IMDb > Eye of the Beholder (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Eye of the Beholder

Eye of the Beholder More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 42: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

A really personalised psychological drama/thriller.

Author: Darth_Stat from Australia
5 August 2001

A man is receded at his work and appropriately his work is constantly being on the streets or the road. His wife left him years ago taking his daughter with her. In torturous grievance he searched for them for seven years with no success Due to a personal weakness he is unable to adjust to the loss and conjures up an ever present apparition of his daughter that constantly communicates to him behaving in that annoying child way all the time.

He is one day assigned to follow a politicians son who is suspected of having an affair. One of the politician guys flings suddenly turns into his own gorey murder and he follows the murderess who uses her sex appeal to her advantage on a serial killing across the US. He pursues her on the road photographing incidents but not reporting them. In some bizarre way he finds himself attracted to the woman, he is too fearfull and in awe to approach her but too attracted and dazzled to leave her trail or allow her to be captured, he rapidly plumets down the pit of insanity in his pursuit as he trades the obcession of his lost daughter for the obcession of pursuing this erotic murderess. Throughout the movie he experiences many intense drives and following the death of a man the murderess sought to marry she leaves her spree seeking only to evade pursuers from the law, Ewan becomes her unseen benefactor in this endeavour. The conclusion is unsettling but sticks with the mood of the film.

Definitely not for the light hearted film goer, this is somewhat a thesis on insanity, causes, forms and resolutions. If psychological depths like that are not your forte then avoid it, that will exclude 90% of the global audience, everyone else, this is somewhat disjointedly touching and occasionally shocking. It was never intended to be a money making entertainment piece, but it is still entertaining as a narrative. As a psychological thriller. 7.5/10

** 1/2 Incomprehensible thriller

Author: Bil-3 from Toronto, Ontario
18 May 2001

Incomprehensible thriller that has its stylish moments for the most part is just too silly for words. Ashley Judd is her usual gorgeous self as a psychopathic killer who is being stalked by an obsessed Ewan McGregor. First he wants to catch her, but soon finds himself falling in love with her and tries as much as he can to protect her. The studios were so embarrassed about this film they tried to let it go unreleased, but following the box office success of Star Wars for McGregor and Double Jeopardy they figured it was a good idea to put this out in theatres. The film took number one in its first week but quickly dwindled after that. Genevieve Bujold is excellent in a supporting role.

A puzzler...

Author: LazyAndy from London, England
8 May 2001

It's often I don't know what to make of a film, but this one takes the biscuit.

When it ended, I felt cheated. Too many unanswered questions, no real conclusion. However, having thought about it since, it's dawned on me that a second viewing is definitely needed to fully appreciate it.

Having read the other reviews here, I found I was siding with both those who liked it, and those who didn't. Not being a fan of the formulaic Hollywood tripe, this is a film that I really want to like, because in parts it is truly fantastic. It makes you think, which is maybe why a lot of people don't like it. It was just that the overall package seemed to be lacking something, but I don't know what.

I intend to watch this again, because I feel that I may have missed certain subtleties.

I've not had a film linger in my mind like this since Blair Witch, but for different reasons.

Don't dismiss it too quickly!

Author: kalex from Detroit, MI
15 April 2001

Sure, it's a strange film. Nope, it doesn't follow formulaic, traditional elements or expectations of plot and "character development". Like a LOT of great films! OK, this isn't Shakespeare! Very dark, very fantastic (a la Todorov) Lots of "visual" stuff, but nothing as nutty as "Natural Born Killers," or as gory as "Pulp Fiction." You WON'T be bored. You WILL want to watch it a second time. Obsession. Delusion. High-tech. Serial killer. Changing settings. Sexy (Ashley Judd as you've never seen her, for God's sake). K.D. Lang has a terrific role. Some people might call it artsy-fartsy. If you're old enough (sorry!), compare it to "Blow Up" (the original, from the late sixties, with David Hemmings and Vanessa Redgrave). Blow-Up was based on a detached observation of one dark incident through the lens of a 35mm camera. "Beholder" is a voyeuristic SEQUENCE of observations by an obsessed man with all kinds of high-tech equipment of a female serial killer with whom he is utterly, totally consumed. Can you tell? I LIKED it! But then, maybe I'M deranged and obsessed, too!

