IMDb > Enemy of the State (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Enemy of the State

Enemy of the State More at IMDbPro »

Page 14 of 41: [Prev][9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [Next]

The best Will Smith movie to date!

Author: HunterK (hunter_kahn@hotmail.com) from Pennsylvania, USA
4 February 2000

I enjoyed ENEMY OF THE STATE very very much. I like Will Smith, even though I found WILD WILD WEST very disappointing, and I thought this movie looked great when advertised. I was not disappointed. This is by far better than any of Will Smith's movies so far.

Robert Clayton Dean (Will Smith) seems to have an average American life. He has a pretty wife and a fine young son, as well as his own house and a successful job as a lawyer. But when he accidentally finds himself with evidence of politician Thomas Brian Reynolds (Jon Voight) killing somebody, his entire life is in jeopardy. His job destroyed, his reputation tarnished and his life in danger by Renolds and a gang of military soldiers and hackers, he turns to a friend, Rachel Banks (Lisa Bonet). She leads him to Brill, (Gene Hackman) a paranoid informant who is also on the run from the government, to help him.

The acting in this movie is great. Will Smith is at his absolute best in this movie, but the spotlight does probably belong to Gene Hackman for his part as Brill. Seth Green also does a great job as what started as a cameo and became a vital part of the movie. Jon Voight is superb as the evil politician, Lisa Bonet does well as Smith's ex-girlfriend, and Regina King does a fair job as Smith's wife. All of the characters are cool and interesting, especially those of Smith, Hackman, Voight and Green.

The action is this movie is terrific. There are some very entertaining chases, both car and foot, as well as gunfights and explosions. The ending is also pretty cool. The realism is a little far fetched, (especially when Will Smith goes into a lingerie shop and there are tons of good looking girls modeling it all over the store) but it is believable enough for the viewer to have fun.

I really enjoyed this movie and will buy it first chance I get. Go out and rent it and enjoy, you'll probably feel the same way.

Everybody's watchin ya!!!!!!

Author: smiley pie from PAIGNTON, DEVON
30 January 2000

If you have not seen Enemy Of The State yet you are missing out because it is a great blockbuster and with Will Smith starring next to Gene Hackman you have got a match made in heaven for all film lovers.

This is a film where attorney (Will Smith). Is a normal everyday guy but when he gets a video of a murder he starts getting in trouble with the secret service. The problem is he does not realize he has the tape. Then when his girlfriend dies he finds out he is being watched all the time all has to fight for himself and try to beat the secret service!!!!!!1

The movie was awesome;reality set in and my mind wondered...

Author: jazzallie (jazzallie@yahoo.com) from U.S.
12 January 2000

The movie was exciting and interesting. I wanted to see more of the action. Wiil Smith and Gene Hackmans' roles were the tops. It made me wonder about the NSA and CIA and the government as a whole for that matter. I took it all in a postive way.

You want action, you got it.

Author: Madfilm from Cleveland, Ohio
7 January 2000

Gene Hackman is Brilliant in almost everything he does, including Enemy of The State. I'll admit I'm not a big action movie fanatic, but this one won my time to watch it. If you like action films that have to do with a lot of what's going on today and make you think (about your privacy in this case) then this one you should watch. Usually if a movie is action every single minute it seems to take away from the acting, but not in this case. Gene Hackman and Will Smith seem to combine perfectly in this playing off each other. The ending may have been a bit predictable, but not that bad to not watch it. Action/suspense fans should get their hands on this one. I rated it a 7 out of 10.

One of 1998's best movies

Author: papadopoulosk from Thessaloniki, Greece
16 December 1999

A very nice film.It can keep your interest up to the end and it doesn't make you feel tired. Will Smith is great,Gene Hackman is good too. The bad guys are convincing (I liked Barry Pepper), Jon Voight does a great job as the corrupt agent (these roles are perfect for him-remember Mission:Impossible). But the most great of all is the magnificent and very interesting scenario and the very clever ending of the film.

If you like spy films (007 etc.), then this is your Film.

Well rounded A+

Author: CheshireCatsGrin from 2 hours north of Los Angeles
19 November 1999

This movie is one of the best well rounded I've seen in a long time. I'm not a Will Smith fan but this movie had it all and it was well edited. The drama did not interrupt the action nor visa versa. There was a great true to life security satellite and NSA scenario (and no, I don't belong to any conspiracy organizations *smile*). It was like a well oiled-machine.

Awesome

Author: bart88 from Boulder, CO
8 November 1999

What an amazing film!!! Will Smith and Gene Hackman are great!!! This movie always keeps you on your toes. It's an intense ride. I was most impressed with the technology used in the film. It's very interesting and kind of scary to think about.

Amazing!!!!!!

Author: Peter Terry from U.S
30 October 1999

I never would have expected to see Will Smith in a movie like this, or to do such a good acting job. This movie was amazing! I loved it! It was thrilling, suspenseful, and action packed. Another thing that excites me about this movie is that it was filmed 10 miles from where I live! In fact, today I actually drove by on the same road that guy gets hit by the fire truck on. My cousin got to watch them film that part of the movie! I was thinking "wow, I'm driving over the same road they filmed Enemy of the State on". Anyway, Will Smith should have own an oscker for this movie. He did some good acting! Enemy of the State is an A class movie. Well made, with a great story, good actors/actresses, and an Excellent location!

My rating: 11 out of 10!

Fast Action Packed Thriller

Author: Nigel-26 from Adelaide, South Australia
19 October 1999

This movie is much like David Baldacci novels; fast, action packed and riveting. I found the plot plausible, and the acting sufficiently laid back to give the film credibility. The tense relationship between Dean and Brill provides a good balance to the frustrations earlier experinced by Dean in not knowing what the hell is going on. An exciting film and one not to be missed.

If you suffer from paranoid tendencies... do _not_ watch this film

Author: AKS-6 from Sweden
15 October 1999

I have to say that I genuinely liked this film. I wouldn't have rented it if my sister hadn't recommended it, but now I'm happy that I did. This film is full of suspense, it's thoroughly entertaining and rather interesting. I thought Will Smith did a great job, Gene Hackman was excellent, and I really like Ian Hart so it was great to see him in a movie like this.

However, if you suffer from paranoid tendencies do *not* watch this film, you may need years of therapy afterwards, and who knows who might tap *those* conversations? :-)

All in all; I liked this film, I liked the acting -- I'd have to give it 7 out of 10.