IMDb > Half Baked (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Half Baked

Half Baked More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 17: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Great Movie, almost all praise

Author: banditt76 from texas
20 December 1999

First off i hate stoners, especially the ones who on these types of comments say i love seein the movie high and stuff like that makes me sick, get help, up with hope down with dope, anyway as for the movie, it rules, i am a future write/comedian so i appreciate alot(not that you dont) the great writing, this movies had a bad plot cause it was setting up such great jokes the whole movies, and the movies is weaved so well with Mary Jane being at the prison and thats her motive for hating weed and thats how they meet, beautiful stuff really, i could praise it but i dont wanna get blacklisted for giving away the movie so email me if you hated it we can talk

Very, very good. Quite astounding, really.

Author: Quimby-2 from Toronto, Ontario
5 December 1999

Half Baked was one of the most pleasant surprises of 1998. It's nice to see a return to comedies with actual jokes in them. And yes, this movie does lend itself to viewing under the influence. Perhaps not a work of art, but very funny. If you didn't like this movie, you're either a puritan or you're just a bad sport.

Best Stoner Movie to Date!!!

Author: BradFan from USA
15 November 1999

If you're pro-cannibas this movie is a must see! It doesn't condone pot smoking, but it doesn't down it either. I actually think this movie is the first movie scince Cheech and Chong did their movies to actually show an unbiased view on the effects of smoking marijuana. Anyway, I really found the moving both entertaining and educational in an odd kind of way.

I actually liked this movie!

Author: Roxbury
8 November 1999

At first I was reluctant to see this movie, because I was stupid enough to put this in the same category as the Wayans Brothers movies. Then, after I heard praise from friends I decided to check it out for myself. I was surprised.

I was laughing in hysteria! There is absolutely nothing ground breaking about this movie, but it has its high points, Especially when they go through the list of types of smokers, which provides a parade of celebrity cameos which include Janeane Garofalo, Jon Stewart, and Willie Nelson.

Usually, I tend to agree with critics, but I'm baffled to why this movie got such a bad rap. While this gets a little uneven toward the end, this is a funny movie, and it looks like there might have been some thought to put into it during the writing process.

If you're looking for 'Easy Rider', forget it. If you're looking for a fun way to waste 73 minutes, then by all means go for it!

Misunderstood satire

Author: Christian Larson (pizzaboy666@cs.com) from Ramsey, NJ
15 October 1999

Half Baked has been constantly attacked by people both on this website and off for glorifying marijuana and having a nonexistant plot. What these people don't realize is that it isn't their fault, it is simply that they aren't watching it in the proper context. Anyone who has ever seen Dave Chapelle perform or in interviews knows that although he definitely smokes the stuff, he views the pot-smoking counter-culture with a cynical and satirical eye. Each of the four main characters are portraits of certain types of smokers, as are all of the minor characters. The movie uses many different angles and tangents (hence the lack of plot) to poke fun at things such as people who think marijuana unlocks their real genius, cannibis loving rappers, and "the munchies" while at the same time saying "Hey, what's the big deal, pot isn't such a bad thing". I guess you have to know a little about the "marijuana culture" to fully appreciate it, but if you aren't don't dismiss this movie right away. It's a great satire about the pot scene, particularly in NYC, and it gives reefer conniseours a chance to laugh at themselves.

See it with a bud

Author: Jimmy Wilson from D.C.
12 October 1999

Clearly you have to be a smoker to like this movie, so the summary is not a pun. So long as you know about weed, smoke weed, and like comedys then you will like this movie. I remember trekking an hour to see this movie, and it was worth it. Now maybe it helped that I had something to do while driving, but regardless this movie has become a commonly veiwed movie at my house.

Also if you know someone cuban this movie is a great way to get him to allow you to call him Cuban Bee, and its damn funny when it happens.

Another Review

Author: Pond (subtox@mindless.com) from Connecticut, USA
2 October 1999

I loved it. This is one of the only movies I can watch over and over again without tiring. I love the cameos, especially good ol' Bob Saget as the cocaine addict (I wonder how much coaxing it took to get him to play that part). I give it a 420 out of 420 for tons of laughs and a great cast, and I'm getting this on DVD because my VHS is about to snap.

Funny.....Like Ha Ha Funny

Author: Newguy
21 September 1999

My brother made me watch this one after a night of drinking. I didn't find it too funny at first, but then again I was tired from a night out. The next day I watched it with a clear head......This is a really funny movie. The characters are the culmination of people we all know. Scarface is a total p**ser "I think i'm gonna make a run for it be"...."They killed killer yo!". I was pleasantly surprised to find Clarence Williams III as Sampson along with the Alter Ego David Chapelle as Sir Smoke A Lot. Is this movie Citizen Kane?? NO!!! is it Saving Private Ryan??? NO!!! (although one of Chapelle's next outings was opposite Tom Hanks in You've Got Mail). If high intensity drama with multi-layered characters and a gripping story is what you're looking for in this film, then you were most likely smoking a lot of pot when you rented it. Its a light hearted comedy, with some great cameos and some funny bits that amuses and makes you laugh out loud at times. I don't personally know anybody who saw it in the theater, but of those that I do know who have seen the movie, ALL of them enjoyed it. Rent it on a rainy day or for some late night laughs after a night out. If you have a sense of humor at all, its totally worthwhile.

SSB - New York City

Well worth it!

Author: lizz94 from USA
15 September 1999

Well, I for one think the movie was well worth the 73 minutes. I have seen this movie several times. The movie DOES have a plot. Kenny is in jail and they have to get him out. The movie isn't just about a bunch of guys smoking pot! Kenny goes to jail, and his friends have to sell pot (and try not to get caught) to get him out. I couldn't let the only comment on this movie be negative.

I LOVE THIS MOVIE

Author: Dasha from australia
13 September 1999

This film was not only funny but it was funny too.....? All jokes aside I really enjoyed this film and it would have to be high on my list of recomendations. I find jokes about pot very funny and I'm sure if I was watching it stoned it would be even more hilarious. I gave it a ten.