IMDb > Enemy of the State (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Enemy of the State

Enemy of the State More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 41: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

A Pulsating Action Thriller.

Author: GameOvais from Bimringham, United Kingdom
4 May 2006

I have seen EOS 3 times now, I watched it last night and enjoyed it more than I did before.

EOS is simply a riveting action thriller which goes at the speed of light. It is the best part of a decade since the movie came out, but if even half of what we saw in EOS is to believed then it is frightening to think of what technology is out there today and what it is used for.

The acting led by Will Smith, Jon Voight and Gene Hackman is top notch. The action scenes are roller coaster like and the climax of the movie is one of the best for an action that I have seen.

All in all EOS is a thought provoking action thriller, a very good one at that.

Author: loi7 from Wyoming
28 October 2001

This has to be one of the best movies I have ever seen. Certainly one of the best, if not the best movie of the 90's, along with Office Space, Jurassic Park, and Terminator 2, to name a few. Though I want to make one thing clear, I am NOT a Will Smith fan. A lot of reviewers go on about how they love Will Smith, and saw the movie just for him. Will Smith is a good actor, but a lot of things he does simply suck. I feel he has made some of the worst music ever created, and has done some very bad movies and TV Shows (Fresh Prince of Bel Air...that show makes me vomit). Now that I have made this clear, I can go on with the review.

Though, as unfond of Will Smith as I can be, I have no problem with his performance here. I actually think he does a terrific job, as he does in Indepedence Day, but other than that, well, you get it. Gene Hackman also does an outstanding job as does everyone else. The acting in this movie is great.

The storyline in this movie is as far as I can tell, pretty original. But I'm sure someone somewhere knows about a movie that they "totally ripped off", as it seems it is the same situation with every movie. But whatever, it doesn't matter. The storyline is so compelling it will get you absolutely stuck in it. Irrisistable.

All in all, this movie is fantastic. Great chase scenes, and an incredible ending. This is one of my all time favorites, and everyone should rent this movie and see if they like it. And remember, there watching you...(it's cheesy, but since almost every reviewer has done I felt the need to include it.)

Whoah, great surprise

Author: Breydel from Mol, Belgium
20 May 2000

Enemy Of The State is a great movie. I rented the VHS today with the intention to get a mediocre action movie but I was pleasantly surprised. I never liked Gene Hackman's acting much but I think he performed one of his best in this movie. Will Smith on the contrary felt a bit misplaced in this role. He truly shined in Bad Boys which is in my top 3 favorite movies of all time but here he didn't seem to fit in much. Thumps up as well for the woman who acted Smith's wife in this movie. The scene where she and Smith were arguing was very well done. And last but not least John Voight was a great bad guy as usual but he will never be as good again (at least for me) as his performance of the blind man in U Turn. That was truly superb.

As for the rest of Enemy o/t State I really liked the way the movie evolved towards the end. I must have thought about 3 or 4 times "this is it, they're going to get the bad guys and the movie is over" but something unexpected always happened and made the movie go on. Something I've never seen in a Hollywood action movie before which I can only applaud for.

Also the guy who played the character that gets killed in the very beginning of the movie is a great actor. I just can't find or remember his name but I've seen him in a lot of other movies. It does surprise me however that he signed to play such a small role in this movie since he's among the big stars in Hollywood.

All things together the movie was a great enjoyment. I rated it 8/10 which is certainly not bad on my action movie scale. A recommendation for every fan of the action or thriller genre.

Surpisingly good

Author: Joe Morris (joeydvdmo@aol.com) from Hazlet, New Jersey
11 April 2000

Enemy of the State stars Will Smith as a normal guy, with a normal job. Then one day a friend from college comes and sticks evidence in Smith's bag. This is leading to a murder, by a muli-millionaire. So then the people who work for the millionaire, try to do anything they can, to get that from Smith's bag. Along the way Smith meets up with Gene Hackman, who helps Smith along the way.

Suprisingly good pyschological thriller, has Smith and Hackman in good roles. Very intelligent, and smart at times, although in my opinion their were to many endings. Also starring John Voight.

***

Exciting, frightening film about the 900-pound gorilla that's already in the kitchen

Author: Brian Wright from United States
6 April 2007

When I first saw this movie—geez, hard to imagine this film being made nearly 10 years ago!—I was more moved by the technical wizardry than tuned into this jumbo-sized chronicle of the national security state gone awry.

That, and I remember feeling so friggin' irritated with Carla (Regina King) for bitching about Robert (Will Smith) doing business with Rachel Banks (Lisa Bonet):

The Claytons' home has been broken into, the NSA has framed him, his high-powered legal firm has fired him, and his reputation has been trashed in the D.C. papers. So this stand-by-your-man wife throws him out of the house without giving him a chance to explain.

Keep in mind Carla is an ACLU attorney and has just the day before given Robert a lecture about how our rights are being trampled by the state. Their lives are unraveling from some hostile agent, and she's getting emotional about some old flame he still has to talk with occasionally? Women!

Turns out Carla's bitching is the least of his troubles:

A high-level National Security Agency (NSA) schmuck (Jon Voight) has a Congressman (Jason Robards) killed for refusing to support a new Patriot-Act-like surveillance law. The murder takes place in a park where a wildlife camera captures the entire scene on tape. The camera attendant (Jason Lee) soon figures out what he has, and so does the NSA team.

The chase is on.

Camera guy makes a disk then by pure chance the disk, enclosed in a portable video game, winds up in Robert Dean's Christmas shopping bag. Unbeknownst to Dean, his seven-year-old son raids the package and takes the game and disk with him to a friend's house on a sleepover.

