IMDb > Half Baked (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Half Baked

Half Baked More at IMDbPro »

Page 13 of 17: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

I REALLY wanted to like it... but it's not all bad.

Author: cinefan from California, U. S. A.
3 February 2000

I was expecting a sort of "second coming of Cheech & Chong" from Dave Chappelle, one of the best stand-ups working today (and a scene stealer in such films as "The Nutty Professor"). Unfortunately, despite the presence of such hilarious performers as Jim Breuer and Harland Williams, "Half Baked" ends up being just that. Despite the obvious fact that such a comedy couldn't really tolerate a plot which took itself too seriously, it's pretty paper thin stuff. I can't help but wonder if some of the film's more subversive moments were left on the cutting room floor. Oh, well. There's still some GREAT lines in the film, most of them delivered by Chappelle (who, being the film's writer, also prooves he's no fool). Breuer, who - with his dropping eyelids - looks stoned no matter what condition he's in, is a perfect choice for the picture, but doesn't get to cut loose like he did on "Saturday Night Live." Williams, who practically walked off with "There's Something About Mary" during his one short scene, is the most endearing of the four leads and very funny, to boot. Guillermo Diaz doesn't fare quite as well, and the female lead is highly irrelevant to the overall film. But, I must give credit where credit is due: this movie has THE BEST LAST LINE IN CINEMA HISTORY.

Awesome party movie and awesome movie altogether!

Author: mattymatt4ever from Jersey City, NJ
22 May 2001

All those who've gotten high in their lives--and don't lie!--can definitely relate to the characters in this movie in one way or the other. And the results are hilarious! Naturally, the majority of those who've seen the film remember it for Jim Breuer's hilarious character. He sooooo stole the show!! There are so many original, low-brow touches that put this in the Guilty Pleasure Comedy Hall of Fame. Get your buds together--no pun intended--and you'll have a blast! A comedy like this cannot be explained. You'll love it! And look for great cameos, including one surprising appearance by former "Full House" star Bob Saget.

My score: 7 (out of 10)

Love it, Man!

Author: fiteclub
19 September 1999

I agree with what that other, like, dude type guy said, only, like, the Target Audience is gonna, like dig it. What the hell are you 40 year old guys doing watching it? This movie is one of the most popular among teenagers and is a huge underground success, providing great viewing material for parties and bashes. No one under 21 disslikes this movie, and no one over 30 likes it. Enjoy it while you can. Until you crossover, man....

The Fourteenth Time

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
18 August 2006

Decades ago, Cheech and Chomg accidentally made a good movie, good enough. They unsuccessfully tried a half dozen times or so since then to recapture what it was that worked. And we've had an endless parade of similar attempts, all failures.

"Up in Smoke" worked in part because of the times. Dopers individually were useless humans but as a group we all needed them to leaven the edges of society. In a way, we created the "don't worry, be happy" class to give us another horizon to scan, away from the Nixon one.

So we already were open, and our stoners stepped into a warm tradition of cinematic humor based on comic intoxication. Oh, we loved our drunks.

And so far as movies, we were entering a neo noir era where the whole point of the movie was to not only have the noir notion of hapless innocents caught in capricious events, but also to play with those mechanics.

So much the better that the innocents were innocent because they were stoned (and when not might as well have been).

It really was a sweet spot and additionally had a fold: the performance was about getting to a performance and then performing. The women were perfect.

The times have long since passed when stoners were a desired endearing mix for our idealized world. Now they are a drag, simply stupid. If you want to play with the form, you have to go deep in the folded direction. "Wayne's World" was a classic, really well engineered, that.

But the original model lumbers on, and we get old fish heads like this.

The writer-star disowned it, and I'm glad to hear it. There's no charm here, nothing to get engaged in even if you try. The movie is stoned itself, sitting there and not caring that we are watching.

Funny as hell (Spoilers)

Author: TLWB723 from U.S.
4 November 2003

Dave Chappelle and Jim Bruer were both funny as hell, but I personally thought that Guillermo Diaz(Scarface) and Steven Wright(the Guy on the Couch) were the funniest. I could not stop laughing at the face paint that Scarface was wearing. And the guy on the couch telling thurgood to rob the hospital was hilarious.

A group of friends save their friend from jail after he accidentally kills an officer (a horse)

Author: crazymrsbrown from US
4 June 2003

GOOD LORD this movie is funny. The drug references are heavy, but their performances are completely hysterical. I couldn't stop laughing...I've seen a LOT of movies and this one is definitely one of my very favorites.

Not as good as I thought it would be.

Author: stickmann433-1 from America
14 April 2003

Im a huge fan of Jim Breuer and Dave Chapelle so I had kinda high expectations for this movie. I thought it was pretty funny just not as funny as it should be. I hope Jim and Dave can team up again some day and produce a comedy thats as funny as they are. Overall I liked it but I was disappointed. gets a 6.0 on the funny-o-meter(Jim and Dave should be able to pull off a 9).

