IMDb > Enemy of the State (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Enemy of the State

Enemy of the State More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 42: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Solid

Author: Chris L from France
7 April 2013

If there is one undeniable thing about Enemy Of The State, it's the sustained pace it unfolds in: no timeouts, the scenes flow together really fast, so it is quite hard to get bored.

The premise is somewhat rather classic but one gets easily carried away by the plot, thanks mostly to the dynamism. Everyone portrayed their character well and the direction was pretty good. However, one could deplore the messy outcome, and the fact that the movie relies a bit too much on obvious convenient elements, sometimes little credible, especially regarding all the technological aspect.

Enemy Of The State is an effective action/spy movie which, besides his first layer, also arouses interesting questions on matters that can always resonate.

A brilliant gripping action drama

Author: Lost in Film UK from United Kingdom
15 February 2013

Story/Plot - The NSA has assassinated a congressman and is unexpectedly caught on tape. Unfortunately for the recorder the NSA is after him to destroy this tape. Robert Dean (Smith) is a gentle tempered lawyer who unwittingly is thrown into the NSA's path when the memory card holding the evidence is placed on him. Robert's life is thrown into turmoil when he loses his wife and his job. He runs into a man nicknamed Brill. Together they find a way to bring the corrupt agents of the NSA down and get Robert's life back on track.

My verdict - A brilliant gripping action drama. The story line is written to perfection and suits Will Smith perfectly.

Great Enemy-Enemy of the State ***1/2

Author: edwagreen from United States
11 January 2013

Fast paced action thriller with Will Smith as a high-powered attorney who meets up with a fellow college mate who is running from an organization that has killed a congressman (Jason Robards) due to his refusal to support their bill in congress. The bill would really invade the privacy of all Americans.

The group, thinking that Smith has received a copy taken by the person showing the killing of Robards, begins a systematic destruction of his life at all levels-his marriage, bank accounts, position in the law firm, a possible affair, etc.

The film shows how Smith eventually fights to get his life back.

Gene Hackman enters the film late and at first you're confused with his character but it's all understanding when the full story comes out.

As Smith's wife, Regina King is excellent, especially with her outbursts when it appears that Smith has had an affair.

An Action Thriller That Tackles The Individual's Right

Author: Desertman84 from United States
2 October 2012

The action producing-directing team of Jerry Bruckheimer and Tony Scott is back with another thrill-a-minute ride called Enemy of the State.It is a spy-thriller about a group of rogue NSA agents who kill a US Congressman and try to cover up the murder.It stars Will Smith and Gene Hackman, with Jon Voight, Lisa Bonet, and Regina King in supporting roles. The film was written by David Marconi and directed by Tony Scott.

Robert Clayton Dean is a lawyer with a wife and family whose happily normal life is turned upside down after a chance meeting with a college buddy at a lingerie shop. Unbeknownst to the lawyer, he's just been burdened with a videotape of a congressman's assassination. Hot on the tail of this tape is a ruthless group of National Security Agents commanded by a belligerently ambitious fed named Reynolds. Using surveillance from satellites, bugs, and other sophisticated snooping devices, the NSA infiltrates every facet of Dean's existence, tracing each physical and digital footprint he leaves. Driven by acute paranoia, Dean enlists the help of a clandestine former NSA operative named Bril.

The film is an action adventure first and foremost, and once we absorb that notion, it turns into a satisfying thriller.But nevertheless,it's good to see an action thriller have a story that has some real meaning and issues that may open quite a few eyes to the fragility of the rights of the individual in a world where things are moving too fast to control.And it definitely satisfies needs of those who crave for quality entertainment as much as the needs of those who like some food for thought.Obviously,Tony Scott on solid form and Will Smith confirming his action headliner status in it.

Will Smith & Gene Hackman is enough but this is actually an amazing film too.

Author: MickyBurns from United Kingdom
28 August 2012

I only ever feel really bothered to review films that I think are truly brilliant and this is no exception. It is a lot more real and true than most people would think or have you believe. I watched a documentary recently about surveillance systems around the world and apparently the things that are used nowadays and are supposed to be new were actually made 40 years ago. That being said everything in this film I could imagine will most likely be very possible, weather its is being used today by governments is a different matter but if I had to say I would guess it is. I don't want to say much about the film it's self but it has got one of the best ending's to a film I have ever seen and even though it's on for just over 2 hours it feels like a 90 minute film. The story has everything you need in a thriller and has moments of humor as you would expect from Will Smith. It also has probably my favorite quote ever in film spoken by Gene Hackman about gorilla warfare and how to use your weakness' as strength's. All in all I just love this film and watched it again yesterday for the first time in about 3 years, and even though I have now seen it around about 10 time's it just seems to get better and better every time. Brilliant film, brilliant acting, brilliant story, AMAZING ending and truer to reality than you would like to think.

