The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Page 5 of 499: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Epic, sweeping film-making at it's very best

Author: pyrocitor from Ontario, Canada
3 April 2006

The Fellowship of the Ring

When one begins to write one's sentiments regarding a movie such as Peter Jackson's adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's classic Lord of the Rings trilogy, the main problem isn't having difficulty finding things to remark upon - the main problem is knowing where to begin. The Fellowship of the Ring essentially redefined the term "quality", in its extraordinary ability to vastly succeed the already unreasonably high expectations of audiences and die-hard fans of the novels everywhere.

It becomes difficult to avoid bias by painting the film with outlandish and likely unreasonable praises, but I must confess I could go on for literally pages pointing out how blown away I still am by virtually every aspect of this movie, the first, and in my opinion, strongest as a film of the trilogy. So I'll try to keep it concise - Jackson has truly brought the novels to life in a fashion one could never have imaged short of actually seeing it for themselves. The sets and appearance of Middle Earth are among the greatest ever created, an impeccable blend of CGI, constructed sets, and the already breathtaking landscapes of beautiful New Zealand. The beautiful cinematography brings this all to light again, in the best sense of the word - seldom does a movie look so, simply put, beautiful. The costumes and appearances of the various creatures and inhabitants of Middle Earth are once again, mind-blowing - some of the best and most convincing computer generated images are on display in these movies. This is all punctuated by Howard Shore's simply gorgeous and incredibly moving Oscar winning score.

Acting is also simply nothing less than astounding, with every cast member not only seeming torn straight out of the pages of the novels, born to play their role, but also turning out pretty much flawless performances around the board. There are standouts of course, especially Sir Ian McKellan's now career defining turn as the warm yet incredibly wise and powerful wizard Gandalf, Viggo Mortenson's wonderful flawed yet noble hero Aragorn, Sean Bean's excellent and truly touching portrayal of the quintessential flawed male character Boromir, Elijah Wood as the good hearted lead character, the innocent hobbit Frodo Baggins, and Sean Aston as his faithful and loyal companion Samwise, and Christopher Lee as the corrupted and now evil wizard Saruman the White. Then there is of course the absurdly underrated Andy Serkis' mind blowing portrayal of the creature Gollum. Though mainly seen in the next two films, Serkis already manages to make a powerful first impression with his 2 minutes or less of screen time.

Again, it seems entirely fair to say the Lord of the Rings movies are among the greatest movies ever made, for their incredibly detailed attention to the details of Tolkien's novels, and their still surprising ability to exceed expectations in every possible way in film-making and storytelling terms. This is epic storytelling at its best - if you are among the very few who have yet to see these movies, strongly consider doing so - it will be well worth your while.

-10/10

Perfect

Author: J. Cooper from United States
5 July 2005

This is one of the best films I've ever seen. Tolkien provides a brilliant story, and Jackson provides breathtaking sets, special effects, and well directed performances from the ensemble cast of underdog hero's. It's charming, funny, action packed, and completely captivating.

Fans of the Tolkien books will be more than satisfied by this celluloid adaptation, and newcomers to this timeless story will be blown away by the depth and romance of not only the plot itself, but in each character a well. If you haven't seen this film, you're cheating yourself.

An instant classic.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
28 June 2003

Beautiful environments with lovely costumes combined with superb characters and and an intense story...the result: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.

Don't let the 3 hour + running time scare you of, like so many long movies it's very well worth seeing. Never has a fantasy world looked so realistic as in Lord of the Rings. All the sets are very detailed and have a realistic feeling as well as the characters and the different races of Middle Earth.

The greatest strength of this movie is not the story itself. The story itself is actually pretty simple, basically it's just about the Ring and the quest to destroy it. No, the greatest strength are the characters, the look of Middle Earth and the action sequences. Rarely has an adventure movie looked so good and has been so tense and enjoyable to watch.

But let's not over praise it, the movie has it flaws and weak spots. There are some unnecessary and boring scene's (especially in the Extended Edition) but for an 3 hour + movie that's maybe just unavoidable. And no matter how awesome everything looks, the special effects aren't always top-class, I'm a firm believer that the movie would have been better if ILM provided the special effects. But let's not judge the movie for what it could have been but let's judge it for what it is. Also, sometimes the Hobbits (Sam, Pippin and Merry) are border line irritating. Another thing that disturbed me was the editing, in my opinion it was extremely bad done in some of the scene's (For instance in the wizards battle between Gandalf and Saruman) but having some editing experience myself I might pay extra attention to this things...

