IMDb > Holy Man (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Just not funny

Author: msatlas
28 July 2005

So yeah, this movie is supposedly a comedy. It takes a completely unrealistic premise to start with, goes for a couple laughs early on--hey let's hook Morgan Fairchild up to a car battery and make her face bug out with really bad CGI!--then turns into a stupid sappy romance movie where two people are brought together by some random common element (in this case, Eddie Murphy's character). It's like the movie forgot it was supposed to be a comedy and then we have these two people who are supposed to like each other, because the script said so. Eddie Murphy's character is brought into the picture to provide comic relief, but after that first montage of him messing up the sets, all he does is put on the faux guru act. He smiles, and forgives assorted other characters assorted other faults, and generally behaves benevolently. Kelly Preston and Jeff Goldblum fall for each other because they work in the same office. Predictably, one of them does something to lose the other one, and I wonder what happens after then? The jokes stopped coming long ago, so why should we care about these two characters that have no reason to like each other? What's the point?

Tries to be too much

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
17 December 2001

TV shopping executives Ricky and Kate stumble upon a homeless spiritual man, G, and discover that his charisma and his honesty are great sales tool. They put him on the air and he soon is a phenomenon. However his message seems to go against the very values of materialism of the shopping channel. While Kate realises what's she's doing, Ricky can only see the chances of promotion via G's success. As ratings rise so do conflicts.

This film is a strange mix. Is it a romantic comedy between Ricky and Kate? Is it a comedy with G? Is it a condemnation of our shopping, materialistic society? Is it a spiritual message film? Who knows - it tries to be all thing and none of them work because it doesn't know which one it wants to be. The comedy is funny in patches, the romance only comes in towards the end, G's spirituality is pure what-people-want-to-hear-ism and the satire on materialism is too diluted and muddled to be fully effective. That said it's really the only bit that works halfway well.

Murphy is quite good here but is a little hampered - not being able to let loose and get straight laughs (Nutty Professor). Goldblum, looks, sounds and acts the same as he does in everything else. Kelly Preston is good and has to carry the moral weight of the film. Solid support is put in by Robert Loggia, John Cryer and Eric McCormack.

Overall a film that tries to be too much and fails on most of them

1.5 stars

Author: matt caccamo (caccamo.1@nd.edu) from Chicago, Illnois
11 January 2001

Pointless story of a home shopping network general manager (Goldblum) and his encounter with title character "G," (Murphy). Goldblum uses "G" to help raise sales at the station, and "G" miraculously changes Goldblum from a self-centered man to a softie ready to fall in love with his co-worker (Preston). We are meant to assume Murphy's character is somehow divine, but his true identity is never revealed. Film focuses entirely too much on Goldblum and ignores the more likable, and funny, Murphy character.

Pass on this one

Author: Hemmy from Shawnee, Kansas
19 August 1999

You must really like Jeff Goldblum to sit through this film. I don't. Eddie Murphy underplays his role and is excellent as usual. Overall there was too much Jeff Goldblum and too little Eddie Murphy and Kelly Preston.

Poor

Author: hammy-7 from Calgary
30 July 1999

This movie is a complete waste of time. This flick must have been thrown together because somebody was broke and needed some fast jake. Eddie Murphy looks pathetic and almost seems to be laughing internally at how low he has stooped in this role. He looks about as comfortable in the role of "G" as a three pound sausage in a one pound sausage skin. Even more "irritating" is Jeff Goldblum. His character may be the all time worse role for anybody anywhere. (He is worse than that clown in Weekend at Bernie's Part 2). The only saving grace in this movie is the beautiful Kelly Preston. Scientology aside, this lady is the bomb. Unfortunately, she took a role in this dud. I might have to go rent Jerry MaGuire to reinstate my faith in her. Do yourself a big favor and save your $$$ on this one. 2 out of 10 on a charitable day.

Unholy waste of time...

Author: Robert Ewer (pavilionsf@aol.com) from Las Vegas, Nevada
20 May 1999

Edie Murphy decides to go nice and it is mildly amusing for the first three or four minutes. Homeless, friendless "G" hooks up with a tv shopping network producer played by Jeff Goldbaum and suddenly sales skyrocket. Predictable script but no middle; only a beginning and an end. SO WHAT?? Goldbaum has all the good lines and plays them to the hilt. In fact, Murphy's "G" is truly only a supporting role. However, it is still a waste of time.

Overly long movie with small amounts of humour.

Author: stuart lambeth from Wolverhampton, UK
28 February 1999

This film was billed as a tv evangelist goes onto a tv home shopping network & takes america by storm. This is not a true statement of this movie. Eddie Murphy's character is a wandering do-gooder who's identity is not explained at all. The subplot of Jeff Goldblum meeting his new producer ( a female played by Kelly Preston )& going to fall in love with is just another example of the typical american feel-good film. This film is billed as a comedy. It is only funny in very small doses with long gaps in between. It has more funny moments that I think would work well in America & not at all in Britain. The most glaring example is the combined toilet & bidet product on the shopping channel. A fanny is not an ass or bottom in the UK. This got more nervous laughs than actual I-thought-that-was-funny laughs. If you like Eddie Murphy or Jeff Goldblum & are feeling a bit down, go see it, or even better, rent it out. If you are looking for something a little more funny, I suggest looking elsewhere.

A renter (get it in video..)

Author: leo-37 from Toronto, Canada
15 October 1998

Somewhat cute - Eddie is growing up.. Compared to Eddie in his "prime" the language is actually acceptable. The tag-line summarizes the movie quite adequately. If you have nothing else left to see, go see it: it is reasonably good lightweight entertainment. Otherwise wait for it in video at your neighbourhood rental outlet.

Home Shopping version of Network

Author: jake gittes (jj_gittes@yahoo.com) from Allen Park, Michigan
12 October 1998

Network: "I want you to get up, I want you to go to the window and yell, I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

A similar scene takes place in Holy Man where Eddie Murphy asks his viewers to go outside and kiss the grass. Also like Network the choice between the stars health and the future of the Network depend on a executives morals. And many other Network similarities are obvious.

P.S. The movie is not even funny, even though its advertised as a comedy.

One of the year's WORST

Author: BGW Claw from MA
10 October 1998

Good god what a bad movie! What were Stephen Herek (Director of Mr. Holland's Opus), Eddie Murphy, Jeff Goldblum, and Kelly Preston thinking?!?!?! This movie is completely unfunny, the situations are ridiculous, and I can find no way to give it any compliment. I survived the endurance test of watching the entire movie, which is the only good I can get out of it. Do NOT see this movie if you are an Eddie Murphy fan. I'm not even going to go into the specifics as to why this movie was so bad, because it's not worth my time typing them.

Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]