IMDb > Krippendorf's Tribe (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Krippendorf's Tribe

Krippendorf's Tribe More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

From the editing room to the check out counter.

Author: yenlo from Auburn, Me
13 December 1999

The pattern of a stinker like this is usually a few commercials on TV advertising the film prior to its theatrical release then the next thing is it's at the check out counter at the local Wal-Mart for a low price. Not much more could be done in the case of this movie. Richard Dreyfuss is the unfortunate actor who will be remembered whenever this film is mentioned.

Can we say stupid mistake

Author: Michael (honestydr@aol.com)
8 April 1999

Richard Dreyfuss and Jenna Elfman made a stupid mistake when they decided to add their names to this disastrous and lame film. Krippendorf's Tribe is the type of film that falls under the category of films that shouldn't have been made. Everything stunk about this film from the script to the costumes Richard Dreyfuss and Jenna Elfman had to wear. Even the supposed romance between Dreyfuss and Elfman was a mistake in the script. I gave this film my full attention for 90 minutes but it didn't live up to what I was expecting. One thing I noticed lacking from this film was comedy, true comedy. The jokes were not really jokes but attempts at jokes. I don't remember laughing at all and if I did it was at them instead of with them.I'am really sorry I wasted my time on this mistake of a film. The Razzies were correct in making this dullest comedy of 1998. They should have given worst actor awards to Dreyfuss and Elfman, too. No way would anyone make me recommend this film.

this is the funniest movie ever and its got cute Gregory smith!

Author: (NKMVAL) from cheezyfilms, mafave
11 April 2005

if i could i would give this movie a rating of more than 10 it was so amazing. finally non cable TV had some good movies on and this was one of them on a Sunday afternoon as i flipped through my 7 channels (if u don't have cable go get it, no cable sucks) i love this movie so so funny. it's got everything you want in it, everything, and for all ages too. there are only about 2 short parts you should cover your kids eyes for a few uh grown up scenes. but the rest is all kid stuff. adults when u see this u will feel like a kid again. it's awesome! everyone should go rent it and i mean it. if you don't like the movie well then u have no fun anyways. it's a wonderful funny hilarious cute sweet movie! go rent it if i can i will buy it and i don't own any movies because i usually think all movies are so so and you only want to see them once but this is a movie you want to see over and over again every time you watch it you will notice something else funny! go rent it!

Complete Fun

Author: LivingDog from NYC, NY
10 April 2005

This is complete fun. Richard Dreyfuss does an excellent job of playing the harried unkempt professor of anthropology. Mr. Dreyfuss has complete control of the script and all his supporting actors give him their best support. And what a cast! Check this out:

Lily Tomlin .... Ruth Allen

Natasha Lyonne .... Shelly Krippendorf

David Ogden Stiers .... Henry Spivey

Jenna Elfman .... Veronica Micelli

Mila Kunis .... Abbey Tournquist (Mila Kunis has a bit part but was obviously the cutest one on the entire set. :)

Gregory Smith .... Mickey Krippendorf (Kudos go out to this rising star b/c he did an excellent job as the son supporting his father.)

BTW, I was laughing in places where there were only physical comedy. Dreyfuss is completely hilarious. 9/10

-Zafoid

Not all bad...

Author: abgkasjlkasjla from Denmark
25 March 2005

Let me start by making one thing absolutely clear; I watched this movie because of my growing interest in male teen actor Gregory Smith and my seemingly endless crush on Natasha Lyonne. I have seen one other film with Richard Dreyfuss in the lead(What About Bob), so my expectations were sufficiently low. When I say sufficiently, I mean just that. Believe it or not, I somehow actually enjoyed this film to some extent. It's certainly not because it's a good film... most definitely not. It's a terrible mess of toilet humor, crude gags and jokes and a plot that just barely makes sense at all. Most of the humor is based on the idea that gross-out comedy is actually funny. The rest of it is the ever-popular practice of making fun of less civilized people(much like Ace Ventura: Nature Calls). The pace is pretty good, you're rarely bored, but the plot is completely preposterous and seems to have far too many subplots for such a short film, compared to what is necessary. The acting is mostly good, the main characters are all credible. The characters are somewhat well-written and interesting. The dialog is at times good, and there is maybe one or two quotable lines in there, somewhere. The gags and jokes work more often than not, and I did kind of like at least parts of the idea behind the plot. The whole film is worth watching if you can do so for free and you have nothing else to do. I recommend it to fans of this type of comedy or fans of any members of the cast. 5/10

Crap, pure and simple

Author: Jack "Rainman" Oates
12 March 2004

Richard Dreyfuss and Jenna Elfman made a very stupid mistake when they decided to add their names to "Krippendorf's Tribe," a disastrous film.

