IMDb > Half Baked (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Half Baked

Half Baked More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 17: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Not just a "stoner movie"

Author: richdvk from UK
26 March 2003

Never have 4 characters been so well cast in any comedy movie. As contradictive as it sounds, Thurgood, Scarface, Brian and Kenny are some of the least-believable yet believable characters I have seen.

The only reason this movie isn't down as a classic is because a lot of people have a lot of hangups when it comes to the evil green stuff or anything or anyone who mentions it. In actual fact if these people were paying attention it neither promotes nor discourages weed smoking. If you believe pot can be that enticing to people (in this case, 4 losers)you are mistaken and missing the point of the movie.. it's just a comedy and a far, far fetched story. Lighten up!

Hilarity from beginning to end, cool music, excellent/colourful photography, not a second of boredom from beginning to end.

Dave Chappelle is more hilarious than ever!

Author: Gorilla Punk from Honolulu, Hawaii
23 March 2003

I'm surprised Dave Chappelle doesn't get more work. His new show is funny, funny, funny, and this movie is funny to the tenth power.

Dave's character, Thurgood, starts off as a loser stoner character who works as a custodian for a major medical lab. But when his friend Kenny winds up in jail, Thurgood comes up with a plan to steal medicinal marijuana at the lab and sell it to raise bail money. Thurgood's a genius!

I do not smoke marijuana. Still, this movie proves that stoners can still be Einsteins. Not only did Thurgood come up with his "fundraising" plan, but he also came up with an unforgettable trick for what to do when you've got a date, but you're broke. I will never forget Thurgood's cleverness.

Dave Chappelle & Jim Breuer are too damn funny

Author: rightwing_guerrilla
7 January 2003

First, hats off to a very funny comedian for directing this funny s#&%, Bob Saget. Genius. Dave Chappelle, Harland Williams, & Jim Breuer are so freaking funny I just couldn't stop laughing. It makes me want to be a guy on the couch. Subtle drug references in this movie so BEWARE.

How I felt...

Author: FlagshipX from Houston
15 December 2002

I am know movie critic nor do I want to be cause they suck.... I will tell you what I thought of this movie...

For one this movie, no doubt earned a place in my DVD collection...

It's like the funniest movie ever. It keeps going. There is no time in this movie where I am bored. No point where I want to take a break from watching it. I never even done weed and I advise you don't. But this movie has some many funny characters that stand out. There are a ton of cameos that stand out as well. Jim Breuer grew annoying to me. He was ok but he seemed retarded instead of high. Qutie annoying. Everyone else turned in excellent performances. If you are looking to laugh I think this movie is the one for you.

It's about 4 friends. One goes to jail for killin a diabetic cop. The other three break into the weed game to get him out of jail. Everything is fine until the established drug dealer wants a cut of money they don't have.

Oh... Sir-Smoke-Alot needs a spin off movie... :-)

Truly a classic.

Author: MotorsportMonkey from Washington DC
27 August 2002

That hoser guy doesn't know what he's talking about. First of all, There ARE places where bodegas exist and there are weed delivery services.. like uh.. NEW YORK. and my hometown DC!

Second of all, stoner movies are NEVER supposed to win any plot awards. Its just stupid comedy. Something to get high to and laugh your ass off. You honestly think Cheech and Chong movies had any good plots? I really wish people would stop over analyzing stoner movies and just get high and enjoy them. What I'm upset about is that I haven't heard any word of a sequel, like "Fully Baked" or something. There definitely should be. This movie.. totally a classic stoner movie!!

Seriously one of the Funniest Movies You'll Ever See

Author: snafu801 from New Hampshire
2 July 2002

This is by far one of the funniest movies you will ever see...that is if your a burnt out stoner who can relate to the motivationless potheads in this movie. Thankfully I can and that is why I love this movie so so much. I bought this movie previously viewed for 3 dollars and that was by far the best 3 dollars I've ever spent in my entire life. I have watched this movie about 10 times since I bought it and that was only about a month ago. It is really that funny. It has so many hilarious lines. I laugh and laugh when I hear Jon Stewart describing the back of a twenty dollar bill on weed..."Theres a guy in the bushes, does he have a gun..I dont know? Whats that? Red team go, Red team go!" Its fu**ing hilarious. Youll know what I mean once you see this movie. And No you dont have to be a stoner to love this movie it makes me laugh and I am far from one. So please take my advice and rent this movie.

