The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Page 5 of 494: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Peter Jackson...one heck of a director.

Author: Erin Mettling (erinme@gmail.com) from United States
9 August 2005

When I read books, I read so I 'see' what's happening in my head, like a mini movie while reading. I read the entire Tolkein series in the eighth grade, a year and a half before this movie came out. I must say, I LOVED the books.

When I saw the 'Fellowship" I was quite impressed. Peter Jackson pretty much took the movie out of my head. He brought this movie to life, and only reading the book, for me, could make it as real. Peter Jackson is an amazing director, and he did wonderfully on this, and the other two, movie. I was only disappointed that he had to cut a few key elements/people. Other than that, I think this man is a genius.

As good as any movie can get!

Author: a_true_american_idiot from United States
27 June 2005

This movie keeps me glued to the television every time i watch it. For all fantasy lovers this movie is a must-see! You will not be disappointed one minute through this three hour movie. You will be begging to see the next movie. The whole cast in this movie was absolutely brilliant. It made you feel as though you were really in middle earth. I love this movie and it is dear to my heart. I've watched it a hundred times a swear. Yet i never seem to get sick of it. Peter Jackson could have never done a better job if he tried. He should be very proud and i know he made the author of all the lord of the rings books proud.

Frodo Row Your Boat Ashore

Author: wes-connors from Earth
9 November 2009

"With the help of a courageous fellowship of friends and allies, Frodo embarks on a perilous mission to destroy the legendary 'One Ring'. Hunting Frodo are servants of the Dark Lord Sauron, the Ring's evil creator. If Sauron reclaims the Ring, Middle-earth is doomed," according to the DVD sleeve description, "Winner of four 'Academy Awards', this epic tale of good versus evil, friendship and sacrifice will transport you to a world beyond imagination."

Reading the original J.R.R. Tolkien novels was an intellectual rite of passage; whilst young, you read and enjoyed "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy willingly - prepping with "The Hobbit", of course. "It's a job that's never started that takes the longest to finish," someone said. Writer/director Peter Jackson's "The Fellowship of the Ring" is the first of an extremely well-produced trilogy. Understandably, it's made into a special effects extravaganza, without taking many breaths for thoughtfulness.

"The Bridge of Khazad-Dûm" (#30 on your DVD menu) sequence is a highlight; it climaxes with the wizard Gandalf (Ian McKellen) and the demonic Balrog (CGI) falling into an abyss, from which return seemed impossible This was one of my most memorable "Lord of the Rings" reading experiences - a future without Gandalf was unimaginable. Mr. Jackson and company recreate some emotional scenes extraordinarily well. At one time, it seemed impossible to think that such literature could be brought to cinematic form.

******** The Fellowship of the Ring (12/10/01) Peter Jackson ~ Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, Orlando Bloom

"The crownless again shall be king..."

Author: Prestige_Never_Pride from The Grey Havens
23 September 2008

I confess to say that I did not see the first two LOTR films in theaters. The fact of the matter was that my sister was 6 years old and scared easily, so my father wouldn't take her. So, my father went on his own to see them. I did, however get to see Return of the King in theaters. I was entranced. I was 12 years old at the time, and I didn't understand the story. But I was captivated. When Pippin sang his song, I was in tears. At the very end, I was sobbing. The sense of beauty it had...I couldn't even describe it. So, I watched the first two movies respectively with my father. And now I was within Middle-Earth. I read the books the same month that I saw all three films. Simultaneously, in fact. That is my admiration story.

What can I say about this movie that won't fill a novel? Where do I start? I suppose with Peter Jackson. I was so struck to learn how these beautiful works of art, Tolkien's magnum opus, inspired him to want to take on such a daunting yet gratifying task. He saw more in those books than I had read from them, and I'm glad that a dedicated fan brought these jewels to screen. Thank you, Mr. Jackson! The cast? Absolutely beautiful. Their friendship is so apparent, so close, not faked as you see in many other movies. Not one actor in those three films were bad. Yes, you heard me. So those of you who said that the casting was terrible, let me say to you: "Not all those who wander are lost."

Elijah Wood, who is a very gifted and bright young man, has such an incredible beauty (inside and out) to portray such a conflicted and fatalistic character. His own striking idealism, innocence, and understanding was such that you fell in love with Frodo at first sight, but not to the point where he seemed weak. Elijah is Frodo incarnate, and anyone else would have ruined the role.

