IMDb > Half Baked (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

One of the funniest 90s movies

Author: sideburnmikeguitar from United States
24 July 2009

This is a movie about a group of friends whose lives revolve around smoking marijuana. One of the friends ends up in jail and they have to raise money to try to get him out. I don't remember if it's for a fine or for bail or court costs--It's been a year or two since I've seen it--and the guys end up dealing pot to make it happen.

The main thing I do remember is that every time I see it on TV or at a friend's house, I always end up watching it all the way through and laughing like mad. There are never any dull moments with comedians like Dave Chappelle and Jim Breuer, two of funniest guys from the 90s. Harlan Williams also has a great but minor roll.

I remember seeing this when i was about 18 and still being somewhat naive I was able to appreciate the whole thing. Years later it's still funny. To this day I've never smoked anything and that didn't effect my appreciation of this movie whatsoever. The jokes aren't all the same old people acting silly because they're high. The marijuana related humor is still funny for most people because the characters remind you of people you probably know and their idiosyncrasies.

It's not a serious movie by any means, and obviously not for little kids. Still, I've watched this with my Dad and even he was cracking up. It's just good, juvenile fun.

A Great Comedy!

Author: predator_silver77 from United States
16 December 2008

The Plot: Loaded with some of today's hottest young comedy stars, Half-Baked is the hilarious adventure of three lovable party buds trying to find cash to bail their friend out of jail. But just when the guys have mastered a plan, everything comes dangerously close to going up in smoke! with numerous cameo appearances.

My Spiel: Half-baked is a movie I remember back in the day and still watch to this day. A truly funny, funny movie, with Dave Chappelle as the main sure he brings his hilarious attributes to this movie. Granted this movie should not be taken serious in the lest. This movie is miles ahead of a lot of the stupid crap that has been coming to movies recently; for example all the movie parodies. This movie has a complete comedy edge to it with laughable characters and something you can get behind. Easily one of my top 10 favorite comedies of all time! Half-Baked (1998) Review: 8/10

Good Stuff

Author: jts0405 from United States
31 October 2008

If you love watching movies with a high count of drug use with a very stupid plot then this is for all of those people including myself. I found this movie to be a really hilarious stoner comedy starring the very hilarious Dave Chapelle. I desired to rent this awhile ago because I do enjoy the Cheech and Chong movies a lot personally. So I figured that this would be an interesting stoner flick just like all of those before. If you notice Tommy Chong does make a cameo in this movie and he had me dying laughing. So if you are into the drug movies that seem hilarious for the little and less important things. Check this out now because it is the right thing for a person that enjoys stoner flicks.

Witty and silly -- a joy to behold

Author: bungfrombeyond from United States
16 November 2007

I first watched this movie before i had ever even seen marijuana in person, and instantly this movie had become one of my favorites. Chappelle's comedic delivery is impeccable and really drives the spirit of the movie from start to finish. Years from now, people will see his impact on comedy as revolutionary, as many already have.

The rest of the cast is filled with little-known actors (e.g., the "Scarface" character) to the iconic (e.g. Willie Nelson) and everybody contributes to the comedy in a unique way. Brian (played by Jim Breuer) serves as the stereotypical burnt-out stoner and does the job well. Scarface serves as an excellent foil to Bruer due to his extremely hyper nature, in spite of his marijuana use.

The movie itself filled with absurdity anchored in truth and this complimentary relationship is what makes the movie so fulfilling. Yes, the movie involves marijuana but being acquainted with it is not necessary to appreciate the antics of the characters. Though the drivers of the plot are really the protagonists, there are elements of romance, action, and suspense as the crew makes their way in the drug scene in order to rescue their friend from an undeservedly cruel fate.

Obviously, the most recurring theme of the film, namely marijuana, makes this appealing to those who either indulge or know about the topic; however, familiarity is hardly a requirement to appreciate the humor or characters. The movie speaks for itself and is one of my favorite movies ever.

This Movie Is Da Bomb

Author: shannasman9 from United States
8 October 2007

I saw this movie when it was on Comedy Central and thought it was the best movie of the 90's. I loved watching Dave Chappelle's role as Thurgood Jenkins and compared to when he did the comedian on The Nutty Professor in 1996. I was surprised to see Willie Nelson and Bob Saget and Snoop Dogg and Jon Stewart in this movie. Also I was curious about that guy on the couch. What was his name if he did have one? I think Tamra Davis did a wonderful job directing and writing the script. So if anyone hasn't seen this movie yet, I'd highly recommend it to those of you curious about it. Go out and buy it. Enjoy and thank you very much. I would again recommend this movie to any and everyone who hasn't seen it.

Good to watch B++

Author: souths-1 from United States
2 May 2006

I'm gonna make this short and sweet like skunk.

PRO's- really funny, has interesting characters, a movie about best buds, colorful, has dave chapelle, nice story, and makes you feel good.

CON's- um... hm... what we're we talking about? OK. This movie is really funny. The first time i saw this movie i was laughing really hard and not under the influence.

If you never saw this movie and need a good laugh.

This is it.

Get the DVD or rent it if you're not sure or borrow it from your friend or bother your neighbor whom you don't really know well enough to borrow sugar let alone a DVD.

Are you a POTHEAD?

Author: James Martin ( from United States
5 March 2006

This movie shows just what REAL potheads are about, work sorta lowlife jobs and stay high all the time and just non violent activity, what other addicts would say is the "gateway" drug, this movie proves it's just a drug of choice... The lines in this movie can even make those who are not on drugs laugh, and even though it's full of goofy offbeat humor, it wants to make ya watch it over again.. it's a hip-hop right-on comedy... Anyone watching this movie will either roll on the floor laughing or cry out loud laughing..... So kick back with Mary Jane, Billy Bongs, and Wesley Pipes and LOADS of Munchies and enjoy a movie that proves Mary Jane is the girl to have.. and who don't agree with the last line of the movie...

True cult pot movie, right up there with Cheech&Chong!

Author: em from Canada
12 December 2005

man, this movie is absolutely HILARIOUS! to all you little pot smokers out there, this is a MUST SEE. the humor is right on target of someone completely high, there's a plot line thats interesting enough to not fall asleep to, not so complicated so that you get lost in it and forget what its about, and you know you'll enjoy it even if you're really stoned, its even entertaining to those who don't smoke. and if you're not stoned when you see this movie, you'll still feel as if you are. this movie is definitely one of the cult marijuana movies, right up there with Cheech&Chong and Dazed&Confuzed. seriously, you don't want to miss it, i laughed myself silly while watching this! hint: if you're stoned when you watch it, don't forget to buy lots of food, you'll get mad munchies!!!

Author: drevenflow from West LA, CA
12 January 2004

"Abba Zabba, you're my only friend." This movie started off strong and finished even better. Its about friendship, love and weed. The guest appearances are great and the story is tight. Also, Rachel True is delicious as always! Two huge thumbs up.

Not just a "stoner movie"

Author: richdvk from UK
26 March 2003

Never have 4 characters been so well cast in any comedy movie. As contradictive as it sounds, Thurgood, Scarface, Brian and Kenny are some of the least-believable yet believable characters I have seen.

The only reason this movie isn't down as a classic is because a lot of people have a lot of hangups when it comes to the evil green stuff or anything or anyone who mentions it. In actual fact if these people were paying attention it neither promotes nor discourages weed smoking. If you believe pot can be that enticing to people (in this case, 4 losers)you are mistaken and missing the point of the movie.. it's just a comedy and a far, far fetched story. Lighten up!

Hilarity from beginning to end, cool music, excellent/colourful photography, not a second of boredom from beginning to end.

Page 2 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]