IMDb > Holy Man (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Holy Man

Holy Man More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Subtle and deeply meaningful...one of my favorite movies

Author: Kyle Russell (tigercrash@earthlink.net) from Washington, DC
13 May 2005

I think the last two posters described very well, two facets of this beautiful gem. It's sad this movie got such bad reviews, as I think it was misrepresented in the press since Eddie was in it.

I'm very selective of the movies I watch...I'm one of the international cinema crowd also, so I tend toward deeper, more intense movies. This is a movie I've watched countless times, and I've never tired of it...and I've always cried at the end. This is one of the few movies that, to this day, still causes me to cry at the self-sacrifice and parting of the friends.

This is probably because for me I see another facet of it as a modern parable...very subtle, but powerful, and poignant. This is not a movie about comedy, and funny situations with a guru...in my opinion that is simply the stage being set, and the backdrop raised, for a parable about the value of true friendship and relationships...when we move beyond simply 'using' each other in the normal progression of our daily lives, into the realm of true friends.

The two high-points are: 1. Ricky (Jeff) finding the better part of himself, that he never knew he had and was against much of who he thought he should be, to tell G to go, to leave the show. The virtue of self-sacrifice for the betterment of a friend. The build-up, timing, music, and dialog were well-edited and synchronized for a very poignant moment.

2. And this happens again, in a wonderful way...another poignant moment as Ricky, G, and Kate meet once more on the highway to say goodbye to each other...for the last time. It's bittersweet but incredibly moving, and once again Ricky gets a glimpse of the much better part of himself, that he didn't know he had, and that has the potential to emerge. It's very beautiful and touching. And we sense that they are all on a better road for the journey for the experience.

What touches me most deeply is the strong sense of true friends made, how they touch and effect our lives, and then move apart. We'll probably never see each other again, but we will never forget each other and what we did for each other to make our lives a little brighter and better. I've had several true friends like that, and that chord strikes beautifully here.

I strongly recommend this film. It is a great parable of the coming of true friendship.

What a smile, Eddie is the man..

Author: Zack from Canberra, Australia
26 November 1998

This movie had everything in it. From laughter, to deep thoughts. I thought it was an excellent movie and I absolutely loved that story with the starfish on the beach on a stormy day. It kinda makes you look at life a little different..

9* out of 10... Extremely funny movie, go see it..

I love this movie!

Author: flexico from Sausalito, CA
7 October 2000

I really had very low expectations of this movie the night I rented it. Yet, I couldn't have been more pleasantly surprised. This is a fun-loving inspiring movie that manages to come to a conclusion without employing one murder scene, sex scene, or expletive. My wife and I both found ourselves truly inspired after watching it.

Sappy

Author: choekstra-898-601814 from Chicago, IL
16 January 2014

This is a good movie if you like shallow, somewhat sentimental, over-the-top sappy movies. Good for a long rainy day or if you need a good nap. Since I need to make my review longer, here goes: Jeff Goldblum, Robert Loggia, and Eddie Murphy are wonderfully talented actors who are wasted in this movie. They must have had some down time between gigs. Eddie is kind of like Axel Foley on downers, I don't think he laughed once. He was charming, but the camera was never on him long enough to be entertained for long. I'm not in the business, but even I got dizzy with all the cutting away from shots. As far as the religious aspects, not sure what they were going for. I know that was probably the point ... all religions are the same, it's all about feeling good about yourself, and following the golden rule of being good to your fellow man. If you do more good than bad, maybe you'll meet God in the end ... but that's antithetical to biblical Christianity; even one sin is enough to condemn in God's perfect holiness. Only Christ can pay our penalty through his death ... so in that sense, all religions are not the same. Those of us who accept Christ would probably find this move inadequate to be called 'Holy Man'.

Mediocre Murphy Movie,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
12 July 2013

Holy Man is not a terrible movie,it's definitely not as bad as critics mad it out to be,but it isn't brilliant.Eddie Murphy has done some brilliant movies and some terrible movies,this isn't either of those,it's not Beverly Hills Cop but it's also not Norbit.There are a good few parts that made me laugh,but nothing had me laughing out loud,but there's also just as much jokes that didn't work out.I found Eddie Murphy's character very likable,but I really didn't like Jeff Goldblum in this movie,I found his character and his overall performance very irritating,and I think this movie could have done much better with a more comedic actor,like Ben Stiller or Jim Carrey,they would have done a much better job.There were a few parts of Holy Man that made me laugh,but I wouldn't recommend this movie,it isn't Eddie Murphy's worst,but it's certainly not his best.

Ricky Hayman (Jeff Goldblum) is the head of a failing shopping cable channel and only has two weeks to save it,he finds the answer in G (Eddie Murphy),an enigmatic holy man.

The Good Samaritan of Shopping

Author: wes-connors from Earth
9 July 2013

His job security is tenuous because program manager Jeff Goldblum (as Ricky Hayman) has failed to get viewers to tune in and order merchandise from the Miami-based "Good Buy Shopping Network" (GBSN). Attractive blonde Kelly Preston (as Kate Newell) is hired to help make the station turn a profit. At first, Ms. Preston clashes with Mr. Goldblum. Later, they have trouble deciding whether to kiss or quarrel. While driving, the couple has a flat tire and winds up almost hitting an apparently homeless Eddie Murphy (as "G."). After fainting, Mr. Murphy is brought to a hospital...

Murphy is dismissed from the hospital and moves in with Goldblum. Physically fit, Murphy makes a health drink for his host which may include urine. Goldblum is preoccupied with work. Murphy acts like a happy guru, promoting the power of positive thinking. While obviously non-materialistic, Murphy innocently joins GBSN hosts, helping pitch their products. This winds up helping Goldblum. Murphy's winning personality makes the home shopping network a sales sensation, but at a cost...

