IMDb > Holy Man (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Unholy waste of time...

Author: Robert Ewer (pavilionsf@aol.com) from Las Vegas, Nevada
20 May 1999

Edie Murphy decides to go nice and it is mildly amusing for the first three or four minutes. Homeless, friendless "G" hooks up with a tv shopping network producer played by Jeff Goldbaum and suddenly sales skyrocket. Predictable script but no middle; only a beginning and an end. SO WHAT?? Goldbaum has all the good lines and plays them to the hilt. In fact, Murphy's "G" is truly only a supporting role. However, it is still a waste of time.

Overly long movie with small amounts of humour.

Author: stuart lambeth from Wolverhampton, UK
28 February 1999

This film was billed as a tv evangelist goes onto a tv home shopping network & takes america by storm. This is not a true statement of this movie. Eddie Murphy's character is a wandering do-gooder who's identity is not explained at all. The subplot of Jeff Goldblum meeting his new producer ( a female played by Kelly Preston )& going to fall in love with is just another example of the typical american feel-good film. This film is billed as a comedy. It is only funny in very small doses with long gaps in between. It has more funny moments that I think would work well in America & not at all in Britain. The most glaring example is the combined toilet & bidet product on the shopping channel. A fanny is not an ass or bottom in the UK. This got more nervous laughs than actual I-thought-that-was-funny laughs. If you like Eddie Murphy or Jeff Goldblum & are feeling a bit down, go see it, or even better, rent it out. If you are looking for something a little more funny, I suggest looking elsewhere.

Walk-out

Author: Western from United States
1 December 1998

If I was the walk-out type - this film I would have walked out after 15 minutes. I kept thinking it has to get better but it didn't. So I sat there and suffered. Funny it wasn't. A waste of Eddie Murphy, Jeff Goldblum, and Robert Loggia and admission costs.

A renter (get it in video..)

Author: leo-37 from Toronto, Canada
15 October 1998

Somewhat cute - Eddie is growing up.. Compared to Eddie in his "prime" the language is actually acceptable. The tag-line summarizes the movie quite adequately. If you have nothing else left to see, go see it: it is reasonably good lightweight entertainment. Otherwise wait for it in video at your neighbourhood rental outlet.

Home Shopping version of Network

Author: jake gittes (jj_gittes@yahoo.com) from Allen Park, Michigan
12 October 1998

Network: "I want you to get up, I want you to go to the window and yell, I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

A similar scene takes place in Holy Man where Eddie Murphy asks his viewers to go outside and kiss the grass. Also like Network the choice between the stars health and the future of the Network depend on a executives morals. And many other Network similarities are obvious.

P.S. The movie is not even funny, even though its advertised as a comedy.

One of the year's WORST

Author: BGW Claw from MA
10 October 1998

Good god what a bad movie! What were Stephen Herek (Director of Mr. Holland's Opus), Eddie Murphy, Jeff Goldblum, and Kelly Preston thinking?!?!?! This movie is completely unfunny, the situations are ridiculous, and I can find no way to give it any compliment. I survived the endurance test of watching the entire movie, which is the only good I can get out of it. Do NOT see this movie if you are an Eddie Murphy fan. I'm not even going to go into the specifics as to why this movie was so bad, because it's not worth my time typing them.

Standard, undemanding romcom but watch for Goldblum

Author: Framescourer from London, UK
12 March 2005

Eddie Murphy tops the bill, but this is a film about Jeff Goldblum's character. Playing Ricky Hayman, a TV exec teetering on a thin fence between moral salvation (the love of his colleague played by Kelly Preston) and the promises of great material reward from his boss.

The film basically plays out like an easy, over earnest studio romcom. Murphy fights his subversive instinct hard and successfully, but is dull if watchable. The supporting cast are right on the money as are the considerable number of important extras. But Goldblum gives a disproportionately good performance, struggling throughout to dovetail the demands of burgeoning love with his Machiavellian job. His final piece to camera is surprisingly gripping.

