The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Page 7 of 500: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

A Film for Our Times

Author: NORWOLF1 from United States
1 June 2002

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings is a movie for our times. If we look past the stunning visual effects, lush scenery, and spectacular action sequences, and listen to the wisdom of Gandalf and Galadriel we hear the quiet whisper of the true meaning of the film- heroism. The message of this film is that true heroes are not the great and powerful, but the everyday person placed unexpectedly into trying circumstances. What a message at this time in our country's history. On September 11th we saw normal, everyday peoples lives changed suddenly, unexpectedly. They were forced to be heroes, to work to save not only their own lives, but the lives of others too. As Gandalf says, we do not choose what times we live in, but we choose what we do with the time we have.

Remember this theme and focus on Frodo's trials and perserverance whenever you watch this movie. Remember the loyalty and friendship of Sam. That is what this movie is truly about.

Peter Jackson has created a visually stunning film, filled with action, yet rich with meaning. He has for the most part stayed true to the themes and sequences in the books. While he has changed some characters and scenes, those changes do not significantly alter the plot and in some instances actually improve it.

Though the movie is played out on a grand scale, the film is really about a story of one little hobbit, Frodo, and his unexpected challenge of having to be a hero.

The score by Howard Shore is superb, quite worthy of the Oscar it received. The score is destined to become a classic.

The cinematography is also superb, also definitely worthy of its Oscar.

My one criticism, is that Saruman is given more time on screen than in the books. I felt he should be more so behind the scenes as he was in the books. The more sinister evil is the evil that cannot be seen. Though Christopher Lee, as always, is superb.

The rest of the cast is also superb, especially Ian McKellen as Gandalf and Elijah Wood as Frodo. Kate Blanchett and Liv Tyler are also excellent in their roles, bringing a strong female presence.

Author: DieGefaehrtin ( from Vienna, Austria
21 May 2002

well, "the lord of the rings" has always been my favourite book. when i first heard about the movie, i decided to boycott it. I mean, it's so annoying to not be the only one loving the novel anymore. for years i've tried to convince people to read the book and nobody wanted to/had the time to/was interessted in it. and just because there was some hollywood-blockbuster made, everybody around me has turned into a "lord of the rings-expert". so, can't change that anyway but didn't ever want to watch the movie because I thought there was no chance that anyone could ever bring the shire to live the way i've been imagining it. boy, was i wrong... some friends of mine "convinced" me to watch it (=told me they had tickets for "Le pacte de loupes" and waited for me to find out which movie we were actually watching) And, what can I say, I loved it. i totally lost myself in the beautiful landscape and the (let's not deny it) HOT actors. Although I should hate my friends for tricking me into watching it, i'm now a big fan of the movie myself.

And to think I nearly saw A BEAUTIFUL MIND instead

Author: Bon_Jovi_chick from Manchester England
17 May 2002

I didnt see it until Easter. It was a choice between ET, A BEAUTIFUL MIND or LORD OF THE RINGS. Me and my mum decided "what the heck lets see LOTR" and afterwards I was like WOW!!!

The effects were so cool, the story was easier to follow than the book was and Christopher Lee was soooooooo cool!

Id give it 10/10 and bring LOTR 2!!!!

Praise for LOTR

Author: soccer1818 from Georgia
6 May 2002

I personally love The Fellowship of the Ring. I think that it is a fabulous movie and a wonderful adaptation of Tolkien's masterpiece. For all of you that were bored by LOTR or thought that the movie was too slow, you missed half the movie. The story is not just about the journey from the Shire to Mordor. The characters, their relationships, the battle of good vs. evil - these things are the heart of the work and fill those supposedly "slow" times. If you read LOTR before you saw the movie then you understood all of these things. If not, then you have missed out. The relationship between Frodo and Sam, Aragorn and the whole fellowship, Legolas and Gimli - they are part of why I love the book and movie. The strength of their friendships are more powerful than anything else in the novel/movie.

Do JRR Tolkien and Peter Jackson justice (and yourself a favor), read The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers before you see Two Towers in December. PJ made the movie for those of us who love LOTR not for those who love movies. If you read Two Towers before you see the movie, not only will you understand the story better b/c there are going to be a lot of new characters, but you will appreciate the movie more. You will love the characters and better appreciate their individual struggles if you read the book first.

