The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Page 5 of 512: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

One ring to rule them all.

Author: redflames185 from Lynchburg, Virginia
10 July 2002

The best movie I have seen in my lifetime. I would pay to see this again.

This movie provided all kinds of movie making elements, such as: drama, suspense, horror, and even a bit of romance. I suggest this movie to all ages. My little 3 year old brother liked it. This is by far one of my favorite movies.

quite simply the best movie made to date

Author: (frodolives)
4 July 2002

From the casting to the acting, from the cinematography to the special effects, from the locations to the sets and props an costumes and makeup, from the wonderful film score to the truly excellent screenplay, there is hardly a fault to find with this breathtaking, amazing piece of cinematographic art. Director Peter Jackson and his superb, highly motivated cast and crew have done the seemingly impossible in turning Tolkien's beloved books into a movie, and they have done it so amazingly well - finding their own idiosyncratic interpretations while staying absolutely true to the spirit of the book - that all I can say is: Go and see it!! - if you haven't done so yet.

The Perfect Movie

Author: jiffygallant
24 August 2003

It is the perfect Movie. The story, characters, action, and effects are all unmatched by anything that has ever been produced. It is even a better movie than it is book. What the book did for literature, this movie does for cinema. Any movie fan will enjoy this movie, having read the book or not. If you havent seen The Fellowship of the Ring, see it. It will warm your heart, excite your soul, and take you to place you have never been.

Great movie with a great cast

Author: (reesecarter@hotmail.com) from Home
31 July 2002

I really thought all of the actors and actresses brought the book to life. For those of you who have read it, the movie helps to understand the book. If you haven't seen it, I suggest you do. Its a great movie with a great cast.

AMAZING!!!!!! a brilliant work of art!!!!

Author: Courtney (carbon_69@webtv.net) from Pennsylvania, USA
28 July 2002

I just have to say, that The Fellowship of the Ring is one of the best movie's that I have EVER seen!!! Although most of Peter Jackson's films weren't that great, he hit a goldmine with this one. And the cast was perfect. Ian McKellen had the perfect ability to seem both kind and friendly, as well as appear frightening when called for to portray Gandalf. Viggo Mortensen possesses the right amount of mystery and cunning to play Aragorn. Sean Astin has the dimwitted and homely quality to play Frodo's loyal friend Samwise. Elijah Wood, in a surprisingly new role astounded me as Frodo, able to show both his frightened side and his brave side. John Ryhs-Davies portrayed the proud and somewhat snobbish (in the line of elves) Gimli. Orlando Bloom, in an amazing breakthrough performance captured Legolas' quiet and graceful demeanor perfectly. Sean Bean played Boromir's greedy, yet nationalistic character wonderfully. Dominic Monaghan and Bill y Boyd played the dim-witted sidekicks of Frodo, Merry and Pippin, without flaw.

It was a powerful adventure and I can't wait until December.

Perfect

Author: J. Cooper from United States
5 July 2005

This is one of the best films I've ever seen. Tolkien provides a brilliant story, and Jackson provides breathtaking sets, special effects, and well directed performances from the ensemble cast of underdog hero's. It's charming, funny, action packed, and completely captivating.

Fans of the Tolkien books will be more than satisfied by this celluloid adaptation, and newcomers to this timeless story will be blown away by the depth and romance of not only the plot itself, but in each character a well. If you haven't seen this film, you're cheating yourself.

An instant classic.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
28 June 2003

Beautiful environments with lovely costumes combined with superb characters and and an intense story...the result: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.

Don't let the 3 hour + running time scare you of, like so many long movies it's very well worth seeing. Never has a fantasy world looked so realistic as in Lord of the Rings. All the sets are very detailed and have a realistic feeling as well as the characters and the different races of Middle Earth.

The greatest strength of this movie is not the story itself. The story itself is actually pretty simple, basically it's just about the Ring and the quest to destroy it. No, the greatest strength are the characters, the look of Middle Earth and the action sequences. Rarely has an adventure movie looked so good and has been so tense and enjoyable to watch.

But let's not over praise it, the movie has it flaws and weak spots. There are some unnecessary and boring scene's (especially in the Extended Edition) but for an 3 hour + movie that's maybe just unavoidable. And no matter how awesome everything looks, the special effects aren't always top-class, I'm a firm believer that the movie would have been better if ILM provided the special effects. But let's not judge the movie for what it could have been but let's judge it for what it is. Also, sometimes the Hobbits (Sam, Pippin and Merry) are border line irritating. Another thing that disturbed me was the editing, in my opinion it was extremely bad done in some of the scene's (For instance in the wizards battle between Gandalf and Saruman) but having some editing experience myself I might pay extra attention to this things...

But in this case all those flaws and weak spots are forgiven, for The Fellowship of the Ring truly is a wonderful movie that you simply must have seen at least once in your life.

Already a classic!

Peter Jackson...one heck of a director.

Author: Erin Mettling (erinme@gmail.com) from United States
9 August 2005

When I read books, I read so I 'see' what's happening in my head, like a mini movie while reading. I read the entire Tolkein series in the eighth grade, a year and a half before this movie came out. I must say, I LOVED the books.

When I saw the 'Fellowship" I was quite impressed. Peter Jackson pretty much took the movie out of my head. He brought this movie to life, and only reading the book, for me, could make it as real. Peter Jackson is an amazing director, and he did wonderfully on this, and the other two, movie. I was only disappointed that he had to cut a few key elements/people. Other than that, I think this man is a genius.

As good as any movie can get!

Author: a_true_american_idiot from United States
27 June 2005

This movie keeps me glued to the television every time i watch it. For all fantasy lovers this movie is a must-see! You will not be disappointed one minute through this three hour movie. You will be begging to see the next movie. The whole cast in this movie was absolutely brilliant. It made you feel as though you were really in middle earth. I love this movie and it is dear to my heart. I've watched it a hundred times a swear. Yet i never seem to get sick of it. Peter Jackson could have never done a better job if he tried. He should be very proud and i know he made the author of all the lord of the rings books proud.

A truly great movie, whether you're a fantasy fan or not

Author: Skeletors_Hood (skeletors_hood@hotmail.com) from Kansas City
19 July 2002

I knew from the first time I saw the preview that this was a movie that I wanted to see. Now, I have never picked up a Tolkien book, and the only story I ever knew was the Hobbit, and that was from the animated movie.

Now, let me make my observations of some of the reviews listed here, and I must say that everyone is entitled to an opinion, and here is mine. If you don't like this movie, pronouncing it as boring and too long, then you obviously don't have the patience to watch a great movie, more like you love the hacked off 88 min movie that has no real script to speak of, and only took 2 months to film. Which is fine, because I like those movies as well,but also I personally love a movie that took a lot of work, and is also very spectacular as a result. Titanic comes to mind, for one. I want substance in a movie, and LotR delivers. It is a true work of art, unlike (someone mentioned "Fight Club" ???? A classic?! I think not). If you only thought of it as boring, then you were only looking for action and no story, in which case the latest Van Damme movie would have fulfilled your expectations.

What I truly loved about this movie wasn't just the scenery, but the acting as well. Each part was brought to life perfectly, and the actors had great chemistry together. I especially loved Ian as Gandalf, and I must also give a great nod to Christopher Lee, who has always made a great villain. The action was well placed and suspenseful, and everything looked as I would expect a fantasy world to look like.

Overall a very well made movie. If you hate it, then maybe it's over your head.