IMDb > Dogma (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dogma

Dogma More at IMDbPro »

Page 20 of 102: [Prev][15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [Next]

No, no, noooooooooooo!

Author: Ash-127 from Ireland
9 October 2000

I was so so disappointed with this film. I loved "Clerks" and "Chasing Amy" and was really expecting something great from Smith. But this was terrible, the plot was ropey, the acting was awful (Linda whatsherface made me want to rip off my arm and beat her with it until she just SHUT UP AND STOPPED FLICKING HER EYES !) and the ending was pathetic.This should never be inflicted on anyone .Ever.Thank God for Jay. He was the only thing that actually got me through the film.......OK, rant ended.

A 'landmark' in its own way.

Author: (B-A)
8 October 2000

While there is no doubt that Dogma is a good movie, it's also a good example for how a 'brilliant' idea can turn out 'less than brilliant' with the help of some main stream pleasing, box-office producing, big studio managers.

Dogma excels in brilliant insights which manage to tear apart the ridiculous and somewhat immature ideas of the institutionalized religion concept. Hilarious interpretations for God's gender and his alleged death give Dogma that rare smell of innovation that so many big studio movies these days lack.

Sadly though, Dogma suffers from the worse case of multiple personality you'll ever see in a movie. The movie is characterized in radical mood swings and atmosphere changes. One moment it's a smart and hilarious movie and the next moment it turns to something so sticky and religious that no 'Sunday's school' would have been ashamed of. While watching, and enjoying if I may say, Dogma, you always have that disturbing feeling that a religious consultant of some sort was present on the movie's set at all time, working overtime trying to balance every 'sacrilegious' scene with a matching 'God fearing' scene.

One of the highlights of Dogma is its ability to present fundamental theological concepts, as God and 'Faith', from a unique perspective, so different from the 'Religious' perspective and paradoxically at the same time loyal to the meaning of the 'original text'.

Humanizing God and his servants would have been considered sacrilegious in most major religions, even though in the Bible it is clearly said that man was made in "..the image of God.." (Genesis 1,27). The original verse in Hebrew is even more clear and leaves no doubt that the makers of Dogma understood The book of Genesis and the 'miracle of creation' better than most religious Dogmas in the past Millennium or so.

Dogma goes out against every modern religious approach which makes the belief more important than the believer. This important saying in Dogma along side with its mockery for the Calvinist ideas (religious mortification and orthodoxy) which are becoming popular again in America, lead to the conclusion that among the makers of Dogma were no doubt some 'normal' religious/non-atheist people whose goal was to deliver the following message through the movie: "Lighten up people, not even God takes himself that seriously".

Dogma's strongest side is its cast. From the rightfully known Ben Afleck and Matt Damon to the hilarious Metatron and stoned 'prophets', Dogma forms a praiseworthy cast. This cast manage to salvage even the most 'religious' scenes from total disaster and give them some meaning, through excellent acting.

A note also must be said about Alanis Morissette's part as God. The role of the all mighty himself combined with literally no line to be said makes Alanis's part the best part possible for a non-actor person, and she performs it well. As one viewer put it in reply for another viewer's amazement of the lack of words in Allanis's part: She's God! what else can you ask for?!

Overall Dogma is a smart and funny comedy worth watching despite all its obvious flaws. It's safe to say that Dogma is an important movie and even a 'landmark' in its own way.

Me and God were hanging, and ...

Author: madshell from Ft. Lauderdale, FL USA
3 October 2000

<madshell kneels in front of the living God of Dogma, who is doing a handstand on a nearby tree>

Maybe cut the guy some slack, God. He's a got a great sense of humour and he makes others laugh -- and think, too. How often is that coupled so brilliantly in a motion picture? I mean, that's cool, right? Dogma is an honest masterpiece of satire, maybe rough around the edges? Whattaya say?

<thunderous loud sound>

I know, I know; some of the priests that worship you are upset about it. I guess they'll always be so serious like that, but c'est la vie, right God?

<thunderous loud sound again>

Yes, I do agree he should have chosen someone a little more likeable than Linda Fiorentino for the lead -- but God (that's not in vain, I'm addressing you) he's Kevin Smith and he works with a small budget. And you agree with me; the film was good? You liked it, right?

<slightly less thunder sound>

Alanis Morissette, yeah -- you do kinda look like her when the light hits ya...

Kevin Smith's Jersey Flicks Part 4: Not quite yet the final insult

Author: stamper from The Netherlands
25 September 2000

Well at the beginning it already becomes very clear, what kind of film you are in for. A comedy, but not only that a comedy that is a tag stupid. Not as stupid as Hot Shots though but still it is not intelligent and it is far away from normal. This however does not say that the film is bad, for odd films do seem to have an attraction sometimes. This one is not different. Ok this is not Mallrats, but it sure beats the hell out of Chasing Amy.

The story of this one seems very easy, two angels who were cast out from Heaven find a way back in and must be stopped, or the world will end. But this is not the bottom line of the movie, for it is so much deeper than that. There is a lot of mocking and satire going on here, but also a kind of admiration for faith. It is a mixture of what most young people nowadays think I guess and that is that believe is good, but sometimes organisations like the Catholic church overdo it. They are too hypocrite and stuff. So rather believe your own belief. Some might find this insulting, but hey, all I can say is: The FIRST amendment and hell, it's TRUE, so stop nagging.

