IMDb > All I Wanna Do (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Strike!

All I Wanna Do More at IMDbPro »Strike! (original title)

Page 2 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

The Hairy Bird doesn't Strike! out, All I Wanna Do is recommend it far and wide!

Author: RavenGlamDVDCollector from South Africa
11 October 2015

To end the confusion once and for all, the film was made as THE HAIRY BIRD and, yes, the title is wordplay on the male wedding tackle (hilarious really, that cute little cartoon bird that fails at its attempts to take to flight in the title sequence is, in fact, a comically animated 'man's nether bits', and quite ballsy, huh?) but then the distributors backed off not to be offensive, and it was released in Canada as STRIKE! (bland!) and in the US as ALL I WANNA DO (passable, I suppose). There is the referral early on in the movie 'this school eats the hairy bird' which (would have) fitted in nicely with the far more clever original title.

I downloaded the trailer and wasn't entirely convinced that it would be great, but I have loads of Kirsten Dunst movies in my RavenGlam collection, so what the hell, I bought it because she is in it. And I'm glad, no THANKFUL, I did. Movie only became a hit with me in the second half, mainly because Gaby Hoffman failed to impress, let me not pussyfoot around that any longer. She's mostly boring, and ensemble cast 'up your ziggie with a wah-wah brush!' she's virtually the female lead. There's too little zing in the way the character is portrayed, so there you have a Flat Critter. Okay, so RavenGlamDVDCollector will always play favorites with the prettiest actresses, but here I have a rock-solid case! Go on, admit it! Three years later Canadian actress Jessica Paré (LOST AND DELIRIOUS) would have been perfect! Dammit I know you're gonna hate me for this suggestion, but surely there were much brighter candidates for this central part?

I just have to mention that Lynn Redgrave played the character of Miss McVane with a quiet rage that played off beautifully. I'm a guy, and I'm here to talk about Chicks, so if I break down, you have to know that Ms Redgrave did something tremendously right. Yes, the little folk has to stand together to have a voice!

And the song at the end just takes the cake! "The Hairy Bird"! I am well rewarded for my steadfast devotion all these years towards wading through everything, including end titles. I pity YES, PITY the lot of you who walked out of the theater or switched off on your rented DVDs because you missed the cherry on top! A hilarious, passion-killing rendition of the woes of an inexperienced young girl expecting a lovely surprise, but instead having to get acquainted with a guy's pecker on the first date on the back seat of his car... (Smaller than a mailbox, but bigger than one of those cocktail thingies...) And how the tables were turned! Ouch! I was out of there like a comet, I guess I slammed the door on it... Tell me, have you heard, how she crushed that Hairy Bird... Gee, that will teach you to switch off immediately!

Let me just say that Kirsten Dunst is oh-so cute, and then there's Monica Keena, the added surprise, she is lovely, ooh yeah. Enough to make hairy birds all over the world wanna dance with 'em. :)

Several Strikes Against It.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
9 September 2015

Strike (1998): Dir: Sarah Kemochan / Cast: Kirsten Dunst, Gaby Hoffmann, Rachel Leigh Cook, Lynn Redgrave, Vincent Kartheiser: Combination of National Lampoon's Animal House and Rock N' Roll High School but lacking the comic wit of both. Title refers to Kirsten Dunst's refusal to change. Hopefully after being part of this film she will require a major change. An all girl school is threatened with the possibility of going co-ed. This threatens misfit Dunst who is often late for classes and sabotages anything she considers a threat. Gaby Hoffmann is the new student who believes that the school should speak out. Vulgar and somewhat sexist with Dunst stashing liquor bottles about a bus and the boys who arrive innocent end up puking on everything. Directed by Sarah Kernochan with some fine location areas. This film is also saddled with several names, which can be a bitch when locating it. Dunst and Hoffmann play opposites but neither character obtains a personality. Dreary supporting work by Rachel Leigh Cook as the standard rival who will stop at nothing to expose Dunst. Lynn Reggrave plays the headmistress who cannot think for herself. She is suppose to be in charge but too often she is taking advice from people who are seen as total morons. Everything seems recycled and terribly dull but its message at least rings true. Strong co-ed theme elevates but the crude humour poise a strike against it. Score: 3 / 10