Pleasantly surprised

Author: MicoP from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
22 January 2001

I rented this movie not because I thought it would be good but because I love Ewan McGregor and will see anything he is in. In truth, I expected this movie to be your typical, brainless action movie and nothing more. I was pleasantly surprised. This movie was a strange blend of action and art. You're never really sure who the protagonist is. Is is the femme fatale/damsel in distress? The misanthropic secret agent with a knight in shining armor complex and a delightful assortment of technological wonders with which to track his prey? Is it kd lang? We just don't know. I found the cinematography to be just breathtaking, especially the transitions from location to location using the snow globes. There is one shot in particular you should look for: the two main characters in adjoining bathrooms. I won't say any more, but it's incredible.

The movie's main failing point is that not much is resolved. This is a common feature of quirky, dark films such as this one, and it is a feature I do not care for. The main plot is resolved (I won't say how), but you're not sure quite why things happen as they do. Many of the subplots are dropped entirely from the latter parts of the movie, which was quite disappointing. Other than that, I found this movie to be highly underrated and actually quite enjoyable.

Check out an earlier (and better) version of the same novel

Author: Aliendan from London
2 January 2001

Like many of you I thought Eye of the Beholder was a failure, albeit an interesting one.

'Mortelle Randonee' (1983 aka Deadly Circuit) is an earlier adaptation of the same novel. This French film stars Isabelle Adjani and Michel Serrault and although it is quite a while since I saw it, I remember it as being equally mysterious though considerably less tedious.

Visually gorgeous, plot very much lacking

Author: Joshua Bozeman from Evansville, Indiana
19 November 2000

A quick note to the anyone who says people who do not understand the plot are basically stupid and can only understand films when the plot is spoon fed. Get real! Don't insult people, because you think you're more sophisticated than everyone else. You know why the movie's plot was confusing? Because it didn't make sense, that's why. A lot of people made comments acting as tho they knew what the entire movie was about and you have to be a fan of true film to understand it. It just isn't so. The plot was a mess with holes big enough to drive a semi thru. I think the director had a script that didn't have much plot to it, and it didn't make sense, but he turned it into a film that is somewhat dull on the story side, but very interesting when it comes to the characters. I think he also went to a lot of trouble when it comes to the cinematography which is just stunning in so many ways. The special effects that went from snow globe to the next scene were wonderful to look at, and it went a long way to save the film overall. A lot of people will dislike this movie, because the characters are so unlike anyone they probably know. I surely have never known anyone even closely related to the two main characters in the movie.

Tho the story is confused and lacking in true substance, the characters are exciting enough to watch without much of a real plot. It seems to be ok that there is little more than the two characters and the sometimes slow paced, sometimes boring scenes they make their way thru. It's nice to just watch them interact, tho they never really do in any solid way until the end of the movie. Tho, not for the story, I would recommend this movie on it's visual merit alone. It is very much stunning in so many places, and that alone kept my attention. Some might agree, some might disagree, but that's how I see it.

Not as bad as everyone makes out...i quite enjoyed it

Author: Jamie (casper-5) from Australia
7 October 2000

Altho i missed the first 5 minutes of the flick, i enjoyed it quite a lot; more for the fact that both characters are so totally screwed up and find a little of what they need to survive in each other. Cinema snobs may well hate it,...i dont think this is a stinker, true, its not high cinema, but at face value i found my self taken in by the desperation of both characters and the hopeless spiral that they are caught in...

maybe because i have suffered similar losses that i could relate to the leads, anyway...the ending was not Hollywood, so thats got to be a bonus.

Maybe there was some heavy handed editing that might account for the holes in the story etc, but overall id recommend it for a look.

Bad Movie. Good Soundtrack/Score.

Author: seanrox from Atlanta
4 July 2000

Proof that even with two great actors can't support a terrible screenplay. Despite the fact I fell asleep during part of the story, I did enjoy the score/soundtrack... too bad it's not available on CD. The instrumentation was ear candy and I believe that was Chrissy Hind(s) on the vocals on the last song of the movie.

They said it was bad,but...

Author: (Bridget-3) from Sacramento CA
3 July 2000

Ewan McGregor and Ashley Judd should be locked in a small room and made to watch this over and over. Maybe then, the both of them will come to their senses,and quit throwing away their considerable talents. This is the worst movie made with decent stars and budget I have ever seen.I saw a few reviews before I rented it, but couldn't believe it would be that bad. It could. Paint your toenails, meditate, take a nap, anything but watch this.