IMDb > Half Baked (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Half Baked

Half Baked More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

I know if you like this movie you be blazin : )

Author: Jay (sk8toker) from Pittsburg, Kansas
12 December 2001

Well, this movie is one of the best stoner-comedies ever made. I like this more than the CHeech and CHong movies, for this reason: It's modern. It's not set in the seventies, it's set in the nineties, and it follows the lives of four stoners and what happens to them when one of them gets put in jail. This film has so many memorable lines(Down by the beach....boooyyyyyyy! : ) ). You can sit around the house with your buddies and almost act out the entire movie. I give it an 8 out of ten. You will watch it again, I guarantee. Cuz Sk8Toker says so.

Jokes flying out at you! Groin-Grabbingly good comedy!

Author: Indo Bluntz (maitra@uiuc.edu) from Champaign, IL
5 November 2001

This movie is definately NOT a 5.9 rating. Half Baked is easily one of the funniest movies out there. And not because lots of stupid slap-stick humor--but rather because of witty remarks and genius acting by four hilarious comedians. Dave Chappelle is genius. Everything he says is filled with hidden wit. A great example of this would be when we first see him meeting one of the scientists. The scientist he talks to calls him "Janitor" [as opposed to his name Thurgood which is written on his badge] (something a lot of people would uncounciously say) in response Chappelle wittyly says "What is it "Scientist"?" Even the most minute interactions between the 4 comedians and the outside world is filled with wit and humor. I'm sick of all these stupid reviewers who are hung up on the fact this movie is about cannabis and can't look past that to see how hilarious it is. Every moment in this movie has some kind of joke. You don't need to smoke weed to love this movie, you need to love comedy. How can anyone not love the antics of Sir Smoke-A-Lot? "BITCH! YOU know what I want!" ; "(Lawyer)He had sex with my Mamma! Why?" ; "Doctor said I need a Back-i-atomy." ; "God, If you're listening... HELP!" ; "I'm Impotent Man! Get away from me Biotch!" If this acting did not make you laugh you should get your head examined.

Hilarious!

Author: sarcasm101 from Colo.
8 August 2001

This movie is just downright hilarious. It's about three potheads that have to bail their 4th friend Kenny (Harland Williams) out of jail because he killed a diabetic police horse. Along the way, Thurgood (Dave Chappelle) meets this girl he really likes but she is totally against pot. Jim Breuer, Guillermo Diaz, Harland Williams, and Dave Chappelle are really great at playing stoners. Jim Breuer is totally funny in this movie. I recommended this movie to anyone with a good sense of humor, it will keep you laughing forever! After all, it is the ultimate feel-good movie.

Best Movie about Marijuana since the Invention of Marijuana

Author: denis-idt from Brazil
21 May 2014

OH, MAN! I freaked out with this movie! I laughed so hard with these 2 characters: Brian (Jim Breuer) and Scarface (Guillermo Díaz). They did something great: represented the true pothead like no other movie have done so far (the only one who did was Cheech and Chong, in my opinion). I connected with Brian immediately, look like I was looking in the mirror with his hungry, his red eye, fuzzy hair, slowly movement and stuff. And Scarface... wow! I didn't look like a stoner, but his acts and speeches were perfect, too much fun. A Latin guy who acts like a rapper with his attitude. These two actor just were amazing in this film. They shinned way more than Dave Chappelle. Its the third time I watch it, but I cant get enough. DANG

Dope is For Dopes?

Author: thewillt08 from United States
20 December 2013

I really wish Dave Chappelle still did comedy and did a few more movies. The man is talented but it's fair to say he did enough. At least he left a movie left a movie like Half Baked behind. Half-Baked is about a group of guys who never grew up from their marijuana smoking days. They live together with decent jobs and smoke pot on their free time. One of the group gets arrested in one of the strangest ways possible so the other three try to deal pot to raise enough money to pay bail. Hey, what did you expect?

