IMDb > Dogma (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dogma

Dogma More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 102: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Excellent

Author: Tcole94 from United Kingdom
14 October 2011

Dogma is my favourite movie of all time, it provides a reaper like slant on Christianity, but it makes you think in depth about God, and this shows the depth and talent of the cast and crew.

Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes are Dogma, ever since Clerks they have inspired comedians and actors alike, they gave the movie most of its humour, and when put in a movie with Matt Damon on Ben Affleck there is a guarantied hit. With Chris Rolf providing many laughs and Salma Hayek playing the sexy yet smart stripper, the supporting cast are also great.

I have to say Alan Rickman is excellent in this movie, his sarcastic lines are brilliant.

This movie is not only brilliant in acting, but the writing and editing are fantastic and the cast is top notch.

My Most Conflicted DVD

Author: PyroSikTh from Cheddar
19 September 2011

I gave this movie a rating of 5/10 to reach middle ground. I could easily rate it a 10/10, but I could also rate it a 1/10 at the same time. No movie has ever given me two different, conflicting opinions as bad as this.

Seriously, this movie has so many amazing moments of pure brilliance. Moments that stick with you for life. Matt Damon and Ben Affleck are both superb, and they and they're characters are really entertaining to watch. Alan Rickman always is, always has, and always will be brilliant in anything and everything he does. Chris Rock's Black Disciple is extremely funny, and definitely one of his best performances ever. Jay and Silent Bob are also very welcome and very entertaining additions. The general storyline is genius and is easily rewatchable, with several stand-out scenes. At times, I really, really love this movie.

However, amongst all that brilliance is the downright terrible that really niggles at me. Oh, if only I could ignore them, or cut them out completely. Why you might ask? Well for starters, Linda Fiorentino as the lead character Bethany is literally painful to watch. In fact, if she was cut out of the movie entirely, my rating would definitely jump to at least a 7, if not an 8. Outside of that are various scenes that just aren't funny at all, and similarly excruciating. But if it's not painful to watch, and it's not one of the scenes of brilliance, it's just downright boring and drags on.

It's a brilliant movie that I love watching over and over again, but at the same time it's a terrible movie that I avoid watching as best I can.

Quite entertaining but for the toilet humour

Author: Rozinda from United Kingdom
12 March 2010

I give this 5 out of 10 for the good acting and the original idea. I'm not so impressed with all the ways the idea was developed - 4 only for that - and the crude and childish toilet humour spoils the movie. However, British humour is of course rather different and in this movie there is a clear humour culture gap. Depends what you like.

I also soon got bored with Loki's inclination to gratuitous bloody slaughter whenever he felt inclined although I could see the point of why he does it and Damon acts the part splendidly as a kind of perverted Bourne but the final mass slaughter is totally going too far.

Damon and sardonic Rickman as the sardonic Voice of God are the best things in this movie and one of the Voice's best cracks is that they had to make 5 Adams before working out why the earlier ones exploded. Mostly the movie is just quite fun, but Rickman's far too few appearances lift it to a higher level for a bit.

If you can ignore the frequent toilet humour and just concentrate on the story, it's worth watching once to see how the theme is developed. The send up of the Catholic church mostly works. The loophole is very neat. I felt the depiction of God was weak although a good try. The finale for the heroine of the tale is clever.

Worth watching once. But I couldn't sit through that toilet humour again.

This should serve as an eye opener...

Author: CherryBlossomBoy from Not Preston, thankfully
19 October 2009

...provided that people care about it.

Only Kevin Smith knows what his real intentions were when he penned the script for "Dogma". I read somewhere that this is a thinly veiled propaganda for catholic church, or Christianity in general.

I don't see it that way at all. First of all, the surface is not thin at all. There are layers and layers of clever gags, dark humor and satire in this ride of pursuit.

The main premise is relatively simple - two rogue (or rejected or whatever) angels live on through present day, still doing what they've been doing throughout the Bible and trying to get back to heaven. Their only way to do it is through a loophole in catholic dogma, which, if exploited, would prove that god is fallible. For that they must be stopped and an earthly creature is recruited for the task. There is little time and thus the pursuit begins. During it various biblical elements come into play through their present-day form.

To some "Dogma" was eternal biblical struggle relived and modernized to better adjust to modern viewers. There are some argument in favor of that view. I'd say that the sheer fact that it's a satire (some poignant moments notwithstanding) and the campiness of realization actually tell the opposite tale. They show how this stuff the legends are made from (and still worshiped) fares when viewed through a prism of real life.

The two archetypal angels may have been prosecutors of evil in the Bible, but in real life they are just two self-righteous angry mass murderers. A biblical monster is in real life just a pile of crap, a dangerous one but crap nevertheless. God may be an infallible, omnipresent, omnipowerful creature in the Bible, but in reality its set of values, rules and powers are more becoming of a pop star than of a being that supposedly created everything. In fact you have to wonder about the power of "god" that has to follow rules.

Other various gags and skits, such as the black apostle (13th one at that), play on a virgin working in an abortion clinic and the other ones only reinforce the sense of unsubtle ridicule. In that regard "Dogma" did and will repel many a religious viewers and stir certain controversy. But its subtle message that the whole story is ultimately meaningless might finally make some people question their beliefs at last.

