The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
Page 11 of 496: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

OUTSTANDING IN EVERY RESPECT!

Author: Jhangir Khwaja
19 March 2002

I don't care what many might think about this, Lord of the Rings rocked me to the "Beyond" and back.

Powerful visions of the past, epic battles since films like Braveheart, Gladiator and Brotherhood of the Wolf. It packed plenty of punches than a dozen Mike Tyson's put together.

Although I hadn't read the books it didn't dissuade me in any way whatsoever to watch this film.

Hats off to actors Sir Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, Orlando Bloom, Christopher Lee and of course the lovely Sean Bean and Cate Blanchett.

Forget Titanic, this by far is more than just a technical accomplishment or creative input. I really do hope that it sweeps the Academy Awards which it will no doubt do.

Birds, beasts, demons this film also very much reminded me of gothic visions of other directors like Dario Argento and the late great Lucio Fulci with there dark brooding imaginations featured in their body of works.. .

For example the scene where Gandalf confronts the gigantic demon was without a doubt the single most spectacular scene that really does shake the very grounds of the film's sequence.

I know I might sound like a real boot kissing art fag for liking this film a little too much, but on the other hand the visuals are most definately the single biggest advantage besides the acting as well. I know I also that not reading the book I might sound biased too, but then again it's personal opinions that really matter.

I just hope that the follow up (Two Towers) also lives up to what Fellowship of the Rings offered us.

Instant classic 10/10

Visual marvel

Author: Kakueke
17 February 2002

The storyline in the "Lord of the Rings" is well constructed and interesting, the film is well-paced (you never get bored tho it is long), and the action scenes are well done. But most of all, it is a dazzling visual marvel.

Whether outdoors--scenes of forests and trees, valleys, streams, mountains--or in caves and the like, the visuals are superb. Color, design, intricacy, detail, contrasts. The backdrops are excellent. There are battles with monsters and things like that, but the special effects are not overdone or pompous--they work very well. A key for me here was not too much sped up action to create excess and pomposity and to have a hard time following what is going on, like in sci fi space battles or the Mummy movies or flicks like that. Indeed, not only the pace of the plot, but the action, has economy. In the outdoors, the backdrops are very pretty but for the most part realistic, but in the caves things are done up, with somewhat exaggerated or surreal colors, designs, effects.

However, there are other movies with good visuals, even tho it is difficult to think of ones that outdo this. But what sticks out most, in my mind? Not specifically the things I mentioned in the previous paragraph, but the LIGHTING. Yes, that overlaps with the other things--backdrop, colors, etc., but it is particularly this item and the obvious sophistication and care that went into it, and the resulting artistic brilliance and beauty, that make the visuals, the cinematography, so excellent in my mind. Whether indoors or outdoors, the lighting effects, the beauty, blending, and contrasts, are the highlight of the film.

10 out of 10.

Amazing!!

Author: sugarbot from The Woodlands, Texas
17 February 2002

This is truly the greatest movie of all time! No other movie will win me over like this one has. The acting, sound effects, special effects, make-up, etc. were all wonderful. They did really good by not putting some REALLY famous actors/actresses in there to make people go see it, it was good enough on its own. The actors they did choose were excellent! My favorites were Elijah Wood and Orlando Bloom. I am thrilled that it is nominated for 13 awards and wish it were nominated for more! I saw couldn't get enough of this movie, I ended up seeing it five times, that is before it was taken of the theater. I recommend this movie to anyone and everyone, it truly is the best, most brilliant movie ever. Those who haven't seen it really should, you won't regret it. I can't wait to see the next two movie sequels, they will only make the whole movie better. As for those who totally don't the movie, I can only say one thing. I read in a newspaper article that tests show that those who disliked the movie had a lower I.Q. than those who liked it. What else is there to say? Besides Lord of the Rings RULES! and hurry up with the next movie!

Perfect film-making, flawless fantasy rollercoaster ride!

Author: Doddi (doddijonsson@gmail.com) from Akureyri, Iceland
16 February 2002

I am one of few who openly admits his favourite movies are Edward Scissorhands and Titanic, but before seeing Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (abbr. FOTR) I knew I was going to see something unique.

But nothing prepared me for this: jawdropping sets and special effects, details that are almost on the verge of sanity (!) and brilliant costumes and make-up. To have such a blend with amazing cast and director... is a delight. Peter Jackson has performed a miracle. He's taken the most popular novel of 20th century, defied the pessimists, stood tall in his shorts and turned it into the greatest movie I've ever seen. I tell you, everything in the film was "perfect". Nothing less.

