IMDb > Half Baked (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Half Baked

Half Baked More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

With Dave Chappelle involved, you will laugh...no matter how ludicrous the plot.

Author: dmcfry from United States
30 December 2015

In a nutshell, Half Baked tells the story of three pot-smoking friends who go to incredible lengths to get their hapless friend, Kenny, out of prison. Their solution? Sell pot, of course! You don't watch something like this expecting to see a good movie. You look at the cover of the movie, you see who's in it, you read the plot summary, and you prepare to laugh. And with Half Baked, that's just what you'll do.

This is certainly one of the most lighthearted movies about drug addiction that you'll ever see (please spare me the whole "weed is just a plant" argument). Despite it being a goofy comedy, the filmmakers do a decent job of making you care about the characters, making seeing the film through to the end an imperative. You won't see anything remarkable, but you will re-stock your supply of dumb movie quotes to throw around with your friends for years to come. I recommend a watch, with plenty of junk food to tide you over in the meantime.

The Essential Stoner Comedy

Author: gavin6942 from United States
9 November 2015

The story of three not so bright men who come up with a series of crazy schemes to get a friend out of jail.

With all due respect to Cheech and Chong, this is probably the greatest marijuana-themed comedy ever made. I am not a smoker, but I still find the antics here funny and there are just so many clever and original lines that you cannot help but love it. Dave Chappelle is the perfect leading man, and it would be great if he had stayed in show business.

You also have to love the cameos. This film more or less gave a second wind to Bob Saget's career. We get Jon Stewart before he was culturally relevant, and both Willie Nelson and Snoop Dogg, the two modern icons of marijuana culture.

Half Baked is Correct.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
28 April 2015

Half Baked (1998): Dir: Tamra Davis / Cast: Dave Chappelle, Harland Williams, Jim Breuer, Tommy Chong, Steven Wright: Short on message and big on stupidity. Title refers to a scheme conjured by characters who are under the influence of dope. Three friends sell narcotics to raise bail money for a friend. These characters exist within colourful boundaries created by their doped out minds. "Have you ever watched Scent of a Woman on weed?" asked one individual. Uninspired directing by Tamra Davis. Dave Chappelle leads the cast as he sets out to score a payoff to free his friend. Harland Williams is no different than his regular persona. He is jailed for feeding sweets to a diabetic horse. Jim Breuer delivers the worst performance overacting his stoned out persona to annoying effect. Tommy Chong is featured as a prison inmate who probably received the sentence after making Still Smokin'. He knows martial arts, which adds nothing of appeal to this stupid film. Steven Wright appears as someone who sleeps on a coach a lot and hopefully dreaming of comic acts superior to this. There are a few amusing visual moments that represent the characters within their doped out state of mind but that is about as far as the creative team went. Pointless film with little to laugh at or be entertained by. It is not funny to watch people wreck their lives on drugs, but viewers may need some sort of substance after viewing this. Score: 2 / 10

Best Movie about Marijuana since the Invention of Marijuana

Author: denis-idt from Brazil
21 May 2014

OH, MAN! I freaked out with this movie! I laughed so hard with these 2 characters: Brian (Jim Breuer) and Scarface (Guillermo Díaz). They did something great: represented the true pothead like no other movie have done so far (the only one who did was Cheech and Chong, in my opinion). I connected with Brian immediately, look like I was looking in the mirror with his hungry, his red eye, fuzzy hair, slowly movement and stuff. And Scarface... wow! I didn't look like a stoner, but his acts and speeches were perfect, too much fun. A Latin guy who acts like a rapper with his attitude. These two actor just were amazing in this film. They shinned way more than Dave Chappelle. Its the third time I watch it, but I cant get enough. DANG

Dope is For Dopes?

Author: thewillt08 from United States
20 December 2013

I really wish Dave Chappelle still did comedy and did a few more movies. The man is talented but it's fair to say he did enough. At least he left a movie left a movie like Half Baked behind. Half-Baked is about a group of guys who never grew up from their marijuana smoking days. They live together with decent jobs and smoke pot on their free time. One of the group gets arrested in one of the strangest ways possible so the other three try to deal pot to raise enough money to pay bail. Hey, what did you expect?

Despite the plot holes and silliness this is a decent comedy. Chappelle is a damn good comedian and he isn't over the top. The other two guys are extreme pot smokers and are extremely exaggerated. They are a bit annoying but they serve their purpose. Chappelle is a janitor in a science lab and the lab is doing tests of marijuana and naturally that is where Thurgood, Chappelle, gets the weed to sell. I guess you have to suspend your belief in reality. A janitor would never get away with stealing weed, but it's a movie about weed so I can let it pass.

Let's take a second to talk about how the guy got arrested. He got one million dollar bail set because he accidentally killed a police horse. The sequence was very funny. A very high man feeding and interacting with a horse. It was funny but when the horse drops dead because it's a diabetic, I lost interest. I was personally not a fan of the reason because it was way to unrealistic. A comedy can be crazy and weird but it has to be believable, to a certain point.

The scenes in prison were funny. I honestly did not expect the movie to show much time inside the prison. I expected it to resemble Doug from The Hangover where his character is completely forgotten but I'm glad he had some camera time. The standard prison stereotypes are there and it works well. The character himself was a little boring and dumb but I'm glad he was the one in prison.

