IMDb > Holy Man (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Holy Man

Holy Man More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

I'm seeing more than is there.

Author: lambiepie-2 from Los Angeles, CA
18 February 2003

I want to be clear, this is not a good picture.

So why do I keep looking at it when it comes on?

I don't know. Something about this film keeps me interested in certain parts, a little. I guess its ONE of the stories that I pay attention to...the story of a guy on a pilgrimage gets into the lives of two mismatched people and have them magically end up together.

Is this guy a Genie? A Saint? A Guardian Angel? A Holy Man? Hmmm.

But then the story goes wacky. All sorts of unnecessary crap is thrown in to make this film even more awful. The home shopping, the Eddie Murphy, "I'm always on" kinda thing, Jeff Goldblum being Jeff...Although with a more sharper story, sharper writing and direction, evening out Murphy and developing his character, this could have been a delightful film.

Notice, I still didn't say, good. I said, Delightful.

I would love to see someone take this film, re-write it with sharper writing, more character development, and with Eddie still, but we need to know WHY he does what he does, no teasing... just tell us and let him work his magic throughout the lives of these over-achievers and network scum for the network dollar. Home shopping, Nah. But "Reality Programming" would have been a blast, more interesting!

So much potential with good actors that just ends up awful instead of delightful.

And please notice I never said, good.

the path to hell is paved with good intentions

Author: Gambitt from Ohio
18 July 2001

I actually rated this movie higher than others because at least it was trying to deliver a good message, as botched as the execution may have been.

The script is pretty dry, the comedy isn't very funny, and overall the movie is predictable. Especially annoying was listening to Jeff Goldblum babble non-stop(ie be himself) everytime Holy Man Murphy was on the air. I know it wasn't supposed to be realistic, but some parts are illogical enough to turn off the viewer. For example, when G is "rampaging" through the sets, during this "emergency," was it really impossible for anyone on the set to do anything besides point and say, "Oh my god, what's he doing now?"

Nevertheless, I like what the movie was trying awkwardly to say: that everything pure and true is exploited nowadays, and that people will shamelessly use anything, even spiritualism, for commercial gain. I like it because, well, I think it's more true than ever today.

Misjudged but worth while

Author: Ryan A. Thompson (magis@san.rr.com) from San Diego, USA
10 June 1999

I don't see why this film was so poorly reviewed by the critics. The movie was funny, but it's humor is not what made it a great movie. It took a relatively predictable plot and kept it alive, made it mildly humorous and very watchable. It had a beautifully crafted subplot of religious salvation. This was not just a comedy and the true excellence of this movie is lost if it is reviewed as one. Critics of this movie must also get away from type-casting certain actors, such as Eddie Murphy. This was not a "Eddie Murphy Movie" just as The Truman Show was not a "Jim Carrey Movie". Sometimes actors can play roles that are different than those they normally play, and we must keep this in mind when evaluating Murphy in this movie. Overall, however, I found the writing to be very well done, the humor solid, and the execution almost flawless. I applaud this movie and think that it has deserved far too much undue scorn from critics who do not truly understand what the movie was about. You must keep your eyes open and your mind, but if you do, I promise you this movie will not disappoint, and I would be surprised if you were not changed by it.

This is great Eddie Murphy!

Author: anonymous from Canada
22 May 1999

I went to see Dr. Dolittle in theatres and I was very upset with the lack of good solid laughs. There was only one or two good scenes in the entire film. A little while afterwards I rented Metro and absolutely hated it. I had lost respect for Murphy. So when this movie came to theatres I decided to skip it. I had made a grave mistake. Holy Man is without a doubt one of Eddie Murphy's funniest movies. It ranks right up there with Beverly Hills Cop 1 and 3, the 48 hours series, the Golden Child, Mulan, and Nutty Professor. It had several scenes of absolute non-stop laughs that had me rolling over and it had a message! This is a film that should not be missed. I gave it 10/10

Murphy (New Age style)

Author: alex-252 from Rotterdam, The Netherlands
4 May 1999

The career of Eddie Murphy is getting sadder and sadder. After the horrible movie Dr. Dolittle I had some hope that Murphy would take some revenge. However, with this kind of crap he's not doing his career a favor. Where is the Eddie from Trading Places, Beverly Hills cop and even Best Defence?

A divine comedy

Author: Luis Eduardo Garcia Levy (leglevy@sti.com.br) from Brazil
12 December 1998

This movie was a surprise for me. I'll tell you why: it was incredibly funny, but had a "serious" side I bet just a few noticed. The story about a pilgrim which turns to be a famous shopping-channel celebrity is a good idea, but not the real quality of the movie. The fast dialogues, great interpretations and vivacious direction are excellent, too. But the message, what is unsaid, that is important. While we are laughing without rest, we get to learn a few things. I won't list them: this is your "mission"... In short, go see this movie and look for the "hidden message". You won't get disappointed.

Eddie Murphy Illuminates again!

Author: anonymous from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
16 October 1998

I just hope we all have the continued privilege to enjoy watching the great actor Eddie Murphy in more great movies like Holy Man.

A struggling ad-exec encounters a wandering spiritual man and is forced to assess his own lifestyle.

