The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Page 7 of 496: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Very high production values, very long, perfect for "Ring" fans.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
10 August 2002

I went to school in the 1950s and 1960s. I never read "The Hobbit" nor any of the "Ring" trilogies. So I only had a vague idea what Tolkien and his writings were all about, although I already knew there were "Ring" fanatics of all ages out there. I got a "free" DVD as a result of the Blockbuster campaign where you buy a 10-week rental card for $25 and get a DVD in return at no extra cost. A deal I couldn't refuse!

Well, last night I watched the film, along with good friends Frank and Judy who happen to be "Ringheads." The filming was absolutely gorgeous. The DVD transfer is about the best I have seen so far, and the Dolby 5.1 sound is very dynamic and beautiful. In short about all one could ask for in a DVD. Plus, there is a second disk which has over two hours of "extras", several "making of" plus a 10-minute preview of the second installment due out later this year.

While the movie itself is very interesting, especially the first one-third which sets the stage for the journey that "the fellowship of the ring" will undertake, to ultimately return the "one ring" to the volcano, NEVER did I feel that this was a "great" film. As the story unfolds there are increasingly brutal battles to be fought, one after another, with little story between each battle. While that may make for really good reading, where you can create exactly the images you want in your own mind, as a film it gets to be a bit much. I actually became bored, with yet another battle and narrow escape. Like adding too much spice to a good meal.

As a film of a historic work of fiction, and especially this DVD release, it is almost perfect. However, as a fictional work the story is a bit of a let-down, in my opinion. It is best appreciated by all the "Ringheads" out there who have bonded over the years with the ring trilogy and Tolkien. For my own enjoyment there are more interesting fictional works. Maybe I'll have a different opinion in two years, after I've seen all three of the installments.

Really Bad

Author: keith2000 from u.k
25 February 2002

Before this film was released, New Line said "We hope to beat Titanic". John Rhys Davies said "This is going to be the biggest film ever". Ian McKellan said "I cried the first time I saw it, you will too".

As the box office and the wave of indifference proves, they couldn't have been more wrong.

Perhaps the arrogance of the film makers is one reason why so many people don't like this film. Perhaps that's why it hasn't broken into the top 50 of the all time "adjusted for inflation" chart.

Me? I was just bored to tears. The story is very, very simple. A group of characters have to take a "magic ring" to a special place where it can be destroyed. Along the way, they run away from some monsters, then they run away from some more and this keeps happening right up until the end. Only there is NO end. The film just stops which of course is a cheap marketing ploy to make you see the next two.

The script is awful. It's like watered down Shakespeare and some lines are such nonsense that there were a few groans in the cinema I saw this in. It also has a total lack of humor which makes it all the more pretentious.

The characters are never fleshed out and some of them take on charachatures. Gandalf is the worst of them all. A caricature of Merlin from the King Arthur stories, he is so 2D he could have been created by Walt Disney.

The direction is average to say the least and it seems that Peter Jackson has no real style of his own. Instead he borrows heavily from the likes of Tim Burtons "Sleepy Hollow". The action scenes are very poorly done and so is the use of CGI.

I wish I could talk about the score but I really don't remember it. The acting is reasonable enough but some of them must have thought "what am I doing here?" when they had to read such banal lines.

Overall it is just a really bad movie. Never living up to the hype and, to be honest, never coming close. No matter how much the cast and crew tell you how great this is, the simple fact is, it's not.

3 out of 10.

The Lord of the Rings : The Fellowship of the Ring - Saturday Night Review

Author: Prashanth Srivatsa from India
27 November 2010

Simply Stunning. Mind blowing. Breath-taking. The movie is all of that and more.

And since it is the first movie of one of the finest trilogies, a tiny outline to the story would be aptly fitting. The story goes around a young Hobbit named Frodo, from the Shire, who embarks on an epic journey having been entrusted with a powerful and ancient ring that he must destroy by taking it deep into the cracks of Mount Doom, in Mordor, the enemy's lair itself. It is not a versatile story, but a quest. An Almighty quest that is filled with determination, friendship, brotherhood, hope, and trust.