One of the best comedies I've ever seen!

Author: Steve from Weert, Netherlands
18 March 2002

The only negative part of this movie, is that it ends. I don't care who or what you are, if you can't enjoy something like this, there must be something wrong with you! It's no Oscar-material, just plain excellent entertainment that keeps you laughing on and on and on and...

"Stoner" Comedies Get No Better Than This!!!

Author: MovieMarauder (BuddyRey@gmail.com) from North Carolina
19 December 2001

WARNING: Spoilers and/or politcal philosophy ahead. I'm really surprised so many people hate this movie for it's pro-marijuana battle cry. First of all, don't knock the stuff 'til you've tried it, Skeezicks! Anyway, this movie is probably the best weed comedy since "Up In Smoke" twenty years previous. Jim Bruer and Dave Chappelle are heroes of their medium, Harland Williams is outrageously funny, and the political and sociological statements this film makes are more than enough reason to watch it. But besides that, it's so darn hilarious!!! I loved this movie before I could even relate to it. Now at seventeen, three years older, and three years wiser, I actually understand these guys, and I empathize with them. They're disenfranchised stoners who resort to the risky business of marijuana distribution for the noble and altruistic cause of getting their friend freed from prison (with very funny results!) This is in no way a "drug" comedy. The characters don't do crank or heroin or anything, just pot. So the D.A.R.E. campaign has nothing to complain about. This is just a funny little film about the peaks and perils of being a pothead. I felt that the ending was a cop-out, and any true weed advocate would have never arrived to the same decision as did the main character, but if you ignore this, the plot is solid, and the acting is brilliant! 10/10

I know if you like this movie you be blazin : )

Author: Jay (sk8toker) from Pittsburg, Kansas
12 December 2001

Well, this movie is one of the best stoner-comedies ever made. I like this more than the CHeech and CHong movies, for this reason: It's modern. It's not set in the seventies, it's set in the nineties, and it follows the lives of four stoners and what happens to them when one of them gets put in jail. This film has so many memorable lines(Down by the beach....boooyyyyyyy! : ) ). You can sit around the house with your buddies and almost act out the entire movie. I give it an 8 out of ten. You will watch it again, I guarantee. Cuz Sk8Toker says so.

Jokes flying out at you! Groin-Grabbingly good comedy!

Author: Indo Bluntz (maitra@uiuc.edu) from Champaign, IL
5 November 2001

This movie is definately NOT a 5.9 rating. Half Baked is easily one of the funniest movies out there. And not because lots of stupid slap-stick humor--but rather because of witty remarks and genius acting by four hilarious comedians. Dave Chappelle is genius. Everything he says is filled with hidden wit. A great example of this would be when we first see him meeting one of the scientists. The scientist he talks to calls him "Janitor" [as opposed to his name Thurgood which is written on his badge] (something a lot of people would uncounciously say) in response Chappelle wittyly says "What is it "Scientist"?" Even the most minute interactions between the 4 comedians and the outside world is filled with wit and humor. I'm sick of all these stupid reviewers who are hung up on the fact this movie is about cannabis and can't look past that to see how hilarious it is. Every moment in this movie has some kind of joke. You don't need to smoke weed to love this movie, you need to love comedy. How can anyone not love the antics of Sir Smoke-A-Lot? "BITCH! YOU know what I want!" ; "(Lawyer)He had sex with my Mamma! Why?" ; "Doctor said I need a Back-i-atomy." ; "God, If you're listening... HELP!" ; "I'm Impotent Man! Get away from me Biotch!" If this acting did not make you laugh you should get your head examined.