The other two are a bit obnoxious but they played their roles well. Thurgood is the obvious leader and at least he is relatable. He falls for a girl who is naturally against pot smoking. It creates a secondary story and its funny to a point. Predictable, but who cares. The big star of the movie was Killer. Killer was a dog one of them bought and this dog is a beast. I fell in love with this dog. Once I saw him I was afraid of the dog being a dumb addition, but I was wrong. The dog was hysterical and it even got high. Who wouldn't enjoy a high dog?

Watching this movie high as a kite would probably be best, needless to say I did not but I should have. A movie like this is sure to have a sequence or three of them high as hell, and it did, and it was awesome. The movie opens with the four of them as kids being the first time they smoked. It was a great way to kick off the movie. High kids in a convenient store were funny, being they were 14. When they get the pot from the lab it's supposed to be the best weed ever and it sure looked like it. It made them fly. I didn't even care it was on the poorest green screen, it way hysterical.

Overall, Half-Baked a movie about stoners and it made for stoners. I loved the humor and silly antics in this movie. Sure it was hard to believe and would never ever happen in real life but this is Hollywood. Even better, this is Dave Chappelle's movie. He is one of my favorite comedians of all time and he brought his A game to this movie. Was it a good movie? Not really but it was entertaining and I've seen worse comedies. I would call this a bad movie I liked so it's a guilty pleasure. I will give it an honest Sir Laughs A lot Award and a solid WillyT Recommendation. Watch this movie high. I can't because I would not in turn produce a quality review, but you can.

stoner classic but not a good movie for the general public

Author: Raoul Duke from paranodia
29 June 2011

So I watched 1998's stoner comedy half baked starring Dave Chapelle. Well was it good......well before I answer lets go over some things. Is this considered to be a good movie, no, is this an indy movie, well technically yes, is it a classic well lets wait to answer that one. So this movie is designed to appeal to a very specific demographic, that is young mostly white stoners. In that regard this movie both ranks as a cult classic and a great movie within the genre. However, in the general sense no its garbage. However, if you are a coming of age stoner in the year 3000 and you uncover this blog in doing research for a school report on how people lived before worm holes were used for space travel, well take out your nuclear powered vaporizer and enter the holochamber and ask your computer to play this stoner madcap romp. And if you are in this century check out a bit role for a then unknown Tracy Morgan.

Good, but not great stoner comedy

Author: kirk-246 from United States
18 July 2009

'Half Baked' is certainly no 'Harold and Kumer Go to White Castle' or 'Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantamano Bay', and it's definitely no 'Knocked Up', but 'Half Baked' is actually a pretty decent stoner comedy with some funny and interesting moments.Dave Chappelle also does a good job as the main character.The movie is basically about a bunch of stoners who must try to get enough money to get their friend out of jail.You're probably wondering why their friend got in jail.He killed a police officer's horse by feeding it to death.Typical stoner comedy, right? But besides from some dumb moments, 'Half Baked' is a pretty good stoner comedy that actually teaches a valuable lesson: if you see a horse and you want to feed it, don't feed it too much.Also make sure that it isn't a police officer's horse.You'll be thanking me when you don't end up in jail.

Marijuana? more like MariFUNNAH

Author: movieman_kev from United States
28 June 2005

A group of potheads (Thurgood, Scarface, and Brian) have to sell the chronic to get their friend, Kenny, out of jail when he accidentally kills a police horse while on a munchie run for the gang. Thurgood (Dave Chapelle, who also pulls double duty as Sir Smoke-a-lot) also has to hide his habit from his new pot-hating love interest. There hasn't been a comedy this fun centered around weed since the heyday of Cheech and Chong. And while this film isn't quite as funny those said movies, it's still enjoyable enough fluff, filled with many highly quotable lines, some cool cameos (including Bob Saget in his only funny thing he ever did in film or TV), and some hilarious moments.

Eye Candy: C.J. Fidler shows her fake left tit

My Grade: B+

Special Edition DVD Extras: Commentary with director Tamra Davis; two different types of main menus; 8 Deleted Scenes (not in the best shape video-wise, and the DVD case lied saying there were 10 deleted scenes); Alternate Ending (which made more sense); and 3 Featurettes (that all suck equally): Five Minutes With The Guy On The Couch,Different Types Of Smokers, and Granny's Guide To Bakin'; Trailers for "Ray", "Seed of Chucky", "Shaun of the Dead", and "Friday Night Lights"

Quite the surprise!

Author: bellini97 from New Jersey
6 August 2001

I was expecting this movie to suck, but I ended up laughing quite a bit. Dave Chappelle was funny, Jim Breuer was better than I expected, and Guillermo Diaz, a guy I never heard of until I saw this movie, had the best lines and seemed to be channeling Cheech in some scenes. Funny cameos, especially Jon Stewart. All of the scenes with the dog were hilarious! A passibly funny guilty pleasure- either **1/2 or *** out of ****.

I can think of 5 good reasons I SHOULD hate this movie

Author: (weenjive227@aol.com) from Cincinnati, Ohio
30 July 2001

But I don't hate it. This movie looked so stupid to me. when i saw the trailers for it i thought it would be one of the worst movies ever. I avoided watching this movie till just the other day. Some stupid kid told me i should rent it. and knowing that he likes bad movies i should have just said no. But he was right. it is a good movie. well maybe this movie didnt make me a better person, or give me insite into an unknown realm. and I hate movies geared towards teens, and yes this movie makes smoking pot look cool to the young people of america. knowing all that i really didnt want to like this movie, but i found it hard NOT to laugh at this movie. This movie should suck, but it doesnt.