot wait to see the next installment. Unfortunately, it doesn't come out in Australia for another 6 months. But I have a feeling it will be well worth the wait. If you haven't already seen it - do so! You won't be disappointed, especially if you are a fan of the novel.

Exceeded my every expectation

Author: Andrew Wetzel from Cameron, Missouri
1 July 2002

When I first learned that this movie was being made I unconciously conjured images of the horrid Lord of the Rings made in the '70's.

There were so many things that could have gone wrong with a movie of this magnitude, but to my great pleasure none of them did. Peter Jackson and company did an extraordinary job of bringing this incredible book to life.

The sheer amount of detail is astonishing. Nothing since Star Wars has created such an amazing fantasy world. But none of this would matter if the acting wasn't executed to perfection. Every actor fits their role to perfectly.

I only have a couple of complaints. The romance between Aragorn and Arwen was only briefly touched and seemed a little forced. We're only given a couple lines of dialogue about the impact of their relationship but nothing that shows why Arwen should want to give up her immortality. I can only hope that this will be fleshed out in the sequels. I was also a little disappointed to see so much of Lothlorien cut out of the movie. We don't get to see any of Gimli's affection towards Galadriel or the gift-giving scene and much more that occured there.

But these are very minor complaints. As long as you aren't a die hard fan who will be mortally offended by the changes from the book to movie or just plain against anything fantastical in nature, then you should thoroughly enjoy this movie. I give it 10/10.

Greatest movie since Indiana Jones and Star Wars

Author: cookiesap from East USA
29 June 2002

I have not enjoyed any movie as much as Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, since the 3 original Star Wars movies and Indiana Jones:Raiders of the Lost Ark.

It has all the elements of a good movie: Adventure, an epic story, romance, super special effects, awesome acting, and an unforgettable manuscript with excellent dialogues. Although the book is much longer, and we never see the jolly good fellow Tom Bobadil, Peter Jackson still did the best possible job without making it into a 10 hour-long movie.

I can't wait for The Two Towers

an amazing movie, great story and beauty

Author: Josh (str8dking@hotmail.com) from grand bay, al
29 June 2002

the lord of the rings: fellowship of the ring is probably the most beautiful movie i have ever seen. Every scene is breathtaking, it is truly an amazing job jackson did. If you have ever read the lord of the rings or the hobbit, you know what i mean when i say its almost exactly what you would imagine middle earth to look like.

Sure, they changed some things from the book, but i think they did a better job than most movies taken from novels. I wouldn't say that this was as good of a "film" as the usual suspects, fight club, or the shawshank redemption, but it was probably the best "movie" i have ever had the pleasure of viewing.

Tolkien's Brilliant Vision Realized Into A Perfect Film

Author: jaesboxer from Canada
26 June 2002

For the thousands of fans who thought it couldn't be done, to the skeptics and the critics who observed Peter Jackson's adaptation of the Lord Of The Rings into a trilogy would be the next Ishtar, a disaster of epic proportions, allay your fears. The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring is the most daring cinematic event to take place in years, and despite the fact it undeservedly lost the best picture oscar to A Beautiful Mind, it is, I strongly believe, a film for the ages. NOt since Gone With THe Wind has an epic tale, critically acclaimed, been adapted into a film which is astounding in its own right. The sets are marvelous, the characters portrayed to perfection (Most notably Ian McKellen as Gandalf), and the mythology of Middle-Earth brought to vivid life, combining to make a film that is both spectacular in its grandeur and engaging in its characters. This is a film I believe equal to Lawrence Of Arabia in its scope, and I am anxiously awaiting the sequel THe Two Towers being released this Christmas.