Classic girl-power movie

Author: JenksAten from United States
14 September 2013

Every single female should watch this movie. It is empowering to watch these girls pull together and 'fight the system' to ensure they receive the best education they can - by using some well planned hi-jinx! Set in the socially turbulent 60's, the girls know that if their school is changed to co-ed, no longer will they focus on learning but on looking cute. through their brilliant and intelligence they foil the plans made by the board of directors to introduce male students into the all-girls school, and manage to make the boys all look like fools and trouble- makers. Though a few of the girls to fall prey to the 'love-bug', they all realize just how crucial their education is to their life-long plans. and nothing is going to stand in their way! you just Have to watch it! it's fun, touching, and as i said, very empowering! :o) Enjoy!

A Chick-flick that us Guys can Like Too!

Author: Ddey65 from United States
8 April 2004

There's much more to this movie than such sitcom catchphrases as "Up your ziggy with a wa-wa brush," and "Masterly." As I said in my comment on "Can't Hardly Wait"(1998) this is the kind of movies that teenagers need, and I didn't just mean teenage boys. Unfortunately, this was in and out of the theaters much too quickly. The only reason I saw it was because it was on Encore as part of a block of movies that were introduced by Alison Sie, who I'd like to thank for letting us know about it. To make matters worse, in order to see the more suggestive and erotic aspects of this movie, you'd have to go to Canada. We Americans are being ripped off.

Our story begins in early 1963, where a Motor-City Maiden named Odette Sinclair(Gabby Hoffman) is determined to lose her virginity, until her mother catches her with a birth-control device and ships her and her horse off to Miss Goddard's School for Girls, an all-girls boarding school, supposedly in Connecticut which she think is "surrounded by high walls and lesbians." The high walls part is right, but the "lesbians,..." you'll find that out later.

While at first she and they want nothing to do with each other, eventually they warm up to her and decide to help her out, by getting her to join an organization called "the Daughters of the American Ravioli." Miss Godard's Girls aren't just "talented and organized," they're the wildest boarding school girls since The Belles of St. Trinian's, and believe it or not, kind of cute too. This is helpful, because they're not afraid of their sexuality and know how to use it to get what the want at a time when girls(especially upper crust ones) were expected to be "prim and proper." The Flat Critters are the geekiest greaser gang ever to grace a period piece movie from the 1950's or early-'60's. And they also become a suprising relief in the face of a potential merger with the St. Ambrose Boys' Academy. St. Ambrose Headmaster Armstrong(Michael J. Reynolds) sounds like the narrator on "Underdog"(1964), and if I had been a kid in that period, I would've sworn he did that on the side. Nevertheless, it's the arrival of the St. Ambrose school for a school dance/test merger that leads to a prank rivaling some of the teen movies of the late-1970's and early-1980's. And when that doesn't work, Odie leads them all on a major student strike!

In defense of us guys, I'd like to point out that when we lust for you women, it's not a conspiracy to drag you down to the bottom of the economic totem pole. It's just a conspiracy to get you into our beds, or get into yours. Perhaps over 20 years ago when I was a teenager I might not have understood the desire to keep such schools separate, but I can see the reasons now. Not that I'm endorsing sexual segregation, mind you. I'm just endorsing this movie.

masterly...

Author: Imogen Forrest from Australia
13 June 2003

This is really great film. I loved that it was set in the sixties, but it's the kind of script that could have been set any time including present day. Anyone thinking of watching it and hasn't, you should go out and hire it.

A Fun, Funny, Feel-Good movie

Author: Casey from New York
2 June 2003

I ALMOST skipped this movie on a shelf at the video store, but I'm glad I didn't because it turned out to be one of my favorites. I was surprised that with it's well-known (and well cast) group of actors it didn't have a bigger release, but it's worth searching out if it's not at your local Blockbuster.