"Krippendorf's Tribe" is the type of film that falls under the category of mistake. The script, costumes and performances of the leads, Richard Dreyfuss and Jenna Elfman were all factors that drew me to this conclusion. Even the supposed romance between Dreyfuss and Elfman was a mistake.

I gave this film my full attention for 90 minutes but it didn't live up to what I was expecting. One thing I noticed lacking from this film was comedy, true comedy. The jokes were poor, futile attempts at laughs. Furthermore, I don't remember laughing at all and if I did it was at them instead of with them.

I am really sorry I wasted my time on this mistake of a film. The Razzies were correct in making this dullest comedy of 1998. They should have given worst actor awards to Dreyfuss and Elfman as well.

Dreyfuss is hilarious in this one!!

Author: john c griffin (jgil@insightbb.com) from Chatham IL
21 February 2004

This is the 2nd comedy that I have seen Richard Dreyfuss in that I thought was hilarious -"What About Bob" being the other one. Again, I am shocked and appalled at how brutal the other so called "expert" critics are towards this very funny movie. Some critics bashed it because of the gullable way in which the college staff and students fell for Krippendorf's ridiculous plot. Basically, Dreyfuss plays James Krippendorf, a college professor raising his 3 kids due to the untimely death of his wife and professional colleague. They both studied native tribes in Africa, but the wife dies leaving Krippendorf very depressed and unable to continue with these tribal studies. The college is unaware that he hasn't continued his research in spite of the generous grant which was spent on everything except the research for which it was intended. He devises a scheme involving himself and his kids playing native Africans from a "lost tribe" being filmed "on location" to have something to show for the misappropriated grant funding. His film is a big hit and he is forced to continue to make up additional stories and film on this "lost tribe". Jenna Elfman plays Veronica Micelli, a fellow teacher and admirer to his work who unknowingly gets duped into becoming a part of this scheme (by getting drunk and having sex with Krippendorf while both are made up to look like African natives in a hut!) Lili Tomlin plays a jealous professor who doesn't like all the attention that Krippendorf is getting from this "lost tribe" and decides to investigate whether this tribe exists (by flying off to Africa to see this tribe herself). Although this movie has a ridiculous premise (who would really believe that the lost tribe films were authentic in real life), it is still very funny and deserves a better rating than the 4.9 that was given. I would give it a 7.5 as a comedy because it has many funny moments. Krippendorf standing in front of a large classroom and nervously weaving his tall tale of the "Mike-a-moo" tribe with a blank sheet of paper as his "research notes" and the way which this story escalates makes for a very entertaining comedy. Some "critics" should learn to develop a sense of humor and not bash films such as this for not being "realistic" in content.

Unbearable Even For Insomniacs

Author: mrliteral from United States
17 April 2006

It's 2:30 am, I'm lying in bed, and I can't sleep. Flipping through channels, I see a company logo indicating a movie is about to start. Whenever this happens, I am mentally and physically unable to change the channel until I know what the movie is. Seeing that it stars Richard Dreyfuss and Jenna Elfman, I know immediately it is Krippendorf's Tribe, which I remember being advertised but never saw. Not having anything else to do, I keep watching.

That was my first mistake.

The second thing I did wrong was to continue watching past the first commercial break, and on to the end credits. I was completely fascinated by how utterly terrible this movie is. I don't think I've ever seen a movie this awful with so many recognizable, decent actors taking part. Dreyfuss, Elfman, Lily Tomlin, David Ogden Stiers, Stephen Root, Natasha Lyonne, Siobhan Fallon, Elaine Stritch, Tom Poston, Susan Ruttan...all names I know, all actors I've seen before, never in anything this ridiculous and pointless.

