The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Page 5 of 510: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

"The crownless again shall be king..."

Author: Prestige_Never_Pride from The Grey Havens
23 September 2008

I confess to say that I did not see the first two LOTR films in theaters. The fact of the matter was that my sister was 6 years old and scared easily, so my father wouldn't take her. So, my father went on his own to see them. I did, however get to see Return of the King in theaters. I was entranced. I was 12 years old at the time, and I didn't understand the story. But I was captivated. When Pippin sang his song, I was in tears. At the very end, I was sobbing. The sense of beauty it had...I couldn't even describe it. So, I watched the first two movies respectively with my father. And now I was within Middle-Earth. I read the books the same month that I saw all three films. Simultaneously, in fact. That is my admiration story.

What can I say about this movie that won't fill a novel? Where do I start? I suppose with Peter Jackson. I was so struck to learn how these beautiful works of art, Tolkien's magnum opus, inspired him to want to take on such a daunting yet gratifying task. He saw more in those books than I had read from them, and I'm glad that a dedicated fan brought these jewels to screen. Thank you, Mr. Jackson! The cast? Absolutely beautiful. Their friendship is so apparent, so close, not faked as you see in many other movies. Not one actor in those three films were bad. Yes, you heard me. So those of you who said that the casting was terrible, let me say to you: "Not all those who wander are lost."

Elijah Wood, who is a very gifted and bright young man, has such an incredible beauty (inside and out) to portray such a conflicted and fatalistic character. His own striking idealism, innocence, and understanding was such that you fell in love with Frodo at first sight, but not to the point where he seemed weak. Elijah is Frodo incarnate, and anyone else would have ruined the role.

Sean Astin, another very bright young man, shows his warm wisdom as Samwise, as well as a courage the likes of which I have never seen before in any performance. He had such an aura of honesty and kindliness that it shone like a light on screen. His friendship with Frodo (Elijah respectively) is so obvious and true on-screen, and not a sappy, cheesy "Hollywood" special. Friendships that are too sappy (and fake) will kill a movie, but this one was so obviously real and strong that it touched we fans in such a deep way (for those who could appreciate it).

I can't say everything I would like to about these movies. The marriage of deep friendship, dedication, and beautiful, realistic special effects creates an entrancing epic that will be hard to rival by any movie. Those who negatively rated these movies, did you actually pay any attention to the screen as you watched the movie? For those who have never seen these movies, please, do. The deep bonds shared by these actors, all of them, are so beautifully shown, and the cast clearly underwent a lot of stress (For those who own the Extended Versions of these movies, you might hear some horror stories from Astin, Wood, Mortensen, Serkis, and more, if you listen to the documentaries/commentaries), but it is clear that they love their roles, and it shines through in their voices, their faces, and especially their acting.

I neglected to mention the efforts of the crew. Without them, over 5,000 people strong, these movies would not have been possible. They created Middle Earth in such way that it seemed possible to be a shadow of our past: a past world on Earth that faded away long before our time. Thanks be to them.

Yes, there are differences from the books. There always are, in any adaptation. I saw that some people commented about how weak a character they thought Frodo seemed compared to the book, because several moments in which he looks Evil in the face were shortened/changed in the film version. That isn't true. Not at all. True heroism means not only defending others, but accepting aid from others. True heroism means that one accepts that they can't do everything alone, and accepts the aid of those willing to give it. THAT is true heroism. Frodo shows that in every light, even if it isn't always obvious. You can see with much more than your eyes...

Overall, if these were the last movies I thought worthwhile enough to watch (I hope cinema doesn't become that bad), it would be fine by me. Thanks to all of the people who brought this to us, the LOTR fans. To my fellow fans, I say: "May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out."

10/10, and then some.

One ring to rule them all.

Author: redflames185 from Lynchburg, Virginia
10 July 2002

The best movie I have seen in my lifetime. I would pay to see this again.

This movie provided all kinds of movie making elements, such as: drama, suspense, horror, and even a bit of romance. I suggest this movie to all ages. My little 3 year old brother liked it. This is by far one of my favorite movies.

quite simply the best movie made to date

Author: (frodolives)
4 July 2002

From the casting to the acting, from the cinematography to the special effects, from the locations to the sets and props an costumes and makeup, from the wonderful film score to the truly excellent screenplay, there is hardly a fault to find with this breathtaking, amazing piece of cinematographic art. Director Peter Jackson and his superb, highly motivated cast and crew have done the seemingly impossible in turning Tolkien's beloved books into a movie, and they have done it so amazingly well - finding their own idiosyncratic interpretations while staying absolutely true to the spirit of the book - that all I can say is: Go and see it!! - if you haven't done so yet.

