The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Page 4 of 498: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Best movie ever!

Author: Jacke Jarnhed from Sweden
19 December 2009

This movie is about, well as implied in the name, The fellowship of the Rings, and in this fellowship we have the hobbits, the small people with curly hair and happy houses in the hills, Frodo Baggins, Samwise Gamgee, Meriadoc Brandybock and Peregrin Took, The Dwarf Gimli, the Elf Legolas Greenleaf, the Humans Boromir and Aragon. And now they all have to save the world from the lord of darkness, Sauron, but, here comes the unique part, to do this thing, they have to defeat Sauron once and for all, you see, 3000 years before this movie the king's son Isildur, cut off the finger off of Sauron, the one where The Ring was... This kills Sauron because this is the source of his power. Isildur, easily ensnared by the Ring's power, takes it for your own, gets killed and loses it for hundreds of years until it is found by Gollum, or Smeagol and it poisons his mind for over 500 years when he too loses it. And now the hobbit Bilbo Baggins finds it and as it lengthens his life it as with Gollum poisons his mind. Phew... A little quicker now, Bilbo, against his will, gives the Ring to Frodo who with Sam, Pippin, Gandalf and Merry goes to Rivendale to find out what to do with it. Of course the only way to destroy the Ring and defeat Sauron is to go to Mordor (This is where Sauron lives.) and throw the Ring back from where it came from. A fiery volcano, of course. (By the way I really hope that you do know why Sauron wants the Ring, I couldn't fit it in somewhere.) Now that was the plot.

What makes this movie so good is not ONLY the plot it is also the acting, EVERYTHING! But one of the best things it the character depth, every character have a very deep story behind them, i could go longer and longer into this, but i simply don't have the time.

Movie rating:

Story: 10/10 Plot: 10/10 Acting: 10/10

Both J.R.R. Tolkien and Samuel Jacksson, no I'm just joking, Peter Jacksson has made a great job with the movie and the book. This is only my opinion, but the book is better than the film and if you haven't seen this sensation read the books first, you'll get the best experience that way.

Final movie rating: Best movie ever! Not a single thing they could have made better! DO NOT MISS THIS! It might sound silly with Elves, Dwarfs and Hobbits, but it is a must see. This movie deserves more than 10/10 but, since it is the max I'll settle with it.

10/10!!!!!!!!!!!!

Middle earth finally comes to life...

Author: karenlynn1 from United States
31 March 2006

I must say I was skeptical when I first heard my favorite novels were being made into films. I dreaded A-list tow headed actors and actresses over-dramatizing and/or faking their way through one of the greatest journeys ever. I feared they'd cast Tom Cruise as Aragorn, and Brad Pitt or some other overindulgent, overconfident "golden boy" as Legolas--a character I've loved since I first read the chapter about The Council of Elrond.

...but then I heard That Elijah Wood, a fine young child actor now grown up, was playing Frodo. I was intrigued. Sir Ian McKellen would be playing Gandalf--and I felt it would be refreshing to see him play such a good, likable character after watching him play Magnetto in X-Men (another performance of his I enjoyed.) The rest of the cast was either unknown to me at the time, or I hadn't heard that they had been cast in it yet. Needless to say I was DYING to see this movie. Unfortunately I didn't get to see the film when it first came out. In fact, I finally got to see it several months later. Definitely worth the wait. The cast, the script, the entire production was simply flawless.

Within the first scene the shire that I read about when I was a child, came to life... Middle earth where I longed to escape as a child had come to life, and was even more beautiful than I imagined. THe characters were almost exactly how I had pictured them, and the excitement, the drama, and everything else seemed very, very real.

My hat is off to Peter Jackson for his excellent job in bringing The Lord of the Rings to life, for those of us who grew up dreaming of Middle Earth. He did a wonderful job of (more or less) sticking to the original story, and bringing his vision of The Lord of The Rings to the big screen for all of us to enjoy.

Hat's off to the cast too, who not only looks exactly like I imagined them...they act and speak, even walk just how I pictured them.

Some long-time Tolkien readers may scoff at scenes that were cut out, or rearranged...or Arwen taking the place of Glorfindel in the Flight to the Ford... Well some scenes don't always translate well onto film,...I would have been bored watching Frodo wait a full ten years at Bagend waiting for Gandalf while the Sacksville Baggins' raided and pilfered what Bilbo had left behind... The Tom Bombadill scenes would have been rather bland, and taken away from the central story... And I didn't mind at all that Arwen was the one to save Frodo...that scene was so spectacular, F/X wise! I'm not going to nit pick about a female elf saving Frodo.

Regardless of such changes, the movie is spectacular! If you don't like it...well then maybe fantasy movies, or classic literature brought to life is just not your thing. To each his own.

But it's a must see for all Tolkien fans, all fantasy fans, and all who want to escape reality for approx 4 hours... and wander into Middle Earth.

