The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Page 8 of 498: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

A beautiful film that never drags once

Author: FilmSchoolWriter from the World
29 January 2006

I have never been a fan of Tolkein's works. Whenever I've tried to read them, I've become bored and have stopped bothering. It's taken me a while to get around to watching The Lord of the Rings, but I am very glad that I have now seen it. In fact, it actually made me read the books and I prefer the movies to the books.

One of the things that I enjoyed so much about this movie is the absolutely *stunning* cinematography. Filming in New Zealand was a brilliant move and I am so glad that this was filmed "on location" instead of in the studio. I realize that a good deal of this movie is CGI, but it flows beautifully and there aren't any particular moments where you say, "AHA! Green screen! Right there!"

I truly enjoyed the performances given by the lead actors. Especially Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn. His performance is authentic and he obviously strove to not only play, but *become* his character. Orlando Bloom is wonderful as Legolas and this is easily one of my favorite performances from him. Although in all technicality Legolas is a supporting character, he is an individual supporting character. In the fellowship, there are no other elves for him to be supporting, so in that aspect he is a very individual character, even if he is not the lead. Elijah Wood is good as well -- he does a wonderful job of capturing the simplicity of Frodo and his depressed emotional state. And more credit to Mortensen as well as Liv Tyler with their emotion charged love scenes. A rare thing in Hollywood, these scenes are more sensual then sexual -- a welcome relief from the modern Hollywood blockbuster that just screams sex.

Many people aren't particularly wowed by Peter Jackson's directing ability. But I have to say that I think he did a wonderful job. Despite the 178 minutes running time, the movie never drags once. Jackson did a good job of getting as much as he possibly could out of his actors and that is easily the film's biggest asset. This is an amazing film and everyone should see it.

I Almost Gave It A Nine (9)...

Author: hawkeye_pierce2 from Raleigh, NC
19 July 2002

...but gave it a 10 because the stunning visuals (and I don't just mean "FX" I mean actual retinal intake at the utter aesthetic level) made up for the tiny bit of creeping out I got from looking directly into Elijah Wood's face all movie (not kidding). Short of that, I am almost excited and giddy such a new movie has climbed to #4 all time (on IMDb at least) but frankly it earned it. Any movie almost as good as Rain Man (but in polar-opposite ways) deserves to be #4...(I too loved Godfather and especially The Shawshank Redemption, but Rain Man is arguably the greatest film ever for many, vastly different reasons). I digress, no one should miss Lord of the Rings and I'm just glad I caught it at the Blue Ridge in Raleigh 8mos after it premiered (seeing this for the 1st time on video/at home would have been my loss).

Amazing, breathtaking, brilliantly wonderful!!

Author: rachi1409 from Australia
6 July 2002

This film is the most amazing journey I have ever been on. Not only was the movie enjoyable at the time, but I am holding my breath until the next one comes out! Although there are many characters in this film, it is made simple to follow and absolutley entertaining to watch. There is no lack in performance, particularly by Ian Holm (Bilbo Baggins), Orlando Bloom (Legolas), Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn), and Hugo Weaving (Elrond), oh yeah and Elijah Wood (Frodo Baggins) oh and also Cate Blanchett (Galadrial)..did I also mention Liv Tyler??? (Arwen). Look, the whole cast is just amazing, I really can't complain about lack of talent, and believe me, I'm picky. Don't go and see this movie if you are looking for just something short and funny. This is a deep movie which has great morals such as "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future", and will leave you pondering it for days afterwards and you may perhaps start reading the books! It is simply a dream...all the actors you could ever hope for under one roof! This movie is both magical, and suspensful. I recommend it to those who love fantasy and movies with lots of substance. This really is a journey you won't want to miss!

Oh... the brilliance that is Peter

Author: Elanor Rigby (singedelopera@aol.com) from A sad place
6 July 2002

The more and more one thinks of it, the more one reads Tolkien and appreciates it, the more and more brilliant this movie becomes. Unlike Harry Potter, whose scenes were completely stripped from the book and had no imagination of its own (not to mention details that were changed for no good reason), this work not only has a soul of its own, but manages to keep with Tolkien's original work... I love this film! Tis Brilliance!

