IMDb > Dogma (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dogma

Dogma More at IMDbPro »

Page 27 of 102: [Prev][22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [33] [34] [35] [36] [37] [Next]

Blaphemous. Sick. Foul language and gore ruined a neat plot.

Author: acearms from J.C. form Texas
28 May 2000

I'm not a catholic, but the general blasphemy of this film as well as the foul language and unsightly gore made me want to toss my cookies. What could of been a humorus film, the plot lends itself to that, was totally ruined by all the repetitious dialogue that never went anywhere. I was totally discussed.

Bizarre

Author: Beth DiLeo (oola@hotmail.com) from California
28 May 2000

I know that this film has come under fire from a number of religious groups, but I totally enjoyed it. From the moment that Loki compared religion to Through the Looking Glass to Jay casually mentioning the fact that he could be intimate with a preganant woman until the third trimester, I was enraptured. Dogma offered a fluid view of religion. Rather than presenting the viewer with a stagnant belief structure, Kevin Smith gave us the Catholicism Wow campaign and a (spoiler) female savior. What a concept! A woman saving the world, a woman as God. The ending of the film, (spoiler!) with Alanis Morisette dressed in a lovely mauve gown and flowers in her hair, gave me chills. Here was the novel idea of a female God on earth. Her kindness toward Bartleby was admirable, as she held him close to her and prevented his further suffering. I loved the chemistry between Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, the antics of Jay and Silent Bob, and the courage of Bethany. I do share her name in part, after all. The moment that (spoiler) Metotron covered her abdomen with his hand and presented her with a gift was phenomenal. And of course, I cannot leave out the nods to "Star Wars" in the diner and when Serendipity says "Take the Princess." This film could have done without the Golgotha and bit of the blood, but otherwise it was a solid effort. It is obvious that director Kevin Smith has a strong devotion to his faith, and this movie only sought to show that God has a sense of humor. I absolutely loved it!

Decent Kevin Smith effort.

Author: (teenwolf97@aol.com)
28 May 2000

I was thrilled when I saw that another Kevin Smith movie was coming out: Dogma. For the first hour or so, I laughed a good bit. But the final half-hour or so, I found to be a little bit too dramatic. Don't get me wrong, this was a funny movie for the most part. Smith's satire of religion, some witty dialogue, and the prescence of Jay and Silent Bob carried the film. I know language is a almost a must it seems nowadays, but Dogma had profanity like every other word. Chris Rock started out funny, but wound up with hardly any lines at all.(Can he do any movie without mentioning the difference between whites and blacks?) Alan Rickman was humorous as the voice of God, and Matt Damon started out hilarious as Lokie. However, there seemed to be a transition where the film went from comedy-satire to violent drama(blood, shootings,etc.) However, Jay and Silent Bob really shined again in this film and that makes me give it about a 7 out of 10. P.S. All of the fellow Kevin Smith fans will be happy to know that Jay and Silent Bob will return in a sequel to Clerks entitled Clerks 2: Still Clerkin'.

Dogma is essentially a fundamentalist film, albeit secular.

Author: (waddingham@mcn.net) from Montana, U.S.A.
26 May 2000

If DOGMA has a theology it is apparent only in the board room scene. The response of Matt Damon's character to the past sins of board members is unambiguous, self-righteous, and more than a little single-minded. Apparently it is OK because he is young, good-looking and hip (all that really counts?) This is fundamentalism, albeit secular fundamentalism. I suppose one could call this movie adolescent but then that would be unfair . . . to adolescents.

EXCELLENT movie!! Great commentary on contemporary religion....

Author: tollbaby from Ottawa, Canada
26 May 2000

Everyone gave an excellent performance, especially Alan Rickman (one of my heros), Ben Affleck and of course, Kevin Smith (who played a lovable Silent Bob). Alanis Morrissette's quirky performance as God in the final scenes of the film was incredible and I'm just sorry the movie ended when it did. This took the "crusade" type film to a whole new level, while raising some serious questions about organized religion as it now stands. Applause to Smith for his courage and vision in this film (we love Silent Bob!) and I personally loved all the pop culture film references :) See it. Five stars, 2 thumbs up, whatever.

Wonderfully funny and very well acted by all! Hats off to Kevin Smith!