Even a little Tolkien goes a long way

Author: Dbioneer from Philadelphia
17 August 2003

As a die-hard aficionado of the trilogy, I subconsciously geared myself for some disappointments on my way to see this film. Some reviewers evidently feel they're breaking new critical ground in saying that the film was compromised, here, there and everywhere, finally excusing and extolling the film on the ground that what's left is so good, the flaws don't really matter much. Well, I can't help but agree, and even at nearly three hours, Jackson and his crew couldn't help but nip and tuck, and so the fact that much was missing, in terms of plot, character development, etc., is not especially mystifying. No, what I wondered--while I stood in line and bought a ticket for three shows hence--was not, "Gee, did they cut something out?" but, "Hmmm. Almost three hours. I wonder how they managed, with so little time." And they managed just fine, offering concessions and reconciliations equally satisfying, for those who have read the works as well as those who haven't. I do agree that more attention should have been paid to narrative regarding the Council of Elrond--here the plot point reaches a real pitch that was much missed in the film. I don't agree, however, that modern audiences are too cynical to swallow Bombadil. (That's like saying that imagination always needs a reality check.) And I did enjoy the expanded role of Arwen--it fit like a glove, and Tyler's performance, in my opinion, was superb (I had heard rumors that there were some misgivings when she was cast). But in the long run, the source work is so good that there's a heck of lot of choose from. Not only was serious thought given to the adaptation of Tolkien's masterpiece, the team's keen eye was clearly focused on the sensibilities (and intelligence) of the audience. Thus this is among the best three hours in film thus far.

Author: sdillon-1 from UK
25 July 2003

CONTAINS POSSIBLE SPOILERS

JRR Tolkien's staggering trilogy The Lord of the Rings is my favourite novel of all time. To call it the literary equivalent of the (original) Star Wars trilogy if anything undersells it, as much of Star Wars is inspired by it. When I heard Peter Jackson was going to make films of my `precious' books I was nervous to say the least. How could he possibly succeed?

Then, in December 2001, I breathed an immense sigh of relief combined with an almighty gasp of delighted surprise. The first film in the trilogy not only lived up to expectations, it surpassed them. If anything, the film was better than the book. I say this simply because cinema is my preferred artistic medium. What Peter Jackson did was not merely film the book (as was the case with the first two Harry Potter films) but instead translated it into cinema. Jackson emphasised what was cinematically potent, reinvented a number of sequences and trimmed a few others with the apparent motto `show don't tell', which is of course what great cinema does.

The resultant adaptation of The Fellowship of the Ring is an unmitigated masterpiece. A dynamic, epic, beautiful and sweeping work that knocks the socks of anything in the fantasy genre since Star Wars in 1977. It is nothing less than criminal that it didn't win the Oscar for best picture.

The deceptively simple plot can be summed up in one phrase: `evil ring must be destroyed'. For this to happen, representatives of all races in Middle Earth - Humans, Hobbits, Elves, Dwarfs etc - must unite against the forces of evil led by the Dark Lord Sauron who wants to regain the great Ring to rule and cover all the world in darkness.

The complicated backstory is brilliantly rendered in a splendid prologue outlining the history of the Ring and how it came to be in the hands of the Hobbit Bilbo Baggins. Bilbo's nephew, Frodo, takes up the quest to destroy the Ring with the help of wizard Gandalf and a fellowship representing the other races in Middle Earth.

The ensuing adventure is so full of excitement, adventure, humour, irony, melancholy, terror and tragedy that it really is impossible to describe the emotions of the story in a few words. Although the plot deals specifically with the timeless theme of good versus evil, it also encompasses complex issues such as immortality, temptation, and growing up. There have been several misguided attempts at pinning Tolkien's work down in allegorical terms, most recently to the post September 11th war against terrorism. To do this is to miss the point. Tolkien himself claimed his work was neither allegorical or topical. It was instead intended to be a `fake history' or mythology for England and Europe, rooted deeply in his Christian beliefs.

The casting in the film is impeccable. Sir Ian McKellen simply is Gandalf, Elijah Wood excels as Frodo, Viggo Mortensen is superbly rugged as hushed-up-King Aragorn, Ian Holm makes a tragic and moving Bilbo, Sean Bean is wonderful as Boromir - a man gradually seduced by the evil of the Ring, and Christopher Lee is great as turncoat wizard Saruman to name just a few.

The cinematography is staggeringly beautiful, making great use of breathtaking New Zealand locations. The special effects and production design are groundbreaking. Editing and sound are both first-rate.

Finally, Howard Shore's magnificent music score deserves a special mention, the best I've heard of its type this side of Star Wars. Not only does he manage to create a sweeping work similar to a full-blown opera, but he manages to incorporate Elvish poems and songs that were an frequent feature of the novel unable to be included elsewhere.

The extended edition of the film is an interesting alternative edit, with new bits and pieces which are all good (especially for fans of the book), but to be honest it doesn't matter which version you see. The film's staggering attention to detail, its unswerving conviction and its brisk pace (not a duff moment in its entire running time) make this quite simply one third of the greatest fantasy film ever made.

