IMDb > Holy Man (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Holy Man

Holy Man More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 9: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Standard, undemanding romcom but watch for Goldblum

Author: Framescourer from London, UK
12 March 2005

Eddie Murphy tops the bill, but this is a film about Jeff Goldblum's character. Playing Ricky Hayman, a TV exec teetering on a thin fence between moral salvation (the love of his colleague played by Kelly Preston) and the promises of great material reward from his boss.

The film basically plays out like an easy, over earnest studio romcom. Murphy fights his subversive instinct hard and successfully, but is dull if watchable. The supporting cast are right on the money as are the considerable number of important extras. But Goldblum gives a disproportionately good performance, struggling throughout to dovetail the demands of burgeoning love with his Machiavellian job. His final piece to camera is surprisingly gripping.

Jeff Goldblum strikes me as one for whom THE role has never quite hit the agent's desk (Igby Goes Down and possibly The Life Aquatic etc. were knocking on the right doors though). If you're a fan, endure the candy floss of much of this film to reap what he has to offer. 5/10

Eddie, man, what were you thinking???

Author: Chris Brown (chrisbrown6453@hotmail.com) from Fresno, CA USA
15 May 2002

Well first of all, this movie was billed as Eddie Murphey movie, but it's not. Holy Man actually stars Jeff Goldblum, with Murphy in a supporting role. So don't go in thinking it's an Eddie Murphy comedy, because it's not, for two reasons. It's not an Eddie Murphy film, and it's not all that funny. Goldblum stars as Ricky Hayman, a producer at the Good Buy Shopping Network. Ratings are down, and the boss tells him to either pick them up, or he's out. So Ricky gets teamed with Kate Newell (Kelly Preston) and together they're going to try and boost the ratings. Out of nowhere comes their savior, G (Eddie Murphy). He's this guru-looking figure in flowing robes who seems to have this connection with people. So Ricky gets G to go on the Shopping Network, ratings soar, but as always there's a problem. G is on a spiritual journey. The only reason he's on the Shopping Network is because doctors told him he needed to stay out of the sun for a while. But the ratings are so good, Ricky lies to G to get him to stay, even when G is better. Moral dilemma time. And I think you can guess how it resolves itself. So let's get to the movie. First, like I said, this isn't an Eddie Murphy comedy. It's a movie about Jeff Goldblum trying to come to grips with his spiritual side with the help of G. Ricky has money problems, women problems, job problems, all sorts of problems that he can't fix because he isn't centered enough. G comes along to help him find himself. From reading those last couple of sentences, do you think it sounds like a comedy? The only thing remotely funny about the movie, were the mock-infomercials they had. Ones for laundry balls, or cooking while driving, or the chainsaw. Those send-ups of home shopping were well done and funny, but the rest of the movie wasn't. It tried to be at times, but the movie got bogged down in it's quest to try and incorporate a love story and a spiritual story. I'm not against spiritual stories (well maybe), or love stories for that matter, but don't package them in a movie and call it a comedy, because it doesn't work. Besides, most `spiritual' movies belong in the FANTASY genre. I just read that the director and producer initially approached Murphy to play Ricky instead of G, but Eddie wanted to play G. I think the movie had the potential to be better if he had played Ricky, because it would have allowed them to use Eddie's comedic talents a little better. Goldblum has always been a little stiff to me, and sadly he falls into that category that many actors and actresses fall into; he will always be remembered for one roll, and that roll happens to be Ian Malcom from Jurassic Park, and not the kind of guy you would think could hold a comedy together. So overall I wouldn't bother seeing Holy Man. It's a movie that tries to make you laugh, but eventually leaves you unfulfilled.

This is by far the worse movie ever made

Author: BJ-54 from United States
20 November 1999

I dozed off several times during this movie (if you can say that about it). The "movie" was not funny at all. The star of the movie is not Eddie Murphy; it is Jeff Goldblum. I never learned the point of the movie and never felt good at anytime during the movie. Don't waste 99 cents or any amount on this movie.

I'd rather watch 2 hours of the real home shopping network!

Author: concord-4 from toronto, ontario
11 July 1999

This movie sets a new precedent of badness for filmmakers to follow. If you see it, you'll say to yourself, "This can't possibly get any worse -- I mean, I gotta keep watching this because there's nowhere to go but up... Right?" Wrong. I don't think that you, the reader, could set out INTENTIONALLY to make a movie this bad and manage to succeed at failure as well as this film did. If you think that there is a "hidden" message in this movie, then you've probably missed the real hidden message: don't waste energy "trying" to make a good movie, when you can make films like this that will still reap profits on video.

Aborted roller coaster ride!

Author: sandy odegaard from USA
24 October 1998

I sat through the entire movie thinking the very next line was going to be the comedy line that gets the ball rolling and magically transforms the film into the comedy genre it was billed as. In the end I had the feeling that I had ridden a roller coaster to the top of the big drop only to be backed down the hill without having ever taken off. I was expecting a hilariously funny film as are most of Eddie Murphy's. Even Jeff Goldblum let me down as he wasn't able to pull off any of his famous one-liners that stick in your head for a week after you walk out of the theater. The editors even missed their mark with a very noticeable stain on a white robe that changed sizes and shapes several times in one scene. Maybe next time people.