Jeff Goldblum strikes me as one for whom THE role has never quite hit the agent's desk (Igby Goes Down and possibly The Life Aquatic etc. were knocking on the right doors though). If you're a fan, endure the candy floss of much of this film to reap what he has to offer. 5/10

Eddie, man, what were you thinking???

Author: Chris Brown (chrisbrown6453@hotmail.com) from Fresno, CA USA
15 May 2002

Well first of all, this movie was billed as Eddie Murphey movie, but it's not. Holy Man actually stars Jeff Goldblum, with Murphy in a supporting role. So don't go in thinking it's an Eddie Murphy comedy, because it's not, for two reasons. It's not an Eddie Murphy film, and it's not all that funny. Goldblum stars as Ricky Hayman, a producer at the Good Buy Shopping Network. Ratings are down, and the boss tells him to either pick them up, or he's out. So Ricky gets teamed with Kate Newell (Kelly Preston) and together they're going to try and boost the ratings. Out of nowhere comes their savior, G (Eddie Murphy). He's this guru-looking figure in flowing robes who seems to have this connection with people. So Ricky gets G to go on the Shopping Network, ratings soar, but as always there's a problem. G is on a spiritual journey. The only reason he's on the Shopping Network is because doctors told him he needed to stay out of the sun for a while. But the ratings are so good, Ricky lies to G to get him to stay, even when G is better. Moral dilemma time. And I think you can guess how it resolves itself. So let's get to the movie. First, like I said, this isn't an Eddie Murphy comedy. It's a movie about Jeff Goldblum trying to come to grips with his spiritual side with the help of G. Ricky has money problems, women problems, job problems, all sorts of problems that he can't fix because he isn't centered enough. G comes along to help him find himself. From reading those last couple of sentences, do you think it sounds like a comedy? The only thing remotely funny about the movie, were the mock-infomercials they had. Ones for laundry balls, or cooking while driving, or the chainsaw. Those send-ups of home shopping were well done and funny, but the rest of the movie wasn't. It tried to be at times, but the movie got bogged down in it's quest to try and incorporate a love story and a spiritual story. I'm not against spiritual stories (well maybe), or love stories for that matter, but don't package them in a movie and call it a comedy, because it doesn't work. Besides, most `spiritual' movies belong in the FANTASY genre. I just read that the director and producer initially approached Murphy to play Ricky instead of G, but Eddie wanted to play G. I think the movie had the potential to be better if he had played Ricky, because it would have allowed them to use Eddie's comedic talents a little better. Goldblum has always been a little stiff to me, and sadly he falls into that category that many actors and actresses fall into; he will always be remembered for one roll, and that roll happens to be Ian Malcom from Jurassic Park, and not the kind of guy you would think could hold a comedy together. So overall I wouldn't bother seeing Holy Man. It's a movie that tries to make you laugh, but eventually leaves you unfulfilled.

This is by far the worse movie ever made

Author: BJ-54 from United States
20 November 1999

I dozed off several times during this movie (if you can say that about it). The "movie" was not funny at all. The star of the movie is not Eddie Murphy; it is Jeff Goldblum. I never learned the point of the movie and never felt good at anytime during the movie. Don't waste 99 cents or any amount on this movie.

I'd rather watch 2 hours of the real home shopping network!

Author: concord-4 from toronto, ontario
11 July 1999

This movie sets a new precedent of badness for filmmakers to follow. If you see it, you'll say to yourself, "This can't possibly get any worse -- I mean, I gotta keep watching this because there's nowhere to go but up... Right?" Wrong. I don't think that you, the reader, could set out INTENTIONALLY to make a movie this bad and manage to succeed at failure as well as this film did. If you think that there is a "hidden" message in this movie, then you've probably missed the real hidden message: don't waste energy "trying" to make a good movie, when you can make films like this that will still reap profits on video.

Page 6 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]