Author: pharalinga from Oregon, USA
25 May 2000

Grade: A- This movie rocks. The Whole gang loved it and we laughed hard. I particularly like it when a cast commits itself to a concept and this cast did a fine job. Everyone was completely believable. Kevin Smith is a force to be reconned with. I sincerely hope we see much more from him soon. Thank you Kevin for another job well done!

A festival of roguish sarcasm with a surprising message.

Author: ladyrogue from USA
25 May 2000

Once again, Kev and company provide a feast of one liners disguised as a movie. Dogma surpasses Chasing Amy, and Mallrats (Batman tricks not withstanding). The pokes and prods they take at stodgy tradition probably won't open the eyes of the powers that wanna be, but they obviously shook somebody up. How long did it take this movie to be released?

Angels and devils

Author: lib-4 from florida
24 May 2000

I have always like Kevin Smith's movies... I am glad to see he is finally attracting stars like Affleck and Damon to his works. This is irreverent and at time raunchy-- but worthwhile. Also Silent Bob rules! Chris Rock is very good as Rufus and Allanis Morrisette in her surprising role.

Kevin Smith's best work to date

Author: BruddahChrispy from Redmond, Washington, USA
23 May 2000

Kevin Smith continues to mature as a director and writer. His latest effort, Dogma, is a masterpiece of both casting and dialog. Although some may take offense at the subject matter I found it very pro-God, which is not to say it is pro-religion. It skewers the inconsistencies in Catholic dogma with needle-sharp precision.

Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, and Linda Fiorentino are excellent in the starring roles. Alan Rickman's entrance is one of the highlights of the movie. Chris Rock, Selma Hayek, and Jason Lee provide solid performances. Although George Carlin is excellent in his role, I found his interpretation of the character to be a little too much George Carlin and not enough Cardinal Glick. Fans of Jay and Silent Bob will love their expanded screen time.

Irreverent and funny religious satire

Author: FlickJunkie-2 from Atlanta, GA
22 May 2000

This film is a wickedly irreverent lampoon of religion that holds a mirror up to the inconsistencies and absurdities of Christian biblical mythos, and more specifically Catholic dogma, by putting it in a modern context.

It is the story of two fallen angels, Bartleby (Ben Affleck) and Loki (Matt Damon) that have been cast out of heaven and banished to live in Wisconsin. With the help of their friend, the devil Azrael (Jason Lee), they discover a loophole that allows them plenary absolution during a ceremony at a Church in New Jersey. If they enter this church, they will be forgiven and be able to get back into heaven. The trouble is that if they do this, God will be proven fallible and existence will come to an end. So Metatron (Alan Rickman) recruits Bethany (Linda Fiorentino) who is the last scion of Christ to help stop them from entering the church. The rest of the story is basically an action adventure/comedy sendup culminating in a confrontation on the church steps.

Kevin Smith's story starts out razor sharp, with biting intellectual humor that mocks some of the basic tenets of religious belief, while simultaneously broaching some pretty deep philosophical questions. Unfortunately, as the film progresses, the edge is lost and it degenerates into a slapstick action flick with occasional returns to the religious allusions. Overall, it was very entertaining, but the story could have been so much more if it stayed on point with wry intellectual forays, rather than degenerating into farce.

The cast was delightful. Matt Damon gets a chance to play a little less serious role and brings an enchanting comic naivete to Loki, the former angel of death and vengeance. Affleck is the most intellectual and serious of the characters, and it is his ability to stay sincerely serious in absurd situations that makes him so funny. Linda Fiorentino was terrific as the Catholic girl who had lost her faith. She had a wonderful ability to broach disturbing thoughts that almost all of us have about God and religion, while maintaining a sense of mocking self doubt and comical despair.

Chris Rock plays the spiritual guide; the unheralded 13th apostle of Christ. He brings his usual ironic style and hilarious assortment of facial reactions and steals more than half the laughs in the film. And then there were Kevin Smith and Jason Mewes, once again reprising their roles and Silent Bob and Jay (a trademark of Kevin Smith films, he finds a way to insert these two characters into almost every movie he does). There were also bit parts for Salma Hayek, George Carlin and Alanis Morissette (as God).

This is a entertaining film that missed its chance to be a classic religious parody by losing its soul and going off the deep end. Still, if you have the ability to have a sense of humor about God, there is a lot of good comedy here. I gave it a 7/10. Religious zealots steer clear. This movie will either offend you or shake your faith.