IMDb > Gods and Monsters (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Gods and Monsters

Gods and Monsters More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 23: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

They'll love it in Pomona

Author: Mikey-114 from London, England
24 October 2000

Shades of Sunset Boulevard (not that there is anything wrong with that,) a wonderful film about both growing old and being gay. Ian McKellen is of course peerless, both funny and incomparably touching as Whale. Sterling work also from Fraser and Redgrave, not to mention Condon and cinematographer Katz. Watch it again.

Simply Beautiful

Author: (bc_diva@hotmail.com) from Canada
29 August 2000

Having read comments posted by others, I'll be short and spare you the inevitable retelling of what everyone else has said. Instead, I'll point out that what surprised me was the adaptation of the book. A wonderful job was done, all the tones were captured masterfully from the novel and brought to the screen. McKellan and (especially) Fraser were magnificent, and showed depth truly from the book. (Redgrave was great as well, but I cannot compare her character to the one in the book, as it has been changed.)

At least, it is the best of Hollywood features.

Author: dswmovie from Hong Kong
4 August 2000

I have viewed this film. I think Brendan Fraser played very well here. Apart from "With Honors", he finally make another serious film. The topic is sensitive. For some actors, they may easily spoil it. Thanks Ian, he leads in a sound way that made his opposite (i.e. Brendan) had a good sense of his part.

However, Edmund Kay, the journalist and Hannah (Lynn), the maid were the most outstanding ones. The former appeared just for a few minutes but he would surely steal you to see him acting while Lynn knew the way she could truly show off her nervous thoughts.

That's the most important point why I will strongly recommend you to see the film.

Of course, the plot is wonderful, too. Don't you think so?

-- Dave Duncan

thank you,IMDB, for my finding this unforgetttable film

Author: (sacha_moggy@yahoo.com) from new york, n.y.
10 July 2000

this film was in tv listing, looked it up on IMDB. Didn't expect much with title like Gods and Monsters. When I saw high ratings and fantastic reviews, I gave it a try and saw one of the most memorable films ever.Ian McKellen is better than *all* the Oscar winnners; and entire cast is superb. See it.

McKellen is brilliant!

Author: AKS-6 from Sweden
26 May 2000

What's best about this film is, of course, Ian McKellen's brilliant acting. One of the best performances of the 90s, I must say. Absolutely awe-inspiring. I was also surprised that Brendan Fraser (who wasn't particularly good in the very silly film "The Mummy") actually can act. Of course, he wasn't nearly as brilliant as McKellen, but he did a fine job. The film itself was unlike any film I've ever seen, quite poetic and very interesting. Recommended.

fascinating

Author: Steve Baker (s.baker@iig.com.au) from Cairns Australia
26 March 2000

Gods And Monsters is a rich, perceptive film full of delights. It above all recognises and revels in the complicated, shades of grey, people we all are. Some movies manage to winkle out the wrinkles, most don't even bother to try. Gods And Monsters slips bitter sweetly into the human condition.

James Whale was a movie director who's greatest triumphs were Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein which were made in the mid 1930's. Skip to 1957. Whale (Ian McKellen) has had a stroke and has been beset with flashbacks to his younger years. War time horrors, his films and a love affair he had with another soldier in the trenches begins to intrude into his world.

His monsters, particularly Frankenstein's monster played by Boris Karlof starts to inhabit his waking dreams. His loved one David, (a God?) stands watching. James Whale is close to death.

He invites the gardener Clayton (Brendan Fraser) in and asks him to sit for a portrait. Clayton is homophobic, working class and at one of life's loose ends. Whale wants to talk and Clayton, fascinated by the stories, is prepared to listen.

So two complex characters interact, heightened by terrific performances from McKellen and Fraser as well as from Academy Award nominated Lynn Redgrave as the disapproving, loving, long term housekeeper for Whaley.

I'm sure that Judi Dench who won the gong over Lynn Redgrave agrees that Hanna rather than Dench's Queen Lizzie should have been honoured.

The photography from Stephen M. Katz is outstanding as is the music from Carter Burwell. Lolita Davidovitch as Clayton's girlfriend and Jack Plotnick as the film buff are memorable. The direction and screenplay from Bill Condon is superb. We have here a thought provoking, thoroughly delightful film.

great movie about human relationships

Author: dalek69 from Tilburg, The Netherlands
16 March 2000

G.a.M. is a well written and well delivered story that captures the heart, is all about human relationships and emotions, and also looks upon homosexuality in a very human way. Performances are very good, emotions put across are believable and touching. Brendan Fraser is excellent, so is Ian McKellen. This is a movie that leaves you thinking about it after it has finished. In my opinion definitely one to watch, if you're into "intelligent" films!!!

Great.

Author: eugine onegin
14 February 2000

Lately, I've been just watching all kinds of movies there are, from westerns to whatever, greats to epics.

This movie I was not very eager to see, at the time I couldn't stand someone even mention Brendan Fraser, so, him being in it, you'd understand. However, I got around to renting it, after sometime and seeing how it was on the top 250 charts.

Everything from the cinematography, to acting, to the feel of the movie is great, I felt connected to the characters, Ian McKellen gives a powerfull performance that is just, the best I've seen. Bredan is ok, performs like he should in the role.

There is so much that is in it, the story, which gives emotion to the movie, it's all very real, and exciting. It centers around James Whale, of whom I didn't know a lot about, and his friendship with Clayton Boone, who is the yardman.

I still don't know what is it about it, that I concider so great, but I just love it. And consider it one of my favorite movies.

Quite Possibly One of the Best Films I've Ever Seen

Author: savanna-2 from USA
23 January 2000

I watched this movie with much anticipation. Being a fan of the three leads (Sir Ian McKellen, Brendan Fraser, Lynn Redgrave) didn't hurt, but was quite unnecessary to find this a wonderful film. If it were food, "scrumptious" comes to mind. From the sumptuous scenery, terrific writing, and elegant performances, this is the "little movie that could."

A very human look into the life of a Hollywood icon, James Whale. The performances are so easy and subtle, you forget quickly that you aren't watching the actual people this movie is based on. To top it off, it holds up well upon repeated viewing.

The very real subject matters are handled with such care and attention to detail, that the movie never slips into another tawdry tale of debauchery and excess. Five stars all the way.

*** out of ****; Grade: B

Author: J-Crew (jms7@po.cwru.edu)
19 January 2000

Soft, elegiac film about the last days of Hollywood director James Whale and the loves (film, men, art) that have drifted in and out of his life right up to his suicide. Well-made film is uneven and occasionally inexplicable in some of its flashback and fantasy scenes, and McKellan is a little over-the-top. However, Fraser and Redgrave acquit themselves very nicely, and the film is ultimately a heartbreaking account of endless longing.