Despite the plot holes and silliness this is a decent comedy. Chappelle is a damn good comedian and he isn't over the top. The other two guys are extreme pot smokers and are extremely exaggerated. They are a bit annoying but they serve their purpose. Chappelle is a janitor in a science lab and the lab is doing tests of marijuana and naturally that is where Thurgood, Chappelle, gets the weed to sell. I guess you have to suspend your belief in reality. A janitor would never get away with stealing weed, but it's a movie about weed so I can let it pass.

Let's take a second to talk about how the guy got arrested. He got one million dollar bail set because he accidentally killed a police horse. The sequence was very funny. A very high man feeding and interacting with a horse. It was funny but when the horse drops dead because it's a diabetic, I lost interest. I was personally not a fan of the reason because it was way to unrealistic. A comedy can be crazy and weird but it has to be believable, to a certain point.

The scenes in prison were funny. I honestly did not expect the movie to show much time inside the prison. I expected it to resemble Doug from The Hangover where his character is completely forgotten but I'm glad he had some camera time. The standard prison stereotypes are there and it works well. The character himself was a little boring and dumb but I'm glad he was the one in prison.

The other two are a bit obnoxious but they played their roles well. Thurgood is the obvious leader and at least he is relatable. He falls for a girl who is naturally against pot smoking. It creates a secondary story and its funny to a point. Predictable, but who cares. The big star of the movie was Killer. Killer was a dog one of them bought and this dog is a beast. I fell in love with this dog. Once I saw him I was afraid of the dog being a dumb addition, but I was wrong. The dog was hysterical and it even got high. Who wouldn't enjoy a high dog?

Watching this movie high as a kite would probably be best, needless to say I did not but I should have. A movie like this is sure to have a sequence or three of them high as hell, and it did, and it was awesome. The movie opens with the four of them as kids being the first time they smoked. It was a great way to kick off the movie. High kids in a convenient store were funny, being they were 14. When they get the pot from the lab it's supposed to be the best weed ever and it sure looked like it. It made them fly. I didn't even care it was on the poorest green screen, it way hysterical.

Overall, Half-Baked a movie about stoners and it made for stoners. I loved the humor and silly antics in this movie. Sure it was hard to believe and would never ever happen in real life but this is Hollywood. Even better, this is Dave Chappelle's movie. He is one of my favorite comedians of all time and he brought his A game to this movie. Was it a good movie? Not really but it was entertaining and I've seen worse comedies. I would call this a bad movie I liked so it's a guilty pleasure. I will give it an honest Sir Laughs A lot Award and a solid WillyT Recommendation. Watch this movie high. I can't because I would not in turn produce a quality review, but you can.

stoner classic but not a good movie for the general public

Author: Raoul Duke from paranodia
29 June 2011

So I watched 1998's stoner comedy half baked starring Dave Chapelle. Well was it good......well before I answer lets go over some things. Is this considered to be a good movie, no, is this an indy movie, well technically yes, is it a classic well lets wait to answer that one. So this movie is designed to appeal to a very specific demographic, that is young mostly white stoners. In that regard this movie both ranks as a cult classic and a great movie within the genre. However, in the general sense no its garbage. However, if you are a coming of age stoner in the year 3000 and you uncover this blog in doing research for a school report on how people lived before worm holes were used for space travel, well take out your nuclear powered vaporizer and enter the holochamber and ask your computer to play this stoner madcap romp. And if you are in this century check out a bit role for a then unknown Tracy Morgan.

Author: oneguyrambling from Australia
8 June 2011

Half Baked joins Cop Out as another especially accurate title, even if it was not deliberate. It's like writers Dave Chappelle and Neale Brennan thought "How about we make a movie where we can give lots of our fellow comedians a job AND be able to tell stories for the next decade about how we weren't smoking prop dope onset?" The other guy nodded in the smoky haze, they financed the film based upon a script outline and then realised "sh*t we need jokes"? Here's what they came up with: Four guys live together with one common goal – to get as high as they can as often as they can using amusingly monikered smoking accessories. When one of them is imprisoned for inappropriate dealings with a horse – not that kind – the remaining trio decide to sell enough dope to cover the $100,000 required for bail before all sorts of hilarious jailsex acts can be perpetrated upon his person.