Murphy receives "over the title" star-billing, but Goldblum is arguably the leading man. Editing may have resulted in Murphy getting less screen time; it's difficult to tell. More probably, the actors were paid more millions than film realized at the box office. Murphy is acting out of his comfort zone and Goldblum always seems to work best opposite special effects. The overall film fails, but there are effective scenes. For example, Murphy crashing Goldblum's party is fun, with Eric McCormack (as Scott Hawkes) contributing well (throughout). As GBSN co-workers, Jon Cryer and Robert Loggia lend good support...

There are several celebrity cameos. Worst may be Betty White advertising an aphrodisiac that make women smell like clams (apparently). Best is Morgan Fairchild promoting a non-surgical "face-lift" which distorts her visage. Moreover, director Stephen Herek and Murphy should have worked together to improve the latter's participation in the GBSN skits - perhaps adding a little of the spontaneous happenstance Lucille Ball delivered so well. This might have also helped Murphy's "chainsaw" segment, which seems out-of-character and doesn't pull all the potential comedy from the situation.

**** Holy Man (10/9/98) Stephen Herek ~ Jeff Goldblum, Eddie Murphy, Kelly Preston, Eric McCormack

A Thought provoking movie about materialism

Author: david-sarkies from Australia
28 September 2012

This is a really surprising movie to come out of Disneyland (or Touchstone Pictures, which is Disney's non-children specific film house). I say this because in a way it is very anti-capitalist, and has people come to the understanding that using people to get to where they want to be is not a good thing. In fact, this movie seems to spit in the face of what is typical about American Culture - that is that the individual is most important and the success of the individual, over and above the welfare of others, is what counts the most.

The movie focuses around an executive in a home shopping network. The problem is that this network is failing due to lack of sales, and he is given the blame. He thinks himself to be a pretty good salesperson, but the reality is that he is the same as all the others. Then one day they find themselves broken down on the freeway and sees a weird man walking along the medium strip. He tries to hide from him but his partner sees him and waves. This man, G (Eddie Murphy) responds and approaches them. Even though the executive does not want G around, he comes to see that G has a lot of charisma and simply attracts people. Upon seeing this, he begins to use G for everything that he has.

The movie is thus about how this executive comes to terms with himself and how he is treating G. G will do anything for him and asks for nothing in return. Though G spouts a lot of wisdom, he will use his charisma and the things that he talks about to sell products. He really doesn't care what G has to say, nor is he interested in what he has to say to others. Rather he wants to increase his sales quota so that he can remain in his job.

It is interesting to note that the movie begins appearing to be one way with an antagonist, but this guy vanishes quickly and we realise that the antagonist is the executive himself. He doesn't crash and burn though, but rather realises the gift that he has been given, and upon seeing that, releases G. What G has showed him that it is not the money or material goods that count, but the relationships that we have with others. When we lose something, then we know that it is gone. In a way, we take things foregranted until they are gone. This is not the key to the movie, but one of the minor things that comes out of it.

It is not a movie about redemption, nor is it a tragedy, but rather it is about a man who comes to understand himself and how he has completely missed the point of things. Personally, I think it is very good.

Everything that's bad about Hollywood

Author: Rod Jones from France
25 August 2012

First the positives... I agree with some reviewers who thought that the film contained an important message about the distorted values of 21st century society. It also had some laugh out loud moments, and I definitely felt that there was a good story trying to get out. I loved the idea that the major religions were all trying to claim Eddy Murphy's 'G' character, the eponymous 'Holy Man', as their own. Indeed, there were several good metaphors for the ills of modern society.

As always, Eddy Murphy did his best with a poor script, but sadly, the two romantic lead characters were totally unbelievable.

And in common with a lot of Hollywood's recent output, the whole thing was handled with the subtlety of a bull in a china shop, and felt like it was directed by a committee.

Overall... very poor.

Avoid!

Connecting.....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
25 August 2012

Ricky Hayman, right hand of Good Buy Shopping Network's owner John McBainbridge, is responsible for over two years of very bad sales numbers. He gets a last chance.

Accidentally, he and Kate Newell nearly run over G with his car and decide to take him with them.

What they never could guess was that G really is the one good man around. Being on the search for enlightenment, G offers his help generously to save Ricky's job.

His natural, uncontrollable behaviour soon gets Ricky into really big trouble, but the sales numbers now go up for the first time in months...

So officially this is the first movie starring Murphy that didn't go into profit, but it's a strange thing, because with this, Life and Bowfinger, it made 1999 one of the best years for Murphy at the cinema, material wise.

I'm not surprised that the film has such a low rating on here, there is so much hate for the man, I doubt he will ever make a comeback, but this is such a lovely little movie, it does have to be seen.

If you are expecting the star to be on maniacal form, think again, this is him at his most calmest, after all, he is playing some sort of bohemian, and he plays G really really well.

Goldblum is good as the slimy exec come good, and Preston is always easy on the eye.

At the end of the day, this is basically a family friendly Network, lots of preaching about life being too short, and although it can get a little too sugary at times, it warms the heart and never outstays it's welcome.

It's worth seeing, just for the feel good factor.

It's a feel-good movie

Author: chuck_gregory from United States
13 August 2008

My wife watches lots of movies, and I usually read instead. But when I stopped in the bedroom tonight I noticed some very funny stuff on the screen, and she told me she was watching a great movie with Jeff Goldblum and Eddie Murphy. I lay down to watch a little--and I was hooked.

'G' (Murphy) is totally off the wall. Sucked in to the world of selling, you'd think he'd just have to be a total fake. He is a total flake perhaps, but not a fake, although he's surrounded by plenty of those. In a confrontation of values, who will win? You ought to watch this movie to find out.

Page 2 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]