IMDb > Half Baked (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Half Baked

Half Baked More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

"Stoner" Comedies Get No Better Than This!!!

Author: MovieMarauder (BuddyRey@gmail.com) from North Carolina
19 December 2001

WARNING: Spoilers and/or politcal philosophy ahead. I'm really surprised so many people hate this movie for it's pro-marijuana battle cry. First of all, don't knock the stuff 'til you've tried it, Skeezicks! Anyway, this movie is probably the best weed comedy since "Up In Smoke" twenty years previous. Jim Bruer and Dave Chappelle are heroes of their medium, Harland Williams is outrageously funny, and the political and sociological statements this film makes are more than enough reason to watch it. But besides that, it's so darn hilarious!!! I loved this movie before I could even relate to it. Now at seventeen, three years older, and three years wiser, I actually understand these guys, and I empathize with them. They're disenfranchised stoners who resort to the risky business of marijuana distribution for the noble and altruistic cause of getting their friend freed from prison (with very funny results!) This is in no way a "drug" comedy. The characters don't do crank or heroin or anything, just pot. So the D.A.R.E. campaign has nothing to complain about. This is just a funny little film about the peaks and perils of being a pothead. I felt that the ending was a cop-out, and any true weed advocate would have never arrived to the same decision as did the main character, but if you ignore this, the plot is solid, and the acting is brilliant! 10/10

I know if you like this movie you be blazin : )

Author: Jay (sk8toker) from Pittsburg, Kansas
12 December 2001

Well, this movie is one of the best stoner-comedies ever made. I like this more than the CHeech and CHong movies, for this reason: It's modern. It's not set in the seventies, it's set in the nineties, and it follows the lives of four stoners and what happens to them when one of them gets put in jail. This film has so many memorable lines(Down by the beach....boooyyyyyyy! : ) ). You can sit around the house with your buddies and almost act out the entire movie. I give it an 8 out of ten. You will watch it again, I guarantee. Cuz Sk8Toker says so.

Jokes flying out at you! Groin-Grabbingly good comedy!

Author: Indo Bluntz (maitra@uiuc.edu) from Champaign, IL
5 November 2001

This movie is definately NOT a 5.9 rating. Half Baked is easily one of the funniest movies out there. And not because lots of stupid slap-stick humor--but rather because of witty remarks and genius acting by four hilarious comedians. Dave Chappelle is genius. Everything he says is filled with hidden wit. A great example of this would be when we first see him meeting one of the scientists. The scientist he talks to calls him "Janitor" [as opposed to his name Thurgood which is written on his badge] (something a lot of people would uncounciously say) in response Chappelle wittyly says "What is it "Scientist"?" Even the most minute interactions between the 4 comedians and the outside world is filled with wit and humor. I'm sick of all these stupid reviewers who are hung up on the fact this movie is about cannabis and can't look past that to see how hilarious it is. Every moment in this movie has some kind of joke. You don't need to smoke weed to love this movie, you need to love comedy. How can anyone not love the antics of Sir Smoke-A-Lot? "BITCH! YOU know what I want!" ; "(Lawyer)He had sex with my Mamma! Why?" ; "Doctor said I need a Back-i-atomy." ; "God, If you're listening... HELP!" ; "I'm Impotent Man! Get away from me Biotch!" If this acting did not make you laugh you should get your head examined.

Hilarious!

Author: sarcasm101 from Colo.
8 August 2001

This movie is just downright hilarious. It's about three potheads that have to bail their 4th friend Kenny (Harland Williams) out of jail because he killed a diabetic police horse. Along the way, Thurgood (Dave Chappelle) meets this girl he really likes but she is totally against pot. Jim Breuer, Guillermo Diaz, Harland Williams, and Dave Chappelle are really great at playing stoners. Jim Breuer is totally funny in this movie. I recommended this movie to anyone with a good sense of humor, it will keep you laughing forever! After all, it is the ultimate feel-good movie.

With Dave Chappelle involved, you will laugh...no matter how ludicrous the plot.

Author: dmcfry from United States
30 December 2015

In a nutshell, Half Baked tells the story of three pot-smoking friends who go to incredible lengths to get their hapless friend, Kenny, out of prison. Their solution? Sell pot, of course! You don't watch something like this expecting to see a good movie. You look at the cover of the movie, you see who's in it, you read the plot summary, and you prepare to laugh. And with Half Baked, that's just what you'll do.

This is certainly one of the most lighthearted movies about drug addiction that you'll ever see (please spare me the whole "weed is just a plant" argument). Despite it being a goofy comedy, the filmmakers do a decent job of making you care about the characters, making seeing the film through to the end an imperative. You won't see anything remarkable, but you will re-stock your supply of dumb movie quotes to throw around with your friends for years to come. I recommend a watch, with plenty of junk food to tide you over in the meantime.

The Essential Stoner Comedy

Author: gavin6942 from United States
9 November 2015

The story of three not so bright men who come up with a series of crazy schemes to get a friend out of jail.

With all due respect to Cheech and Chong, this is probably the greatest marijuana-themed comedy ever made. I am not a smoker, but I still find the antics here funny and there are just so many clever and original lines that you cannot help but love it. Dave Chappelle is the perfect leading man, and it would be great if he had stayed in show business.

You also have to love the cameos. This film more or less gave a second wind to Bob Saget's career. We get Jon Stewart before he was culturally relevant, and both Willie Nelson and Snoop Dogg, the two modern icons of marijuana culture.