Thurgood (Chappelle) sources the superstrong weed through scientists that have genetically engineered it at the building where he is a janitor, in a couple of scenes that only happen in "look it's a dumb comedy, don't sweat the facts" films like the one I'm reviewing here.

After smoking the weed there are numerous easy near-chuckle inducing jokes and many moments designed to elicit "yeah we were dicks when we were high too" empathy. That being said if you weren't ever (or aren't now) high, it's merely a few boneheads sitting around talking sh*t, grinning inanely and doing very little. Even without the drugs I did several years of that in my 20s and while I loved it at the time I wouldn't pay to watch 90 minute snippets of it now.

The painfully unfunny Harlan Williams is Kenny the imprisoned bonehead – a plus as it limits his screen time to a few minutes and his jokes to a few allusions to looming non-consensual sex. Jim Breuer mugs every single scene that he is in, in either an amazingly accurate or at least amazingly stereotypical portrayal of a perpetually stoned moron. This leaves Guillermo Diaz to say "Yo" and call people "B" a lot while Dave Chappelle himself does and says all the things resembling comedy for the remaining hour or so.

The annoying thing is that while Chappelle was effortlessly funny – or appeared to be – for the 2 seasons of his own show he struggles mightily here. It's worth noting though that even if he doesn't make with the laff-laff too much he is already quite likable and his delivery is solid. It's just that likable is worth liking but hardly funny, and with most of the cast being unlikable and similarly unfunny, Half Baked comes across as somewhat – well – half baked.

Final Rating – 4.5 / 10. Proof that even remowned comic geniuses have to work on their craft before becoming instant successes. A couple of chuckles amid 80 mostly unfunny minutes.

(If you're a stoner this might all be hilarious, still more proof that smoking kills brain cells.)

Good, but not great stoner comedy

Author: kirk-246 from United States
18 July 2009

'Half Baked' is certainly no 'Harold and Kumer Go to White Castle' or 'Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantamano Bay', and it's definitely no 'Knocked Up', but 'Half Baked' is actually a pretty decent stoner comedy with some funny and interesting moments.Dave Chappelle also does a good job as the main character.The movie is basically about a bunch of stoners who must try to get enough money to get their friend out of jail.You're probably wondering why their friend got in jail.He killed a police officer's horse by feeding it to death.Typical stoner comedy, right? But besides from some dumb moments, 'Half Baked' is a pretty good stoner comedy that actually teaches a valuable lesson: if you see a horse and you want to feed it, don't feed it too much.Also make sure that it isn't a police officer's horse.You'll be thanking me when you don't end up in jail.

Quite the surprise!

Author: bellini97 from New Jersey
6 August 2001

I was expecting this movie to suck, but I ended up laughing quite a bit. Dave Chappelle was funny, Jim Breuer was better than I expected, and Guillermo Diaz, a guy I never heard of until I saw this movie, had the best lines and seemed to be channeling Cheech in some scenes. Funny cameos, especially Jon Stewart. All of the scenes with the dog were hilarious! A passibly funny guilty pleasure- either **1/2 or *** out of ****.

I can think of 5 good reasons I SHOULD hate this movie

Author: (weenjive227@aol.com) from Cincinnati, Ohio
30 July 2001

But I don't hate it. This movie looked so stupid to me. when i saw the trailers for it i thought it would be one of the worst movies ever. I avoided watching this movie till just the other day. Some stupid kid told me i should rent it. and knowing that he likes bad movies i should have just said no. But he was right. it is a good movie. well maybe this movie didnt make me a better person, or give me insite into an unknown realm. and I hate movies geared towards teens, and yes this movie makes smoking pot look cool to the young people of america. knowing all that i really didnt want to like this movie, but i found it hard NOT to laugh at this movie. This movie should suck, but it doesnt.