IMDb > Holy Man (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Holy Man

Holy Man More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 9: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Aborted roller coaster ride!

Author: sandy odegaard from USA
24 October 1998

I sat through the entire movie thinking the very next line was going to be the comedy line that gets the ball rolling and magically transforms the film into the comedy genre it was billed as. In the end I had the feeling that I had ridden a roller coaster to the top of the big drop only to be backed down the hill without having ever taken off. I was expecting a hilariously funny film as are most of Eddie Murphy's. Even Jeff Goldblum let me down as he wasn't able to pull off any of his famous one-liners that stick in your head for a week after you walk out of the theater. The editors even missed their mark with a very noticeable stain on a white robe that changed sizes and shapes several times in one scene. Maybe next time people.

About time too....a good Eddie Murphy film!

Author: John Taylor (jdtaylor@btinternet.com) from Bedfordshire, England
17 February 2001

It is a long long time since we have seen an Eddie Murphy film that you can say was good, the last ones being 48 Hours and Trading Places which must be 15 years ago now. Let me start by saying i'm not sure why this film is called Holy Man because at no point does he say he is religous or he spreading the word, what he does say is he is on a spititual journey , which is different in my opinion. while on his journey he meets two producers of a flagging tv shopping channel who by accident , realise that the holy man could be the answer to their prayers and revive the TV channels fortunes. I would not say this film is a rib tickler but i dont think it sets out to be, it is more of a feel good film that is acted out very well and is highly watchable.Far better than i expected. 7 out of 10 ( nearly an 8 ).

Starts out funny but turns into a drama, **1/2 out of ****.

Author: Blake French from Mason, Michigan
23 October 1998

If you're like me, and you have seen the trailer to "Holy Man," you probably thought to yourself that the movie looks pretty funny. Guess what, it's not. Eddie Murphy is usually quite comical. I wish I could give you a film in comparison to this…wait, what about "My Giant." Billy Crystals comic touch was wasted as Murphy's was, the movie started out as a slightly entertaining comedy then turned into a melodrama that is emotionally touching, but is absent of all laughs. That is a perfect example.

This movie has some funny moments, which all happen at the movie's opening in which a struggling home shopping agent meets a new partner, that just so happens to be female, an instantly obvious set-up for a romantic sub-plot. So when they are forced to travel across town together in a car that pops a tire, they meet a seemingly mental man who sniffs the grass and waves to every car that passes.

Who he is we never find out, and at this point in the movie the last laugh is long gone. All we know is that this is a friendly guy, friendly enough to hypnotize a man so that he fever loses his fear of flying and even uses his miracles to help the agent, played by Goldblum. The way he helps isn't really funny, but entertaining. I won't recite anymore for the plot to you, mostly because it all goes downhill from here, but I don't want to spoil anything either.

Now, I want to say up front that I am recommending "Holy Man" if 1) You liked "My Giant," 2) aren't expecting more than approximately 2 minutes of laughs in 114 minutes. This is not a comedy, it is a touching and emotional drama. On that note it works well. Judging the film on that concept I would give this movie three stars.

For a comedy, well, here I go; The Eddie Murphy character was easily the poorest written character of the year. Nothing about is explained. Yes, I know he is supposed to be a mystery to the audience, but I am talking about his entire existence. The filmmakers clearly depended… no used Murphy as a crutch to hold back their bad ideas. As a comic production, this movie absolutely stinks! (I would give the comedy part two stars, as you can see, I decided to split the difference between the two ratings)

I felt the actors did what they could to try and save the film, but couldn't succeed. Jeff Goldblum is well written and performed, but his character never meets its maximum potential until the finale. Kelly Preston from "Nothing To Lose" was the best thing in the film and defiantly was the most developed. She succeeds in making her character fun and intriguing. And unlike the others, we relate to her.

In "Holy Man" there is something to be made from the clever ideas and few funny moments from it…another movie.

Ladies and Gentlemen..I give u THEE worst Eddie Murphy film ( so far)

Author: Itsthatguyme from United States
12 July 2011

Woow...really? ...really? Why? ..I'm not that hard of a critic. Honestly I'd rather watch Ernest goes to jail than this turkey. ( sorry Ernest) I just didn't get this movie at all. That's fine. I don't have to " get" a movie to find it entertaining at the very least. I don't expect life altering religious-like enlightenment from every movie I watch. Holy man should be called Holy %#&@, Man! it just wasn't funny or amusing or even worth sitting through. I just wanted to see HOW bad it really was. That's the only reason i sat through this. You know how bad this is? I think if u took Metro, Showtime, AND Pluto Nash , and just made it into one " cop" movie. The story would be a cop from space who diffuses bombs but really wants to be an actor. Makes zero sense right? That made up movie would STILL be better than this mess ;)

