IMDb > Dogma (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dogma

Dogma More at IMDbPro »

Page 22 of 102: [Prev][17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [32] [Next]

promising? . . .

Author: gregory.mitchell (gregory.mitchell@mtv.com) from NYC
18 July 2000

Kevin Smith doesn't strike me as a particularly *gifted* filmmaker - he always seemed to be a funny guy who really likes the things he writes about and films. Therefore, I don't see any real point in trying to overstate how great Clerks is, and the unimpressive yet harmless Mallrats all but confirms that for me. Clerks seems to be some kind of watershed for "slacker/DYI" comedy when it's simply a movie about New Jersey kids with some funny dialogue - and there's nothing wrong with that.

Dogma struck me as the first *film* Smith has yet made. There's something to it that doesn't exist in Clerks, Mallrats or Chasing Amy. It doesn't need Jason Lee and Jay & Silent Bob to carry it like in previous Smith movies. This film definitely takes advantage of the great cast of celebrities & personalities, but there is *something* driving it all - an interesting storyline and a subject that intrigues people (and I'm not even referring to the more sensational/controversial Catholic baiting either).

Dogma isn't **4 stars great,** but it's kind of cool because now I can maybe see Smith as more than a simple yet creative Jersey guy who really digs comics "and stuff."

not catholic, loved dogma!

Author: sperri40 from brooklyn, new york
12 July 2000

i am not catholic and i thought dogma was great. i don't think you needed to be catholic at all to appreciate the humor in this movie. this was just another great kevin smith film...catholic or not!

sean

Great time

Author: jdvrana
9 July 2000

This latest Kevin Smith film, whose work I always rely on, is one of the best films I've seen this year. I'm also so sick of hearing people say that it's too sac-religious. It wasn't really at all. It's fun to watch, has a very intelligent plot, and great performances. This being one of the few movies I find really funny, and having a great amount of edge, I'd give it an 8.5 out of 10. ...for those who haven't seen his other films, see them.

Hey gang, let's make a movie!

Author: moviefan-78 from chicago
7 July 2000

I saw this as one of those "buddy" movies. The two pals wanted to see if they could do something weird and get it distributed. However, I don't remember seeing this in any theater last year, and we go the movies quite regularly. Also, I am not really certain that there was an actual written script, although someone is credited as being the writer. It seemed to my wife and me that many of the Damon/Affleck scenes were pure adlib. Perhaps they had some religious beefs to get across - a Catholic upbringing where they were caned regularly by nuns, but I don't know if they are Catholic or any religion, actually. Linda Fiorentino seemed to be reprising her role from "Men in Black" - maybe not tougher than Sigourney Weaver, but more thoughtful. And we thought that "Being John Malkovich" was a strange movie!This goes to the top

great religious comedy

Author: Jeff Colvin (tweeder102284@aol.com) from BR, La
5 July 2000

I think Dogma isn't that much of a satire even if Kevin Smith tried it to be. It made a lot of sense. I'm a Christian and I completely follow the main moral of the movie: "Have ideas, not beliefs." A great message another one I followed is "Don't mourn your faith, celebrate it." Not only does this movie send out a great message I found myself practically rolling on the floor. I love Kevin Smith movies, "Clerks", "Mallrats", and "Chasing Amy" were all great. I love the returning Kevin Smith movie alumnis: Jason Lee(Azrael), Brian O'Halloran(Gill Hicks the TV reporter), Scott Mosier(Smooching seaman), Ben Affleck(Bartleby, who started out in Kevin Smith movies before his claim to fame in "Good Will Hunting.") and of course the Red Bank blunt connection Jay and Silent Bob played by Jason Mewes and writer and director Kevin Smith. And a full, talented cast: Matt Damon, Linda Fiorentino(she's a slut..bonngg!), Salma Hayek, Alan Rickman, Chris Rock, and the great actor George Carlin.

Dogma is a religious comedy about 2 angels Bartleby and Loki dropped down from heaven into Milwaukee for all eternity. One day discovering a way back to heaven by basically tricking God which could cause total chaos. So the Voice of God Metaron is sent down from heaven to inform the "Last Zion" Bethany, Metaron tells her the whole story telling her that before her journey she'll the need the help of 2 prophets who are Jay and Silent Bob. Along the way the unknown black 13th Apostle Rufus helps them......it's really hard to explain off the top of my head! But I give "Dogma" 10/10!!! Snootchie Bootchies!!

