IMDb > Enemy of the State (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Enemy of the State

Enemy of the State More at IMDbPro »

Page 13 of 43: [Prev][8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [Next]

Fast Paced Techno-Thriller with Dubious Technology

Author: modius from United Kingdom
18 February 2001

The first time I saw Enemy of the State I thought it seemed to be a very up-to-date version of Hackman's "The Conversation", however to confuse both of them is misleading and frankly inadvised.

The Conversation is much better in terms of story, character development and intelligently directed, whereas Enemy of the State relies on fast-paced video feed, special-effects, good characters and its fast-paced techno-thrilling story that uses "Dubious" technology.

I guess it doesn't matter to the casual viewer that most of the technology or the aspects/role of the NSA seem impossible, its more of a thriller or an actioner than credibly realisitc, and it doesn't matter that in the Lingere shop everyone seems incredibly beautiful...

Anyway, whether or not the technology or the role of the NSA seem impossible or not there is no denying that this is a good watch, but you kinda feel that half way thru you don't know where its going - and then it seems to turn its Anti-Surveilliance Message around onto the bad guys, using their tricks against themselves...

By that point I was kinda thinking "what?! - this film starts out as an anti-surveilliance film, now its pro...if not for surveillance, wouldn't Jon Voight have just killed the old man and gotten away with his murder?"

Anyway, with all the problems of technology and changing the plot for no reason, its a good enjoyable yarn that sometimes doesn't know whether to base its premise in fiction or reality and unfortuently for the film it gets very blurred and the viewer can be left with a hanging question on their minds "how much was that real and how much wasn't?"

This film is good, but I'd prefer the Conversation more.

Overall: 5/10

My number 153 movie ( contains story )

Author: rinho-2 (rinho@web.de) from Germany
20 January 2001

Yes, you have read correctly. This is my number 153 movie ( outta 750 about ). It is very thrilling, the action is good, the actors do a good job, and the story is good. Enemy of the State is about a stolen video. On this video you can see that any politician was murdered, by his rival. Robert Clayton Dean ( Will Smith ) gets that video , when his friend, who is chased by the murderers, meets him in a shop for underwear, that Robert wants to buy for his wife. This murderers know pretty soon, that Robert has that video. So they have to search for him, but the point is, that Robert does not know why he is chased by them. The former NSA-Agent Brill ( Gene Hackman ) tries to help him to get out of his situation, but he does not want to endanger himself. Robert loses the trust of his wife, but finally he gets his life back. Enemy of the State is a very good action film, because it concentrates on the story and not on the special effects or the action. I recommend this to people who want to see an action-film with a (very?) good story and good actors. Highly recommendable. All in all, I rated this movie 9/10. WELL DONE!!!

"THE TRUMAN SHOW" for Everyman

Author: Bob-45 from Savannah, GA
16 January 2001

ENEMY OF THE STATE delivers a somber message while pulling us along with the adrenaline rush. That message: "I love my country but fear my government." Will Smith plays a labor lawyer who becomes the unwitting victim of an Candidate for assistant director of the National Security Agency. Smith has accidentally received an extremely damaging video of a assasination of a US Congressman whom was opposed to a bill which would give NSA broad new powers to investigate American citizens. The coincidence involved in Smith's inception of the video is the weakest element of the film. Also, unlike DIE HARD's John McClain, Smith's character has no background to enable to fight back the overwealming power brought to bear on him. Only his association with a shadowy character portrayed by Gene Hackman keeps him alive for much of the course of the movie. The picture is largely plausible, except for the speed at which "spy" satellites are engaged to track Smith. Certainly the ending is highly plausible, though it does require another stretch of "coincidence."

Thank goodness, Smith is along for the ride. Without some humor to leaven this movie, ENEMY OF THE STATE would probably be an unwatchable horror tale. It CAN happen here (and probably DOES). Remember that while you are watching the end credits...

Enemy of the State: thrilling, captivating and mind boggling.

Author: Megan Bates (russ.bates@lineone.net)
5 January 2001

If you are looking at this film and wondering wether you want to rent this video, or see if it is worth watching it on TV or if you are a fan of the gorgeous Will Smith, then if you want my advice, read on. This film has an amazing storyline. The fact that the film combines drama, humour and romance, is to be praised. The acting ability of Gene Hackman and Will Smith is superb. They show every emotion that is required of their character. There is, however, one question that I would like answered: Why isn't Seth Green's name on the credits? He is fantastic and his role of Selby show that his acting ability goes beyond Austin Powers and Buffy. Please give me a reason why!!!

Definitely not M.I.B.

Author: Dogface316Bob
4 December 2000

It was an okay movie with too much of a good thing. **out of**** Enemy of the state had too much of a good thing. Half of the chasing would have been plenty. It was like they were just trying to keep you there when nothing actually happened. Will Smith was good in this movie but it wasn't 'Men In Black". His role was so clueless it made the movie somewhat retarded.

Great Actors - Excellent Movie

Author: Jack Lucas from New Zealand
13 October 2000

I hire 2 movies a week. "Enemy of the State (1998)" is a fast paced thrill ride displaying the powers of the NSA and human endure. This would be one of my top 20 movies of all time. (personally)

A highly climactic ending!

Author: ablang from Sacramento, CA USA
25 September 2000

When the National Securities Administration (N.S.A.) is after the Will Smith character in the movie, it kind of reminds me of "The Fugitive", as they pursue him because of evidence that he has. The two things I really loved about this movie are the government secrets given away, and the highly climactic ending! I have never seen such an awesome ending to a movie. Everyone gets what they deserve!

A highly climactic ending!

Author: ablang from Sacramento, CA USA
25 September 2000

When the NSA is after the Will Smith character in the movie, it kinda reminds me of "The Fugitive", as they pursue him because of evidence that he has. The two things I really loved about this movie are the government secrets given away, and the highly climactic ending! I have never seen such an awesome ending to a movie. Everyone gets what they deserve!

Brimming with excitement

Author: Ron-181 (rhall96319@aol.com) from Lake Butler, Florida
13 September 2000

Even if he doesn't have the main lead, Gene Hackman always stands out and always gives a superior performance. Solid cast with Will Smith in the lead make this a must see movie. Although strictly fiction it's the kind of movie that makes you wonder about our government and its true intentions. A little violent but still a movie for most ages. Rated 8.

Whew!!!!

Author: Brandy-28 from Los Angeles
11 September 2000

I was going to rent this movie when it came out on video, but I kept telling myself no, no, no. I'll wait and see what people have to say about it. Well months went by and I finally saw it last night on cable. My word, talk about non-stop action. And the subject matter of the film really makes you think about the governments involvement in our lives. Think about. They have access to everything and anything. Watch this movie with a group of people, you'll have a blast.