About time too....a good Eddie Murphy film!

Author: John Taylor (jdtaylor@btinternet.com) from Bedfordshire, England
17 February 2001

It is a long long time since we have seen an Eddie Murphy film that you can say was good, the last ones being 48 Hours and Trading Places which must be 15 years ago now. Let me start by saying i'm not sure why this film is called Holy Man because at no point does he say he is religous or he spreading the word, what he does say is he is on a spititual journey , which is different in my opinion. while on his journey he meets two producers of a flagging tv shopping channel who by accident , realise that the holy man could be the answer to their prayers and revive the TV channels fortunes. I would not say this film is a rib tickler but i dont think it sets out to be, it is more of a feel good film that is acted out very well and is highly watchable.Far better than i expected. 7 out of 10 ( nearly an 8 ).

Starts out funny but turns into a drama, **1/2 out of ****.

Author: Blake French from Mason, Michigan
23 October 1998

If you're like me, and you have seen the trailer to "Holy Man," you probably thought to yourself that the movie looks pretty funny. Guess what, it's not. Eddie Murphy is usually quite comical. I wish I could give you a film in comparison to this…wait, what about "My Giant." Billy Crystals comic touch was wasted as Murphy's was, the movie started out as a slightly entertaining comedy then turned into a melodrama that is emotionally touching, but is absent of all laughs. That is a perfect example.

This movie has some funny moments, which all happen at the movie's opening in which a struggling home shopping agent meets a new partner, that just so happens to be female, an instantly obvious set-up for a romantic sub-plot. So when they are forced to travel across town together in a car that pops a tire, they meet a seemingly mental man who sniffs the grass and waves to every car that passes.

Who he is we never find out, and at this point in the movie the last laugh is long gone. All we know is that this is a friendly guy, friendly enough to hypnotize a man so that he fever loses his fear of flying and even uses his miracles to help the agent, played by Goldblum. The way he helps isn't really funny, but entertaining. I won't recite anymore for the plot to you, mostly because it all goes downhill from here, but I don't want to spoil anything either.

Now, I want to say up front that I am recommending "Holy Man" if 1) You liked "My Giant," 2) aren't expecting more than approximately 2 minutes of laughs in 114 minutes. This is not a comedy, it is a touching and emotional drama. On that note it works well. Judging the film on that concept I would give this movie three stars.

For a comedy, well, here I go; The Eddie Murphy character was easily the poorest written character of the year. Nothing about is explained. Yes, I know he is supposed to be a mystery to the audience, but I am talking about his entire existence. The filmmakers clearly depended… no used Murphy as a crutch to hold back their bad ideas. As a comic production, this movie absolutely stinks! (I would give the comedy part two stars, as you can see, I decided to split the difference between the two ratings)

I felt the actors did what they could to try and save the film, but couldn't succeed. Jeff Goldblum is well written and performed, but his character never meets its maximum potential until the finale. Kelly Preston from "Nothing To Lose" was the best thing in the film and defiantly was the most developed. She succeeds in making her character fun and intriguing. And unlike the others, we relate to her.

In "Holy Man" there is something to be made from the clever ideas and few funny moments from it…another movie.

Ladies and Gentlemen..I give u THEE worst Eddie Murphy film ( so far)

Author: Itsthatguyme from United States
12 July 2011

Woow...really? ...really? Why? ..I'm not that hard of a critic. Honestly I'd rather watch Ernest goes to jail than this turkey. ( sorry Ernest) I just didn't get this movie at all. That's fine. I don't have to " get" a movie to find it entertaining at the very least. I don't expect life altering religious-like enlightenment from every movie I watch. Holy man should be called Holy %#&@, Man! it just wasn't funny or amusing or even worth sitting through. I just wanted to see HOW bad it really was. That's the only reason i sat through this. You know how bad this is? I think if u took Metro, Showtime, AND Pluto Nash , and just made it into one " cop" movie. The story would be a cop from space who diffuses bombs but really wants to be an actor. Makes zero sense right? That made up movie would STILL be better than this mess ;)

A Hollywood Cheesecake

Author: Kahuna-6 (su.shi.g@hotmail.com) from Singapore
10 September 2007

This movie has the potential to be a classic. But like most Hollywood production, this turned out to be a piece of their usual cheesecake - a tasty snack but really deficient in substance. The subject of hero worship had been better handled by Peter Sellers in his 1979 classic "Being There". The director, Stephen Herek, had a hard time trying to make up his mind whether to deliver a critique on excessive consumerism or to celebrate free market capitalism. Its sugar loaded happy ending felt just like having one cheesecake too many. "Holy Man" is entertaining in part. Its cast did a pretty good job making the cardboard stereotypes somewhat believable. Jeff Goldblum showed why he can still get top billing without the glamour boy look. Eddie Murphy, while still showing the over the top comic hold over from his TV days, also demonstrates his considerable talent. By restraining his urge to steal every scene, his ability is in fact better showcased as in his more recent performance in "Dreamgirls".

Funny at times

Author: Mike-DD from Singapore
26 August 2000

Though funny at times, this movie misuses Murphy's innate comic talent. As G, he does provide some comic moments, but not enough to hold up the film, since the movie centers more on Goldblum and his relationships. I liked the Scrooge-spoof though near the end though.

Page 7 of 9: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]