IMDb > Holy Man (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Holy Man

Holy Man More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Forget everything you know... it's not a comedy. And that's good!

Author: Keith Gardner (k9gardner@me.com) from New York City
28 March 2006

I must admit that I am at a loss. Who said that this film was "supposed to be a comedy?" And in some sense, who really cares, because who gets the right to determine any of that for us? Oh I get it. The previews, the trailers. Well, fortunately, I didn't see any of those. I was lucky enough to see the movie on cable, unannounced. I remember something about it back in the day when it came out, but I didn't pay it much attention. Just seeing it, unexpected, thinking in fact that I was ~not~ going to watch it because I was not in the mood for an Eddie Murphy comedy, but sticking with it because it was nothing of the sort. A nice feeling.

So, what about the movie? Well, it walks the line between movie and film. It's by no means a comedy. I can't think of any part of it that was a comedy movie. That's not to say it was depressing or anything. It was really great, I laughed at some parts, and felt a quiver at other parts. I think it's exactly the kind of "message" film that only someone like Eddie Murphy, with his seemingly limitless appeal, could bring to the big screen. It was a gamble, and it seems not to have paid off in the short term, but I think the film has staying power. I don't see any reason why this movie won't survive the test of time. I don't even particularly like Jeff Goldblum, but you see it wasn't a Jeff Goldblum movie either. In fact, when it was over, I was asking, "who made this film?" Who are these people? So now I'm going to sign off here and go look those people up. There's really something here.

A feel good movie

Author: Adam Douglas (salvatore_luciana@hotmail.com) from Ipswich, England
25 September 2001

This is a really good feel good movie, nothing much happens, it all works out ok in the end, the male lead is attractive, the female lead gorgeous AND cute and smart... its just an "easy listening" movie out of the top draw. Everyone plays their part well, and the twist in the tail - although it isnt exactly a shock - is handled really really well and subtley. If you want a really meaningful film or something really out there, this isnt it. If you want to cuddle up with your honey and watch 90 mins of well acted, slick, intelligent and unchallenged TV, with a quiet and understated message of hope and all round niceness, this is your movie.

There ARE criticisms one could make, for a start, first of all that like many movies about movies or TV (see EDTV, Truman Show etc etc) it vastly overplays the importance and direct effect of TV on ordinary people, but to dwell on such things is to ignore this movies appeal. It is not trying to be a classic, or a work of genius, just a good movie with a message of hope and an ideal of the universe that - however small it appears to be - is startling in its own way.

Lightweight romcom with pseudo-philosophical fluffy bits

Author: (thehumanduvet@hotmail.com) from uk
20 February 2001

Sentimentalism rules, but doesn't ruin, this gentle romcom dealing with Goldblum's workaholic TV producer, his pretty new coworker and Eddie Murphy's mysterious guru type G, who comes into their lives at random and causes all manner of upset. A reasonably interesting storyline and quite a few funny moments and ideas raise this from the pit of feelgood slush to the dizzy heights of the quite passable romantic comedy. Goldblum is as reliable as ever and Murphy's return to form has clearly begun, with a good, restrained performance as the wacky nomadic philosopher-yogi. Not much can be said for the other characters, remaining as they usually do in this genre pretty lifeless backdrop for the main stars, though anyone who remembers Pretty in Pink with fondness will be happy to see Jon Cryer still working, putting in a quiet performance as Goldblum's assistant. Fans of the stars should like it, and the TV shopping channel angle is an interesting, original setting for a movie, providing numerous opportunities for easy laughs. Not bad at all.

I can watch this film over and over again and still laugh

Author: granaryboys from Budleigh Salterton, England
19 December 2000

A brilliant film with loads of excellent one liners to titillate. Eddie Murphy plays a fab part as G, you're never quite sure if he is as innocent as he makes out! Is he a fraud or not? Jeff Goldblum is also excellent as "Robert Ricky" the cynical shopping channel executive. Watching how "conformists" react to an alternative lifestyle provides many laughs - watch out for the urineade scene. Every time this film is on, I find myself settling down to watch just a few minutes, then of course I end up watching it all. I have a feeling it has already joined Wayne's World as one of of those films where you lie in wait for your favourite scenes, then recite them! Definitely well worth watching especially if you have a quirky sense of humour. Fab.

Pleasant, amusing, with a streak of satyrical comment

Author: Paul M from Cambridge, England
12 December 2000

Jeff Goldblum is a shopping TV advertising producer whose sales have been falling. Kate Newell is a new hire who poses a threat. Together by chance they meet a Eddie Murphy, a drifter, who shakes up their lives and becomes a hero to the TV audience.

Some very funny moments, taking a good few sideways hits at the TV shopping phenomena and audiences, the film also has a romantic interest and a happy ending.

I enjoyed it, but it's only worth watching once, maybe twice for fans of Murphy or Goldblum.

Enjoyable

Author: (darrenjj72@ask.co.uk) from Watford
4 October 2000

Why no one likes this film is beyond me. its funny and poignant. Eddie has his best role since "Hills Cop 3". This is also very close to real life and how people are pressured into buying things they don't need. See it and enjoy it, don't and your missing out.

Very Positive/Uplifting and Great Humour

Author: Philaura from Hollywood, CA
5 September 2000

Great feel good movie. Not a typical Eddie Murphy type character. I would not have cast him if I was doing it myself, and that would have been a mistake because he was fabulous as the charismatic modern day prophet. And Jeff Goldblum is at his best. Fast paced humour and a lovely romance to boot with darling Kelly Preston a real delight. I've watched this movie many times and will enjoy it many more I'm sure. One of my all time favorites.

A good movie

Author: Mary Mo from ohio
17 February 2000

This was a good movie that was mostly about the relationship between a man and a woman. It gets interesting when a man who calls himself just "G" enters their lives. It's a good movie about love and the importance of spirituality. Go see it.

Thoughtful, inspiring comedy about the meaning of life and consumerism

Author: François Lavallée (francois.laval@videotron.ca) from Québec, Québec, Canada
20 November 1999

Very good, thoughtful comedy, where you can reflect on what your priorities are in life and what TV and consumerism are all about. I found none of the actors to be amazing, but they are o.k. and the story is worth watching. Looking for low-level, gross comedy? Won't like this one. Looking for an amusing and inspiring plot? Go for it.

Good, solid movie...though misunderstood by many.

Author: Lursa from Jackson, Mississippi
30 October 1999

This is one of the best films I've seen in a long time. I actually passed on it in the theatres because it was promoted at an "Eddie Murphy Movie". I finally saw it on video and was totally charmed. Holy Man was hard for critics and viewers to get a handle on. It's a good movie with heart and a message. Not many people expect or want that. Eddie is great as the holy man in the title. Kelly Preston is good and Jeff Goldblum actually seems less annoying than usual.

Page 3 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]