Author: Adam Tamashasky from Dayton, OH
15 October 1998

I expected the run-of-the mill Eddie Murphy film, a half-funny attempt at an original concept. What I got was a movie with depth, and a subtle Eddie Murphy fitting perfectly into his role as the holy man G. It had its funny moments to be sure, but in the end the impression left is deeper than a comedy normally goes.

A very funny movie...

Author: Joe Monterosso (montero7@pilot.msu.edu) from East Lansing MI
11 October 1998

Maybe it's because I'm partial to Jeff Goldblum, but I absolutely loved the Holy Man. Goldblum was very funny, as was Eddie Murphy. I read bad reviews, but everyone I've talked to who saw it (who aren't critics) liked the movie. What's with the critics?

If you missed "Holy Man" is missed wholly nothing!

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
13 June 2008

Cast as 'G,' an enigmatic messiah who saves a TV shopping network from disaster, "Trading Places" comedian Eddie Murphy looks like a Buddhist monk in his white robe with a clean-shaven head. A serene smile on his face, Murphy spouts platitudes such as "You need to find ultimate and complete happiness." Not only does "Holy Man" register as a lukewarm New Age romantic comedy, but it also neglects to exploit Murphy for maximum mirth. Although billed as the title character, Murphy spends more time off screen. Sadly, "Holy Man" waits far too long to integrate the Eddie Murphy character into the action. Worst, "Mr. Holland's Opus" director Stephen Herek's film crackles with pretense more often than humor.

"Holy Man" focuses on self-absorbed TV executive Ricky Hayman (Jeff Goldblum of "Jurassic Park") whose career at the Miami-based Good Buy Shopping Network is in the crapper. When his new boss, Mr. Bainbridge (a deeply tanned Robert Loggia), delivers an ultimatum, Ricky finds his work cut out for him. If network profits don't pick up in 14 days, Ricky is history. Adding insult to injury, Bainbridge hires sassy media analyst Kate Newell (Kelly Preston of "Twins") to help Ricky devise a distinctive network image. At first, Ricky and Kate hate each other. Eventually, they wind up in each other's arms. Breezing down the freeway one day, Ricky's Jaguar blows a tire. Accident and coincidence serve to bring Ricky, Kate, and G together. On a footloose pilgrimage through Miami, G takes the time to kneel and smell the grass. Crossing the rush hour freeway with no thought for his own safety, G offers to help Ricky and Kate. G captivates Kate with his cordiality. As Ricky is about to drive off, he puts his Jaguar in reverse and nearly backs over the pilgrim. G faints, and Ricky and Kate rush him to the hospital.

Kate invites G to her home to recover. Ricky insists that G bunk with him. G turns Ricky onto herbal teas and meditation. Ricky's low opinion of G does a 180 when G crashes one of Ricky's parties. G uses hypnosis to cure a wealthy party guest who fears flying. Ricky makes a deal with G that sends him before the cameras. G pokes fund at the crass hucksterism of Ricky's cheapskate products. GBSN's ratings soar, and G becomes an overnight sensation. Eventually, a guilt-ridden Kate convinces Ricky that they have no right to ruin G's life with fame and fortune. Driving back to where they met him on the freeway, Ricky and Kate bid G adieu. Nothing miraculous or hilarious enlivens Oscar winning "Dead Poets Society" scenarist Tom Schulman's sluggish, pseudo-inspirational screenplay. The premise is that (1) shopping and (2) watching TV are the two key experiences that Americans pursue with religious fanaticism. Herek and Schulman obsess over plot logistics instead of forging funny situations.

As a comedy, "Holy Man" springs jokes and gags that garnish rather than galvanize the plot. Murphy doesn't appear until nearly twenty minutes or more have elapsed. When G should be front and center for laughs, the filmmakers cut back to Ricky and Kate's banal love story and leaves little time for Murphy. Basically, "Holy Man" doesn't have a prayer, but Eddie Murphy deserves credit for trying something new. The magnetism that G displays comes primarily from Murphy's smirking but subdued performance as a neutered but nice guy. Aside from his on-camera antics during a 'live' taping session in the GBSN studio, Murphy never breaks character to share in the laughter. Lanky Jeff Goldblum milks soulless Ricky Hayman for everything that he can. Goldblum is one of those rare thespians who can make gabby stretches of expository dialogue sound fascinating when it is clear that all he is doing is juggling literary baloney. Kelly Preston furnishes the obligatory sex appeal. Several real-life star, such as Soupy Sales, Betty White, Florence Henderson, and James Brown, show up in celebrity cameos as sponsors for phony products. None of these fake wares elicits more than half-of-a-grin. The best scene in "Holy Man" has G zapping Morgan Fairchild while she is hooked up to a portable electronic, instant face-lifting contraption. Although Eddie Murphy saves a TV shopping network, he loses "Holy Man." Imitating the Home Shopping Network, "Holy Man" sets its satirical sights high in lambasting the bogus lords of television and consumerism. Boasting few insights and even fewer jokes, "Holy Man" lacks the conviction to entertain much less eviscerate. Nowhere as side-splitting as "The Nutty Professor," "Holy Man" makes watching QVC a real option. If you missed "Holy Man" is missed wholly nothing!

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]