IMDb > Krippendorf's Tribe (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 7 of 7: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

This movie rocks ...

Author: Shane Monroe from Phoenix, AZ
15 May 2001

Don't let those other reviews keep you from checking out this movie and fashioning your own opinion.

Richard Dreyfuss isn't washed out; he's just showing us his funny side (like Stakeout). Its nice that a classic drama actor can move to comedy and still be successful.

This is a clever movie, with even more clever lines. The banter, the pretense - heck, the whole movie had be chuckling from to start to finish. The sight gags aren't overdone - in fact, so smoothly executed (even by the kids) you'll be laughing all the way through at the antics.

Look for a priceless appearance by Mila Kunis (known as Jackie on That 70's Show) in the classroom demonstration.

DIRECTION RISES ABOVE PEDESTRIAN TIDE

Author: jjgchief from Meadville, PA
3 April 2001

Krippendorf's Tribe was presented with the unenviable task of having to stare down the steaming blockbuster Titanic and manage to get people to leave their tear stained seats long enough to realize that other films were released in early 1998.Director Todd Holland, who has won emmys for direction of The Larry Sanders Show and Malcolm in the Middle, was presented with a less than stellar script but still managed to present movie goers with some visual delights. A pre-Dharma & Gregg Jenna Elfman lit up the stage and stole the movie from a pre-requisite brittle Dreyfus. The audience that I watched this film with had a fair amount of kids and they enjoyed the pacing and overall performances.Remember folks, that's what this is supposed to be about, entertainment. For those Richard beaters who take precarious delight in his and his projects downfalls look in your mirror and meet the new Dreyfus, same as the old Dreyfus.

If you're not rolling on the floor by the end of the film, you lack a funny bone.

Author: Andy Beals (bandy@cinnamon.com) from San Jose, California, USA
3 July 2000

[And why hasn't it been released on DVD?]

I can see how one might think this movie was meant as fodder for the mentally infirm, especially considering their casting of Jenna "Goofy Eye Candy" Elfman opposite Dreyfuss, but it is well-paced and overall a hilarious movie.

Krippendorf [Dreyfuss] is an anthropology professor who has been in a funk since his wife passed away. The film opens on the day in which he needs to give a presentation -- the same day he gets notice of the presentation, for which he is completely unprepared, having done no work since the passing of his wife/research partner.

I had no desire to see this film in the theater, and only watched it on cable one night when it was "the only thing on." By the time it was over, I was rolling on the floor. By the end of the second viewing, I knew I wanted to see it again and again. Here I am watching it again and laughing so hard I can hardly type.

The cast is first-rate and the writing brilliant.

Krippendorf's Tribe....Funny but at the same time a waste of Richard Dreyfuss's talents

Author: Mike (sutcal) from Melbourne Australia
18 December 1999

For some unknown reason I actually enjoyed watching the movie. It was only after a few hours that I began to realise how bad it was. The question then begs as to does that make it a good movie then if I enjoyed it whilst I was watching it?

Lets look at the plot...In essence its stupid and insults ones intelligence to think that that we are expected to believe the nonsense. Yet I enjoyed some of the comic elements of Richard Dreyfuss and Jenna Elfman as they "frauded" the anthropolgy community.

Lets look at the actors. Richard Dreyfuss has certainly seen beeter days. James Krippendorf is not going to go down as his greatest character, and this movie is certainly not his career masterpiece. Havuing said that, he wasn't bad in the movie, it was the movie that was bad/

Jenna Elfman is gorgeous and "chirpy"/ Her character Veronica Micelli is similar to her Dharma character. This begs one to question the limits of her acting range.

From the reviews I have read of the movie, it seems it got "bagged by many"/ The average rating at IMBD of 4.9 (as at 17/12/99) suggests that everyone else agrees. Yet I gave it a 7/10 on first viewing.

View the movie without expecting to think too much about the plot....You may just enjoy it....

Not as bad as others say.

Author: Tim-177 from NJ, USA
15 July 1999

Frankly, this is the funniest movie I've seen this year. I laughed my head off at the incredible extremes that Richard Dreyfuss' character goes to in order to placate his fellow academics in this. Granted, I don't know if I would show this to young children, but still I liked it very much. Great slapstick!

Very original and funny movie

Author: Ronald Phenicie (phenicie@toolcity.net) from Pennsylvania
20 September 1998

In the 90's there haven't been too many films that are completely original, but here's one! This movie is one of those rare comedies that actually takes the time to set up a plot, and allow time for character development. Richard Dreyfuss is one of the best actors ever, and Jenna Elfman is soooo cute!

Funny, funny, funny

Author: helpless_dancer from Broken Bow, Oklahoma
2 October 1999

A barrel of laughs gush forth as a stressed out professor tries to hoodwink his colleagues into believing he has discovered a lost tribe in New Guinea. His plot is put in danger when a suspicious rival goes to the island looking for the tribe, rightly figuring it to be a hoax. Good stuff.

Can you say "the reviews that said it was bad were all wrong"?

Author: Jill (moviearulz@aol.com) from United States
28 March 1999

I don't understand HOW people could say this movie was bad. I myself am not a fan of stupid comedies but this was actually good! Never mind the reason I rented it was to see a person in it who had one line. The plot was really original, and the acting was okay. It was actually a funny and enjoyable movie. Out of five stars, I'll give it three and one fourth. Sure, it's not the greatest movie, but it deserves a chance! Professor James Krippendorf is supposed to find a lost tribe in New Guinea using the grant money he receives, but instead spends the money on food, clothing, and shelter for his family. So then he has to present a speech about it and the only two words he writes are "good evening," so he has to make up the whole speech as he goes along. The end didn't make a whole lotta sense, but I got the general point of it. This is a comical movie that you will get a few laughs out of. Rent it at the video store if you want a good, (fairly) clean comedy.

Page 7 of 7: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]