IMDb > Half Baked (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Half Baked More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Author: oneguyrambling from Australia
8 June 2011

Half Baked joins Cop Out as another especially accurate title, even if it was not deliberate. It's like writers Dave Chappelle and Neale Brennan thought "How about we make a movie where we can give lots of our fellow comedians a job AND be able to tell stories for the next decade about how we weren't smoking prop dope onset?" The other guy nodded in the smoky haze, they financed the film based upon a script outline and then realised "sh*t we need jokes"? Here's what they came up with: Four guys live together with one common goal – to get as high as they can as often as they can using amusingly monikered smoking accessories. When one of them is imprisoned for inappropriate dealings with a horse – not that kind – the remaining trio decide to sell enough dope to cover the $100,000 required for bail before all sorts of hilarious jailsex acts can be perpetrated upon his person.

Thurgood (Chappelle) sources the superstrong weed through scientists that have genetically engineered it at the building where he is a janitor, in a couple of scenes that only happen in "look it's a dumb comedy, don't sweat the facts" films like the one I'm reviewing here.

After smoking the weed there are numerous easy near-chuckle inducing jokes and many moments designed to elicit "yeah we were dicks when we were high too" empathy. That being said if you weren't ever (or aren't now) high, it's merely a few boneheads sitting around talking sh*t, grinning inanely and doing very little. Even without the drugs I did several years of that in my 20s and while I loved it at the time I wouldn't pay to watch 90 minute snippets of it now.

The painfully unfunny Harlan Williams is Kenny the imprisoned bonehead – a plus as it limits his screen time to a few minutes and his jokes to a few allusions to looming non-consensual sex. Jim Breuer mugs every single scene that he is in, in either an amazingly accurate or at least amazingly stereotypical portrayal of a perpetually stoned moron. This leaves Guillermo Diaz to say "Yo" and call people "B" a lot while Dave Chappelle himself does and says all the things resembling comedy for the remaining hour or so.

The annoying thing is that while Chappelle was effortlessly funny – or appeared to be – for the 2 seasons of his own show he struggles mightily here. It's worth noting though that even if he doesn't make with the laff-laff too much he is already quite likable and his delivery is solid. It's just that likable is worth liking but hardly funny, and with most of the cast being unlikable and similarly unfunny, Half Baked comes across as somewhat – well – half baked.

Final Rating – 4.5 / 10. Proof that even remowned comic geniuses have to work on their craft before becoming instant successes. A couple of chuckles amid 80 mostly unfunny minutes.

(If you're a stoner this might all be hilarious, still more proof that smoking kills brain cells.)

"First of all, to understand Killer, you gotta understand who Killer the Dog was."

Author: gigan-92 from United States
18 January 2011

This film is one of my all time favorites. It's a real stand out comedy with damn good performances for what it is. most comedy today is pathetically predictable and just un-funny. From dismal family comedy flicks to the terrible ill amusing escapades of the date comedy. For me, their just way too formulaic. Is this story whole-heartedly original,no, not by far, but it's treatment is gloriously funny and pure escapist fun. The performances are better than you'd expect, giving off the feeling these guys are real close. Dave Chappelle is a riot,a real comedic genius. Guillermo Díaz is Scarface, Harland Willaims was terrific but the the performance I enjoyed almost even more than Chappelle's was that of Jim Breuer as Brian. If you've seen this movie then you know why I say this. Rachel True does as well as needed, but I found the tragic story of Killer by far more memorable (lol).

And before i forget there are some very memorable cameos from Jon Stewart, Snoop Dogg, and Tommy Chong naturally. Each is just funny as hell. I don't believe you have to be a stoner to get all the jokes, but being a user will make it all the more hilarious. Overall, my rain reason for loving this film is that it casually, repeatedly and openly points out that marijuana isn't really something to fear, disgust or be ridiculously conservative of. A 'pothead' myself, I really don't recall ever feeling the urge to "suck a d*ck" for some marijuana, so that's saying some thing right?

Take a hit, and Live life.

Makes you forget about the world around you for a while

Author: moviemaniac008 from Canada
21 March 2010

Viewed this movie on: January 13, 2010 Half Baked is a movie that really entertains you. Of course it's a dumb movie, and I think that to enjoy it, you need to switch your brain to off for the time this movie lasts. I viewed this film during a time when I had many problems: School-like and relationship problems, but let me tell you that one school night I watched this movie because my friend had lent it to me and I literally forgot all about these problems. Thankfully all those problems are solved now, but that is not the point. I read on an IMDb board that someone compared Half Baked to Pineapple Express, but that's something I don't understand because Half Baked is a much different movie than PE who has a bigger budget, thus better cinematography, leads, etc...

The story is fairly original: Talks about Thurgood (Dave Chappelle), Brian (Jim Breuer) and Scarface (Guillermo Diaz) who are trying to sell Marijuana to bail their friend Kenny (Harland Davis) out of jail after ''Killing a cop'' (those who have seen the movie will understand). What follows is of course exaggerated situations, but these situations are utterly hilarious. The leads are all very likable, Dave Chappelle is the friendly guy, Jim Breuer as the man who is always high and Guillermo Diaz, as the guy who has a much different personality. Personally, Scarface was my favourite but I felt that Brian inherited most of the best lines. Anyways in a nutshell, you won't see time pass as you laugh yourself retarded while watching this movie (PS: That last part was inspired by a quote from the movie) :-)

One of the funniest 90s movies

Author: sideburnmikeguitar from United States
24 July 2009

This is a movie about a group of friends whose lives revolve around smoking marijuana. One of the friends ends up in jail and they have to raise money to try to get him out. I don't remember if it's for a fine or for bail or court costs--It's been a year or two since I've seen it--and the guys end up dealing pot to make it happen.

