IMDb > Enemy of the State (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Enemy of the State

Enemy of the State More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 42: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

A great modern thriller

Author: deatman9 from Canada
19 October 2012

This movie came out over ten year ago and no doubt it still holds up as a great thriller. It uses such a new original idea that is just great and keeps you interested. The actors all did a very good job and it really makes you think about the technology the government is using.

This movie is about a young up and coming lawyer(Smith) who starts to be tracked by members of the government. Unknown to him someone dropped a chip in his bag that contains a video of a secret murder the government officials committed.

This movie is action packed from start to finish. The actors all did a great job and this movie has you on the edge of your seat the whole time.

Privacy vs Security

Author: david-sarkies from Australia
20 January 2012

The trailers for this movie wetted my appetite and I went expecting, and the movie delivered. Enemy of the State is tense, fast paced, action packed, and very cunning in the way the characters manipulate the world around them. Right from the beginning we are confronted with cunning and evil spies seeking to manipulate and control the world. Enemy of the State is the new generation of spy thriller and succeeds in what it sets out to do.

A bill is being passed through congress which would allow the security agents to invade the privacy of private citizens. They would be able to monitor all conversations and transmissions and be ready to grab any insurgents before they are able to act. This does lead to implications because nobody is able to lead a private life and the only private place would be your head. Thus the main thrust of this movie is the line that separates ones private life with national security and where that should be drawn.

This is not a new theme as it is the major thrust of George Orwell's 1984 in which Big Brother knows everything about everybody and monitors everybodies movements. Of coarse this is probably for the betterment of society but such things quickly downgrade into a totalitarian dictatorship. The National Security Agency (NSA) in Enemy of the State is like Big Brother except that they are blinded by the philosophy of protection of the state. Constantly throughout the movie they speak of America being the most powerful nation in the world and because of this they need to protect themselves from international terrorism. Such protection involves being able to monitor everybody to attempt to root out terrorists before people die. Those working for these people believe that it is for the betterment of the state, but there is the issue of people's privacy.

That is the other part of the movie, and the filmmakers are biased towards this idea. They support privacy over national security, and thus if security laws invade people's privacy then they are bad laws. Even though the NSA makes pleas of being able to monitor people to save the state, these pleas fall on death ears as we see innocent people suddenly becoming enemies of the state and being killed simply because they interfere in the NSA's plans. In fact, their desire to protect the state moves over to the absurd where the innocence of the state is being destroyed in their desire to preserve the state.

I guess this is the new generation of spy thrillers now that the Cold War is over. They attempt to turn the Muslim fundamentalists into the bad guys but generally it does not work. Instead the more popular movies are those in which the state is the enemy and the innocent person is the hero. This seems to be the more popular because it is still the right verses the left, as it was in the old communist movies. The right verses the left seems to be a popular theme and now that the old leftist regimes have gone, the only vestage of the left that needs to be attacked is the big government.

Enemy of the State

Author: (adrienne_aline@yahoo.com) from United States
6 March 2011

I found this gem quite by accident. It was an enjoyable surprise. What is our government doing with all the money it takes involuntarily from its citizens? This movie reveals encroaching invasion of privacy and the effects of uncontrolled power over other people. It shines a spotlight on infringement of liberties and the inevitable injustice and even death it causes. Will Smith's character accidentally becomes involved and his character is both mundane and heroic. Although there are some real moments of suspense, I get the impression that the movie is rushed through, that it needed more work. However the plot is daring and important and overall worth the watch.

Fast-paced, edgy thriller that's surprisingly very post-modern

Author: tomb_92 from United Kingdom
23 April 2010

I was really surprised at this. It's one of Will Smith's lesser known films, but it has no right to be. It's easily one of his best, certainly up there with The Pursuit of Happiness. He gives a really strong performance without any of the light-hearted comedy slants he normally takes, not that I have a problem with that, it's just nice to see Smith acting seriously for a change. The story is really interesting and doesn't let you down like a lot of conspiracy theory films. It's really emotional at times and with Smith's acting you can really feel his pain and frustration. The story is also surprisingly post-modern, it feels like it could easily be set today rather than 15 years ago when it was made. This is a stunning thriller.

Fresh Prince on the Run.