Half Baked is Correct.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
28 April 2015

Half Baked (1998): Dir: Tamra Davis / Cast: Dave Chappelle, Harland Williams, Jim Breuer, Tommy Chong, Steven Wright: Short on message and big on stupidity. Title refers to a scheme conjured by characters who are under the influence of dope. Three friends sell narcotics to raise bail money for a friend. These characters exist within colourful boundaries created by their doped out minds. "Have you ever watched Scent of a Woman on weed?" asked one individual. Uninspired directing by Tamra Davis. Dave Chappelle leads the cast as he sets out to score a payoff to free his friend. Harland Williams is no different than his regular persona. He is jailed for feeding sweets to a diabetic horse. Jim Breuer delivers the worst performance overacting his stoned out persona to annoying effect. Tommy Chong is featured as a prison inmate who probably received the sentence after making Still Smokin'. He knows martial arts, which adds nothing of appeal to this stupid film. Steven Wright appears as someone who sleeps on a coach a lot and hopefully dreaming of comic acts superior to this. There are a few amusing visual moments that represent the characters within their doped out state of mind but that is about as far as the creative team went. Pointless film with little to laugh at or be entertained by. It is not funny to watch people wreck their lives on drugs, but viewers may need some sort of substance after viewing this. Score: 2 / 10

Best Movie about Marijuana since the Invention of Marijuana

Author: denis-idt from Brazil
21 May 2014

OH, MAN! I freaked out with this movie! I laughed so hard with these 2 characters: Brian (Jim Breuer) and Scarface (Guillermo Díaz). They did something great: represented the true pothead like no other movie have done so far (the only one who did was Cheech and Chong, in my opinion). I connected with Brian immediately, look like I was looking in the mirror with his hungry, his red eye, fuzzy hair, slowly movement and stuff. And Scarface... wow! I didn't look like a stoner, but his acts and speeches were perfect, too much fun. A Latin guy who acts like a rapper with his attitude. These two actor just were amazing in this film. They shinned way more than Dave Chappelle. Its the third time I watch it, but I cant get enough. DANG

Dope is For Dopes?

Author: thewillt08 from United States
20 December 2013

I really wish Dave Chappelle still did comedy and did a few more movies. The man is talented but it's fair to say he did enough. At least he left a movie left a movie like Half Baked behind. Half-Baked is about a group of guys who never grew up from their marijuana smoking days. They live together with decent jobs and smoke pot on their free time. One of the group gets arrested in one of the strangest ways possible so the other three try to deal pot to raise enough money to pay bail. Hey, what did you expect?

Despite the plot holes and silliness this is a decent comedy. Chappelle is a damn good comedian and he isn't over the top. The other two guys are extreme pot smokers and are extremely exaggerated. They are a bit annoying but they serve their purpose. Chappelle is a janitor in a science lab and the lab is doing tests of marijuana and naturally that is where Thurgood, Chappelle, gets the weed to sell. I guess you have to suspend your belief in reality. A janitor would never get away with stealing weed, but it's a movie about weed so I can let it pass.

Let's take a second to talk about how the guy got arrested. He got one million dollar bail set because he accidentally killed a police horse. The sequence was very funny. A very high man feeding and interacting with a horse. It was funny but when the horse drops dead because it's a diabetic, I lost interest. I was personally not a fan of the reason because it was way to unrealistic. A comedy can be crazy and weird but it has to be believable, to a certain point.

The scenes in prison were funny. I honestly did not expect the movie to show much time inside the prison. I expected it to resemble Doug from The Hangover where his character is completely forgotten but I'm glad he had some camera time. The standard prison stereotypes are there and it works well. The character himself was a little boring and dumb but I'm glad he was the one in prison.

The other two are a bit obnoxious but they played their roles well. Thurgood is the obvious leader and at least he is relatable. He falls for a girl who is naturally against pot smoking. It creates a secondary story and its funny to a point. Predictable, but who cares. The big star of the movie was Killer. Killer was a dog one of them bought and this dog is a beast. I fell in love with this dog. Once I saw him I was afraid of the dog being a dumb addition, but I was wrong. The dog was hysterical and it even got high. Who wouldn't enjoy a high dog?

Watching this movie high as a kite would probably be best, needless to say I did not but I should have. A movie like this is sure to have a sequence or three of them high as hell, and it did, and it was awesome. The movie opens with the four of them as kids being the first time they smoked. It was a great way to kick off the movie. High kids in a convenient store were funny, being they were 14. When they get the pot from the lab it's supposed to be the best weed ever and it sure looked like it. It made them fly. I didn't even care it was on the poorest green screen, it way hysterical.

Overall, Half-Baked a movie about stoners and it made for stoners. I loved the humor and silly antics in this movie. Sure it was hard to believe and would never ever happen in real life but this is Hollywood. Even better, this is Dave Chappelle's movie. He is one of my favorite comedians of all time and he brought his A game to this movie. Was it a good movie? Not really but it was entertaining and I've seen worse comedies. I would call this a bad movie I liked so it's a guilty pleasure. I will give it an honest Sir Laughs A lot Award and a solid WillyT Recommendation. Watch this movie high. I can't because I would not in turn produce a quality review, but you can.

stoner classic but not a good movie for the general public

Author: Raoul Duke from paranodia
29 June 2011

So I watched 1998's stoner comedy half baked starring Dave Chapelle. Well was it good......well before I answer lets go over some things. Is this considered to be a good movie, no, is this an indy movie, well technically yes, is it a classic well lets wait to answer that one. So this movie is designed to appeal to a very specific demographic, that is young mostly white stoners. In that regard this movie both ranks as a cult classic and a great movie within the genre. However, in the general sense no its garbage. However, if you are a coming of age stoner in the year 3000 and you uncover this blog in doing research for a school report on how people lived before worm holes were used for space travel, well take out your nuclear powered vaporizer and enter the holochamber and ask your computer to play this stoner madcap romp. And if you are in this century check out a bit role for a then unknown Tracy Morgan.