But in this case all those flaws and weak spots are forgiven, for The Fellowship of the Ring truly is a wonderful movie that you simply must have seen at least once in your life.

Already a classic!

Peter Jackson...one heck of a director.

Author: Erin Mettling (erinme@gmail.com) from United States
9 August 2005

When I read books, I read so I 'see' what's happening in my head, like a mini movie while reading. I read the entire Tolkein series in the eighth grade, a year and a half before this movie came out. I must say, I LOVED the books.

When I saw the 'Fellowship" I was quite impressed. Peter Jackson pretty much took the movie out of my head. He brought this movie to life, and only reading the book, for me, could make it as real. Peter Jackson is an amazing director, and he did wonderfully on this, and the other two, movie. I was only disappointed that he had to cut a few key elements/people. Other than that, I think this man is a genius.

As good as any movie can get!

Author: a_true_american_idiot from United States
27 June 2005

This movie keeps me glued to the television every time i watch it. For all fantasy lovers this movie is a must-see! You will not be disappointed one minute through this three hour movie. You will be begging to see the next movie. The whole cast in this movie was absolutely brilliant. It made you feel as though you were really in middle earth. I love this movie and it is dear to my heart. I've watched it a hundred times a swear. Yet i never seem to get sick of it. Peter Jackson could have never done a better job if he tried. He should be very proud and i know he made the author of all the lord of the rings books proud.

A dire three hour film about walking

Author: Goataid from Bournemouth, England
10 July 2002

The problem with this film is not it's look, as it does look amazing, but it's length and confusing nature. Now if you've read the book then I dare say you'd have an idea what's going on but if you haven't then what I am told is an 'awesome epic' becomes a rather long film involving walking. And boy do they walk. they walk up hills, through forests, caves and over mountains. And then then walk some more!

Another fault with the film is that although the cast has been assembled to be true to the book, none of them have any presence at all. It all makes you wish that someone with some charisma would turn up in a car and get on with it

"The crownless again shall be king..."

Author: Prestige_Never_Pride from The Grey Havens
23 September 2008

I confess to say that I did not see the first two LOTR films in theaters. The fact of the matter was that my sister was 6 years old and scared easily, so my father wouldn't take her. So, my father went on his own to see them. I did, however get to see Return of the King in theaters. I was entranced. I was 12 years old at the time, and I didn't understand the story. But I was captivated. When Pippin sang his song, I was in tears. At the very end, I was sobbing. The sense of beauty it had...I couldn't even describe it. So, I watched the first two movies respectively with my father. And now I was within Middle-Earth. I read the books the same month that I saw all three films. Simultaneously, in fact. That is my admiration story.

What can I say about this movie that won't fill a novel? Where do I start? I suppose with Peter Jackson. I was so struck to learn how these beautiful works of art, Tolkien's magnum opus, inspired him to want to take on such a daunting yet gratifying task. He saw more in those books than I had read from them, and I'm glad that a dedicated fan brought these jewels to screen. Thank you, Mr. Jackson! The cast? Absolutely beautiful. Their friendship is so apparent, so close, not faked as you see in many other movies. Not one actor in those three films were bad. Yes, you heard me. So those of you who said that the casting was terrible, let me say to you: "Not all those who wander are lost."

Elijah Wood, who is a very gifted and bright young man, has such an incredible beauty (inside and out) to portray such a conflicted and fatalistic character. His own striking idealism, innocence, and understanding was such that you fell in love with Frodo at first sight, but not to the point where he seemed weak. Elijah is Frodo incarnate, and anyone else would have ruined the role.

Sean Astin, another very bright young man, shows his warm wisdom as Samwise, as well as a courage the likes of which I have never seen before in any performance. He had such an aura of honesty and kindliness that it shone like a light on screen. His friendship with Frodo (Elijah respectively) is so obvious and true on-screen, and not a sappy, cheesy "Hollywood" special. Friendships that are too sappy (and fake) will kill a movie, but this one was so obviously real and strong that it touched we fans in such a deep way (for those who could appreciate it).

I can't say everything I would like to about these movies. The marriage of deep friendship, dedication, and beautiful, realistic special effects creates an entrancing epic that will be hard to rival by any movie. Those who negatively rated these movies, did you actually pay any attention to the screen as you watched the movie? For those who have never seen these movies, please, do. The deep bonds shared by these actors, all of them, are so beautifully shown, and the cast clearly underwent a lot of stress (For those who own the Extended Versions of these movies, you might hear some horror stories from Astin, Wood, Mortensen, Serkis, and more, if you listen to the documentaries/commentaries), but it is clear that they love their roles, and it shines through in their voices, their faces, and especially their acting.

