IMDb > Half Baked (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Half Baked

Half Baked More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Author: oneguyrambling from Australia
8 June 2011

Half Baked joins Cop Out as another especially accurate title, even if it was not deliberate. It's like writers Dave Chappelle and Neale Brennan thought "How about we make a movie where we can give lots of our fellow comedians a job AND be able to tell stories for the next decade about how we weren't smoking prop dope onset?" The other guy nodded in the smoky haze, they financed the film based upon a script outline and then realised "sh*t we need jokes"? Here's what they came up with: Four guys live together with one common goal – to get as high as they can as often as they can using amusingly monikered smoking accessories. When one of them is imprisoned for inappropriate dealings with a horse – not that kind – the remaining trio decide to sell enough dope to cover the $100,000 required for bail before all sorts of hilarious jailsex acts can be perpetrated upon his person.

Thurgood (Chappelle) sources the superstrong weed through scientists that have genetically engineered it at the building where he is a janitor, in a couple of scenes that only happen in "look it's a dumb comedy, don't sweat the facts" films like the one I'm reviewing here.

After smoking the weed there are numerous easy near-chuckle inducing jokes and many moments designed to elicit "yeah we were dicks when we were high too" empathy. That being said if you weren't ever (or aren't now) high, it's merely a few boneheads sitting around talking sh*t, grinning inanely and doing very little. Even without the drugs I did several years of that in my 20s and while I loved it at the time I wouldn't pay to watch 90 minute snippets of it now.

The painfully unfunny Harlan Williams is Kenny the imprisoned bonehead – a plus as it limits his screen time to a few minutes and his jokes to a few allusions to looming non-consensual sex. Jim Breuer mugs every single scene that he is in, in either an amazingly accurate or at least amazingly stereotypical portrayal of a perpetually stoned moron. This leaves Guillermo Diaz to say "Yo" and call people "B" a lot while Dave Chappelle himself does and says all the things resembling comedy for the remaining hour or so.

The annoying thing is that while Chappelle was effortlessly funny – or appeared to be – for the 2 seasons of his own show he struggles mightily here. It's worth noting though that even if he doesn't make with the laff-laff too much he is already quite likable and his delivery is solid. It's just that likable is worth liking but hardly funny, and with most of the cast being unlikable and similarly unfunny, Half Baked comes across as somewhat – well – half baked.

Final Rating – 4.5 / 10. Proof that even remowned comic geniuses have to work on their craft before becoming instant successes. A couple of chuckles amid 80 mostly unfunny minutes.

(If you're a stoner this might all be hilarious, still more proof that smoking kills brain cells.)

Good, but not great stoner comedy

Author: kirk-246 from United States
18 July 2009

'Half Baked' is certainly no 'Harold and Kumer Go to White Castle' or 'Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantamano Bay', and it's definitely no 'Knocked Up', but 'Half Baked' is actually a pretty decent stoner comedy with some funny and interesting moments.Dave Chappelle also does a good job as the main character.The movie is basically about a bunch of stoners who must try to get enough money to get their friend out of jail.You're probably wondering why their friend got in jail.He killed a police officer's horse by feeding it to death.Typical stoner comedy, right? But besides from some dumb moments, 'Half Baked' is a pretty good stoner comedy that actually teaches a valuable lesson: if you see a horse and you want to feed it, don't feed it too much.Also make sure that it isn't a police officer's horse.You'll be thanking me when you don't end up in jail.

Marijuana? more like MariFUNNAH

Author: movieman_kev from United States
28 June 2005

A group of potheads (Thurgood, Scarface, and Brian) have to sell the chronic to get their friend, Kenny, out of jail when he accidentally kills a police horse while on a munchie run for the gang. Thurgood (Dave Chapelle, who also pulls double duty as Sir Smoke-a-lot) also has to hide his habit from his new pot-hating love interest. There hasn't been a comedy this fun centered around weed since the heyday of Cheech and Chong. And while this film isn't quite as funny those said movies, it's still enjoyable enough fluff, filled with many highly quotable lines, some cool cameos (including Bob Saget in his only funny thing he ever did in film or TV), and some hilarious moments.

Eye Candy: C.J. Fidler shows her fake left tit

My Grade: B+

Special Edition DVD Extras: Commentary with director Tamra Davis; two different types of main menus; 8 Deleted Scenes (not in the best shape video-wise, and the DVD case lied saying there were 10 deleted scenes); Alternate Ending (which made more sense); and 3 Featurettes (that all suck equally): Five Minutes With The Guy On The Couch,Different Types Of Smokers, and Granny's Guide To Bakin'; Trailers for "Ray", "Seed of Chucky", "Shaun of the Dead", and "Friday Night Lights"

Quite the surprise!