The script must have been difficult to write but it has been done so well here. Peter Jackson has also managed to get a cast that is known but not really "super-star", and they are perfectly cast in their roles. Fate brought Viggo Mortensen into the role of Aragorn (I can't see how Stuart Townsend was chosen) and I've never seen an actor live into the character so much. Ian McKellen IS Gandalf, so no contest and hand him the Oscar, thank you. The hobbits are wonderful and especially well portrayed, led by Elijah Wood, the story's small hero. Liv Tyler and Cate Blanchett are heavenly and Tyler even surprised me with good accent and acting. So did Hugo Weaving, Ian Holm, Christopher Lee and that newcomer Orlando Bloom.

Added to this is the mythic and wonderful music from Howard Shore. I love it and it brings me everytime to the emotional highs and lows of the film and I see the sorrow, the faces and my heart cries out. It's a powerful film, with marvellous acting and music and sets..., directed flawlessly by soon-to-become-my-favourite-director Peter Jackson. At the end I can only say that I thank each and everyone involved with this movie because I felt better as a person after seeing it, and I'm always thankful for a perfect time. FOTR is indeed perfect!

A true classic that will stand the test of time

Author: taima133
14 February 2002

Reading through some of other peoples opinions its pretty clear that it has had a huge influence on people. Most people love it, a lot of people hate it, and some just don't know what to make of it. I don't think I have ever seen a film with such a huge range of differing opinions. People say it won't stand the test of time? but considering the book was writing 50 years ago LOTR has already stood the test of time. As far as the film is concerned IMHO its one of the best films I have ever seen and in 3 years time when we can sit down and watch all three movies back to back I am sure a lot of people who didn't like the first film for various reasons complaining about the lack of character development and a ending will more than likely change there opinions and will start to look on the LOTR trilogy as a true classic.

What a film!

Author: Matthew Halvorson (mhalvorson@jr.com.au) from Brisbane, Australia
14 February 2002

What a film!

No doubt about it. If you've read the books you are at an advantage (unless you consider them some sort of holy relic and can't get past that to actually enjoy the film for itself). I think knowing the characters and story pretty intimately allows you to effectively "fill in the blanks" where the films let you down in terms of taking the time to flesh out characters and relationships or where it jumps from one set piece to the next.

Having said that I went with someone sho has never read a fantasy book let alone LOTR and she loved it. Go figure.

I thought it was as good as anything I've seen in a long time, but it is virtually impossible for those who loved the books to review the film as a stand alone piece.

****MINOR SPOILERS****

Viggo M was perfect. Ian M was pretty damn good too but Sean Bean was my pick. It's a good story that can make you cry over a character that failed the test and betrayed the fellowship.

I think it mostly hit the mark in terms of what to edit from Tolkien's work. Let's face it, Bombadil was a side trip. Glorifindel was irrelevant. Thank God they cut the songs.

The only aspect that annoyed me was the over-the-top portrayal of Galadriel, leaving her a much less sympathetic character. She is not the wicked witch of the west! But it's a minor point. As a whole I sat transfixed for three hours and then snuck back again a few days later. After a month I'm still getting shivers thinking of it (YOU SHALL NOT PASS - great in the book, just as good on film).

The cinematography, special effects, etc was all superb. The fight scenes were very jumpy so the detail were hard to capture ... but that sounds to me like what it must be like in a battle.

I suppose a comment re greatest of all time is in order since it has polarised opinion so much ... Who cares? Noone will ever convince anyone else to have the same opinion as themselves so give it up. How can you compare a fantasy three film epic to a prison drama (Shawshank Redemption) or a mafia film (Godfather) or anything else?

9 for me and can't wait for The Two Towers.

Close to perfect

Author: m_richardson from Tasmania, Australia
13 February 2002

I am a fan of Tolkien and have been eagerly awaiting someone to make a serious attempt at LOTR. The horible animated thing from the seventies - was, well, horrible. This movie succeeds fantasticaly well. The look and feel are just right - the technical aspects of the production - costumes artwork and photography - all done in such a way as to immerse you in a vision that respects the feel and spirit of the books. The casting is generally excellent - Elijah Wood is the perfect Frodo, Ian Mckellan an impressive and strong Gandalf. The screenplay keeps the essence of the story very well while shortening it to reasonable movie length (I am a fan - but I find the books have overly long bits that leave me wanting the story to progress a bit faster!) The other minor plot changes - such as having Arwen rescue Frodo are all enhancements that strengthen the story and help keep it "tight". The Mines of Moria were always a favourite scene from the book and when I saw it on the screen it was just as it had seemed in my head - something no other movie adaption of a book has ever achieved to to the same degree, for me. I am hard pressed to find anything but the most trivial criticism of what is a fantastic achievement.This movie is so close to perfect it would seem petty to point out its trivial faults.

Peter Jackson for best director!

