IMDb > Holy Man (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 9 of 9: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9]

Eddie Murphy and Jeff Goldblum

Author: jyoung-11
19 October 2001

Apart from the fact that Murphy was acting with Goldblum who quite rightly thought his character was just a nutcase, there was absolutely nothing going for this film. Murphy is now no longer a crowd puller, and with projects like this, he will be relegated to a video collection in a hire store. The way forward for him is the power of association. He needs to engage with up and coming talent in order to bring them up, and for his own sustainability. If new actors and directors were able to enlist his talents, then maybe he will be able to take himself successfully into the 21st century.

Pretty good movie

Author: Sam-205 from Wyoming, Canada
25 May 1999

I really don't know why everyone hated this movie, I found it pleasant and diverting. Murphy actually didn't annoy for once, I kept going to films expecting a hilarious side to him like Beverly Hills Cop, but he kept disappointing me with crap like Golden Child, Boomerang and even The Nutty Professor. But finally a nice, funny, subtle role as G. All the others were great too, except for Jeff Goldblum, he's starting to really come off the screen as a one-note actor. Go see it, especially for Murphy's sake!

Holy Man started out in a coma, and barely comes out of it at the end

Author: Michael G. Sibley from Sacramento, California
17 May 1999

Eddie Murphy saved this movie from total disaster. At the beginning, Holy Man was so dry that I almost stopped watching it. Then, Eddie Murphy came on and made his entrance on the highway. Murphy single-handidly got me interested in seeing this movie through until the end. Jeff Goldblum surely couldn't have carried this film by himself even with the help of co-stars Kelly Preston, Jon Cryer, and Robert Loggia. Holy Man was the story of a man who called himself "G" who came to save a Home Shopping Network from financial ruins. "G" had a lot of great one-liners in this film that made me laugh hysterically. What disappointed me the most about Holy Man was the fact that "G" didn't come across as a messenger from god. I think if that were added toward the end I would have found Holy Man it bit more believable. I enjoyed the blossoming romance between Goldblum and Preston. Believe it or not, Holy Man actually had a lot of interesting messages; everyone who watches this should listen to and think about. Even though it was a mediocre film, it delivered a heart-felt, and inspirational message to all audiences; which is, never take for granted what is right in front of you. Eddie Murphy, Jeff Goldblum, and Kelly Preston give it their best shot to save this film and they barely make it for their efforts.

bright idea fizzles out as it goes along

Author: Antonio C.Gonzalez ( from amarillo, tx
18 October 1998

This is the second on the "Harry Truman" series that Hollywood has planned for the next ten year season. This time the naive "Harry" turned "holy." walks out the studio throught a double door, instead of a single door.

In the third of th "harry series," coming out soon, "Harry" walks under the Triumphal Arch in Paris, just as the Bastile day parade, this time on his honor, is about to start. End of movie.The title role this time will probably go to the ubiquitous Robin Williams (in the movie called "robinette" (french for 'faucet')

Thus the story of "holy man" complements the clever first version of behind-the-scenes TV dramas. It's one hell of an acting tour de force for Mr. Murphy et alia. with less and less and less humor to the end.

The best ground kissing I've seen since Pope Paul came to Colorado.

I give it generous "4"

Antonio C. Gonzalez

Completely Worthless.

Author: Apowers from Pittsburgh, PA
11 April 1999

A bald Eddie Murphy has to be funny, right? WRONG! Holy Man presents us with the worst scripted, worst edited movie in decades. Eddie Murphy is not the star of the movie, and he plays second fiddle to a boring Jeff Goldblum. It seems Home Shopping Network and a evangelist prophet could set up numerous funny situations. Too bad this movie didn't find one. If you fail to rent one movie this year, make it Holy Man.

Rating: 0.1 out of 10. Quite possibly the worst film of all time.

Author: fanoogle
21 March 2001

This tried to copy off of "Network."This tried to copy off of "Network."This tried to copy off of "Network."This tried to copy off of "Network."This tried to copy off of "Network."This tried to copy off of "Network."This tried to copy off of "Network."This tried to copy off of "Network."

One of the worst movies ever.

Author: HwyXingFrog from Canada
16 October 2007

I will have to say that Jeff Goldblum should not be the main star in anything comedic. OK, maybe the show wasn't trying to be 100% comedy, but where it wasn't funny, it just tried too hard to make you think. But when Jeff tries too hard, he gets annoying. He has one monologue during the movie that just put me to sleep.

I will have to say that if they had a different actor than Jeff working with Eddie, it would have been a bit better. But Eddie's part wasn't very well done either. Yes there were some funny parts, but all two of them were shown in the preview, and were unfunny by the time you saw them in the movie

It just felt like a cheap movie that wasn't put together very well.

weak & stupid

Author: Mickey Knox
8 October 2003

This movie is so bad!! One of Eddie Murphy's worst ever. He's totally unconvincing as a lunatic whose beliefs raise the sells on a shopping tv network. The story is simply dumb, some scenes are awful and I don't think there's any reason for anyone to watch this movie.

Page 9 of 9: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9]