The main thing I do remember is that every time I see it on TV or at a friend's house, I always end up watching it all the way through and laughing like mad. There are never any dull moments with comedians like Dave Chappelle and Jim Breuer, two of funniest guys from the 90s. Harlan Williams also has a great but minor roll.

I remember seeing this when i was about 18 and still being somewhat naive I was able to appreciate the whole thing. Years later it's still funny. To this day I've never smoked anything and that didn't effect my appreciation of this movie whatsoever. The jokes aren't all the same old people acting silly because they're high. The marijuana related humor is still funny for most people because the characters remind you of people you probably know and their idiosyncrasies.

It's not a serious movie by any means, and obviously not for little kids. Still, I've watched this with my Dad and even he was cracking up. It's just good, juvenile fun.

A Great Comedy!

Author: predator_silver77 from United States
16 December 2008

The Plot: Loaded with some of today's hottest young comedy stars, Half-Baked is the hilarious adventure of three lovable party buds trying to find cash to bail their friend out of jail. But just when the guys have mastered a plan, everything comes dangerously close to going up in smoke! with numerous cameo appearances.

My Spiel: Half-baked is a movie I remember back in the day and still watch to this day. A truly funny, funny movie, with Dave Chappelle as the main sure he brings his hilarious attributes to this movie. Granted this movie should not be taken serious in the lest. This movie is miles ahead of a lot of the stupid crap that has been coming to movies recently; for example all the movie parodies. This movie has a complete comedy edge to it with laughable characters and something you can get behind. Easily one of my top 10 favorite comedies of all time! Half-Baked (1998) Review: 8/10

Good Stuff

Author: jts0405 from United States
31 October 2008

If you love watching movies with a high count of drug use with a very stupid plot then this is for all of those people including myself. I found this movie to be a really hilarious stoner comedy starring the very hilarious Dave Chapelle. I desired to rent this awhile ago because I do enjoy the Cheech and Chong movies a lot personally. So I figured that this would be an interesting stoner flick just like all of those before. If you notice Tommy Chong does make a cameo in this movie and he had me dying laughing. So if you are into the drug movies that seem hilarious for the little and less important things. Check this out now because it is the right thing for a person that enjoys stoner flicks.

Witty and silly -- a joy to behold

Author: bungfrombeyond from United States
16 November 2007

I first watched this movie before i had ever even seen marijuana in person, and instantly this movie had become one of my favorites. Chappelle's comedic delivery is impeccable and really drives the spirit of the movie from start to finish. Years from now, people will see his impact on comedy as revolutionary, as many already have.

The rest of the cast is filled with little-known actors (e.g., the "Scarface" character) to the iconic (e.g. Willie Nelson) and everybody contributes to the comedy in a unique way. Brian (played by Jim Breuer) serves as the stereotypical burnt-out stoner and does the job well. Scarface serves as an excellent foil to Bruer due to his extremely hyper nature, in spite of his marijuana use.

The movie itself filled with absurdity anchored in truth and this complimentary relationship is what makes the movie so fulfilling. Yes, the movie involves marijuana but being acquainted with it is not necessary to appreciate the antics of the characters. Though the drivers of the plot are really the protagonists, there are elements of romance, action, and suspense as the crew makes their way in the drug scene in order to rescue their friend from an undeservedly cruel fate.

Obviously, the most recurring theme of the film, namely marijuana, makes this appealing to those who either indulge or know about the topic; however, familiarity is hardly a requirement to appreciate the humor or characters. The movie speaks for itself and is one of my favorite movies ever.

This Movie Is Da Bomb

Author: shannasman9 from United States
8 October 2007

I saw this movie when it was on Comedy Central and thought it was the best movie of the 90's. I loved watching Dave Chappelle's role as Thurgood Jenkins and compared to when he did the comedian on The Nutty Professor in 1996. I was surprised to see Willie Nelson and Bob Saget and Snoop Dogg and Jon Stewart in this movie. Also I was curious about that guy on the couch. What was his name if he did have one? I think Tamra Davis did a wonderful job directing and writing the script. So if anyone hasn't seen this movie yet, I'd highly recommend it to those of you curious about it. Go out and buy it. Enjoy and thank you very much. I would again recommend this movie to any and everyone who hasn't seen it.

Good to watch B++

Author: souths-1 from United States
2 May 2006

I'm gonna make this short and sweet like skunk.

PRO's- really funny, has interesting characters, a movie about best buds, colorful, has dave chapelle, nice story, and makes you feel good.

CON's- um... hm... what we're we talking about? OK. This movie is really funny. The first time i saw this movie i was laughing really hard and not under the influence.

If you never saw this movie and need a good laugh.

This is it.

Get the DVD or rent it if you're not sure or borrow it from your friend or bother your neighbor whom you don't really know well enough to borrow sugar let alone a DVD.

Are you a POTHEAD?

Author: James Martin (gatburgteddy@yahoo.com) from United States
5 March 2006

This movie shows just what REAL potheads are about, work sorta lowlife jobs and stay high all the time and just non violent activity, what other addicts would say is the "gateway" drug, this movie proves it's just a drug of choice... The lines in this movie can even make those who are not on drugs laugh, and even though it's full of goofy offbeat humor, it wants to make ya watch it over again.. it's a hip-hop right-on comedy... Anyone watching this movie will either roll on the floor laughing or cry out loud laughing..... So kick back with Mary Jane, Billy Bongs, and Wesley Pipes and LOADS of Munchies and enjoy a movie that proves Mary Jane is the girl to have.. and who don't agree with the last line of the movie...

Page 2 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]