A word on Casting: perfect. My only qualm is that Galadriel (Cate Blanchett) was a little iffy. Tolkien makes it a very clear that there is no evil in Galadriel or Lothlorien, but the audience never really gets this as we are all wondering if her skin is going to shed violently to reveal a hideous monster in the service of Sauron. Nothing to depreciate the value that is this film though. The emotional range is perfect, the quirkiness of the hobbits is perfect, the cast of characters is perfect... I LOVE YOU PETER! Now it is up to them not to ruin the next two. As Peter has done so well with the first one, however, I don't see how he or his writing team could. 10/10

An epic worthy of it's hype

Author: NateW from California, USA
2 July 2002

The long awaited live action adaption of the classic Tolkein novel Lord of the Rings more than justified the massive hype surrounding it. Simply put, it is one of the best movies I've ever seen. I have not been so utterly blown away by a film in a long time like I was when I saw this. Every, and I mean every, aspect of this film is executed flawlessly. The ensemble performances are truly fantastic, especially by Wood and McKellan. All I can say is I can't wait for it to be released on DVD and I can't wait for The Two Towers and Return of the King to come to theatrical release. I think we have finally seen the arrival of a trilogy that matches the magnitude of the original Star Wars trilogy. 10/10

A brilliant film

Author: rachi1409 from South Australia, Australia
2 July 2002

I was sceptical going to see this movie, thinking it couldn't possibly live up to expectations. I was also afraid I would be disappointed if it didn't stay true to the amazing novel by J.R.R. Tolkien, which is one of my favourite books. However, I was pleasantly surprised by not only how true it was to the book, but how well done it was. The acting was superb, the costumes and scenery were perfect, (scarily, just how I had imagined them, it was like the film makers read my mind), and the story was extremely well done. Even though it was a long film at around 3 hours, it didn't seem long at all and the script writers managed to keep the main storyline while omitting the "side stories" which are in the novel, and which would only make the film complicated, confusing and far too long. This is one of the best films I have ever seen, and I cannot wait to see the next installment. Unfortunately, it doesn't come out in Australia for another 6 months. But I have a feeling it will be well worth the wait. If you haven't already seen it - do so! You won't be disappointed, especially if you are a fan of the novel.

Exceeded my every expectation

Author: Andrew Wetzel from Cameron, Missouri
1 July 2002

When I first learned that this movie was being made I unconciously conjured images of the horrid Lord of the Rings made in the '70's.

There were so many things that could have gone wrong with a movie of this magnitude, but to my great pleasure none of them did. Peter Jackson and company did an extraordinary job of bringing this incredible book to life.

The sheer amount of detail is astonishing. Nothing since Star Wars has created such an amazing fantasy world. But none of this would matter if the acting wasn't executed to perfection. Every actor fits their role to perfectly.

I only have a couple of complaints. The romance between Aragorn and Arwen was only briefly touched and seemed a little forced. We're only given a couple lines of dialogue about the impact of their relationship but nothing that shows why Arwen should want to give up her immortality. I can only hope that this will be fleshed out in the sequels. I was also a little disappointed to see so much of Lothlorien cut out of the movie. We don't get to see any of Gimli's affection towards Galadriel or the gift-giving scene and much more that occured there.

But these are very minor complaints. As long as you aren't a die hard fan who will be mortally offended by the changes from the book to movie or just plain against anything fantastical in nature, then you should thoroughly enjoy this movie. I give it 10/10.

Greatest movie since Indiana Jones and Star Wars

Author: cookiesap from East USA
29 June 2002

I have not enjoyed any movie as much as Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, since the 3 original Star Wars movies and Indiana Jones:Raiders of the Lost Ark.

It has all the elements of a good movie: Adventure, an epic story, romance, super special effects, awesome acting, and an unforgettable manuscript with excellent dialogues. Although the book is much longer, and we never see the jolly good fellow Tom Bobadil, Peter Jackson still did the best possible job without making it into a 10 hour-long movie.

I can't wait for The Two Towers

an amazing movie, great story and beauty

Author: Josh (str8dking@hotmail.com) from grand bay, al
29 June 2002

the lord of the rings: fellowship of the ring is probably the most beautiful movie i have ever seen. Every scene is breathtaking, it is truly an amazing job jackson did. If you have ever read the lord of the rings or the hobbit, you know what i mean when i say its almost exactly what you would imagine middle earth to look like.

Sure, they changed some things from the book, but i think they did a better job than most movies taken from novels. I wouldn't say that this was as good of a "film" as the usual suspects, fight club, or the shawshank redemption, but it was probably the best "movie" i have ever had the pleasure of viewing.

Tolkien's Brilliant Vision Realized Into A Perfect Film

Author: jaesboxer from Canada
26 June 2002

For the thousands of fans who thought it couldn't be done, to the skeptics and the critics who observed Peter Jackson's adaptation of the Lord Of The Rings into a trilogy would be the next Ishtar, a disaster of epic proportions, allay your fears. The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring is the most daring cinematic event to take place in years, and despite the fact it undeservedly lost the best picture oscar to A Beautiful Mind, it is, I strongly believe, a film for the ages. NOt since Gone With THe Wind has an epic tale, critically acclaimed, been adapted into a film which is astounding in its own right. The sets are marvelous, the characters portrayed to perfection (Most notably Ian McKellen as Gandalf), and the mythology of Middle-Earth brought to vivid life, combining to make a film that is both spectacular in its grandeur and engaging in its characters. This is a film I believe equal to Lawrence Of Arabia in its scope, and I am anxiously awaiting the sequel THe Two Towers being released this Christmas.