IMDb > Eye of the Beholder (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Eye of the Beholder

Eye of the Beholder More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 42: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Be smart, skip this one...

Author: dieguy
20 June 2000

This might be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I really love the thriller genre, and this was billed as being of that, however with so many loose ends, and unexplained happenings, I really don't know what you would call this mess. Do yourself a favor and leave it on the shelf!!

This was a freakin' dog!

Author: jlshoem
11 June 2000

What a dog. I kept wondering if it had a surprise ending. Wrong. It didn't have anything. Nothing. A couple of hours of my freakin' life gone forever, for nothing. My wife fell asleep and I wish I had joined her.

What a mess.

Author: Chris Townsend from Branford, CT
3 June 2000

I am so glad that I rented rather than bought this title. One of the most incoherent films I have seen in a long time. What plot there is comes in clumps that do not have rhyme nor reason. I never felt connected to anything that was going on in this movie or had any feelings at all towards any of the characters. Strongly advise K.D. Lang sticks with singing.

Could of been good

Author: (john@homepcexpert.com) from Florida
31 May 2000

This movie had the makens of being great, but for the lack of directing. The worst thing about the movie is you never find out what was happening and why. Without spoiling the ending, lets say the never make it clear what happen , good or bad. I left the movie the same way I enter not knowing anything about the movie itself.

I don't know why you did not like it !!!!!

Author: Karl Laurin from Valleyfield, Québec
24 May 2000

Eye of the Beholder is one of my biggest surprises of this years. The film's editor did an incredible job just like DePalma's style. I don't know why you people and critics did not like it but me, I loved it.

I give it **** out of *****

Stylish, modern, excellent

Author: firstborn1492 from Ottawa, Canada
20 May 2000

I don't have much to say about this film, but I can say that it was like a breath of fresh air in a genre of pseudo thought provoking movies. Highly visual, stylish, and modern... The soundtrack work with the film and not just worked as background noise. Ewan further proves himself to be an accomplished actor, and Judd was very convincing as well. A beautiful and tragic love story which takes the form of obsession yet doesn't instantly don the cloak of perversity. A definite must see.

What the hell was that?

Author: Doug-135
9 May 2000

I've heard of films being shot before the final script is done, but usually by the time they shoot the ending, they have their script. It didn't happen in this movie. It just ends. Even overlooking the obvious holes and messy sub-plots, this movie was a big waste of time, and a Rolls Royce.

It's a pity that so many people didn't appreciate this one

Author: Alex77 (nat415@cityline.ru) from Moscow, Russia
4 April 2000

It's a pity that so many people didn't appreciate this picture. Mostly, because of the wrong premise that "Eye of the Beholder" is a simple genre movie. In fact, this is a great love story, maybe even one of the greatest existential movies ever (I'm sorry, usually I'm not so pompous, but i just saw this picture and still under impression). It's not about some strange girl, who kills people, and not about a private eye or a sleuth who tries to expose her, and not even about k.d.lang, who tries to look like miss Moneypenny. This is a mysterious film about a mysterious emotion - about a great obsession, about "amok" (do Stephan Elliot ever read Stephan Zweig?). Anyway, people "Look closer"! (I'm sorry again - I forgot that this phrase is sacred). Don't you see - there's so many references to Hitchcock's Vertigo, to the best works of Brian De Palma (in the small role - Genevieve Bujold from his "Obsession" which is also a tribute to Hitchcock). It reminds me of a great "Don't Look Now". I even think that this is everything Wim Wenders' "End of Violence" and "Until the End of the World" wanted to be, but wasn't. And, hey, don't tell me that Wenders is genius, and Stephan Elliot is not. I knew that Wenders is great & unique art-house guru, but Elliot is also a cult. And you know what? There was a couple of years ago a little-seen Spanish movie "Los Amantes del Circulo Polar" (Lovers of the Pole Circle) by Julio Medem. There's also exist for me some kind of emotional resemblance between these two movies, especially at the end. Anyway - Eye of the Beholder is one of the greatest movies ever about a wild and mysterious obsession.

Can't you enjoy the mood?

Author: mmr07 from Lebanon
16 March 2004

This maybe the most technically artistic movie I've ever seen, the story is vague but thats the beauty of the movie. I salute Mr. Stephen Elliott for his wonderful vision, he puts the camera always in the right place, which brings you to the title of the movie "Eye of the Beholder", the editing is supernatural, where he mixes scenes instead of suddenly cutting to the other scene which at times takes your breath away.

I have to call attention to the soundtrack, the music is haunting and always sets the mood for a new scene and location, the movie by the way has many locations and the scenes are introduced by the Snow globes of the destination cities and a great Sky overview of a landmark of each city.

I don't know why imdb reviewrs slammed this movie with a 4.4, I don't know what I missed or didn't miss!!, I greatly enjoyed watching it from every aspect and would watch it over and over whenever it is aired. Casting Ashly Judd was perfect, she had the right age, the right expressions of a psychologically troubled character, the Ewan McGregor character also was right on the notch where he suffers the loss of his family and where he tries to compensate his carelessness towards his family by looking after a "Emotionally Helpless" total stranger.

Some people talked about the strange ending, the ending was logical and couldn't be otherwise, I won't put any spoilers, I just advise the people who badly commented on this movie to immerse into the emotions and into the characters and their facial expressions and see what they have missed.

I'm defenitely getting this on DVD, it is a feast to the eyes (Again the title) with an intelligent director and a haunting story. 8/10

Worst movie of all time.

Author: atmiller from New Orleans, Louisiana
13 November 2014

Worse than Manos: The Hand of Fate.

Worse than Santa Claus Conquers the Men from Mars.

Worse than Star Wars: The Phantom Menace.

I understood this movie perfectly well, and I want my hours back. I want the cells of my brain containing and surrounding the memory of the time I spent watching this giant snooze-fest to be bleached into oblivion. The ONLY film that can make a scantily clad Ashley Judd seem like a hellish nightmare of tedium to "behold".

If you can imagine a movie based upon a single-cell organism as watched through the lens of a microscope, blundering around aimlessly eating other single-celled organisms for no apparent reason, and the person looking through the scope having pointless personal problems grafted ham-handedly on top of it, then go into space, find the nearest black hole, and just watch it as time expands and stretches your suffering into the infinite... THAT would be better than "Eye of the Beholder".

My wife and I were two of the FIVE people who entered the theater to watch this film, and we were the only ONES there when it was finally, FINALLY over. The theater attendant greeted us as we left with an apology and complimentary tickets for a different film.

What they SHOULD have done was ignored dreaded causality loops and given us a time machine so we could warn our past selves not to see this film at ALL COSTS!

If you hate yourself, you'll love to torture yourself with this film. Enjoy.