The chief complication in the plot underlies Dean's relationship with Rachel. In their university days they were lovers; yet Dean uses her now and then as a go-between to obtain first-class PI work from a shadowy investigator named Brill (Gene Hackman).

Eventually, Dean and Brill have to hook up to confront the statist goombas who are ruining everyone's lives to retrieve the damned tape. Brill is a former NSA wonk forced out 20 years ago by upper-level spook-management screwups. Off the grid and underground, he's an aging libertarian high-tech loner with a grudge.

...

For my complete review of this movie and for other movie and book reviews, please visit my site TheCoffeeCoaster.com.

Brian Wright Copyright 2007

A Big Miss

Author: tedg (tedg@FilmsFolded.com) from Virginia Beach
2 July 2000

Okay, another ordinary guy thrust into extraordinary circumstances and being pursued by overwhelming force: template number 1 in the poor writer's cheat book. This go around, we have dire warnings about and examples of NSA invasions of privacy.

Even if it had a resonating story, this movie is dead. When will they learn not to cast poor actors (Smith, Bonet) near good ones (Voight, Hackman). It just reminds us. Smith never convinces.

Worse, the reason this was made was to leverage paranoia about a very real agency, who does do profligate, but passive monitoring. The message would have real impact if they hadn't larded it up with so many technical fantasies. Also, if the mission had been carried out with some official blessing, instead of by a minor internal thug.

The truth IS scarey, as is the threat they are countering. A real film could be made of this, something meaningful, but no one would watch. I wonder whether we really are a stupid people or that we would rather be frightened by clearly fake threats.

A good film...

Author: Amityville15 from England
6 September 2014

Robert Clayton Dean is a successful Washington D.C. attorney who without his knowledge is given a tape that ties a top official of the national security to a political murder. Instantly every aspect of Dean's life is targeted by a lethal team of skilled NSA surveillance operatives, who wage a relentless, ultra high-tech campaign to discredit him and retrieve the incriminating evidence, Dean must protect the tape to reclaim his life and prove his innocence.

This film starred: Will Smith, Gene Hackman & Jon Voight.

Enemy of the State was released in 1998, and in my opinion is a good suspense thriller, Will Smith is again awesome in this movie, like he is in pretty much every movie he is in. However at some points in this movie it does slow down. but overall it is a good movie.

***/***** Good film.

Intense with Some Solid Acting,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
26 August 2014

Enemy of the State is a brilliant movie with a very well developed storyline and an outstanding cast.The movie is interesting,fast paced and very intense,at no stage did I feel like it was moving too slowly nor did I feel it was moving too fast.Will Smiths performance is fantastic,he is without a doubt one of my favourite actors and he dosen't disappoint in this,I also enjoyed his scenes with Gene Hackman,the two seemed to enjoy working together,as well as Jon Voight and Regina King.The movie also took a risk by getting some well known comedy actors and putting them in serious roles,such as Jack Black,Jason Lee and Seth Green,and they were all surprisingly very good,I liked seeing a movie do a risky decision and it worked out well for them.The movie is action packed and it goes by very fast,I would recommend Enemy of the State to anyone looking for a good action or crime.

After he receives some important evidence to a political crime,Robert Clayton Dean (Will Smith) is soon being hunted by a group of professionals working for the NSA.

Best Performance: Will Smith Worst Performance: Scott Caan

If you have any recommendations on films/TV series I should watch or review,or any questions to ask me,just tweet me @DillonTheHarris

Precautionary tale...

Author: poe426 from USA
11 August 2014

Not being particularly fond of Will Smith, I gave this one a pass when it opened- but, being VERY fond of the late Tony Scott, I took it upon myself to sit down and finally watch ENEMY OF THE STATE. It was worth the time. The story of an innocent man getting caught up in The Machine is always worth a look; it could happen to ANYONE, and George Orwell and Franz Kafka and a whole lot of other people have pointed this out, again and again over the years. THAT'S what makes ENEMY OF THE STATE interesting: a man minding his own business gets caught up in the gears of The Machine and we see just HOW that Machine can masticate a man. It's happening for real even as I write this, and the mere notion is frightening. Who do you turn to in such a situation? Smith turns to Gene Hackman, who seems to be reprising his role from THE CONVERSATION (his hideout looks a LOT like the hideout he had in THE CONVERSATION). There's a lot more action in ENEMY OF THE STATE than there probably needs to be, and the neat way everything is resolved in the end- in a shootout- is typical Hollywood shorthand, but Smith's anger at being put upon by The Powers That Be rings true- as does his wild-eyed fear of The Machine. Let this one serve as a precautionary tale.

This is what Snowden is fighting for!!

Author: rajatdahiyax from India
4 August 2014

The action producing-directing team of Jerry Bruckheimer and Tony Scott is back with another thrill-a-minute ride called Enemy of the State. Taking its "innocent man accidentally caught up in political corruption" story from such films as Francis Ford Coppola's The Conversation, Alfred Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much, and Sydney Pollack's Three Days of the Condor, they turn up the high- tech volume in an attempt to create the ultimate action film. Robert Clayton Dean, played by Will Smith, is a devoted father, husband, and attorney shopping for a sexy gift for his wife. What he doesn't know is that he was given a videotape from a friend (Jason Lee) regarding the recent murder of a U.S. senator led by corrupt National Security Agency official Thomas Reynolds (Jon Voight). Now Reynolds is after Dean to cover his tracks or, as the audience soon finds out, frame Dean for Rachel's murder. Since Dean isn't up on his high-tech gadgetry, he needs the aid of ex-intelligence operative Brill (Gene Hackman).Dean realizes that in the modern world, there is no such thing as total privacy