IMDb > Half Baked (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Half Baked

Half Baked More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

You don't have to be stoned to enjoy it

Author: Joey-106 from London
7 April 2000

My friend, (a known pothead), lent me this film and said it was funny, i was sceptical, a. becasue he is always stoned and once had a laughing fit at a commercial, b. because he thinks WWF wrestling is the best thing on t.v, but i watched it anyway, i'm glad i did, it was hilarious, i'd highly recommend this film to anyone, unless they are specifically looking for a good plot or if they are dead against drugs, i've read some of the comments on here and they haven't been that good, maybe you have to know someone like the people in this movie to get it. 8/10

Wasted comedy at its finest

Author: Amanda Golden (Crowbot-2) from Don't ask Don't tell
14 January 2001

This movie is hilarious. Extremely stupid, but still hilarious. And even as unbelievable as it is, there are people actually like this, heck I know several of them. The thing that makes it so funny is the fact that a bunch of funny parts in the film actually happen. So if you want to see funny realism mixed with over the top fantasy, this is your film.

Ya don't have to be a stoner to enjoy this film

Author: C G from United States
6 August 2006

Very funny movie. Of the recent 'stoner' flicks, this is probably one of the best. (Probably second in my book to Dude Where's My car?) Ejoyable, entertaining, and weird characters. Dave Chappell is hilarious as always. There are a ton of cameos by great and well known comedians throughout the piece, all paying their homage to the great herb.

I myself am not a pot smoker but laughed my rear off anyways, even if I didn't get all of the 'inside' stuff that others may refer too. Chappell is great playing several outlandish characters in the movie. The situations they get themselves into are great and even better how they get out of them.

There is ample potty humor as well as pot humor to boot. Well worth the rental fee and your time.

Not as bad as you might think...

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
3 January 1999

The trailer for this movie looked really dumb, so I didn't see it in theaters. Then I heard about Bob Saget's cameo (and what he says), and just wanting to hear Saget say that made me rent the movie. Surprisingly, it's not a bad movie. Oh, it's dumb. It's sloppy. It's *obsessed* with marijuana. But I laughed several times in the movie, and the characters are very likable. Best watched with a group of friends who don't mind drug humor.

stupified genius

Author: stu-22 from californication
26 November 2000

Only a true pothead could have thought up the script for HALF BAKED. Tamra Davis is an underrated director, with other cool movies like BEST MEN and his other retarded comedy masterpiece, BILLY MADISON. Dave Chapelle, Jim Breuer, Guillermo Diaz, and Harland Williams all give incredible, insane performances. The spoofs on other films like JERRY MCGUIRE, DEAD PRESIDENTS, SUPERMAN, as well as the old "Batman" show, are perfectly weaved in. There are numerous cameos by tons of varied people: Snoop Dogg, Jon Stewart, Janeane Garafalo, Willie Nelson, Stephen Baldwin, Clarence Williams 3, Tommy Chong, Bob Saget, and others, they're all funny in their own ways. The Guy on the Couch was the most interesting character, for mysterious reasons.

I don't even know nobody named Ol' James!

Author: tenthousandtattoos from Australia
22 November 2007

Tamra Davis is a g*damned genius, i swear. She manages to get a pumping little message across while delivering the laughs by the bucketload. And Dave Chapelle, gangly, weird but extremely funny in that unpredictable, zany way, easily delivers the funniest line when he says "Do I look like someone that would smoke...*whispers* mari-juana?" Trust me, when u see him say that line the irony is nothing short of hilarious.

The message is, quite simply, that weed's got a bad rap over the years for being a "gateway drug" and that it's not a "soft" drug or whatever, and nowhere in the film is this rammed home more than in the "Rehab" scene. No, I don't know anyone that's ever "sucked d*ck for marijuana", either...haha. This is all despite the fact that many people use weed all the time and never become junkies or "flip out" and go nuts.

This will especially strike a chord with smokers, but anyone can enjoy the zaniness of this movie, although i will say the target audience has been well catered for :) The last scene is particularly good in its appeal to smokers and non smokers. For everyone who thinks Thurgood gave up weed for good, go back and watch the end again. As he's ditchin the spliff she (the spliff) yells "You'll be baaaaack!" and does he contradict her? Nup.

It's one of those endlessly quotable movies that you can stick on whenever and enjoy.