Giving his utmost respect to the late Mr. Tolkein, Peter Jackson has undertaken and completed a wonder of a movie that never fails to leave you with your mouth gape open, the marvel of the land that is Middle-earth, with the wide variety of characters ranging from the little Hobbitses to the giant Wizard Gandalf. It is a quest beyond anyone's imagination and capability and the legendarium of J.R.R. Tolkein is executed to perfection on to the big screen.

The Shire has been depicted beautifully, with its people (the Hobbits). Every step of the journey has breathtaking scenic shots and sequences that leaves the audience craving for more. The magnificence of Lothlurien should not be missed, too.

Coming to the cast, the roles played by almost everyone is near-perfect. Elijah Wood (Frodo) and Sean Astin (Sam) represent the perfect hobbits with supporting roles of the Fellowship representing Legolas, Aragorn, Gandalf, Gimli, Boromir, Merry and Pippin have been wonderful. The dialogues are a no-miss, some of them are truly excellent and add to the effect to the movie. Gandalf's "You shall not Pass" statement to the Balrog is of such power and magnitude, it will send a chill down your spine. The screenplay, the display, the music is all magnificent and adds to the beauty of the Lord of the Rings.

All in all, The Fellowship of The Ring is a masterpiece. Those unfamiliar with the Middle-Earth and its characters will find it a "little" difficult to cope up with, but no worries. The mere beauty of this film will leave them happy come end. This is a terrific movie, and it will be one of the best movies I have ever seen, along with the other 2 movies of the LOTR franchise. A full 10 / 10. Do not miss it.

Dull.

Author: Azeaka-1 from United States
13 May 2006

This was the first Lord of the Rings movie I saw. It's awful. It's dull, tedious and boring. Worse than Star Wars movies, really, and they're pretty bad. I tried to get interested in it but it was just one gimmick after another to delay the story line: another monster, demon, dwarf, elf, wizard, etc., etc. I guess the final analyis there isn't much of a story line at all. It's sort of like "The Wizard of Oz" on steroids but with none of the charm, and it's way too long. The scenery is nice and the special effects are good, but that's all. In the end I didn't care about the characters or how the movie ended. And then, to top it all off, the movie didn't even have an ending. It just stopped with the characters still short of their mission. What a waste of movie-making!

A beautiful film that never drags once

Author: FilmSchoolWriter from the World
29 January 2006

I have never been a fan of Tolkein's works. Whenever I've tried to read them, I've become bored and have stopped bothering. It's taken me a while to get around to watching The Lord of the Rings, but I am very glad that I have now seen it. In fact, it actually made me read the books and I prefer the movies to the books.

One of the things that I enjoyed so much about this movie is the absolutely *stunning* cinematography. Filming in New Zealand was a brilliant move and I am so glad that this was filmed "on location" instead of in the studio. I realize that a good deal of this movie is CGI, but it flows beautifully and there aren't any particular moments where you say, "AHA! Green screen! Right there!"

I truly enjoyed the performances given by the lead actors. Especially Viggo Mortensen as Aragorn. His performance is authentic and he obviously strove to not only play, but *become* his character. Orlando Bloom is wonderful as Legolas and this is easily one of my favorite performances from him. Although in all technicality Legolas is a supporting character, he is an individual supporting character. In the fellowship, there are no other elves for him to be supporting, so in that aspect he is a very individual character, even if he is not the lead. Elijah Wood is good as well -- he does a wonderful job of capturing the simplicity of Frodo and his depressed emotional state. And more credit to Mortensen as well as Liv Tyler with their emotion charged love scenes. A rare thing in Hollywood, these scenes are more sensual then sexual -- a welcome relief from the modern Hollywood blockbuster that just screams sex.

Many people aren't particularly wowed by Peter Jackson's directing ability. But I have to say that I think he did a wonderful job. Despite the 178 minutes running time, the movie never drags once. Jackson did a good job of getting as much as he possibly could out of his actors and that is easily the film's biggest asset. This is an amazing film and everyone should see it.

I Almost Gave It A Nine (9)...