Sean Astin, another very bright young man, shows his warm wisdom as Samwise, as well as a courage the likes of which I have never seen before in any performance. He had such an aura of honesty and kindliness that it shone like a light on screen. His friendship with Frodo (Elijah respectively) is so obvious and true on-screen, and not a sappy, cheesy "Hollywood" special. Friendships that are too sappy (and fake) will kill a movie, but this one was so obviously real and strong that it touched we fans in such a deep way (for those who could appreciate it).

I can't say everything I would like to about these movies. The marriage of deep friendship, dedication, and beautiful, realistic special effects creates an entrancing epic that will be hard to rival by any movie. Those who negatively rated these movies, did you actually pay any attention to the screen as you watched the movie? For those who have never seen these movies, please, do. The deep bonds shared by these actors, all of them, are so beautifully shown, and the cast clearly underwent a lot of stress (For those who own the Extended Versions of these movies, you might hear some horror stories from Astin, Wood, Mortensen, Serkis, and more, if you listen to the documentaries/commentaries), but it is clear that they love their roles, and it shines through in their voices, their faces, and especially their acting.

I neglected to mention the efforts of the crew. Without them, over 5,000 people strong, these movies would not have been possible. They created Middle Earth in such way that it seemed possible to be a shadow of our past: a past world on Earth that faded away long before our time. Thanks be to them.

Yes, there are differences from the books. There always are, in any adaptation. I saw that some people commented about how weak a character they thought Frodo seemed compared to the book, because several moments in which he looks Evil in the face were shortened/changed in the film version. That isn't true. Not at all. True heroism means not only defending others, but accepting aid from others. True heroism means that one accepts that they can't do everything alone, and accepts the aid of those willing to give it. THAT is true heroism. Frodo shows that in every light, even if it isn't always obvious. You can see with much more than your eyes...

Overall, if these were the last movies I thought worthwhile enough to watch (I hope cinema doesn't become that bad), it would be fine by me. Thanks to all of the people who brought this to us, the LOTR fans. To my fellow fans, I say: "May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out."

10/10, and then some.

A truly great movie, whether you're a fantasy fan or not

Author: Skeletors_Hood (skeletors_hood@hotmail.com) from Kansas City
19 July 2002

I knew from the first time I saw the preview that this was a movie that I wanted to see. Now, I have never picked up a Tolkien book, and the only story I ever knew was the Hobbit, and that was from the animated movie.

Now, let me make my observations of some of the reviews listed here, and I must say that everyone is entitled to an opinion, and here is mine. If you don't like this movie, pronouncing it as boring and too long, then you obviously don't have the patience to watch a great movie, more like you love the hacked off 88 min movie that has no real script to speak of, and only took 2 months to film. Which is fine, because I like those movies as well,but also I personally love a movie that took a lot of work, and is also very spectacular as a result. Titanic comes to mind, for one. I want substance in a movie, and LotR delivers. It is a true work of art, unlike (someone mentioned "Fight Club" ???? A classic?! I think not). If you only thought of it as boring, then you were only looking for action and no story, in which case the latest Van Damme movie would have fulfilled your expectations.

What I truly loved about this movie wasn't just the scenery, but the acting as well. Each part was brought to life perfectly, and the actors had great chemistry together. I especially loved Ian as Gandalf, and I must also give a great nod to Christopher Lee, who has always made a great villain. The action was well placed and suspenseful, and everything looked as I would expect a fantasy world to look like.

Overall a very well made movie. If you hate it, then maybe it's over your head.

A Matter of Visions

Author: happiscotsman from Chicago, IL
16 July 2002

Roger Ebert only gave this film three stars because he felt it did not meet his personal criteria for what the movie should be like. But that is what Peter Jackson has been embellishing ever since he started on this nearly eight-year odyssey. It is Jackson's view of how HE would want the movie to be made. On that note, this film has been worth the three years I have spent salivating over any and every web site designed to proclaim the greatest film series ever ("Star Wars" has lost its edge, and "The Matrix" has too narrow an appeal). The only reason I found out these movies were being made was because I was curious what Sean Bean had been up to. This was in 1998, and the wait was well worth it. New Zealand was the PERFECT place for filming Middle Earth, and Jackson does a fine job in making sense of the epic novel. The actors were all fine in their roles, although I still long for Sean Connery as Gandalf, even though Sir Ian McKellen did get an Academy Award nomination. Personally, I though the best performances were by Sean Astin and Sean Bean (Have I already shown my bias for the only man who could play Richard Sharpe?) And while the action scenes are quite engaging, the Rivendell scene stands out as my favorite. The first shots capture the mystery and splendor of Middle Earth's most enchanting and enigmatic characters, the Eldar (Elves to you non-readers of the novels). Howard Shore's Oscar-winning score is no better the here, with the ghostly chorus holding their notes as the Hobbits stroll mesmerized through this strange and beautiful land. The imagery is so engaging that the audience cannot help but be swept away as well. This is what movie-making is all about folks, and if you miss this, you've missed a lot.