I neglected to mention the efforts of the crew. Without them, over 5,000 people strong, these movies would not have been possible. They created Middle Earth in such way that it seemed possible to be a shadow of our past: a past world on Earth that faded away long before our time. Thanks be to them.

Yes, there are differences from the books. There always are, in any adaptation. I saw that some people commented about how weak a character they thought Frodo seemed compared to the book, because several moments in which he looks Evil in the face were shortened/changed in the film version. That isn't true. Not at all. True heroism means not only defending others, but accepting aid from others. True heroism means that one accepts that they can't do everything alone, and accepts the aid of those willing to give it. THAT is true heroism. Frodo shows that in every light, even if it isn't always obvious. You can see with much more than your eyes...

Overall, if these were the last movies I thought worthwhile enough to watch (I hope cinema doesn't become that bad), it would be fine by me. Thanks to all of the people who brought this to us, the LOTR fans. To my fellow fans, I say: "May it be a light for you in dark places, when all other lights go out."

10/10, and then some.

A truly great movie, whether you're a fantasy fan or not

Author: Skeletors_Hood (skeletors_hood@hotmail.com) from Kansas City
19 July 2002

I knew from the first time I saw the preview that this was a movie that I wanted to see. Now, I have never picked up a Tolkien book, and the only story I ever knew was the Hobbit, and that was from the animated movie.

Now, let me make my observations of some of the reviews listed here, and I must say that everyone is entitled to an opinion, and here is mine. If you don't like this movie, pronouncing it as boring and too long, then you obviously don't have the patience to watch a great movie, more like you love the hacked off 88 min movie that has no real script to speak of, and only took 2 months to film. Which is fine, because I like those movies as well,but also I personally love a movie that took a lot of work, and is also very spectacular as a result. Titanic comes to mind, for one. I want substance in a movie, and LotR delivers. It is a true work of art, unlike (someone mentioned "Fight Club" ???? A classic?! I think not). If you only thought of it as boring, then you were only looking for action and no story, in which case the latest Van Damme movie would have fulfilled your expectations.

What I truly loved about this movie wasn't just the scenery, but the acting as well. Each part was brought to life perfectly, and the actors had great chemistry together. I especially loved Ian as Gandalf, and I must also give a great nod to Christopher Lee, who has always made a great villain. The action was well placed and suspenseful, and everything looked as I would expect a fantasy world to look like.

Overall a very well made movie. If you hate it, then maybe it's over your head.

A Matter of Visions

Author: happiscotsman from Chicago, IL
16 July 2002

Roger Ebert only gave this film three stars because he felt it did not meet his personal criteria for what the movie should be like. But that is what Peter Jackson has been embellishing ever since he started on this nearly eight-year odyssey. It is Jackson's view of how HE would want the movie to be made. On that note, this film has been worth the three years I have spent salivating over any and every web site designed to proclaim the greatest film series ever ("Star Wars" has lost its edge, and "The Matrix" has too narrow an appeal). The only reason I found out these movies were being made was because I was curious what Sean Bean had been up to. This was in 1998, and the wait was well worth it. New Zealand was the PERFECT place for filming Middle Earth, and Jackson does a fine job in making sense of the epic novel. The actors were all fine in their roles, although I still long for Sean Connery as Gandalf, even though Sir Ian McKellen did get an Academy Award nomination. Personally, I though the best performances were by Sean Astin and Sean Bean (Have I already shown my bias for the only man who could play Richard Sharpe?) And while the action scenes are quite engaging, the Rivendell scene stands out as my favorite. The first shots capture the mystery and splendor of Middle Earth's most enchanting and enigmatic characters, the Eldar (Elves to you non-readers of the novels). Howard Shore's Oscar-winning score is no better the here, with the ghostly chorus holding their notes as the Hobbits stroll mesmerized through this strange and beautiful land. The imagery is so engaging that the audience cannot help but be swept away as well. This is what movie-making is all about folks, and if you miss this, you've missed a lot.

One ring to rule them all.

Author: redflames185 from Lynchburg, Virginia
10 July 2002

The best movie I have seen in my lifetime. I would pay to see this again.

This movie provided all kinds of movie making elements, such as: drama, suspense, horror, and even a bit of romance. I suggest this movie to all ages. My little 3 year old brother liked it. This is by far one of my favorite movies.