Wonderful Movie

Author: Jennie Parker from OBX
25 June 2002

WARNING: SPOILERS

I loved this adopation of the movie. I thought that the casting was good, (so many hot guys, so little time to see them!) and Elijah Wood was perfect as Frodo. Sean Astin was amazing as Sam Gamgee, the loyal and clumsy servant of Frodo. Dominc Monohag and Billy Boyd pulled off Merry Brandybuck and Pippin Took wonderfully. Even though they changed Arwen's part a little bit, and they cut out one of my favorite charecters, the movie mostly followed the book. My favorite part was when Gandalf fell into the abyss in Moria ("Fly, you fools!") and I eagerly await The Two Towers, coming in December of 2002

Breath- taking movie on all levels

Author: sweet_sugar_161 from White Rock, Canada
1 June 2002

Warning! Small hints one may not want too hear if they want to be completely surprised

This is an excellent, amazing and breath taking movie on all levels. I have to admit, that after the first time I saw it I didn?t like it at all. Probably because I had for a long time held a grudge against fantasy and sci-fi. After seeing it a second time though, I fell completely in love with the whole thing. I read all three books in 2 weeks after that and it is the only time that I found that a movie adapted from a book was just as enjoyable (if not better in some ways) as the book.

Peter Jackson was very brave too take on this project but it is evident that he really cared about what he was doing because it is so amazing! I thing however that they?re could have been less violence and perhaps they could of put in a bit more of the beginning of the book, where you really get a feel for the simple and happy life of the hobbits. Even so, these are only small problems and they are all made up for with the exquisite scenery, amazing cast, wonderful music and of course the breath taking special effects. This movie made me cry, laugh and scream and there was never a moment when I wasn?t doing one of these.

I don?t think a better cast could have been chosen. All the actors seem as if they actually could be the character they play in real life. Elijah Wood is perfect for Frodo. He may not be the strongest actor but Frodo, especially in the first book, is not a terribly dramatic character. He also looks exactly like all the descriptions of Frodo apart from that he?s not fat, which is a good thing as far as I?m concerned. I would of chosen him just for those eyes. Sean Astin does one of the best jobs portraying his part. As the innocent, common-sensed Sam he shows that although he is deathly afraid of what lies ahead his love for Frodo is stronger and he will not leave his side until the end. Billy Boyd is hilarious as the scatter-brained but courageous Pippin (my favorite character) and Dominic Monaghan is equally good as his brave cousin Merry. Viggo Mortenson is amazing. It is almost impossible for me too believe that he isn?t really Aragorn. He manages too look old and dangerous and at the same time young and noble. Sir Ian McKellen gives another outstanding performance. I don?t see why he wasn?t born a wizard, he suits the part so well. His academy award nomination was well earned but the fact that he didn?t win wasn?t right. Orlando Bloom is excellent as the elf Legolas. He walks so gracefully and lightly (meaning no offense, of course) and his archery looks as though he took years too learn it. He is somewhat of a role model for me, being an aspiring actress because this was his first real role! John Rhys-Davies has real ?dwarf? personality. Indignant and competitive. He manages too show very well what a ?real dwarf? was like and not like the ridiculous dwarves in Snow White and so on. Sean Bean, although his part wasn?t very large, shows very well how Boromir is slowly being taken by the power of the ring. The two women in this movie Liv Tyler as the beautiful elf princess who is in love with Aragorn and Cate Blanchett as the powerful elf queen Galadriel are just as good as all the rest. Although Arwen is not a big character in the book I am glad she is given a bigger part because the story needed more women. Cate Blanchett once again did an outstanding performance.

I have to give credit as well too the evil characters. Christopher Lee is very powerful as Saruman the wizard who is taken by the evil will of Sauron and drawn to the power of The Ring. Andy Serkis, who does the voice of Gollum didn?t have many lines I this movie but he becomes an important character later on. The reason I menchain him is because he does an extremely good voice for Gollum that hardly sounds human. I tried doing that voice while reading the book out loud and got a sore throat plus I wasn?t even very good at it.