I have one more thing to say, I love every single one of the actors and actresses in Fellowship of the Ring. They seem to step perfectly into the characters that Tolkien created. Hats off to Peter Jackson, Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Sean Astin, Viggo Mortensen, Christopher Lee, all the other actors/actresses, and to all those who worked behind the scenes to make Tolkien's books come alive for us.

A sight to behold

Author: anpwxcat from Utah, America
13 April 2002

Growing up, my dad would always tell me his favorite books were The Lord of the Rings volumes. But I was never interested in fantasies, so I didn't really care. Then I found out that Peter Jackman was making the movies so I told my dad. He became really excited. But still, I didn't care. Until one night in November, when they showed the LOTR special on TV. I was able to catch only the first ten, fifteen minutes and instantly, I wanted to see the movie. I had never read the books. My dad took me and my family to see the movie. I was a bit excited and curious to see how they would do it. Mind you, I knew next to nothing about this story.

I sat through the entire three hours in Middle Earth and fell in love with it. Through parts, I would clutch on my brother's arm, tense and hoping that everyone will make it through a lot of the sticky situations they were in. I fell in love with Legolas and his graceful Elf self. The minute the movie began, I was drawn in. The special effects were terrific. I felt like I was there. I wanted (and still do) to live in Rivendell among the Elves. The backdrops for the movies was fantastic. Sir Ian McKellan's quote about how New Zealand is Middle Earth is so true.

I was very impressed with the casting. I'm a huge movie buff so I have seen plenty of movies and I won't be lying when I say that LOTR has the best casting ever. Every person, the mains and the extras, WAS the character they played. The make-up was incredible. The orcs creeped me out. The Elves entranced me. The Hobbits brought a smile to my face. Elrond, Hugo Weaving, is the perfect Elf King, firm and commanding, yet with love for his people and respect for Frodo. I could go on and on, but I won't.

I loved the fact how PJ was able to make the Hobbits look small in every single scene. I would LOVE to know HOW in the world they did that. I love how the Elves are so graceful and look ethereal.

I know that the movie is three hours long and people balk at that. I took a friend of mine who hasn't seen the movie because it was three hours long. He loved it. He was engrossed and he had never read the book either. This movie is one of the, if not THE, finest piece of work I have seen. I eagerly await "The Two Towers" and "The Return of the King". I definitely recommend this movie for everyone to see at least once. I have seen it four times and will see it yet again soon. I can never get bored of this movie. Go. See it.

I leave you with a quote from Gandalf: "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given"

Author: Karma-26 from Orange, NSW, Australia
2 April 2002

WOW!! First off, those who complain about the film...ARE YOU NUTS?!?! Films are merely forms of entertainment remember? And this film was very entertaining. The special effects were EXCELLENT!! I have to admit; I fell in love with a couple of actors after watching this movie. Hugo Weaving - always a favourite - made a delicious elf, as did Orlando Bloom. YUMMY!! Ian McKellen was lovely as Gandalf the Grey - GOOD MOVE! And Christopher Lee was really creepy as Saruman the White, but then again, isn't he always?

Now to those who say that this movie has no plot, are you people blind? The plot is right there!! I'll spell it out for you. *Old hobbit (Bilbo) has evil ring, bequeaths it to young hobbit nephew (Frodo) *Frodo and 3 hobbit friends (Merry, Pippin and Samwise) directed by wizard Gandalf to embark on a journey to Rivendale (home of yummy elves) to give ring to elves for safekeeping. Unfortunately, no go. *4 hobbits continue journey with other members of fellowship of ring (Gandalf, Aragorn, Legolas, Gimli and Sauron) *Encounter danger *One dies *Journey to be continued in next movie Very basic, and I've probably left out a lot, but there you go.

I really enjoyed this movie like you wouldn't believe - how DID "A Beautiful Mind" beat it? (Mind you, Russell Crowe is a pretty solid actor.) As a fantasy movie it rivals "Harry Potter", I loved it that much. (And I LOVED "Harry Potter" - especially Alan Rickman as Professor Severus Snape) All I have left to say is: 2 thumbs up; 10/10; ***** out of *****.