Enthralling and captivating...

Author: Andy Steel
26 August 2012

A very slick production with some great touches; I particularly like the way street cameras and satellite images are used to link certain scenes. A very clever use of the available technology. I know it may have been a little advanced for its day, but its well within the realms of possibility today. As far as performances go, well Will Smith did a decent job as Robert Clayton Dean; the usual wise-cracks, but also some nice acting in-between. Gene Hackman did an excellent job (as ever) as Edward Lyle, as did Jon Voight as the cool calculating bad guy, Thomas Brian Reynolds. Honourable mentions must go to; Lisa Bonet as Rachel Banks, Regina King as Robert's wife, Carla Dean, Jake Busey and Scott Caan as the heavies Krug and Jones, Gabriel Byrne as Brill and Jack Black as Fiedler.

Quite an enthralling and captivating film. It does take a bit of time to get going but once it does it keeps the pace pretty well until the end. If I have one criticism, it's that it's far too long. I enjoy a complex plot as much as the next guy, but this one did take a long time to tie all the various threads together. Over all a film with some very nice touches and some decent performances but I guess it's one you can't watch too many times. Even so, worth a look if you either haven't seen it, or haven't seen it for a while.

SteelMonster's verdict: RECOMMENDED.

My score: 7.5/10

IMDb Score: 7.2/10 (based on 109,067 votes at the time of going to press).

MetaScore: 67/100: (Based on 22 critic reviews provided by Metacritic.com at the time of going to press).

Rotten Tomatoes 'Tomatometer' Score: 71/100 (based on 83 reviews counted at the time of going to press).

Rotten Tomatoes 'Audience' Score: 76/100 'Liked it' (based on 346,391 user ratings counted at the time of going to press).

You can find an expanded version of this review on my blog: Thoughts of a SteelMonster.

Government sponsored technical tricks.

Author: billfitch7 from Australia
25 August 2012

Probably, I have seen this movie before within the intervening 14 years, but I didn't remember it in 2012. There's the rub: the movie was made circa 1998 but what happened three years later?? (Clue: 11th. of September.) I am amused at the fact that I just accept all this technical trickery in 2012, and yes, I can look for any address on this planet by searching with Google Earth in my living room. I don't think it is too far fetched to believe that the US Government (or others) have the abilities of surveillance and control that this movie portrays, and I am slightly amused now that it is probably necessary, and desirable. I don't care - as long as they don't do that to me.

Taut, intelligent thriller!

Author: Hephzibah Jason
27 March 2012

"Enemy of the State" puts Will Smith in a classic Hitchcockian situation. He's in the wrong place at the wrong time and nefarious government agents are after him. The electronic hardware they use to track Smith and tear apart his life is frightening. This film might have been an above average thriller, but the introduction of Gene Hackman as a retired agent who helps Smith elevates it to sublime levels. Hackman subtly invokes the character of Harry Caul, the reclusive snoop he portrayed in the 70's classic, "The Conversation". Jon Voight continues his second, or is it the third, career as a villain. Lisa Bonet, who should be making more movies, is fine as a mysterious woman from Smith's past. Regina King provides solid support as Smith's beleaguered spouse. All in all, a classy ride. I give it an 8/10.

Good movie...not THAT good.

Author: dewdude2112 from United States
15 January 2012

Big stars....up-n-comings (Jack Black-lol NOT very good!). Tight script...big action. High Tech. What's not to like? However...the holes are there if you care. Like when his brief case was stolen at the hotel. Maybe in the end, it wouldn't matter...but why not file the report? Look at the security tapes to see who took it? And if I were him..and Gene Hackman gave me the pat down, removing a handful of tech, and told me to strip...you bet your sh!t I'd strip! And how the heck did he re-find Gene when he gave him "the toy"?

No movie is perfect...but I hate it when the movie overlooks common, logical actions to serve the plot. And one more thing....

You're being watched right now. :)

Fun and Entertaining!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
20 December 2011

Enemy of the State is a really fun and entertaining movie. This film is good to watch especially since it comes out in the middle of awards season and people would want to see a film like this. It contains plenty of action and thrilling moments.

The plot could very well be true. It's about how one lawyer accidentally ends up with a government tape and the government is chasing him down in order to get the tape back. Basically, the movie talks about the government spying on people.

The acting is very good. Will Smith proves that he is action star we all like him to be. Gene Hackman is very intense in every scene he's in. Jon Voight also reminded me of his character from the first Mission Impossible which was released two years previously.

Overall, this is a great movie. I would want to watch this again. I rate this film 10/10.