"Will u guys shutup about weed for one second? I don't want this girl to know I smoke!" "Yeah it's bad enough you're a janitor, yo!" "Custodian!"

"Why u gotta make me feel inferior coz I'm on the grill, B?"

And a zillion other gems :) Whoops, forgot to actually include a plot summary...(*ding* Marijuana affects the memory *ding*) Roll a big fat one and enjoy!

Quite Funny!

Author: ben tawton from United Kingdom
20 June 2006

This movie is funny if you smoke weed otherwise you will find it a boring movie,Dave Chappelle is a funny comedian i've watched loads of his stand-ups on DVD but he wasn't really that funny in this film he was more of a serious stoned guy,All the other actors in this film i've never heard or seen of them,If you like silly fun films then you should see this,If you do like this film also watch Harold and Kumar go to white castle its also about stone heads but its way more funnier and it has better acting and a way better story line, Also try watching Chappelle's Stand ups they are Very Very Funny I'll give this film 8/10 because its funny in its category!!

classic stoner flick

Author: StanMakitadonuts
15 January 2007

Who hasn't seen this one....... This is definitely a classic in the stoner movie genre. There is no shortage of laughs in this one, for those who enjoy stoner humor this movie is a must see. The cast is strong, With a younger Dave Chapelle, a few new faces and a few old.

Plently of marijuana, plenty of trouble, plenty of fun. I t almost has a comic book feel to it.... like your are in a wacky fantasy world. If you haven't't seen this rent it now, and get in the zone, because this is a really really good time on the first few views. And don't forget them munchies, this is classic

a 5 joint movie! =)

Author: thefrogprince from United States
5 March 2006

Pot smokers represent! =) This film is *the* new definitive piece for the genre (yes, ladies and gentlemen, surpassing, even, Up In Smoke). =) Follow one pothead's (Dave Chappele as Thurgood Jenkins) journey from social miscreant to responsible citizen. Along the way, he learns to sacrifice for his friends, take charge of difficult situations and lead, and tap into that true American entrepreneurial spirit that lies dormant within us all! =) And all of this?… for the nobility of true love. =) (Oh ya… and did we mention that in the middle of all of this, he even finds time to support his local law enforcement officials?). =)

Hat's off to the director, Tamra Davis. You did us proud. What absolutely "makes" this movie (besides Dave Chappele as Sir Smoke-A-Lot) is the cameos. The currently best rated comment mentions: Snoop Dogg, Jon Stewart, Janeane Garafalo, Willie Nelson, Stephen Baldwin, Clarence Williams 3, Tommy Chong, Bob Saget, and *others*. This fails to mention two *others*: a special guest appearance by the ghost of Jerry Garcia =), and… Steven Wright, playing the quintessential "guy on the couch". =) This movie is sooo good, that I suppose you could even watch it sober and *still* find it entertaining. =) I give this movie a 5 out 5 joints. =)

Features the funniest cameos ever

Author: Derek237 from Canada
5 February 2005

The highlight of Half Baked is clearly the hilarious cameos, in particular the cameo by Bob Saget. It was a while since Full House went off the air, and people started to wonder, 'where's Bob?' Well, we found him, and in the unlikeliest of places, too. His all-American, wholesome, great dad image is completely torn apart in just a matter of seconds. His line, "I used to suck d**k for coke" echoes in eternity for great moments in contemporary comedy.

As for the movie itself, I thought it was awesome. Dave Chapelle, who co-wrote the script, obviously knows his subject very well. The details of the marijuana culture are rich and extremely humorous. We're shown different types of marijuana users ("I'm 40 and still cool smoker", "I can't be creative without pot smoker," "enhancement smoker," "scavenger smoker"), the different ways of buying it, and surprisingly enough, it teaches that life can be good without it. Just listen to Thurgood's wise final words at the end of the movie when he gives up weed and gets the girl:

"Now, I know what you're thinking: old Thrugood sold out, right? Well, let me tell you something. I love weed, I LOVE it. But not as much as I love p***y. The End."

Half Baked is a very good comedy which I've enjoyed over and over. It obviously won't rank up as one the greatest films of all time but it's a funny movie with memorable characters and lines. Dave Chappelle is more popular now than he was when this came out but I hope that people go back and revisit it (especially now with a new "Fully Baked Edition" DVD!). Half Baked is a gem of a comedy.

My rating: 6.5/10