Good movie; good action!

Author: closeout from california
31 March 2002

The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring is a great film. While a popular complaint is that it is a long, slow movie, I totally disagree with that. The film develops its plot at a good pace unlike other movies that force the entire plot(when they have a plot) down your throat. I'd compare it to Star Wars--epic, long, and fun. Hey, for the people that like LOTR(and we are lots of people), having the movie three hours long is a good thing; we get more movie for our buck! Still, I can see that people who don't like anything related with fantasy will find it boring...but what did you expect?

But, there are some great action sequences. All of the action is very well done and none of it is over-the-top violence. There are five distinct battle scences along with several other thrilling sequences and the long journey in the Caves of Moria. Some other reviewers have stated that the action/violence is too much; I would disagree with you. Without the action sequences, LOTR would be Star Wars(only the original three will do thank you very much Mr. Lucas) without any starship fights or jedi duels...the action is part of the story(without overpowering the story)?

The movie is also top quality in acting, sound, and effects. In my opinion, Boromir was the best character; he had the best internal battle: he wanted to take control of the ring to save his people when in fact he knew that it would corrupt him. Even thought he was a flawed character unlike Aragorn(cool character but not too deep as of yet), Boromir had my sympathy and I could understand his desire to wield the ring to protect his people. Sound was great...a little too much at times. And, the effects were top notch without being overdone. Unlike Star Wars: The Phanton Menace where the effects MADE the movie(actually Natalie Portman was the best effect but that's another story), the special effects in the LOTR seem to complement the story.

My only problem with the story is that it doesn't have a hot blond princess in need of rescue(LOTR is like the Chronicles without Laurana...)

Aragorn chopping the head of the bad guy was tres cool! A little Gladiator-like but wayz cool! Maybe a bit violent for the kids...

Boromir's death sequence was unbelievable(in a good way)! Sean Bean made Boromir's death seem confincing, painful, and heroic; most other heroic deaths are usually very silly but this one was "real." Why the hell didn't he get the Oscar for that?

In the screenplay when Gandalf gets dragged down the chasm by the Balrog, he says, "Fly, you fools" where as in the movie he says, "Run, you fools!" In my opinion, the screenplay gets it right!

I just hope The Two Towers and Return of the King are equally good as Fellowship of the Ring...I have no reason to doubt it!!!

Best film of 2001.

Author: juliegi from U.S.A.
22 March 2002

I think this is the best film of 2001. As an avid fan of the J.R.R. Tolkein novels, I was excited to see these being made into films. I was not disappointed by the movie which followed the books pretty faithfully without getting too long and drawn out. All of the acting was great and the special effects well-done. I cannot wait to see the 2nd and 3rd films.

Author: Satine the Hobbit from London, England
7 August 2002

Upon first seeing this film, I was astounded. There were no words. And still, no words come at times to describe the beauty and majesty of this great achievement in modern cinema. Whoa. That was just a lot of words. Today must be a good day.

Complete with a great cast, a great crew, great visual aspects, and a great script, this film is simply wonderful. When put together with the other two in this trilogy, it should be a greater thing in itself than the Star Wars trilogy ever was. A classic for a new generation.

epic filmmaking as it should be!

Author: Allan-Houston from Brisbane, Australia
4 August 2002

No I won't be silenced about this film! No, it hasn't quite reached obsession!

Alright. A quick plot summary, as if you don't already know. Bilbo Baggins (Ian Holm), having reached his 111th birthday decides to take off on a last adventure, like he used to in the old days. He leaves to his adopted nephew/heir, Frodo (Elijah Wood) his property and a mysterious ring, which Gandalf (Ian McKellen), the wizard bids Frodo to keep "secret and safe". Of course, as oft happens in these cases, the ring turns out to be the One ring, created by the dark lord Sauron, millennia ago, with the power to enslave the whole of middle earth. So it is that Frodo must leave his idyllic existence in the shire, with his friend Sam Gamgee (Sean Astin) and later superfluous hobbits Merry and Pippin and trek across middle earth to finally take the ring to be destroyed. Along the way, and after much peril, Frodo is joined by men Aragorn and Boromir, elf Legolas and Dwarf Gimli. So the fellowship of nine, in a nutshell, is formed.