Although they?re is much more to this movie, I have no time too talk about it. They?re aren?t even any suitable words in the English language to describe the exquisiteness of the special effects. All I can say is they are amazing! The sets, costumes and make-up were also extremely good. It is a miracle that they were able too re-create Middle-earth and it?s people almost exactly as it is described by Tokien.

All other movies that I would of considered excellent movies now seem worse because I have The Lord Of The Rings to compare them too. This movie is by far the best movie I have ever seen and I can?t imagine that anything could ever outdo it except perhaps the second and third installments of the trilogy! I would give this movie, as well as the book, all the stars there are in the universe out of 10!

Excellent Science Fiction in the Tradition of "Star Wars".

Author: tfrizzell from United States
22 May 2002

Outstanding first film of the franchise which received a whopping 13 Oscar nominations and definitely makes a case for being the best film of 2001. "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" is excellent story-telling that is told in an epic style that is rarely seen in the cinema these days. The film uses new technologies and old customs to create an amazing experience. Elijah Wood is entrusted to destroy the most powerful ring created in Middle Earth and it is up to him to cast it into the depths of fire from which it came many, many centuries earlier. Sean Astin, Viggo Mortensen, Sean Bean and John Rhys-Davies make the large impressions as they are among those attempting to assist Wood in his all-or-nothing quest. Ian McKellen (Oscar-nominated) gives his greatest performance to date as he steals every scene and gives the film an element of grace that few could have done. Other high-class actors like Ian Holm and Cate Blanchett stand out among the ensemble. The movie is much more than entertainment. It is a film that shows that the smallest of people can make the biggest difference in the most important of times. The elements of love, friendship and goodness are major themes. All this makes "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" one of the best movies of all time. 5 stars out of 5.

surprising

Author: DieGefaehrtin (chill_maus@hotmail.com) from Vienna, Austria
21 May 2002

well, "the lord of the rings" has always been my favourite book. when i first heard about the movie, i decided to boycott it. I mean, it's so annoying to not be the only one loving the novel anymore. for years i've tried to convince people to read the book and nobody wanted to/had the time to/was interessted in it. and just because there was some hollywood-blockbuster made, everybody around me has turned into a "lord of the rings-expert". so, can't change that anyway but didn't ever want to watch the movie because I thought there was no chance that anyone could ever bring the shire to live the way i've been imagining it. boy, was i wrong... some friends of mine "convinced" me to watch it (=told me they had tickets for "Le pacte de loupes" and waited for me to find out which movie we were actually watching) And, what can I say, I loved it. i totally lost myself in the beautiful landscape and the (let's not deny it) HOT actors. Although I should hate my friends for tricking me into watching it, i'm now a big fan of the movie myself.

Quick Comment

Author: daredevil_81 from London, UK.
17 May 2002

After seeing LOR, I was completely amazed by how Peter Jackson did absolutely amazing adaptation of the first novel. The acting was top notch, the special effects where used as a tool for the film, not the film was the tool for the special effects. It goes to show that good filmmakers are still around. Lucas should of watch LOR before he made Episode 2 (or before making Episode 3) and take notes on what real film making is all about, what if Peter Jackson directing Star Wars Episode 3? If he did it would have save the Star Wars Saga, and rescue it from the unbearable cheese of first 2 pre-quels. Besides the best Star Wars episode i.e. ‘Empire Strikes back', wasn't made by Lucas but studio master Irvin Kershner. It goes to show that the Star Wars medium is brilliant, but with wrong directing it can be pure crap. And the LOR medium is equally awesome to Star Wars, but thank heavens that LOR had a good director. even though LOR books was one of the influences for Lucas to create the Star Wars saga anyway. Besides I shouldn't have compared LOR and Star Wars, but it was a natural Instinct to do so of the two Epic tales of good against evil. Peter Jackson doesn't care about world class box office sells, he cares about world class film making and that feeling is present within the film, thus making LOR refreshing to see.

P.S. I know I will get criticised for what I said, I dont care.