IMDb > Half Baked (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 14 of 17: [Prev][9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Funny concept + Hilarious Writing/Acting = 90's Comedy At Its Best

Author: Tim Jordan from San Francisco, CA
6 September 2002

Half Baked is an amazing movie. Its brand of humor is perfect, but more importantly, the movie is loaded with incredibly hilarious scenes. This movie doesn't receive its due respect, but its scenes and quotes deserve to live on for a long time. Bob Saget's cameo at the drug rehab meeting comes to mind. This movie was well written, as the movie essentially moved from hilarious scene to hilarious scene without having to be weighted down by an overly important plot. The mission is simple: Raise money to release imprisoned friend in jeopardy of getting bad things performed in certain orifices. There is a plot filled with rising action, climax, and resolution, but the plot serves as the medium for some of the funniest moments imaginable. Dave Chappelle and Jim Bruer possess such natural gifts for comedy and take an already amusing script and make it so much better. Stephen Wright was so incredibly funny as the man on the couch, and Harland Williams (the hitchhiker from `Something About Mary') did a fabulous comedic job, particularly in the scene where he just writes on the black guy's picture. This movie is definitely one that will be watched many, many times - quoted many, many more times. -8/10-

Not too Shabby!

Author: Joe from New Jersey
19 May 2002

Well overall the movie is pretty stupid but it is very funny. My only complaint was Jim Buer (Sp?) he gets annoying very fast! It may not be worth the buy but it is worth renting! If you watch the movie over and over you notice things you haven't noticed before. Here is one thing I have just found out... "The Guy" gave the middle finger in one part.

Warning: MUST be pothead or MoJo humourist to enjoy....

Author: ad2020 (ad2020@prontomail.com) from Desolate Plains of MT
27 October 2000

This movie seems to elicit one of two responses from people: they think it horrible or great! I for one had to give it a 10, a modern myopia of marijuana! Yes, this movie bumbles along as the average pothead would but that's what makes it great as well. Jim Breuer has to be representing the "ability to get into trouble no matter what" part of botanism. And of course, stereotypes, pop culture, and just landmarking are what make this movie good, so just go with the fluidy flow, feel the circular revolution, inhale the green god......and quit being such a damn critic about everything!!

Cult Classic - the 90's Up in Smoke

Author: snapdggler from Washington DC
4 October 2000

I'm reading all of these views where people are like "it's not a great movie", the "acting sucks" and all of this stuff. It's not supposed to be Schindler's List people, This is TAMRA DAVIS not Steven Spielberg.

This movie set out to be a "stupid" comedy appealing to those who understand the world of the Pothead. It set out to be to Weed what Animal House was to frats and it succeeds. It's not the best made movie of the current weed flicks (Friday, Dazed and Confused), but it is hilarious in its own light as it tells the story of 5 stoners who live together and must sell weed when one of them is put in jail for feeding a diabetic horse junk food while he as high.

Jim Breuer captures the stereotypical stoner and Dave Chappelle, who also wrote, proves he has the comedic ability to carry a film that's already funny in its own right. It's an hour and fifteen minutes of fun and laughter replete with cameos by an odd cast of celebrities including Snoop Dogg, Willie Nelson and Bob Saget.

Rent it now. I recommend it highly because it is a good bad/stupid movie! !

A Great Comedy!

Author: (bianco@optonline.net) from Long Island NY
23 August 2000

This was a great comedy. I couldn't stop laughing. I am really annoyed at the people who bash this movie along with other movies of the same genre as Scary Movie. Your not supposed walk into this movie expecting a plot.

Greatest Movie ever Baked

Author: Adam (malibusk8r@aol.com) from Malibu, CA
8 August 2000

This is the best movie ever. In fact, i am the president of a Half Baked Fan Club. This movie has a hilarious plot with great acting and even greater cast. The cast includes cameos by Snoop Doggy Dogg, Janeane Garofalo, Bob Saget, Willie Nelson, Tommy Chong (yes, as in Cheech & Chong), Jon Stewart, Stephen Baldwin, and more... Someone has finally realized that since Cheech & Chong, there's been no good Marijuana comedy. They brought it back. And Chong even stopped by to help playing the Squerril Master. A+. 10 thumbs up.