Great Beginning!

Author: manherz from United States
1 July 2005

It is incredibly difficult to really adapt most books into movies and still stay very true to the soul of the book. This movie does that in a very big way and really sets the mode for the following two movies. It is the hook and bait that is irresistible and even those that don't care for fantasy movies find themselves reeled into one of the greatest epic fantasy's ever told. Entering a world filled with new discoveries and incredible adventures is something that every child hopes for and thats exactly what sparked the creation of this epic. Watching this movie really brought me back to a time when life was magical and my imagination was all I needed to enjoy each day. Very few movies are able to immerse a person and make them feel very much apart of the story that is being told like this movie does.

Frodo Row Your Boat Ashore

Author: wes-connors from Earth
9 November 2009

"With the help of a courageous fellowship of friends and allies, Frodo embarks on a perilous mission to destroy the legendary 'One Ring'. Hunting Frodo are servants of the Dark Lord Sauron, the Ring's evil creator. If Sauron reclaims the Ring, Middle-earth is doomed," according to the DVD sleeve description, "Winner of four 'Academy Awards', this epic tale of good versus evil, friendship and sacrifice will transport you to a world beyond imagination."

Reading the original J.R.R. Tolkien novels was an intellectual rite of passage; whilst young, you read and enjoyed "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy willingly - prepping with "The Hobbit", of course. "It's a job that's never started that takes the longest to finish," someone said. Writer/director Peter Jackson's "The Fellowship of the Ring" is the first of an extremely well-produced trilogy. Understandably, it's made into a special effects extravaganza, without taking many breaths for thoughtfulness.

"The Bridge of Khazad-Dûm" (#30 on your DVD menu) sequence is a highlight; it climaxes with the wizard Gandalf (Ian McKellen) and the demonic Balrog (CGI) falling into an abyss, from which return seemed impossible This was one of my most memorable "Lord of the Rings" reading experiences - a future without Gandalf was unimaginable. Mr. Jackson and company recreate some emotional scenes extraordinarily well. At one time, it seemed impossible to think that such literature could be brought to cinematic form.

******** The Fellowship of the Ring (12/10/01) Peter Jackson ~ Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, Orlando Bloom

The Perfect Movie

Author: jiffygallant
24 August 2003

It is the perfect Movie. The story, characters, action, and effects are all unmatched by anything that has ever been produced. It is even a better movie than it is book. What the book did for literature, this movie does for cinema. Any movie fan will enjoy this movie, having read the book or not. If you havent seen The Fellowship of the Ring, see it. It will warm your heart, excite your soul, and take you to place you have never been.

Big Surprise

Author: LorDom from BC, Canada
23 February 2003

Before this movie was made, I had barely even heard of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. When the movie came out, it got such rave reviews and looked so interesting that I was quite eager to see it. When I finally did see it, I was SO impressed. The story is absolutely enthralling, the special affects were amazing, and the acting was superb. This movie really got me more interested in all the actors playing the hobbits, and also Ian McKellen, actually to be honest, I REALLY enjoyed all the actors, especially, Viggo Mortensen(playing Aragorn). There is not one element, one scene in this movie, (in my opinion) that could use any improvement. I would strongly recommend this movie to any who enjoys the fantasy\science fiction, even if you have not read the books. This is the best movie I have ever seen, and I can't wait to see the rest of the trilogy.

AMAZING!

Author: Jack Gibson from New London, Ohio
7 August 2002

Truly one of the best films ever made! It was robbed of the best picture Academy award. This movie does not disappoint. Even those who are not fans of the books, love this movie. Set back and hold on to something, you are going to love this from beginning to end. The only thing wrong with this movie, is the waiting for the next one.

Brilliant, my third favorite film ever.

Author: Vampire Hunter D from Madisonville, KY
29 July 2002

I have seen "LOTR: The Fellowship of the Ring" twice in theatres. The first time I left I knew I had seen something great...but I needed to see it again. I went back about two weeks later and realized this film is brilliant. The story is extremely strong. A simple story told complex, and greatly. Although I have not read the books I plan on eventually doing so now that I have seen the film. The acting is also a very, very strong part of this film. Elijah Wood deserved the Oscar for his portrayal of Frodo. He does such a great job. Also, Ian McKellen did a great job of Gandalf. The rest of the acting is great too. The directing is the best thing about this film along with the story. It takes you from place to place so well and vividly...it is amazing. Peter Jackson knew exactly what he wanted to when he walked into doing this film. He had an amazing vision. The music score is also another method of telling this story even stronger. It fits perfectly into any scene they are doing in the movie. If I have left anything out about this film I know why. There is so much I could tell you about this film and how much I love it but I will just point out those things. I cannot wait until "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers". It looks just as amazing as the first just from the previews. If you have not seen this, go see it NOW. In a theatre or when it arrives on DVD and VHS. 10.0/10.0 A classic