What can one say? It's a film that I was waiting for a year and a half for. I was trying to ready myself for disappointment. And so, at 9:50am, Wednesday 26 December, during the first session of LOTR in Brisbane, Australia, I was to finally see this film, for which I had pined, ached to see for so long, and the result was... pure bliss!

So much had been riding on this film. And so brave it was to make all three at once, but it has paid off for the first instalment at least, and created such a marvellous cinema experience that I could hardly contain my excitement when I emerged from the cinema three and a half hours later, feeling rewarded for the experience as I noticed the huge line-up for the fourth session.

The opening of the film, not just the introduction but the whole Hobbiton sequence, was just perfect. It was so pure, so idyllic, so wonderful, rich. It was best we could hope for for the introduction into this world of hobbits, their tranquil, simple existence, which would be sharply and horribly contrasted with the sudden emergence of the evil bound to the ring. And from then on this sprawling epic took us on a journey rarely experienced by cinema audiences.

It is HUGE! It's on such a mammoth scale that you feel breathless watching these beautiful images, these sweeping crane shots, this massive view of a mythic world. Middle Earth is so convincing and not once did I think of it as a fantasy, more of a rich history. Surely we owe this to Tolkien but if it was not for Jackson's vision it could have emerged on-screen in a lesser and inferior form. Such imagination and vision, rich with detail, heart and genuine enthusiasm for the project is rarely found in a big film like this. Imagine what George Lucas would have done for instance. There would have been some annoyingly cute young hobbit characters and Gollum would have been more like Jar Jar Binks than a mysterious, shadow-dwelling enigma. `Mes-a Gollum!'? Shudder at the thought. It shows though that Jackson cares so much about the books, the characters, the story, that he does not sacrifice it for cheap grandiosity or easy commercialism. I actually cared about the characters, what happened to them, the struggles they had to face to achieve their seemingly impossible aim. And the film is not just a fantasy adventure with Jackson pointing here and there saying `look at this, see what I can do??', it works well as a beautifully-conceived, emotionally-rich drama. There are at least two very effecting, very real scenes, both toward the end of the film, in which you truly care and the actors show their craft. In these moments the audience would stop silent. Especially in the first session, there wasn't even a rustle, a crunch of popcorn or a breath to be heard as the struggle was shared by the audience. The performances are exceptional. Elijah Wood is wonderful as Frodo, evoking both youthful enthusiasm and great strength and resilience mixed with a sad loneliness and weakness. He is in one moment both determined and weary. Also worthy of note (and they all are, but being selective) are Sean Astin as Samwise Gamgee and Sean Bean as Boromir. Each brings to their role a painful honesty and true heart. Sam is one of the most admirable and delightful characters I have seen in ages. Sean is a long way removed from Encino Man here. And hopefully he will gain credit for this role, as he is truly excellent. Sean Bean is a man tortured by an underlying will to do good, but a strengthening urge to have power, corrupted by the evil of the ring. He is an excellent Boromir, who despite his transgressions is quite endearing at the same time. It's a given too that Ian McKellen is brilliant, and another Gandalf you could not imagine. Wise, bold, mischievous, caring. And Ian Holm as Bilbo is equally as good. Need I mention the superb art direction, costumes and eye-popping special effects. Particularly good is the way the differences in height from Hobbit, dwarf, man and elf are perceived.

And so, this film, so detailed, so beautiful, both subtle and thrilling, with some very tense moments, is instantly a classic and one of my favourite films of all time.

From one (potential) filmmaker to another, I can think of no better compliment to pay than to say, I wish I made this film. This is the type of film I would love to make. I wish I had some part, whatever it may be, no matter how tiny, in bringing this marvel to the screen. It pains me that I don't live in New Zealand and am still at university, because I would throw myself at Peter Jackson and say, `Take me, I will make you coffee!!' This is the effect of this film. So wonderful, so beautiful, so full of power and magic and bringing together a brilliant team of professionals who are all geniuses in their craft. A year and a half, so much waiting, so much anticipation and it was rewarded and here we have the first instalment of this trilogy, and we wait now for the other parts. It's hard to imagine a better adaptation or a better person to have brought this to our cinemas. Hardly surprising what score I gave it.