And I like this movie for what reason...

Author: l3ryan
16 October 1999

Honestly I don't know why "Half Baked" is such a hot flick. For some reason I feel mesmerized while watching like I can't get enough. I have seen it about 50 times, and know just about every line. One of the few films that actually makes me laugh out loud.

D00D?!? ANYONE GOT A BONG?!?

Author: b. koski from upper peninsula, michigan
16 June 1999

It's obvious why this movie was dedicated to stoners -- you'd have to be under the influence of some sort of illegal substance to enjoy Half Baked.

Now, maybe it's because I'm not a fan of drugs, or maybe it's because I feel that Jim Breuer is one of the reasons why SNL makes me want to vomit now, but this movie did NOTHING for me at all. I mean, I appreciate and enjoy the drug-related humour of Cheech And Chong and George Carlin, but this is worthless. If I remember correctly I got one laugh out of this film, and that was the fact that 'cultural icons' like Snoop Doggy Dogg, Willie Nelson, Steven Wright and Janeane Garofalo could be involved in it. Plain and simple; I considered trying to call DirecTV to get my money back for viewing the film after I saw it.

Stoners and/or Jim Breuer fans, rent it. You'll probably love it. Otherwise, walk right past it and pick up some classic John Candy or Steve Martin (or Kids In The Hall: Brain Candy, or some Cheech And Chong if you can't abandon drug humour) instead. You'll be much happier if you do...

Not a movie for everyone...

Author: anonymous from Tranquille
5 December 1998

This movie has its good moments and its bad moments. If you're looking for morality, ethics, or plot, you won't find them here, but if you're looking for a really short film with some excellent acting and cameo shots, this one's worth checking out. Not everyone who watches the movie will enjoy it, but almost everyone will get a few laughs out of it.

A warning about this movie to some, though, might be the basic premise. Four guys who center their lives around smoking weed. Everything that happens in this movie happens because the characters have severe drug problems. But it's the character-driven obsession with the weed that gives the movie it's flavor. Even if you're one of those people who doesn't approve of marijuana, you'll get a kick out of the flick because it does show that smoking weed is a bad thing to do, and will end up getting you in trouble. In typical movie fashion, all the characters end up alright in the end, but there are a few "scary" scenes, particularly the hilarious shower scene that takes place while one of the characters is in prison (he "killed" a diabetic horse while stoned).

I usually don't enjoy stoner movies (and often don't finish them), but this one was worth watching. (It did help that the movie was really short -- if they had tried making it longer, they would have lost the comedic element.) The cast of the movie does an excellent job in their roles, and there are some fabulous cameo appearances -- the two most notable were probably Canadian actor Tommy Chong (well-known to many fans of stoner flick from the "Cheech & Chong" series) and well-known comedian Bob Saget as a very out-spoken member of a narcotics anonymous group. Other celebrities you can see here include Janeane Garofalo, Stephen Baldwin, Willie Nelson, and comedian Steven Wright, as well as Canadian dramatic and comic actor Jason Blicker.

Viewers who enjoy the movie for the stoner aspects may also enjoy "The Stoned Age" (not as funny or as well-written, but along the same lines) or the cult hit "Pulp Fiction". If it's the comedy that gets you, it might be worth checking out the "Hot Shots" series, or various "National Lampoon" movies (particularly "Loaded Weapon 1" and "Senior Trip"). If you just want to see Dave Chappelle in action again, check out the 1997 hit "ConAir". No matter what, there's something for everyone.

Half Baked was very disappointing.

Author: Cassius Adams (cassiusa@yahoo.com) from Toronto, Canada
2 October 1998

I was there for the shooting of a few of the scenes on Yonge Street in Toronto, and all I can say is "it was funnier to watch in real than on screen." If it weren't for the fact that this film was shot in my hometown and that I had a chance to watch some of it being filmed, I wouldn't have even paid the $8.00 to get in to the theatre. I had a feeling it would be a let down, but to my regret, I gave it a chance.

Page 14 of 17: [Prev][9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]