It's no Shakespeare in Love, but it's still the shiznit

Author: Basie
7 April 2003

For Years my friends and I have spouted out dialogue from this movie when we're just hanging out. We watch it every now and then for laughs. This movie takes a subject. Marijuana. and takes a deep and thoughtful, provacotive, fresh and funny look at it. Dave Chapelle is really funny and I find his observational type of humor really funny. Being a teenage pothead once I at one time felt that I had finally found that movie that I could Identify with. This movie was my American Graffitti. Rent this movie it'll make you laugh. If you're a square who somehow has escaped never smoking weed in your entire life in the society you live in then it may fly right over your head. Otherwise, sit back and enjoy.'

"Yo, I'm Cuban B!" - "Yes, Cuban B"

LOL

My favorite comedy of all time!!!

Author: GlennBrody0312 from Los Angeles, CA
3 January 2003

"Half-Baked" is by far, my favorite comedy ever. Many people say it's a film for posers and "wannabe" stoners, who act like they're stoned by never inhailed or even touched the stuff (you know what 'stuff' I'm talking about). My favorite director is Tamra Davis, because I think she's genuine and awesome. Besides Penny Marshall, Davis is one of the only female directors that can appeal to both crowds of guys and girls. She's created "Billy Madison", "CB4", and "Half-Baked" to the male crowd of people, not to mention she's married to Beastie Boys frontman Mike D. As for the female crowd, she still has provided a lot of sentimental values for them, that of course would include probably he most noticible work for Britney Spears' debut film, "Crossroads", which, although was aimed toward more of a 12-year old girl who's a Britney-fan, I still thought it was actually pretty good.

Anyways, I'm getting off track. "Baked" is the never-told story of four best friends, growing up in New York City. Whereas that might sound like Davis' early production on "Crossroads"' story, this is WAAAAAAAYYYYY different. You see, these four "friends" are pot-heads to the extreme. The narrator and main character of the story is Thurgood Jenkins, played by hilarious comedian, Dave Chappelle. Thurgood lives with Brian (SNL's Jim Breuer), Scarface (Guillermo Diaz) and Kenny (comedian Harland Williams). Around everyday pretty much, the four roommates meet up in their den, form a circle and smoke Marijuana. After every 'ceremony', one of them is choosen to go out and get some munchies. This time around, Kenny, who's a Kindergarden teacher, is choosen to go out and get some food. However, trouble errupts when the stoned Kenny accidentally feeds a diabetic police horse, and less than an hour later, is branded a "Cop-Killer" and sent to a maximum security prison. After hearing about Kenny's fate, Thurgood and the guys try to think of a plan to get Kennny out. In pure serendipity, Thurgood's job as a custodian at a Pharmancy lab takes a big steer when it is revealed to him that the company is using Cannibis plants and Marijuana stash for experiments on medical reasons. The idea is hatched: they steal of the weed and sell it in order to raise money for Kenny's release. However, what seems to go without flaw turns sour. Thurgood then meets a beautiful young woman named Mary-Jane (her name is by coincidence), played by Rachael True. Mary-jane is certain about meeting a sober, pot-free guy, but by now you all know Thurgood isn't. So he lies to her and the two become a bed couple. Then, even worse occurs when drug Kinpin named Samson (Clearance Williams III) is furious about the boys' drug traffiking and decides to manipulate them. Could the boys get Kenny out of prison before his...er, 'priceless artifact' is invaded? Can Thurgood keep his secret from Mary-jane? Is Samson gonna get his man?

All these question are answered in this kick-ass flick. Everything about this movie is great, because it's original. Thurgood opening narration in nothing short of a National Geographic look at Stoners, which in my eyes is brilliant and hilarious. One of the many things that make the film cool is it's justible selection of Cameos, which include Snoop Dogg, Willie Nelson, Tommy Chong, Bob Saget, Jeanine Garafolo, Stephen Baldwin, Tracy Morgan, Jon Stewart and much more. This film is most definately a keeper. What would be even cooler if Davis and company would make a sequel to it. But no matter what, it's still my fave and always will be.

Very Funny

Author: Jason from the other side
18 November 2002

When I first saw the movie I didn't see why all my friends hyped it up. The second time I watched it, I realized the movie was hilarious. Once you get to know the characters the movie is great. The humor in the movie can only be described as upsurd (with characters named "Nasty" Nate, Sir Smokesalot, and the Squirrel Master). You don't have to be a pot head to appreciate the humor, although it might help. If this movie didn't make you laugh, you either have a dry sense of humor or prefer slapstick Stooge comedy. If you didn't see it and like movies that are fun, I suggest you and your friends watch it.

Page 13 of 17: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]