The story takes place in 1963 and revolves around a group of best friends at an all girls boarding school. The girls take place in countless adventures and mis-adventures, determined to get what they want and find ways around the school rules. They have an amazingly tight friendship and find fun and trouble in almost every situation. However, when they find out that they're school is merging with a boys boarding school, they have mixed feelings, but attempt to pull off their craziest scheme yet.

The acting was great, it was full of timely AND timeless humor, and is a fun, feel-good movie. The more I watch it, the more funny moments I find hidden in. It probably won't be the best movie you'll ever see, but it's something everyone (especially teen girls) will enjoy.

A hilarious must-see with an awesome cast.

Author: Count von Groovy from Scottsdale, Arizona
7 June 2002

Hilarious movie with an awesome cast of very funny girls. I love the plot and the funny comments like "up your ziggy with a wa-wa brush!". Rachel Leigh Cook is such funny brown noser and the D.A.R. girls lead the movie's comedy through the whole thing. A must-see for any Rachel Leigh Cook or Kirsten Dunst fan.

Charming movie for girls everywhere!

Author: josie182 from Pennsylvania
9 February 2001

Lately, I've been very disappointed with teen comedies these days, but when I came across 'All I wanna do' (aka Strike!) I was impressed by the cast so I decided to give it a try. I was surprised and delighted to see that 'Strike!' not only has a plot unlike many teen movies today, but doesn't show teen girls in a trashy way using nudity such as movies like 'Road Trip'. The movie actually empowers girls. It's a great flick to watch with a sister or a best friend and I recommend it to anyone who is sick of seeing teenage girls being reduced to trash. Also, the movie has the exceptionally talented Kirsten Dunst who is wonderful. Another person who I thought stood out was Rachel Leigh Cook who did a great job as the snobby miss goody-two shoes.

Required viewing for teenaged girls

Author: Maura Daffern (illusion@interlog.com) from Toronto, Ontario
15 May 1999

I would group this 1998 movie -- along with its fairy tale counterpart "Ever After" -- among the must see movies for teenaged girls. Watching this movie at 25, i wish that it had come out when i was a teenager -- it is an empowering and inspiring movies for girls of all ages.

The movie explores the unique atmosphere of an all girls school in 1963. While a good number of the students dislike the cloistered atmosphere, a few individuals discover that their school is to become co-ed with a well moneyed yet bottom of the barrel boys school.

They become worried -- after all, an all girls school is an excellent place to mature, to become independent and to think on your own without the overpowering and distractive influence of male students. They are afraid that going coed will limit the possibilities for their future. And, it will mean "washing your hair every night, getting up at 6 to push those tits, blitz those zits. When you get to class, only the boys will be called on, but that's okay because you're so tired you can't even think. So you drink nothing but coffee at lunch, but that's okay, because you're on a diet anyways."

So, a small group of girls who definitely do not want to have their dreams squashed lead a rebellion against the oncoming changes.

Over all, this movie is an effective look at the "second curriculum" -- the phenomenon of girls being less assertive, more quiet and more prone to downplaying their intelligent in a coed learning environment. A phenomenon that unfortunately continues to this day.

That's the reason why girls should see this movie -- it could open their eyes to the reality of education systems.

Plus, its tonnes of fun. :)

Standout performances in this movie include Lynn Redgrave as Ms. McVane -- the headmistress of the girls' school. She plays her role with the most perfect combination of school leadership, frustration at the "unfairness of the world", and admiration and love for her empowered students.

Rachael Leigh Cook is also very good as the good-two-shoes student. Prissy, pretty and in the end, defiant -- the role is a good one for her.

Maura's review: 8/10

A cool movie about Girl Power!

Author: liv-4 from Ont, Canada
30 December 1998

I loved this movie, not only because it had a great plot, it had great young actresses playing the lead characters. Each girl's personality was different and everyone had different opinions about the all girls school combining with an all boys school. Filled with lots of funny, poignant moments......a movie you don't wanna miss!

Page 2 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]