The actors well there is a lot to say of them, but here comes the short version. You all know at least a couple of these actors I presume and know they are good, but it just might happen, that like me you think at the beginning that they suck. Fear not my friend, it is merely the effort you have to make to get into the movie and the story that makes you think that. Later you will say the actors were good. You will also say the story was good, the jokes were (most of the time) good and you will have to say that it had a few flaws, but you enjoyed it. Look out for his last of the NJ series soon.

8 out of 10

Another hilarious movie from Smith

Author: OgrePenguin from USA
15 September 2000

Kevin Smith is an excellent writer, and a good director. His acknowledgement of the ironic, absurd, or hypocritical is nothing short of brilliant. This is not a movie for the faint of heart, or the easily offended, however. The devoutly religious will probably despise this movie, though in most cases it would be difficlut to squeeze a needle into the closed mind typical of that sort. The dialogue is written in Smith's familiar "Jersey prose", with plenty of obscenities, and if you find that language offensive, be warned. All in all, this is a great movie. Loosen up you sense of humor, open your mind, and laugh your ass off!

A movie that takes a risk

Author: TiWoMan from united states
14 September 2000

Dogma is a movie that I highly enjoyed. It is not like every other film that is out there. Kevin Smith is not afraid to push the envelope and I sure he made enemies with this film. That is one of the reasons that I liked it. It took a stance against something that people sometime take too serious.

Alan Rickman is fantastic and even Alanis impressed me.

I recommend that you see it even if you don't agree with the plot line. Everybody's got to hate something.

one more compliment

Author: praha (mmindell@knox.edu) from Buenos Aires, Argentina
13 September 2000

All I knew going into this movie was it was "maybe about angels and I think Chris Rock is in it." I came out wanting to write screenplays. If nothing else, this movie is true art in that it inspires one to think. Even if you didn't like this movie, it succeeds in forcing you to think about its subject and form some kind of opinion of your own. That's all I ever expect from the movies I watch.

Ain't He got no thunder for Kevin Smith?

Author: novice-7 (bondarenkomb@rtr-tv.ru) from Moscow, Russia
28 August 2000

The word that came to my mind on seeing the flick was "ahtstOj", the Russian teens' slang for "it sucks". Man, isn't this schlock awful! Matt, Ben, how could you sign up to it? The idea of treating a subject like that so shabbily! In my opinion, the greatest story ever told deserves a far more profound and subtler interpretation. Atheist that I am, I find this movie offensive -- to my taste if not to my religious sentiment. For those who are lucky enough not to have seen this rubbish: the shtick is essentially a teen-comedy travesty of the biblical themes and characters. Meant for the MTV-crazed kids who do not know the first thing about Christianity. Commercialism seems to be Mr Smith's profession de foi (but then that is the name of the Hollywood game). To curry favour with teens -- and earn himself some dough -- he plays to the gallery turning the great story into a gross farce, with nothing sacred. Unlike Pasolini or Jewison, he's got no challenging message to get across. The only thing he is after is the really filthy lucre and -- pardon the misnomer -- amusement.

Back in the 60s, Lennon made the gaffe of saying they were more popular than Jesus Christ. Next day the Fab Four's name was mud all over the U. S. South. Nowadays people appear to be stomaching this tripe all right. New days, new ways?

Be ready for a LOT of dialogue!

Author: cousteau from Arctic sea
4 August 2000

Besides having the characteristic Kevin Smith downfall of wa-a-ay too much dialogue, this a cute little film, though it seems to turn from a satire on Catholicism to a silly 'hey...it's really all true!'version of it..weird, but that is what he intended to make us feel. I thought Alan Rickman and Salma Hayek were both funny, and, though that Jay kid is really pathetic, he's sometimes funny as well. I thought Affleck & Damon were okay.

The plot (especially during the first half of the movie) really seemed to reveal interesting insights on not only Catholicism, but Christianity as well. Like why is Jesus always represented as a solemn person in Catholicism? or Why wouldn't there be (if Christianity was ,in fact, all factual) a flesh-and-blood descendant of Jesus Christ?

bye, Sep

A Comic Book

Author: James Talley (jtalley4n6@aol.com) from Salina, KS
30 July 2000

Alright, alright. This film is hilarious, controversial and very Kevin Smith. Unfortunately, nothing about it was very fresh. Some of the gags took on new forms, but essentially this material's dated and unoriginal. I assume Smith felt his musings on religion in general and Catholicism in specific were new under the sun, but we've really seen most of this film in various forms--most of them in "recovering Catholic" stand-up routines. And stand-up is really what the film is: Smith's unorthodox observations and reflections stitched to a comic book plot and characters. The story itself is a series of complications and delays allowing Smith to break up the talking head sessions with a smidge more movement. It's a long--funny, don't get me wrong (and for the record, shockingly politically incorrect but hardly offensive)--bull session about religion, among skeptics and stoners, disguised by the pretense of events unfolding. Good fun, but probably Smith's weakest work (Chasing Amy & Mallrats tying for first, followed by Clerks). Would have been much less cluttered if they'd edited out the plot and handed the script to Chris Rock to do on stage.