Good, but not as good as the rest of Smith's films

Author: gregmovies from United States
24 August 2008

Dogma is a decent comedy, and a decent commentary on religion. Overall, that's all the film is though; decent. The characters dialogue relating to the plot runs too long, there are too many characters, and the film drags at times. However, the humor, Jay and Silent Bob, and the hilarious dialogue make this an enjoyable popcorn movie. Smith's trademark humor makes the film (Jay: "We figure an abortion clinic is a good place to meet loose women. Why else would they be there unless they like to F***?")

In the end, I give the film a low 7/10, the good outweighs the bad and it features plenty of the observations and lines that made Clerks great.

Not funny

Author: arcooper from United States
8 July 2008

A few Catholics were up in arms about this movie because it made fun of Catholicism. I don't understand this claim. Dogma didn't make fun of anything really. I think I might have laughed 3 or 4 times during the duration of a 2-hour movie. You do the math. The movie tried to be a series of goofy situations with a ridiculous plot line, but it never pushed the limit and it didn't make enough of a comparison to the bible. Kevin Smith's style of using conversational humor and trying to make the audience feel like a fried of the characters in the movie doesn't really work with topical humor. Also, a satiric movie must make jokes directly about the subject matter. Dogma had serious moments concerning religion and a few bad dick jokes but the humor never attacked religion. If you want to see a humor movie about religion, see The Life of Brian.

Great movie

Author: Quiz_Kid_Donny_Smith from Netherlands
7 August 2002

***Spoilers!!!***

I must confess I am a Kevin Smith-fan, so if you don't like his previous work you might not like this.

This movie is all about religion, and although the Christian community (well, the die hards that is) weren't to happy with the release of this movie I think they should take it as a reality check for their religion. This movie points out the flaws of the Christian community but is never truly meant to be insulting (at least in my opinion), because I don't think Kevin Smith despises church. He just thinks there is room for improvement.

The acting in the movie is great. Although I'm not the greatest fans of Matt Damon (Loki) and Ben Affleck (Bartleby)(although they do have their moments) they fit perfectly into this movie as two angels who want to get back into heaven. Linda Fiorentino is great as Bethany, the last descendant of Christ who has to stop Loki and Bartleby from going back to heaven as this will end humanity. This assignment is given to her by a character who is brilliantly interpreted by Alan Rickman, Metatron, the voice of God. Salma Hayek plays a former muse, Serendipity, who now works in a strip club. Chris Rock plays the 13th apostel, Rufus. Jason Lee plays Azrael, a fallen angel who wants Loki and Bartleby back in heaven so humanity will end and God will be proven wrong. And then there's the prophets... Jay and Silent Bob, probably one of the funniest couples in movie history (at least in my own opinion), played by Jason Mewes and Kevin Smith.

The story line (a little bit of it is written above but it's too winding to completely put here) is brilliant. It's a satire of the Christian church, although there aren't very many "normal" jokes (in comparison to for example Dumb & Dumber etc.) in the movie there are a lot of funny stabs towards the church which will make you laugh. Jay and Silent Bob are always great for some laughs. Silent Bob as the (usually) quite counterpart of Jay, probably one of the most rude characters in movie history. Everything that comes out of his mouth is stupid an dirty. I love it!

Overall i must say this movie is great. It's funny, entertaining and intelligent. If your looking for a lot of stupid laughs this might not be you movie but if you want comedy with a little bit (just a little bit) more class. I recommend you pick this up sometime.

My Score: 9/10

one of the Kevin's best

Author: Jeff (jeffchtx) from Dallas TX
4 June 2002

Dogma is brilliant. I never cared too much for Alanis Morissette ... till she played GOD. Now I have to respect her for the irreverence. Gotta love a movie that pokes so much fun at religion, not just Catholics... and by someone who is Still Catholic!

watch it, buy it... keep it next to your bible

God damn! (sorry...ed)

Author: rpedley from London, England
30 April 2002

Boy, what a film!

The first thing you need to get over is just how clever a film this is.

It appears on the outside to be yet another juvenile focused film, swearing and blaspheming galore, to be honest I guess its just what Kevin Smith wants the neanderthals out there to think, pays the rent.

Just to focus on the film's main talking point, if you can't question and have your own opinions on faith, beliefs, christianity, god or jesus then it's time to give up. Did the film at anytime suggest their wasn't a god? Hell no! (sorry..ed)

On a personal note I have belief, period, that's it, and I feel more liberated to ask more questions about religion because of this film.

Watch it, feel uncomfortable and appreciate what you are being told.

Find out for yourself. Sheer class.

religious satire, Kevin Smith style

Author: jOn from bowling green, ohio
9 April 2002

probably the most clever Smith film to date, Smith takes aim at the stodgyness of Catholic dogma and hits a bullseye. No one is spared in this vicious satire and you'll laugh the whole way through, people may say that this movie is blasphemous, but who doesn't think God has a snese of humour? just look at the platypus!