IMDb > Half Baked (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

a 5 joint movie! =)

Author: thefrogprince from United States
5 March 2006

Pot smokers represent! =) This film is *the* new definitive piece for the genre (yes, ladies and gentlemen, surpassing, even, Up In Smoke). =) Follow one pothead's (Dave Chappele as Thurgood Jenkins) journey from social miscreant to responsible citizen. Along the way, he learns to sacrifice for his friends, take charge of difficult situations and lead, and tap into that true American entrepreneurial spirit that lies dormant within us all! =) And all of this?… for the nobility of true love. =) (Oh ya… and did we mention that in the middle of all of this, he even finds time to support his local law enforcement officials?). =)

Hat's off to the director, Tamra Davis. You did us proud. What absolutely "makes" this movie (besides Dave Chappele as Sir Smoke-A-Lot) is the cameos. The currently best rated comment mentions: Snoop Dogg, Jon Stewart, Janeane Garafalo, Willie Nelson, Stephen Baldwin, Clarence Williams 3, Tommy Chong, Bob Saget, and *others*. This fails to mention two *others*: a special guest appearance by the ghost of Jerry Garcia =), and… Steven Wright, playing the quintessential "guy on the couch". =) This movie is sooo good, that I suppose you could even watch it sober and *still* find it entertaining. =) I give this movie a 5 out 5 joints. =)

Features the funniest cameos ever

Author: Derek237 from Canada
5 February 2005

The highlight of Half Baked is clearly the hilarious cameos, in particular the cameo by Bob Saget. It was a while since Full House went off the air, and people started to wonder, 'where's Bob?' Well, we found him, and in the unlikeliest of places, too. His all-American, wholesome, great dad image is completely torn apart in just a matter of seconds. His line, "I used to suck d**k for coke" echoes in eternity for great moments in contemporary comedy.

As for the movie itself, I thought it was awesome. Dave Chapelle, who co-wrote the script, obviously knows his subject very well. The details of the marijuana culture are rich and extremely humorous. We're shown different types of marijuana users ("I'm 40 and still cool smoker", "I can't be creative without pot smoker," "enhancement smoker," "scavenger smoker"), the different ways of buying it, and surprisingly enough, it teaches that life can be good without it. Just listen to Thurgood's wise final words at the end of the movie when he gives up weed and gets the girl:

"Now, I know what you're thinking: old Thrugood sold out, right? Well, let me tell you something. I love weed, I LOVE it. But not as much as I love p***y. The End."

Half Baked is a very good comedy which I've enjoyed over and over. It obviously won't rank up as one the greatest films of all time but it's a funny movie with memorable characters and lines. Dave Chappelle is more popular now than he was when this came out but I hope that people go back and revisit it (especially now with a new "Fully Baked Edition" DVD!). Half Baked is a gem of a comedy.

My rating: 6.5/10

"First of all, to understand Killer, you gotta understand who Killer the Dog was."

Author: gigan-92 from United States
18 January 2011

This film is one of my all time favorites. It's a real stand out comedy with damn good performances for what it is. most comedy today is pathetically predictable and just un-funny. From dismal family comedy flicks to the terrible ill amusing escapades of the date comedy. For me, their just way too formulaic. Is this story whole-heartedly original,no, not by far, but it's treatment is gloriously funny and pure escapist fun. The performances are better than you'd expect, giving off the feeling these guys are real close. Dave Chappelle is a riot,a real comedic genius. Guillermo Díaz is Scarface, Harland Willaims was terrific but the the performance I enjoyed almost even more than Chappelle's was that of Jim Breuer as Brian. If you've seen this movie then you know why I say this. Rachel True does as well as needed, but I found the tragic story of Killer by far more memorable (lol).

And before i forget there are some very memorable cameos from Jon Stewart, Snoop Dogg, and Tommy Chong naturally. Each is just funny as hell. I don't believe you have to be a stoner to get all the jokes, but being a user will make it all the more hilarious. Overall, my rain reason for loving this film is that it casually, repeatedly and openly points out that marijuana isn't really something to fear, disgust or be ridiculously conservative of. A 'pothead' myself, I really don't recall ever feeling the urge to "suck a d*ck" for some marijuana, so that's saying some thing right?

Take a hit, and Live life.

A Great Comedy!

Author: predator_silver77 from United States
16 December 2008

The Plot: Loaded with some of today's hottest young comedy stars, Half-Baked is the hilarious adventure of three lovable party buds trying to find cash to bail their friend out of jail. But just when the guys have mastered a plan, everything comes dangerously close to going up in smoke! with numerous cameo appearances.