Author: bellini97 from New Jersey
6 August 2001

I was expecting this movie to suck, but I ended up laughing quite a bit. Dave Chappelle was funny, Jim Breuer was better than I expected, and Guillermo Diaz, a guy I never heard of until I saw this movie, had the best lines and seemed to be channeling Cheech in some scenes. Funny cameos, especially Jon Stewart. All of the scenes with the dog were hilarious! A passibly funny guilty pleasure- either **1/2 or *** out of ****.

I can think of 5 good reasons I SHOULD hate this movie

Author: (weenjive227@aol.com) from Cincinnati, Ohio
30 July 2001

But I don't hate it. This movie looked so stupid to me. when i saw the trailers for it i thought it would be one of the worst movies ever. I avoided watching this movie till just the other day. Some stupid kid told me i should rent it. and knowing that he likes bad movies i should have just said no. But he was right. it is a good movie. well maybe this movie didnt make me a better person, or give me insite into an unknown realm. and I hate movies geared towards teens, and yes this movie makes smoking pot look cool to the young people of america. knowing all that i really didnt want to like this movie, but i found it hard NOT to laugh at this movie. This movie should suck, but it doesnt.

Weed and the good trips you get from it!

Author: arjan (arjanbeemster) from Holland
4 July 2001

The movie "Half baked" is one of the movies you gotto see when you like movies as " Biodome, Bill and Ted's excellent adventure, Wayne's world, et cetera".

It's about a couple of guys that started smoking dope when they were kids. 15 years later they're still smoking and low on cash. to refill their money pouches, they decide to start there own weed transport and delivery company. And that is going to be the feeding ground of lots and lots of good jokes and situations.

A.J.

Funny funny funny

Author: magis_velim from Longmont, CO USA
19 June 2001

What can add to the comments here? The cameos were great (especially Snoop Dogg's) and Dave Chapelle is one of my favorite stand-up comedians who actually bearable to watch as an actor. The descriptions of the different kinds of smokers is classic! The ending is disappointing -- but you know the every single comedy movie released in the last 20 years wasn't -- but you what? You don't watch these kinds of movies for their dramatic unities! The stuff that happens a long the way is what's funny. One of the best parts of the movie happens where Jim Breuer is explaining the real story why their pit bull Killer is dead. Hilarious! Rent it now!

A new cult classic - whether you're straight or stoned...

Author: Lone Wolf (cbaile@msaa.com)
30 May 2001

I saw Half Baked when it first opened in the theatre... I'm a big Dave Chappelle and Jon Stewart fan, plus I enjoy the old Cheech and Chong movies. I wasn't just delighted or pleasantly surprised by this Gen X drug comedy - I was enthralled!

Half Baked is one of the funniest movies I've seen in the last 10 years. The main cast is solid and very funny, but the cameos are the best part of the movie. Not many people know that Bob Saget's stand-up routine is so filthy that it would melt their children's ears off! He gets to bring some of that to the screen as a recovering drug addict. (won't ruin the joke - it has to be heard to be believed). A far cry from that god-awful Full House! Jon Stewart is even funnier as the "enhancement" smoker... a running joke with me and my friends to this day. I'd love to go see the Daily Show and ask Jon if he ever did the show... ON WEED! Snoop Dogg, Stephen Baldwin, Willie Nelson, Janeane Garofalo (my goddess!), Tommy Chong, and Steven Wright all make appearences and are equally hillarious!

Sure... a lot of the jokes are pretty juvenile and the movie's message "I love weed, but I love pussy MORE!" isn't exactly PC, but if you're ignorant enough to rent a movie like this thinking that it won't have jokes about weed, getting laid, gay jailhouse sex, more weed, overdosing a diabetic police horse, and weed, then you deserve to lose your $3.50 and should have rented something nice and pretentious.

If you like Animal House, Cheech and Chong, and/or Dazed and Confused, give this movie a chance. I can pretty much guarantee you'll want to watch it over and over again.

Hilarious

Author: starsaturn33 from why do you wanna know?
28 May 2001

This is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. And it's not just because I love Jim Breur. I usually don't like these movies but in this case, I have to make an exception. This movie is hilarious. Especially when Thurgood is shouting, "I got some booty, I got some booty!"

See it just for Bob Saget's cameo!

Author: Matt Hewitt
28 May 2001

Half Baked is hilarious. Three stoned friends become "fund-raisers" when they decide to sell weed to get a friend out of jail. Every part of the movie will make you roll on the floor laughing, pounding your bleeding fists onto the carpet. See it just for Bob Saget's and Willie Nelson's cameos.