IMDb > Eye of the Beholder (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Eye of the Beholder

Eye of the Beholder More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 42: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

greatness

Author: creagcridhe from United States
28 November 2012

This is one of my "great movies of all time". It just works. A father obsessed with a daughter, a daughter obsessed with a father, and the actors totally sold it. I read the book, and watched this numerous times and I can tell you, this is one of the few times a movie not only captured the spirit of the book but surpassed it. This movie is a testament to Ashley Judd and Ewan McGregor and their acting ability. I was on the edge of my chair the entire time I watched this movie. If I find this movie in the $5 bin anywhere I by all the copies because I can't exist in a world where this movie is placed beside B movies. Kudos to the director and everyone involved in this movie, you created a masterpiece.

What is so awful? Judd shines again!

Author: Nylind from Boston, MA
5 November 2004

Look this movie gets a lot of crap...

Here in America, for those in other countries, Enertainment Weekly said only fans of Judd and McGregor would like this movie. This is probably true because on the surface it is a bad film.

However the director's commentary shed light on the production of this essentially independent film. I have much respect for this film based solely on the fact that it was made on a shoe string budget. It is a real triumpth for independent filmmakers like myself that films like this, monster, and garden state can make great films on small budgets or after a hard time finding funding like this film.

Ashley Judd is very sexy to start with, but in this film there is something hot about her changing her appearance to avoid detection from Mcgregor's British intelligence agent. Ashley as a blond, Ashley as a red head, Ashley with her naturally brown hair, and hot in any disguise. Judd has the ability to shine in the smallest film roles, this film is an overlooked great indie film.

Can't you enjoy the mood?

Author: mmr07 from Lebanon
16 March 2004

This maybe the most technically artistic movie I've ever seen, the story is vague but thats the beauty of the movie. I salute Mr. Stephen Elliott for his wonderful vision, he puts the camera always in the right place, which brings you to the title of the movie "Eye of the Beholder", the editing is supernatural, where he mixes scenes instead of suddenly cutting to the other scene which at times takes your breath away.

I have to call attention to the soundtrack, the music is haunting and always sets the mood for a new scene and location, the movie by the way has many locations and the scenes are introduced by the Snow globes of the destination cities and a great Sky overview of a landmark of each city.

I don't know why imdb reviewrs slammed this movie with a 4.4, I don't know what I missed or didn't miss!!, I greatly enjoyed watching it from every aspect and would watch it over and over whenever it is aired. Casting Ashly Judd was perfect, she had the right age, the right expressions of a psychologically troubled character, the Ewan McGregor character also was right on the notch where he suffers the loss of his family and where he tries to compensate his carelessness towards his family by looking after a "Emotionally Helpless" total stranger.

Some people talked about the strange ending, the ending was logical and couldn't be otherwise, I won't put any spoilers, I just advise the people who badly commented on this movie to immerse into the emotions and into the characters and their facial expressions and see what they have missed.

I'm defenitely getting this on DVD, it is a feast to the eyes (Again the title) with an intelligent director and a haunting story. 8/10

Amazing thriller

Author: amanfigo from San Miguel de Salinas (SPAIN)
12 February 2003

The movie of Stephan Elliot is a strange thriller that begins with the "crazy" spy pursuing a dangerous criminal and it finishes being as her bodyguard which cannot admit him the love that feels toward her. Good movie that, with an excellent script, he/she tries to get us the attention about the loves Platonists, of what would happen if we are not able to make it front and what happens when we act too much late. For a lot of people this movie is bad, but I believe that Eye of the Beholder apart from entertainment takes an important message transforming to this movie into the best adaptation of the book of Marc Behm.

Great work of the managing Stephan Elliot and a good interpretation of Ashley Judd. Ewan McGregor makes a great paper main character demonstrating that he is a great actor and that he knows how to make many more things apart from being the young Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Total crap

Author: geddyneilalex28 from United States
6 April 2016

This movie is complete and total crap. There is no hidden meaning, it isn't high brow art that it is misunderstood, it just plain sucks. The film doesn't seem to know what it wants to be, and the acting is terrible. The actors are good, they just have nothing to work with here. The scenes are just cobbled together and most, if not all, the characters have no dimension, no depth, and no motivation. The actors are forced to just phone it in, and the blame is not theirs. Comcast streams it for free, so after watching Kiss the Girls, my wife (who had not seen KtG) suggested we watch another Judd film. We picked this one, and that was a major mistake. Save yourself and avoid our error, don't waste your time!