Gross-Funny

Author: abaris from Klosterneuburg, Austria
5 July 2000

This film is cheap and you can see it. But overall it's a gross and funny movie. And most of all it is respectless and I love that. Many Catholics may be offended by the way religiosity is displayed in the feature, but it doesn't seem to be against religion itself. I gave it only a mediocre rating, because the plot doesn't seem to be very sophisticated. The (really funny) jokes seem to be standing for themself and not for the story.

Brilliant comedy adventure by Kevin Smith

Author: Kai-18 from Heaven
3 July 2000

Though I'm not a huge Kevin Smith fan I loved Clerks and this is really close to being just as good. Though some of the jokes don't work (Like the Excremental) it is very fun with a great cast (amazing having George Carlin as a Cardinal) and a never take yourself to seriously attitude. The movie had some good messages and really makes you think about the way we view religion.

Cool as Hell!

Author: Kel from PA
3 July 2000

Now being offensive to religious people, I don't care. This movie was great. So it poked fun at religious stuff just a little, I am Catholic and I didn't seem to be offended in any way. This movie had it all, humor, violence and a great cast. Rent this movie tonite! 8/10 Rated R for sex stuff, violence, offending material and language Also Recommended: Dumb and Dumber

Dogma is a dog

Author: brianmellow from Indianapolis, IN
3 July 2000

I wasn't offended by this movie, but it was a little over the top for my taste. I watched it because of an enthusiastic recommendation by my niece. I agreed with Donald Roy Airey's comments that it seemed like "Wayne's World" meets "Prophecy". I love a good satire, and nothing is sacred, but this movie could have used a lot more subtlety to be keep my interest. I really hate it when I start hearing myself being preached to in a movie, and there were a number of those moments also. A movie is funny because it simply is funny, and doesn't try too hard to get there. This one just didn't get there for me.

'Ruler of the View Askewiverse'

Author: lewser from Liverpool, England
1 July 2000

I have been a fan of Kevin Smith for a long time, a very long time. Of the three films preceeding this one my favourite was 'Mallrats', however Mallrats' place on the throne as king of the 'view askewniverse' was anything but secure. I was planning to see 'Dogma' on boxing day, but having been struck with Christmas fever I decided not to join my friends and fellow Kev lovers. That night my friend phoned me to nicely inform me how stupid I had been and how fantastic 'Dogma' was. I was bitterly disappointed and decided to see it the very next day. My friend held it in such high regard he joined me regardless of only seeing it less than 24 hours previous. To my joy I found he was absolutely right. 'Dogma' was an absolute joy to watch. It was the true ruler of the 'view askewniverse', but puns aside this became my favourite of all Kevin's movies. It has so much going for it. Kevin is such a funny man, true most of the jokes in this film include a lot of 'naughty words' but what most people do not realise is THEY ARE STILL VERY VERY VERY FUNNY.

If you have ever seen one of his films, you will know how rib splittingly, gut bustingly funny Jay and Silent Bob, the New Jersey stoners are. I can honestly say, they are at their absolute best in this their fourth movie. Jay has never been so funny, you may say this is down to Kev's script and this may be partially true but Jason Mewes has never acted so well, looked so funny and deserves a lot of credit. The best part of watching this film for a second time, is concentrating on Silent Bob even when the focus is supposed to be on somebody else because he is always doing something funny, pulling a face as somebody says something with strong sexual content or doing something with arms, you guarantee he will be doing something. This is different to his other performances, not to say they were not funny, they were very funny, but this is a fresh alternative. Watching this will help highlight how much of a comic talent this man really is.

Other highlights of this piece were Ben Affleck, someone I have always been a fan of especially in 'Chasing Amy', who was excellent in this film, he really is a fabulous actor in my opinion. I was also surprised by Matt Damon, a man I have never liked but one who was very sharp in this, after seeing this I was eager to see more of Mr Damon's work and he certainly is impressive. But the master stroke was making the leg quiveringly exquisite Salma Hayek a muse turn exotic dancer, a part she showed a talent for in Robert Rodriguez's 'From Dusk Til Dawn'. Certainly a key scene in this film is her opener. I find it hard to take my eyes off her during this film and she also plays a very entertaining role.

Full marks to Mr Smith, he has done it again. He may not have a huge following but he certainly warrants one. This was his most successful cinema outing and deserves to be. People criticise it for it's unholy content, but it has to be said, this is pathetic. It is closer to anti-freeze than anti-christ, and those who protested against it wanted nothing more than a little publicity. Kevin Smith himself is in fact a catholic, as well as this, he is a true comedy god, whoops false idol sorry, I meant he is a real comedy genius.