IMDb > Holy Man (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 8 of 9: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Hmmmm,different.

Author: davideo-2 from United Kingdom
23 December 1999

STAR RATING:*****Unmissable.****Very Good.***Okay.**You Could Go Out For A Meal Instead.*Avoid At All Costs.

When I was desperate to rent a movie,I had to forgive whatever part it was about myself that was'nt crazy about spending hard earned cash on this,the only thing left in the store.A movie which had bombed in America within 3 days of opening,which was only distributed in 2 local cinemas,then shafted after a week,and which my other video store ,which was closed,had decided not to stack any copies of.

Still,you have to take risks in life.Was Holy Man meant to be a comedy?Yes,of course it was.But it was told throughout,especially at the beginning,in a unique,strangely cold sort of way.The movie seemed really grim in it's theme and location.There was a strange seriousness to each scene.But then,part of the problem was that I thought this movie could'nt decide what it wanted to be.Was it meant to be a regular hollywood screwball Eddie Murphy comedy like the atrocious Nutty Professor,or a satire on how commercials,the media and TV endorcement has changed our lives for the worst,and how,in that ever growing attempt to make a quick buck,many of us have lost our souls in the process?This movie seemed to think everyone who was watching was an American salesman.

That,and it was really overlong.109 minutes to tell a story that could have been done in 90.Still,to it's credit,the time does fly by watching it,it dos'nt feel like this length of time as you do.Jeff Goldblum,whom I hav'nt seen in anything for ages,still shows hollywood credabilaty and leading man potential.Kelly Preston looked pretty sexy,and turned in a really nice performance as Shelly?,a talented saleswoman who never lets her desires get in front of her sweet nature.And Eddie Murphy turned in a sympathetic performance as G,a lonely,thought occupied guru on his quest in life.

Again,not a waste of time.Worth seeing.***

eddie murphy fans might like it, but his critics certainly won't

Author: watcher-41
20 September 1999

after making a nice comeback with the "nutty professor" a couple of years ago i thought the real eddie was back along with jeff goldblum, and kelly preston this could have been a hit. the plot is weak and the three main characters are really undeveloped. goldblum isn't convincing as a salesman, and kelly preston is a joke as a tough analyst that can make the tough "axeman" decisions needed to save the network. this is a waste of 2 good actors and an actress.

A thoroughly enjoyable movie for the simple, sensitive person

Author: Steven Bluitt (s.bluitt@codetel.net.do) from Santiago, Dominican Republic
24 July 1999

Although this movie was advertised as a "comedy", and subsequently panned because it was not "chock-full-o-laughs", I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, being that I did not initial expect it to be a yuk-yuk fest. The enigmatic character of "G" held my interest throughout the entire movie, not because he was so "holy", godlike or special, but because in his presence the true nature and intentions of those around him, by comparison, was laid instantly transparent & clear. I enjoyed this movie more because of what it said, than because of what it showed, which is a VASTLY DIFFERENT role for Eddie Murphy, and one which the general public, as well as the critics, were not ready for. I would welcome a "Holy Man II" (he walks off at the end of the movie, to continue his "journey") but I realize this will never happen, due to the movie's lack luster response.

A refreshing change from the usual violence.

Author: George-48 from Sayreville, NJ
11 October 1998

I laughed so hard that I had to use my asthma inhaler. This was a wonderful "feel good" movie about a simple, spiritual wanderer named "G" (Eddie Murphy) who is thrust into the dog-eat-dog rat race of home shopping network television. Great supporting roles by Jeff Goldblum (Ricky Hayman), a TV network executive torn between what's good for his career and what's good for "G" and Kelly Preston (Kate Newell) who "sees the light" and tries to make it right. A spiritual performance only Eddie Murphy could make this funny.

Holy Man is good, clean fun.

Author: Mel Roseman from Encino, California
9 October 1998

Holy Man, starring Eddie Murphy, Jeff, Goldblum, and Kelly Preston, is an early holiday treat for film-goers like me who enjoy a feel-good movie that supplies hearty laughter and a warm feeling. I went to see Eddie Murphy, and his performance was every bit as good as, perhaps better than I expected.

Stupid Man

Author: Gordon Raisley from Pittsburgh, PA
2 November 1999

I really expected this movie to be funny, and it wasn't. I had just wasted my money on it, and regreted even seeing it. Eddie Murphy is not funny in this movie. This is absolutely plain trash. Whoever came up with the movie idea ought to have his/her head examined! Infact, I didn't really see it straight through. I fast-forwarded a lot of it, and was waiting for the end to come. This isn't entertainment. It's just an excuse for another dumb Eddie Murphy character. Perhaps from "SNL". "Stupid Man", or "Childish Man" are better titles. Murphy deserves better than this.

A Huge Disappointment

Author: Sophie-22 from New Orleans, LA
24 September 1999

I am a big Eddie Murphy fan and went into this movie expecting to love it. Wrong! All throughout the film my friends and I kept saying to each other "YOU picked this movie, I'll KILL you!" I don't remember too much of it because I think I fell asleep several times. If you have insomnia, check out Holy Man.

Odd but pleasantly funny

Author: Matthew Ignoffo (mermatt@webtv.net) from Eatontown, NJ, USA
9 October 1998

This is an odd film but it grew on me. Murphy is enigmatic as a seemingly all-knowing, charismatic mystery man named G. Is he God? Is he just a good soul, a fairy godfather, or a con man? Hard to tell, but I was intrigued by the story. The film is not a wild comic vehicle, yet it is pleasantly funny.

Walk-out

Author: Western from United States
1 December 1998

If I was the walk-out type - this film I would have walked out after 15 minutes. I kept thinking it has to get better but it didn't. So I sat there and suffered. Funny it wasn't. A waste of Eddie Murphy, Jeff Goldblum, and Robert Loggia and admission costs.

a very "unfunny" inconsistent comedy

Author: sh_bronstein from Germany
1 February 2009

I really like Eddie Murphy, which is why I rented this film, but I was very disappointed. The film is very boring, the plot doesn't ever seem to "take off" and the characters lack, well, character. The film storyline could have perhaps brought in many more comical situations, but one had the impression that the filmmakers were afraid of making their "guru" or their other heroes look bad. So the film drags on and on, with some weirdo who is neither too good nor too bad, some hero who is also neither heroic nor anti-heroic and a "romantic interest", who never gets interesting... Strangely enough, although this is supposed to be a comedy, one rarely has the impression the movie is even "trying" to be funny. At the same time, it is not serious or dramatic enough to be something other than a comedy. Well, maybe you get the point, the film is "bah". I wouldn't watch it again or recommend it to anyone.

Page 8 of 9: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]