Author: Mr_Censored from Maine
23 December 2009

A film that was perhaps a bit ahead of its time, "Enemy of the State" stars Will Smith as a family man on the run from the government after unknowingly obtaining information about a politically motivated murder. Because the government (a.k.a. Big Brother) can see and hear virtually everything he does, he is helpless until he gains the assistance of an old, paranoid and tech-savvy character played by Gene Hackman.

Seeing as how it was made in 1998, it should be noted that "Enemy of the State" pre-dates the Patriot Act, making it relevant and powerful even 11 years after its release. Obviously much of what the government does in this film is exaggerated (is it?), but the script is whip-smart and thanks to brilliant pacing and a directing style from Tony Scott that shows restraint, you feel like you are there with the characters and the action never lets up for a moment. The paranoia built up within the film is contagious and what makes it truly great is that you'll walk away from it with something more to chew on than what the average blockbuster has to offer.

"Enemy of the State" is a Jerry Bruckheimer production, and is perhaps the smartest and one of the best films of its breed. The film is nothing if not consistent and despite a strong showing by Will Smith, Gene Hackman completely steals the show. Why he didn't win any awards for his performance in this film is beyond me. Jon Voight has a turn as the villain and Jason Lee gets an early but pivotal position early on in the film. Look out for bit performances by comedic actors Seth Green and Jack Black, too.

Under-rated and thought-provoking action thriller - 85%

Author: Benjamin Cox from Hampshire, England
29 June 2009

I remember going to see this at the pictures when it was released but over time, my memory of it began to fade save that my impression was that it was a great action thriller. Thankfully, the BBC were able to refresh my memory on Saturday night and therefore, I was able to watch this again with my Better Half. And you know what - it still is a gripping and classy action conspiracy film that surprises as often as it entertains, assuming you can stand Tony Scott's never-stand-still direction.

Will Smith plays hot-shot attorney Robert Dean, chasing mobster Pintero (Tom Sizemore) and unaware of the politically motivated murder of a congressman, instigated by shady politician Thomas Reynolds (Jon Voight). But after a video of the murder is discovered, Reynolds sends his NSA guys after the tape which finds itself in Dean's unknowing possession. Soon, Dean's life falls apart and he finds himself chased by government agents wherever he goes. But as he desperately tries to discover why this is happening to him, his only hope lies with a shadowy individual known as Brill (Gene Hackman)...

The first thing that surprises you is that despite the director of "Top Gun" at the helm, this is a brilliantly written and thought-provoking thriller that doesn't patronise you with techno-jargon. The second thing that surprises you is the quality and depth of the acting - stars like Jack Black, Seth Green and Scott Caan pop up in the casting but all actors deserve praise as everyone is convincing. But the most surprising thing is how under-rated this film is. This film grips like a pair of Michelins and offers something more than your usual Jerry Bruckheimer helping of explosions and cool styling yet nobody seems to be talking about this like they should. There is a slight sense that this sort of stuff is out-dated these days as technology continues its relentless advance and the numerous gaffes about map coordinates and the accuracy of spy satellites may damage this films credibility somewhat but by and large, this is a quality film.

Maybe I'm being harsh on Tony Scott - I'm a huge fan of his brother Ridley, though - because this film would be a fine addition to any directors CV. "Enemy Of The State" remains a class above most action thrillers, feeling more like "The Fugitive" than "The Running Man" which can only be a good thing. It's also good to see a modern film with Gene Hackman in, before his self-imposed retirement and we can only hope he changes his mind soon because he is a genuine Hollywood icon. In the meantime, enjoy a movie that thrills and excites but also makes you think in equal measures.

The Quintessential Thriller For the Information Age

Author: jzappa from Cincinnati, OH, United States
1 November 2008

Screenwriter David Marconi uses the thriller milieu to assault an America in which subversive computers tap our phones for trigger words. Will Smith showed early promise as an actor in his lead role as a D.C. lawyer named Robert Dean whose life is ripped apart because he has evidence that a congressman was murdered for going up against a bill that would enable the US government to spy on its citizens. Unrealistically, the noble congressman is mentioned as a Republican.

It's not the government that is the enemy, the script contends, so much as officials and bureaucrats who exploit the power of their positions to increase their own ends and cover their footprints. Jon Voight's murderous NSA official is actually acting in his own personal interest, doing anything he has to do to get a communications bill passed that will make his job easier and more lucrative. He has the congressman murdered because he's the crucial opponent. Everything else unfolds from the murder conspiracy.