During the opening credits, we see Professor Krippendorf and his family in New Guinea, hanging out with a local tribe. Next we see the Professor on his couch two years later watching his video of this trip. It is soon revealed his wife has died, and apparently he has been on this couch ever since, because Jenna Elfman shows up at his door to remind him he has a presentation that night about the lost tribe of New Guinea. She's supposed to be his former student, now fellow professor of anthropology, but she spends the entirety of the movie acting as agent between Krippendorf and a cable network. Sounds like the writer really paid a lot of attention to this character.

So he sits at McDonalds with his unruly children and tries to write a speech for his presentation, but comes up with nothing. When he arrives at the lecture hall, hundreds of people wait for his groundbreaking research to be revealed. Of course, he doesn't have any research. Whatever this lost tribe is, he never found it. So it's still lost. But I'm asking myself, what lost tribe? I just saw the video footage of him with a tribe in New Guinea! Is that not them? If not, who are they? Why are all these people at the lecture hall expecting something of him? If he didn't find anything, why don't they already know that? Where did they get their expectations? Why can't he just say "I didn't find that tribe, and my wife died, and I've been kind of depressed"? Why didn't he tell them that when he got home from New Guinea?

Other stupid questions: Why did he buy a big screen TV with the grant money? Why didn't he use the grant money to pay his mortgage and his bills instead of allowing his home to near foreclosure? Why is he so close to losing his house if he's still on staff at the university? If he has an office and friends there, why don't they have any idea what's been going on with him professionally for the last two years?

I realize a supposedly screwball comedy requires there to be a great deception during the first act, which must then be supported through the third act until all is revealed. That's fine, but as far as the story being told, there is no reason for them to expect anything, so there is no reason to lie. It's my understanding he'd have this presentation to tell them what he found. If he didn't find anything, why can't he say so? Why do they expect something amazing? Who told them something amazing had happened? And why is this business of a "lost tribe" being brought up as if I knew what they were talking about? Is that why he went to New Guinea? To find a lost tribe? Why has this exposition not been supplied to me? All I know is, the movie opened with him talking to members of a tribe, and now he's saying he lost the lost tribe. That makes no sense. None of the first part of the movie makes any sense.

That's only the beginning. The rest of movie is filled with jokes that are either totally inappropriate or just plain fall flat. Jokes about circumcision? Is this the funniest thing they could think of? One of his kids puts on some kind of show and tell about a native girl's first menstruation. Why? The only good thing about this scene is the one-line role of a young Mila Kunis as his classmate playing the native girl. He's even unwrapping a bloody cloth in the next scene. I just don't see the point, or the humor.

Nothing in this movie is funny. Everything plays like a bad old sitcom at best. Three minor positive notes: One - the aforementioned Mila Kunis, who has a spectacular voice, though as I said she only has one line, but it was nice to see her. Two - Jenna Elfman's butt. In her underwear. Not exactly a reason to see a movie, but if you are watching the movie, it's there in a pair of brief scenes; yes that pun was intended. Three - cinematographer Dean Cundey, always a pro with the pretty pictures. Why he chose to work on this movie, I'm sure I'll never know. I hope they paid him handsomely.

Whoa, people

Author: rithifruss from Planet Earth
29 July 2002

This movie had all the makings of an 18th century comedy. People perform stuff like this on stage, and they're regarded as "classics," "cleverly crafted" etc., and judging by the comments, most people think this is the worst movie of all time. Yes, it was using some low humour, but I personally loved the absurdity and all the social commentary allusions to our own tribal way of living. That's what a farce is.

I particularly thought the middle child did a superb job, knowing the family of two anthropologists would definitely produce that kind of a family. It appealed on all levels of humour I thought, and had something for everyone to laugh at, except the Richard Dreyfuss fans from what I've read.

No, no, this is great!

Author: Fabio from Brazil
7 November 2001

I cannot imagine why so many people say it is a bad movie! It should be graded at least with a 8! I wonder that's because they can not see this is not very far from the truth, or at least from "possible" or "almost" the truth, of what can happen in the process of making science. Nice movie, very creative and full of interesting citations.

Page 6 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]