Author: TheLastStop41 from United States
12 February 2002

I know it's my second time writing a review on Lord of the Rings, but this isn't it particularly about Lord of the Rings. As some of you have read my last review (it was only posted yesterday, so the chances you did read it) you could tell just by my one line summary that I loved the movie. This year's academy competition for my guess will be Lord of the Rings vs. A Beautiful Mind. One of the nominees for both movies, which most of you know, is the best director award. Though I have not seen A Beautiful Mind, I would like to say that Peter Jackson should win for two main reasons. 1. He's a director that has not done a lot of movies and he has just created a masterpiece. And 2. Since he's a director who hasn't done many movies, it's very hard to make a movie that's going to be nominated for best picture which he has accomplished, but it's even harder for a a rookie director to make a masterpiece that is based on a book. Yeah Ron Howard is real good director, but many people aren't capable of making a masterpiece movie based on a masterpiece book trilogy. I know there's nothing any of you people can do about it, but I just felt that Peter Jackson is the one who I think truly deserves Best Director.

The last great epic?

Author: from Colchester, England
29 December 2006

Where to begin? This film is a masterpiece from beginning to end. Full credit to Jackson for tackling such a project, and, more importantly, in pulling it off in spectacular style.

Having read the books a couple of times throughout my teenage years (i'm now 22) I was dubious as to how a big screen adaptation would fare. Tolkien's rich worlds, mythical visions and superbly 'environmentalised' characters created such a rewarding tale, it was akin to being retold a campfire story about your ancestors! (Being English, and since most of this is widely sourced from pan-European pagan mythology, its no surprise Tolkien touched a chord)

So, with expectations that I thought would never be realised I was truly stunned by this film. Jackson, the production team, the actors, everyone involved in making the film nailed it perfectly. My only detraction is that it wasn't long enough. I could've happily sat through 6 hours of this movie such is its charm, scope and masterful storytelling. This film doesn't rely on 'big explosions', it doesn't need a 'pretty boy' hero to carry it, in fact it is devoid of all derogatory Hollywood influences. What remains (on a Hollywood budget however) is a pure vision realised without compromising its integrity.

And that is perhaps where the film really excels, Jackson shamelessly allows the characters to indulge in sentimental wisdoms that were long ago discarded by mainstream thought as 'traditional', 'old fashioned' dare I say, no longer relevant to a modern, western society. Each persona in the film feels like they carry a history behind them because they haven't been forced to comply with politically correct standpoints. Which has left it open to being criticised by some nay sayers as racist and right wing. All I can say to these people is that if they are worried by the aspirations of creatures as noble and humble as Hobbits, then perhaps their ideas about those of us who aren't afraid to express our love of tradition, should re-evaluate THEIR ignorant and close minded viewpoint! Anyway, enough of this, back to the film!

The plot progression and character development work and intertwine wonderfully, and makes me wonder why other films often lack such subtleties. Perhaps Tolkien's writing and Jackson's accomplished directing skills have made this possible, neither willing to take a shortcut if it means damaging the works overall consistency.

The Fellowship Of The Ring is my personal favourite out of the trilogy, the transition from innocence to burdened responsibility is handled so deftly and seamlessly, things never feel they have raced forward too quickly without being explained properly or accounted for. Admittedly Jackson was forced to leave out some key areas of the book, Tom Bombadil notably being an absent character, but with the wealth of material that does makes it to the screen, I think you can say it balances out any omissions.

The film really does encompass a vast array of themes. The action sequences, unlike so many films, actually have a sense of immediacy about them. You know these encounters aren't just here for our enjoyment to watch, they are but one of the many challenges faced throughout the film. The relationships that evolve between the characters makes you embrace them even more as identifiable entities, as opposed to just vehicles for the plot and action to progress. The story fully immerses you into its own world and nothing seems childish or fake. Since most fantasy films have derived themselves from Tolkien's original works, it is only fit that this movie, with Tolkien's vision intact, is perhaps the most believable example of the genre we will ever see.

Sadly, I think this will be the last set of films to ever achieve 'epic' status in every sense of the word. I cannot see their being such a film like this ever again, its a small miracle it was commissioned at all with the risk involved. But more acutely, its doubtful that someone with Jacksons passion and vision will ever be married to such delightful, original, and enthralling source material.

So, to those who haven't seen the film, or who have dismissed it, I would urge you to at least give it one try and appreciate this is not a Hollywood blockbuster, but a story, which takes you on an incredible journey the likes of which, may never be seen again.

the best films i have seen yet

Author: rings_luver from alberta, canada
30 August 2003

I absolutely LOVE this movie. I liked the effort put into the make-up and costumes. I liked how they combined so many emotions into the movie. There's the feeling of love and passion, which is obviously potrayed by Aragorn and Arwen. There is the feeling of the tension and then followed either by relief or (most of the time) greif. when Gandalf fought against the Balrog, that was the tension in the movie and as well in the audience, then the slight feeling of relief, then the feeling of emptiness inside if you, like your insides have shrivelled up to nothing. There is also the feeling of dread and regret, most of the time potrayed by Frodo. He sees no hope to his endless last. I really liked how they used Merry and Pippin as the comic relief in this movie. In my opinion, this is the best movie to date.