Author: hawkeye_pierce2 from Raleigh, NC
19 July 2002

...but gave it a 10 because the stunning visuals (and I don't just mean "FX" I mean actual retinal intake at the utter aesthetic level) made up for the tiny bit of creeping out I got from looking directly into Elijah Wood's face all movie (not kidding). Short of that, I am almost excited and giddy such a new movie has climbed to #4 all time (on IMDb at least) but frankly it earned it. Any movie almost as good as Rain Man (but in polar-opposite ways) deserves to be #4...(I too loved Godfather and especially The Shawshank Redemption, but Rain Man is arguably the greatest film ever for many, vastly different reasons). I digress, no one should miss Lord of the Rings and I'm just glad I caught it at the Blue Ridge in Raleigh 8mos after it premiered (seeing this for the 1st time on video/at home would have been my loss).

Amazing, breathtaking, brilliantly wonderful!!

Author: rachi1409 from Australia
6 July 2002

This film is the most amazing journey I have ever been on. Not only was the movie enjoyable at the time, but I am holding my breath until the next one comes out! Although there are many characters in this film, it is made simple to follow and absolutley entertaining to watch. There is no lack in performance, particularly by Ian Holm (Bilbo Baggins), Orlando Bloom (Legolas), Viggo Mortensen (Aragorn), and Hugo Weaving (Elrond), oh yeah and Elijah Wood (Frodo Baggins) oh and also Cate Blanchett (Galadrial)..did I also mention Liv Tyler??? (Arwen). Look, the whole cast is just amazing, I really can't complain about lack of talent, and believe me, I'm picky. Don't go and see this movie if you are looking for just something short and funny. This is a deep movie which has great morals such as "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future", and will leave you pondering it for days afterwards and you may perhaps start reading the books! It is simply a dream...all the actors you could ever hope for under one roof! This movie is both magical, and suspensful. I recommend it to those who love fantasy and movies with lots of substance. This really is a journey you won't want to miss!

Oh... the brilliance that is Peter

Author: Elanor Rigby (singedelopera@aol.com) from A sad place
6 July 2002

The more and more one thinks of it, the more one reads Tolkien and appreciates it, the more and more brilliant this movie becomes. Unlike Harry Potter, whose scenes were completely stripped from the book and had no imagination of its own (not to mention details that were changed for no good reason), this work not only has a soul of its own, but manages to keep with Tolkien's original work... I love this film! Tis Brilliance!

A word on Casting: perfect. My only qualm is that Galadriel (Cate Blanchett) was a little iffy. Tolkien makes it a very clear that there is no evil in Galadriel or Lothlorien, but the audience never really gets this as we are all wondering if her skin is going to shed violently to reveal a hideous monster in the service of Sauron. Nothing to depreciate the value that is this film though. The emotional range is perfect, the quirkiness of the hobbits is perfect, the cast of characters is perfect... I LOVE YOU PETER! Now it is up to them not to ruin the next two. As Peter has done so well with the first one, however, I don't see how he or his writing team could. 10/10

An epic worthy of it's hype

Author: NateW from California, USA
2 July 2002

The long awaited live action adaption of the classic Tolkein novel Lord of the Rings more than justified the massive hype surrounding it. Simply put, it is one of the best movies I've ever seen. I have not been so utterly blown away by a film in a long time like I was when I saw this. Every, and I mean every, aspect of this film is executed flawlessly. The ensemble performances are truly fantastic, especially by Wood and McKellan. All I can say is I can't wait for it to be released on DVD and I can't wait for The Two Towers and Return of the King to come to theatrical release. I think we have finally seen the arrival of a trilogy that matches the magnitude of the original Star Wars trilogy. 10/10

A brilliant film

Author: rachi1409 from South Australia, Australia
2 July 2002

I was sceptical going to see this movie, thinking it couldn't possibly live up to expectations. I was also afraid I would be disappointed if it didn't stay true to the amazing novel by J.R.R. Tolkien, which is one of my favourite books. However, I was pleasantly surprised by not only how true it was to the book, but how well done it was. The acting was superb, the costumes and scenery were perfect, (scarily, just how I had imagined them, it was like the film makers read my mind), and the story was extremely well done. Even though it was a long film at around 3 hours, it didn't seem long at all and the script writers managed to keep the main storyline while omitting the "side stories" which are in the novel, and which would only make the film complicated, confusing and far too long. This is one of the best films I have ever seen, and I cannot wait to see the next installment. Unfortunately, it doesn't come out in Australia for another 6 months. But I have a feeling it will be well worth the wait. If you haven't already seen it - do so! You won't be disappointed, especially if you are a fan of the novel.