One ring to rule them all.

Author: redflames185 from Lynchburg, Virginia
10 July 2002

The best movie I have seen in my lifetime. I would pay to see this again.

This movie provided all kinds of movie making elements, such as: drama, suspense, horror, and even a bit of romance. I suggest this movie to all ages. My little 3 year old brother liked it. This is by far one of my favorite movies.

Breathtaking!

Author: SteveB Ohio from Ohio, USA
9 July 2002

Reading the other reviews here, it seems that people either loved this movie or they hated it. It also seems that those who say they hated it don't give any concrete reasons other than they don't seem to "get the point." The same is true of the books that this series is based on: some people think them to be the best works of fiction of all time, while others think they are nonsense. Well, you can count me firmly in the "loved it" camp!

Ever since I first read these books in the '70s I have hoped that someone would make them into movies. (My other hope is that someone would take on the project of making quality film versions of Isaac Asimov's "Foundation Trilogy," but that's a different story!) The animated version was mediocre at best, but this one is breathtaking! Never mind the minor differences between the film and the books, this has got to be the best adaptation of book to cinema that I have ever seen. I would dare say that it is even the best film of any type that I have seen.

Why? If you are one of those who "don't get it," I can't offer anything to convince you. Let's just say that this movie brings to life the incredible world that J.R.R. Tolkein created in a way that transcends simple fantasy. The characters and places are believable as real rather than mere creations of a fairy tale world. The story has more substance than the comic book style of the Star Wars series. The action is gripping. The visual effects are stunning. There is genuine emotion, from joy to despair. The acting is flawless. And through the entire experience, there is the constant theme of pure good versus pure evil; and staying true to one's friends and commitments regardless of how bad things get. And it does it without being preachy about it: it is totally free of the absurd political correctness that infects so many other films.

This movie hits on all cylinders. The first time I saw it, I was in a theater that was completely packed. Nobody got up during its three hour length. There was no whispering or other signs of inattention. When it was over and the lights came on, there was a continued hush that was almost reverent. When people started to get up, I heard comments like "It's going to be a long year." (Meaning, of course, it will be a long wait until the second installment is released this December.)

The only flaw I can find is that it was too fast-paced in some places, resulting in some parts of the story being a blur for those who aren't already familiar with the books. Even so, the three hours go by very quickly and leave you wanting to see more of the story. That will have to wait until the end of this year!

For those who haven't yet seen it, I would strongly recommend reading the books (or at least read The Fellowship of the Ring) and then rent or buy the dvd when it is released this August.

Three Rings for the Elven Kings, Under The Sky........

Author: Bob_Tanaka
8 July 2002

I wish I could quote the whole poem. The Lord of the Rings is, far and away, the BEST MOVIE OF 2001!!! And #2 of all time!!! Right behind the Star Wars trilogy (which I count as one movie) and right above the Longest Day. The movie does it's best to follow the books (and cuts out several pointless parts) and is just as I pictured it. AMZING acting, UNBELEAVIBLE fx, AND ALL AROUND ONE OF THE MOST SPECTACULAR MOVIE OF ALL TIME!!! 10/10!!! and I only resurve that for the BEST the most FLAWLESS of movies!!! Nominated for 13 academy awards and should've won all of them!!! but the academy ALWAYS goes for the artsy movies!!!!

quite simply the best movie made to date

Author: (frodolives)
4 July 2002

From the casting to the acting, from the cinematography to the special effects, from the locations to the sets and props an costumes and makeup, from the wonderful film score to the truly excellent screenplay, there is hardly a fault to find with this breathtaking, amazing piece of cinematographic art. Director Peter Jackson and his superb, highly motivated cast and crew have done the seemingly impossible in turning Tolkien's beloved books into a movie, and they have done it so amazingly well - finding their own idiosyncratic interpretations while staying absolutely true to the spirit of the book - that all I can say is: Go and see it!! - if you haven't done so yet.