The Perfect Movie

Author: jiffygallant
24 August 2003

It is the perfect Movie. The story, characters, action, and effects are all unmatched by anything that has ever been produced. It is even a better movie than it is book. What the book did for literature, this movie does for cinema. Any movie fan will enjoy this movie, having read the book or not. If you havent seen The Fellowship of the Ring, see it. It will warm your heart, excite your soul, and take you to place you have never been.

Great movie with a great cast

Author: (reesecarter@hotmail.com) from Home
31 July 2002

I really thought all of the actors and actresses brought the book to life. For those of you who have read it, the movie helps to understand the book. If you haven't seen it, I suggest you do. Its a great movie with a great cast.

AMAZING!!!!!! a brilliant work of art!!!!

Author: Courtney (carbon_69@webtv.net) from Pennsylvania, USA
28 July 2002

I just have to say, that The Fellowship of the Ring is one of the best movie's that I have EVER seen!!! Although most of Peter Jackson's films weren't that great, he hit a goldmine with this one. And the cast was perfect. Ian McKellen had the perfect ability to seem both kind and friendly, as well as appear frightening when called for to portray Gandalf. Viggo Mortensen possesses the right amount of mystery and cunning to play Aragorn. Sean Astin has the dimwitted and homely quality to play Frodo's loyal friend Samwise. Elijah Wood, in a surprisingly new role astounded me as Frodo, able to show both his frightened side and his brave side. John Ryhs-Davies portrayed the proud and somewhat snobbish (in the line of elves) Gimli. Orlando Bloom, in an amazing breakthrough performance captured Legolas' quiet and graceful demeanor perfectly. Sean Bean played Boromir's greedy, yet nationalistic character wonderfully. Dominic Monaghan and Bill y Boyd played the dim-witted sidekicks of Frodo, Merry and Pippin, without flaw.

It was a powerful adventure and I can't wait until December.

Perfect

Author: J. Cooper from United States
5 July 2005

This is one of the best films I've ever seen. Tolkien provides a brilliant story, and Jackson provides breathtaking sets, special effects, and well directed performances from the ensemble cast of underdog hero's. It's charming, funny, action packed, and completely captivating.

Fans of the Tolkien books will be more than satisfied by this celluloid adaptation, and newcomers to this timeless story will be blown away by the depth and romance of not only the plot itself, but in each character a well. If you haven't seen this film, you're cheating yourself.

An instant classic.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
28 June 2003

Beautiful environments with lovely costumes combined with superb characters and and an intense story...the result: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.

Don't let the 3 hour + running time scare you of, like so many long movies it's very well worth seeing. Never has a fantasy world looked so realistic as in Lord of the Rings. All the sets are very detailed and have a realistic feeling as well as the characters and the different races of Middle Earth.

The greatest strength of this movie is not the story itself. The story itself is actually pretty simple, basically it's just about the Ring and the quest to destroy it. No, the greatest strength are the characters, the look of Middle Earth and the action sequences. Rarely has an adventure movie looked so good and has been so tense and enjoyable to watch.

But let's not over praise it, the movie has it flaws and weak spots. There are some unnecessary and boring scene's (especially in the Extended Edition) but for an 3 hour + movie that's maybe just unavoidable. And no matter how awesome everything looks, the special effects aren't always top-class, I'm a firm believer that the movie would have been better if ILM provided the special effects. But let's not judge the movie for what it could have been but let's judge it for what it is. Also, sometimes the Hobbits (Sam, Pippin and Merry) are border line irritating. Another thing that disturbed me was the editing, in my opinion it was extremely bad done in some of the scene's (For instance in the wizards battle between Gandalf and Saruman) but having some editing experience myself I might pay extra attention to this things...

But in this case all those flaws and weak spots are forgiven, for The Fellowship of the Ring truly is a wonderful movie that you simply must have seen at least once in your life.

Already a classic!

Peter Jackson...one heck of a director.

Author: Erin Mettling (erinme@gmail.com) from United States
9 August 2005

When I read books, I read so I 'see' what's happening in my head, like a mini movie while reading. I read the entire Tolkein series in the eighth grade, a year and a half before this movie came out. I must say, I LOVED the books.

When I saw the 'Fellowship" I was quite impressed. Peter Jackson pretty much took the movie out of my head. He brought this movie to life, and only reading the book, for me, could make it as real. Peter Jackson is an amazing director, and he did wonderfully on this, and the other two, movie. I was only disappointed that he had to cut a few key elements/people. Other than that, I think this man is a genius.

As good as any movie can get!

Author: a_true_american_idiot from United States
27 June 2005

This movie keeps me glued to the television every time i watch it. For all fantasy lovers this movie is a must-see! You will not be disappointed one minute through this three hour movie. You will be begging to see the next movie. The whole cast in this movie was absolutely brilliant. It made you feel as though you were really in middle earth. I love this movie and it is dear to my heart. I've watched it a hundred times a swear. Yet i never seem to get sick of it. Peter Jackson could have never done a better job if he tried. He should be very proud and i know he made the author of all the lord of the rings books proud.