This, the quintessential thriller for the information age, was directed by Tony Scott, who films technology the only way that doesn't diminish the charm of the film. As Will Smith's Robert Dean ducks through Washington, struggling desperately to decipher his sudden assailants, the story is unraveled before us with video recording from spy satellites, surveillance cameras, audio devices, bugs, wiretaps and other such domestic gadgets. As with nearly every Tony Scott film, no shot seems to last more than two or three seconds.

This enormously entertaining spy film is as briskly paced as one could ever expect, gathering around two hyperkinetic chase sequences, and coming to a head in a cunning deception that initiates a signature Tony Scott sense-bashing, ultraviolent shootout. Though the double- cross is clever and the gunfight is extremely intense, the situation borders dangerously nearby ludicrous, for a film that has made such an effort to be taken seriously. In its action and violence it is in too much of a rush to be much of a character film, but then that complements its paranoia.

On the whole, it succeeds. Aside from its central characters, Enemy of the State seems crowded with stars who, at the time, had yet to be stars, playing bit roles of all kinds: Seth Green, Jack Black, Jason Lee, Jamie Kennedy, James LeGros, Jake Busey, and Scott Caan, and fleeting roles by established stars like Gabriel Byrne, Jason Robards, Lisa Bonet and Stuart Wilson. Will Smith is sincere and human as a virtuous lawyer who is sucker-punched by the abused muscle of the nation. Gene Hackman, as I am coming to realize is his secret to such consistently persuasive and charismatic performances, feels outright doubtless of every line of dialogue and every nuanced action. Voight's bureaucrat seems firm in his mind that his work by some means transcends the law, resounding the true echo of more or less the entirety of neo-Conservative politicians in America. "We are at war 24 hours a day!" "You think we're the end of democracy? I think we're democracy's last hope!"

Great Movie!

Author: from United States
29 August 2006

This was simply an unbelievable movie. From start, to finish, you will be held on the edge of your seat. Fast paced, and action packed, yet still with plenty of depth, plot, storyline, and suspense, this is likely one of my favorites. Will Smith does a great job in this movie, as does Gene Hackman. This film and the messages in it are far more relevant today than ever before.. and should be seen by everyone. How this movie managed to pull in a 7, while Dickie Roberts pulled in a 5-6 is simply unbelievable to me as well. This movie is severely underrated, and I highly recommend it to everyone. I don't know a single person who has seen this movie and didn't enjoy it. Two thumbs up!

Entertaining and fast-paced

Author: Mattias Petersson from Stockholm, Sweden
14 August 2006

When it comes to paranoia-thrillers there is a lot to live up to. In the days of the cold war these kinds of movies came in droves. There were communists, UFO:s and strange government agencies on every corner. This is very much an update of that classic genre, and a good update to boot.

Will Smith is the somewhat controversial but successful young lawyer that gets drawn into controversy by accident. Soon the Orwellian American government is chasing him with every means available to them. Including groups of seemingly cloned agents, satellites, helicopters and every kind of surveillance you can think of.

What makes this movie work is undeniably it's pace. This is a real neck-breaker almost all the way through. Sure, believability suffers sometimes (not least in the end without revealing too much) but this can easily be forgiven since this is such an entertaining ride. The mix is also given extra flavor by the use of a bunch of good actors. Gene Hackman, Jon Voight and Will Smith all do good work.

Whether this is a good commentary on the increasing surveillance we face in our everyday life i won't say. I recommend instead that you watch this because it's a thrilling and fast-paced thriller that entertains the whole running time. 7/10.

A Pulsating Action Thriller.

Author: GameOvais from Bimringham, United Kingdom
4 May 2006

I have seen EOS 3 times now, I watched it last night and enjoyed it more than I did before.

EOS is simply a riveting action thriller which goes at the speed of light. It is the best part of a decade since the movie came out, but if even half of what we saw in EOS is to believed then it is frightening to think of what technology is out there today and what it is used for.

The acting led by Will Smith, Jon Voight and Gene Hackman is top notch. The action scenes are roller coaster like and the climax of the movie is one of the best for an action that I have seen.

All in all EOS is a thought provoking action thriller, a very good one at that.