A Hollywood Cheesecake

Author: Kahuna-6 (su.shi.g@hotmail.com) from Singapore
10 September 2007

This movie has the potential to be a classic. But like most Hollywood production, this turned out to be a piece of their usual cheesecake - a tasty snack but really deficient in substance. The subject of hero worship had been better handled by Peter Sellers in his 1979 classic "Being There". The director, Stephen Herek, had a hard time trying to make up his mind whether to deliver a critique on excessive consumerism or to celebrate free market capitalism. Its sugar loaded happy ending felt just like having one cheesecake too many. "Holy Man" is entertaining in part. Its cast did a pretty good job making the cardboard stereotypes somewhat believable. Jeff Goldblum showed why he can still get top billing without the glamour boy look. Eddie Murphy, while still showing the over the top comic hold over from his TV days, also demonstrates his considerable talent. By restraining his urge to steal every scene, his ability is in fact better showcased as in his more recent performance in "Dreamgirls".

Funny at times

Author: Mike-DD from Singapore
26 August 2000

Though funny at times, this movie misuses Murphy's innate comic talent. As G, he does provide some comic moments, but not enough to hold up the film, since the movie centers more on Goldblum and his relationships. I liked the Scrooge-spoof though near the end though.

Hmmmm,different.

Author: davideo-2 from United Kingdom
23 December 1999

STAR RATING:*****Unmissable.****Very Good.***Okay.**You Could Go Out For A Meal Instead.*Avoid At All Costs.

When I was desperate to rent a movie,I had to forgive whatever part it was about myself that was'nt crazy about spending hard earned cash on this,the only thing left in the store.A movie which had bombed in America within 3 days of opening,which was only distributed in 2 local cinemas,then shafted after a week,and which my other video store ,which was closed,had decided not to stack any copies of.

Still,you have to take risks in life.Was Holy Man meant to be a comedy?Yes,of course it was.But it was told throughout,especially at the beginning,in a unique,strangely cold sort of way.The movie seemed really grim in it's theme and location.There was a strange seriousness to each scene.But then,part of the problem was that I thought this movie could'nt decide what it wanted to be.Was it meant to be a regular hollywood screwball Eddie Murphy comedy like the atrocious Nutty Professor,or a satire on how commercials,the media and TV endorcement has changed our lives for the worst,and how,in that ever growing attempt to make a quick buck,many of us have lost our souls in the process?This movie seemed to think everyone who was watching was an American salesman.

That,and it was really overlong.109 minutes to tell a story that could have been done in 90.Still,to it's credit,the time does fly by watching it,it dos'nt feel like this length of time as you do.Jeff Goldblum,whom I hav'nt seen in anything for ages,still shows hollywood credabilaty and leading man potential.Kelly Preston looked pretty sexy,and turned in a really nice performance as Shelly?,a talented saleswoman who never lets her desires get in front of her sweet nature.And Eddie Murphy turned in a sympathetic performance as G,a lonely,thought occupied guru on his quest in life.

Again,not a waste of time.Worth seeing.***

eddie murphy fans might like it, but his critics certainly won't

Author: watcher-41
20 September 1999

after making a nice comeback with the "nutty professor" a couple of years ago i thought the real eddie was back along with jeff goldblum, and kelly preston this could have been a hit. the plot is weak and the three main characters are really undeveloped. goldblum isn't convincing as a salesman, and kelly preston is a joke as a tough analyst that can make the tough "axeman" decisions needed to save the network. this is a waste of 2 good actors and an actress.

A thoroughly enjoyable movie for the simple, sensitive person

Author: Steven Bluitt (s.bluitt@codetel.net.do) from Santiago, Dominican Republic
24 July 1999

Although this movie was advertised as a "comedy", and subsequently panned because it was not "chock-full-o-laughs", I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, being that I did not initial expect it to be a yuk-yuk fest. The enigmatic character of "G" held my interest throughout the entire movie, not because he was so "holy", godlike or special, but because in his presence the true nature and intentions of those around him, by comparison, was laid instantly transparent & clear. I enjoyed this movie more because of what it said, than because of what it showed, which is a VASTLY DIFFERENT role for Eddie Murphy, and one which the general public, as well as the critics, were not ready for. I would welcome a "Holy Man II" (he walks off at the end of the movie, to continue his "journey") but I realize this will never happen, due to the movie's lack luster response.

A refreshing change from the usual violence.

Author: George-48 from Sayreville, NJ
11 October 1998

I laughed so hard that I had to use my asthma inhaler. This was a wonderful "feel good" movie about a simple, spiritual wanderer named "G" (Eddie Murphy) who is thrust into the dog-eat-dog rat race of home shopping network television. Great supporting roles by Jeff Goldblum (Ricky Hayman), a TV network executive torn between what's good for his career and what's good for "G" and Kelly Preston (Kate Newell) who "sees the light" and tries to make it right. A spiritual performance only Eddie Murphy could make this funny.

Page 7 of 9: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]