My Spiel: Half-baked is a movie I remember back in the day and still watch to this day. A truly funny, funny movie, with Dave Chappelle as the main sure he brings his hilarious attributes to this movie. Granted this movie should not be taken serious in the lest. This movie is miles ahead of a lot of the stupid crap that has been coming to movies recently; for example all the movie parodies. This movie has a complete comedy edge to it with laughable characters and something you can get behind. Easily one of my top 10 favorite comedies of all time! Half-Baked (1998) Review: 8/10

Witty and silly -- a joy to behold

Author: bungfrombeyond from United States
16 November 2007

I first watched this movie before i had ever even seen marijuana in person, and instantly this movie had become one of my favorites. Chappelle's comedic delivery is impeccable and really drives the spirit of the movie from start to finish. Years from now, people will see his impact on comedy as revolutionary, as many already have.

The rest of the cast is filled with little-known actors (e.g., the "Scarface" character) to the iconic (e.g. Willie Nelson) and everybody contributes to the comedy in a unique way. Brian (played by Jim Breuer) serves as the stereotypical burnt-out stoner and does the job well. Scarface serves as an excellent foil to Bruer due to his extremely hyper nature, in spite of his marijuana use.

The movie itself filled with absurdity anchored in truth and this complimentary relationship is what makes the movie so fulfilling. Yes, the movie involves marijuana but being acquainted with it is not necessary to appreciate the antics of the characters. Though the drivers of the plot are really the protagonists, there are elements of romance, action, and suspense as the crew makes their way in the drug scene in order to rescue their friend from an undeservedly cruel fate.

Obviously, the most recurring theme of the film, namely marijuana, makes this appealing to those who either indulge or know about the topic; however, familiarity is hardly a requirement to appreciate the humor or characters. The movie speaks for itself and is one of my favorite movies ever.

This Movie Is Da Bomb

Author: shannasman9 from United States
8 October 2007

I saw this movie when it was on Comedy Central and thought it was the best movie of the 90's. I loved watching Dave Chappelle's role as Thurgood Jenkins and compared to when he did the comedian on The Nutty Professor in 1996. I was surprised to see Willie Nelson and Bob Saget and Snoop Dogg and Jon Stewart in this movie. Also I was curious about that guy on the couch. What was his name if he did have one? I think Tamra Davis did a wonderful job directing and writing the script. So if anyone hasn't seen this movie yet, I'd highly recommend it to those of you curious about it. Go out and buy it. Enjoy and thank you very much. I would again recommend this movie to any and everyone who hasn't seen it.

Quite Funny!

Author: ben tawton from United Kingdom
20 June 2006

This movie is funny if you smoke weed otherwise you will find it a boring movie,Dave Chappelle is a funny comedian i've watched loads of his stand-ups on DVD but he wasn't really that funny in this film he was more of a serious stoned guy,All the other actors in this film i've never heard or seen of them,If you like silly fun films then you should see this,If you do like this film also watch Harold and Kumar go to white castle its also about stone heads but its way more funnier and it has better acting and a way better story line, Also try watching Chappelle's Stand ups they are Very Very Funny I'll give this film 8/10 because its funny in its category!!

Good to watch B++

Author: souths-1 from United States
2 May 2006

I'm gonna make this short and sweet like skunk.

PRO's- really funny, has interesting characters, a movie about best buds, colorful, has dave chapelle, nice story, and makes you feel good.

CON's- um... hm... what we're we talking about? OK. This movie is really funny. The first time i saw this movie i was laughing really hard and not under the influence.

If you never saw this movie and need a good laugh.

This is it.

Get the DVD or rent it if you're not sure or borrow it from your friend or bother your neighbor whom you don't really know well enough to borrow sugar let alone a DVD.

Are you a POTHEAD?

Author: James Martin (gatburgteddy@yahoo.com) from United States
5 March 2006

This movie shows just what REAL potheads are about, work sorta lowlife jobs and stay high all the time and just non violent activity, what other addicts would say is the "gateway" drug, this movie proves it's just a drug of choice... The lines in this movie can even make those who are not on drugs laugh, and even though it's full of goofy offbeat humor, it wants to make ya watch it over again.. it's a hip-hop right-on comedy... Anyone watching this movie will either roll on the floor laughing or cry out loud laughing..... So kick back with Mary Jane, Billy Bongs, and Wesley Pipes and LOADS of Munchies and enjoy a movie that proves Mary Jane is the girl to have.. and who don't agree with the last line of the movie...

True cult pot movie, right up there with Cheech&Chong!

Author: em from Canada
12 December 2005

man, this movie is absolutely HILARIOUS! to all you little pot smokers out there, this is a MUST SEE. the humor is right on target of someone completely high, there's a plot line thats interesting enough to not fall asleep to, not so complicated so that you get lost in it and forget what its about, and you know you'll enjoy it even if you're really stoned, its even entertaining to those who don't smoke. and if you're not stoned when you see this movie, you'll still feel as if you are. this movie is definitely one of the cult marijuana movies, right up there with Cheech&Chong and Dazed&Confuzed. seriously, you don't want to miss it, i laughed myself silly while watching this! hint: if you're stoned when you watch it, don't forget to buy lots of food, you'll get mad munchies!!!

Page 2 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]