IMDb > Godzilla (1998/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Godzilla

Godzilla More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 78: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Very watchable compared to current releases.

Author: kitchenaut-1 from United Kingdom
11 April 2011

Although it's not a particularly thoughtful or artistic film, no sane person expects it to be. It is a competently made and very watchable monster-disaster film, much more so than the voguish Cloverfield, which has stunningly bad characterisation, and a distinct lack of narrative structure. As a film, Cloverfield is woefully underwritten and the monster looks awkward and derivative of the creature in the excellent Host.

The action sequences in Godzilla are far more intricately choreographed, and the monster is more convincingly rendered, which is saying a lot considering the CGI is ten years older, but then a number of modern CG films seem to trade fidelity for hyper-kinesis, so that everything is moving too fast to make out details, which is just conning the audience; there are very few money shots, like the Brachiosaur in Jurassic Park.

There is a corny aspect, but it is charming, and not hopeless hokum, like 2012, which is probably the worst Emmerich film i've seen, and i've seen 10,000 BC.

Like a lot of films of the mid to late nineties, there is assumption that the audience still have a respect for story, and most nineties films of this genre stand up quite well to the dross like the later Star Wars prequels, Transformers, Skyline and Clash of Titans, which have no sense of writing talent behind them, and the characters are just types.

Even the effects of newer films look poor, due to aforementioned hyper-kinesis/ shaky-cam visuals.

Why is it that most modern event movies are so poor on all fronts?

Could Be Worse

Author: gavin6942 from United States
27 May 2014

An enormous, radioactively mutated lizard runs rampant in Manhattan.

This was directed and co-written by Roland Emmerich, best known for directing "Independence Day". Whether or not he is a good director is hard to say, since he spends his time helming large disaster epics that owe more to things blowing up than a serious plot and character development. This is no exception.

James Berardinelli wrote, "Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin's big-budget lizard-stomps-Manhattan disaster flick has been written with the brain dead in mind. The script isn't just 'dumbed down,' it's lobotomized. Godzilla lives and dies on special effects alone."

Indeed, as much as the film was panned by audiences and critics, even earning the Golden Raspberry for worst film of 1998, it also won a positive award: the Saturn Award for special effects. So Berardinelli nails it when he points out the film's strength. That being said, effects alone can never made a film good.

Roger Ebert (who is lampooned in the film) wrote, "One must carefully repress intelligent thought while watching such a film. The movie makes no sense at all except as a careless pastiche of its betters... You have to absorb such a film, not consider it. But my brain rebelled, and insisted on applying logic where it was not welcome." Well played, Ebert.

Way to go Hollywood

Author: ramvan from Michigan, United States
18 November 2006

Japanese Godzilla cannot hold a candle to American version. Special effects and sound bytes are top notch. Maybe a little to graphic for small children. This is a must have movie for Home Theater enthusiasts. Way to go Hollywood. Godzilla purist's may be disappointed with the new and improved Lizard King, but I say to bad. Look at it this way it just may force Japan's movie makers to try and up the ante if they ever decide to resurrect their boy. I give the animators of this movie an "A+" grade for the seemingly real lifelike depiction of their monster. He beats the pants of the original muppet wanna be puppet reptile. I hope that the makers of this flick do decide to outdo themselves with a string of sequels of this new much more truer and believable version of this sci-fi classic.

Worth every second of it!!!

Author: Helen Sjornysk from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 November 2006

The first time I watched this film, it was way back in 1998, when it just got released. I have little memory of it after that, but boy, it had a SUPERB soundtrack! It was the talk of the town Now that i'm watching it for the 2nd time, wow did it blow my mind! 2 words, AWE-SOME!!!! The giant iguana was made more realistic than some of the King Kong's (2006), Spiderman's or Harry Potter's shots. It was 1998, 8 yrs ago!! & roland Emmerich, man, he does some wonders sometimes. Just take a look at ID4, Day after Tomorrow, & i'm a big fan of expensive CGI effects! My only complaint would be, there should be *at least* an A-list actor in a big-budgeted movie. I think that contributes partially to a b.o success, more or less

What I expected is what I got

Author: Thamulus from Europe
6 February 2000

I scored Godzilla 10 out of 10 and let me tell you, why:

First, this is a monsterfilm and what I want from a monsterfilm is a monster and maybe some stupid humans it squeezes. And we've got it.

Second, this is a spectacular film and what I want from a spectacular film is a bunch of monumental scenes made with the latest technics (CGI here), which stick me to the seat. And Godzilla's got lots of them.

I don't know, why do people watch a movie, if they don't like its style in advance and write later stupid reviews comparing the film to completely different ones or expecting things, which are absolutely not the part of that type of movie (like here criticizing the actors).

So if you like spectacular monsterfilms, Godzilla is your film! And you'll get the actual level of CGI animation in '98.

Good entertainment

Author: Rob Hartill from South Wales, UK
23 November 1998

Hey, it's a monster flick not Cassablanca. I thoroughly enjoyed Godzilla on DVD. I don't know what disappointed viewers thought they were going to get, perhaps the big fella doing some Shakespeare?

Great movie

Author: Milo-16 from Gaithersburg MD
17 November 1998

This movie was everything I expected it to be and more. The plot was exellent. A real hit. But I must ask why almost every movie that came out this year, including this one, had to involve romance to some extent. Is this a Sci-fi movie or a love story? Since the first time I saw this movie on the big screen, I asked my friend that question. Why does this guy's past love life have to be brought in to this movie? Maybe love is supposed to make the movie more interesting, I don't know. But obviously is has become very popular in the movie industy. I think this movie should get a 9.

Overall awesome family entertainment!

Author: MissLinda13 from United States
15 August 2010

This movie is awesome! It is the most realistic version of all the Godzilla movies that I have viewed. It really makes you think about what the world would be like if an incident such as this were to actually happen. How would our present-day government and military officials handle a situation of such gigantic proportions! Would they even believe that such a creature actually exists or would they prefer to keep everything hush-hush until it's too late? What would be their strategy to safely evacuate a large city such as New York or California, and how would they go about removing the threat? What I would really like to know is, if there is a equally realistic sequel to this one?

Is Great

Author: soumikbanerjee8 from India
5 October 2009

I first saw the unending movie when I was 4.When I was 4 I was always fond of Dinosaurs & was quite excited to watch this one. But when I saw this I was terrified out of my crap. Godzilla's huge size was the most horrific sight. I could of course understand the story since I was young & was only fond of the movie because there was the huge beast. But when saw it 7 years later in Hindi version, I completely enjoyed it. I also understood the whole story. It was marvelous. The things I liked: 1.The sinking of the fishing ship. 2.Dr. Nick singing the song:"I'm singing in the rain" 3."It's Tattopolus" 4.Godzilla's first appearance. 5.Dr. Nick standing on the footprint. 6.The climax where Philip(Mr. French) drove boldly & Dr. Nick gave a nice shock in the beast's mouth. 7.O'neil's action. Roland Emmerich should be given credit for making the film a must watch. I now have DVD of the movie. I had read the subtitles from which told the quotes in no.2 & 3. Movie people, please watch the film, It's great.

Emiliano Primiterra

Author: Human_nature1820
12 March 2008

I don't understand yet why the product company did not create a second part of this film... some of us, (people who saw the movie) wished, at the end of it, that, in some way, it continues. The egg at the end of the story is a kind of misunderstanding end, that made that people like me, hated Godzilla only because it has not a second part... I now that Goszilla was a wasted of time and money, but the company did not think about there fans. I am very angry with answer in hands of the company which put his money in it. For me, it is a joke, it is not funny that i do not know what the story continues.

Thank you very much!