Close but not quite (Might contain spoilers)

Author: BridgetJonesChick (eabest@bgnet.bgsu.edu)
18 December 2001

This film was odd. I thought in general the performances were pretty good (except maybe for the very not 90210 appearence of Jason Presley). For the first 1 and a half i was really into the story and i loved the inclusion of Ewan McGregors "little girl". I was really rather intersted by the whole thing until the end. The end pretty much ruined the rest of the movie for me. I was expecting an exciting or at least a good ending but this ending really bombed. I would recommend that those who want a better thriller should possibly try Nightwatch also staring Ewan McGregor which isn't wonderful but it is certainly better then Eye of the Beholder.

Worth a look for McGregor or Judd fans...

Author: Calerganio from London, England
5 November 2001

If I'm being honest this is not the best film I've ever watched, but certainly not the worst either.

The plot idea in general is an interesting one and has been used to good effect in previous films.

Ironically, I can't fault the casting of the central characters, with both Judd and McGregor being very capable actors. Likewise, the script is well written.

The film faults lie instead with the general storytelling.

We are given small glimpses of the back stories of the two central characters, but then left hanging. I would have like to have seen more. What brought these two people to the point they are. The stories we are given just don't quite seem to fit and aren't fleshed out enough. Although we have a flashback into Joanna's life we don't get one into 'The eye's'.

'The eye's' hallucinations of his lost daughter are an interesting conception that is, unfortunately, never fully realised or explained. As is Eris' story about her father.

The films ending is its biggest let down. Although there is only one way a film like this could end, I would have liked to have seen a more poignant one. Instead it fell flat and left me with a 'Is that it?' feeling.

A high point would have to be K D Lang's character which added some humour to the proceedings but again, it was just a fleeting glimpse.

All in all, I would probably recommend this film for two reasons only, McGregor and Judd. I think McGregor gives an heartfelt and understated performance, which is wholly believable. Judd too, is good in her role and makes the most of it, but I have seen both actors in much better films.

Its just a pity this film wasn't fleshed out a bit more.

A good idea, but falling short of the mark.

Not that bad at all

Author: SkinnerSan from Houston, Texas
6 September 2001

I don't know what all the critical fuss is about. This movie has some of the most imaginative direction I have ever seen. It is unconventional, to be sure, but it is not terrible. I think that most of the negative reviews you will read about this flick are from people expecting a Hollywood film, with a traditional love interest, a chase scene, and blood and gore.

Beauty is in the Eye Of The Beholder

Author: caitylin (caity178@aol.com) from Seattle
22 August 2001

I read a lot of really upsetting comments but my Mother always said people have a right to have their own crazy opinions. I thought this movie was definitely worth watching if you don't mind using your brain once in a while. It's not just another movie that you sit through so you don't have to think. I didn't read the book but I am definitely going to after seeing this movie. I don't know where everyone got the impression that Ashley Judd's character is a serial killer. Maybe spoilers...

The audience only sees her kill three men. Two of them approached her (the officer and the man on the train) so those weren't planned. Serial killers are usually more about routine.

But anyway that's not the point that was just one thing I liked about the movie. You think about things like that. I think this movie is worth watching. Jason Priestly and the trunk made me laugh. If you're fan of any of the lead actors or even if you aren't this movie is NOT a waste of time.

confusing

Author: mattkratz (themattk@hotmail.com) from Richardson, TX
16 August 2001

This movie left me scratching my head, trying to make sense of things. The book wasn't bad, but the movie seemed muddled and too odd as a detective trails a female serial killer. There are confusing allusions to his daughter and confusing chase scenes. I'm still not sure how to describe the majority of it.

** out of ****