IMDb > Dogma (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dogma

Dogma More at IMDbPro »

Page 16 of 102: [Prev][11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [Next]

So good but so bad at the same time

Author: stephie_the_face from Canada
10 June 2001

I feel really bad saying that this movie was really good but I can't help it. It was soooo funny that I was rolling on the ground. But at the same time it was horrible. They were taking shots at God left, right and centre. But I guess it's all in the name of fun. Everyone in this movie was great. I especially loved Chris Rock and "Silent Bob." Ben and Matt were great too. This movie was hilarious but if you're a strong Christian, do not see it, it's very offensive.

Incredible view

Author: bhenoo from toronto, canada
24 May 2001

Religion is a subject that we often discuss. We all have our opinions on it and we've, at one point in our lives, studied it roughly (for some).Dogma is a movie that pushes this subject to its limits. The creators weren't scared of taking chances and saying what others discuss among themselves. Its an artistic project , in which fiction concreted , in an original way, the thoughts of those who made this movie. Its a subjective movie but at the same time, while giving an opinion , it reveals facts that we, the viewer, know that they are real.

We live in the 21st century, and so , there are certain things that we understand more and that we relate to .Dogma reaches out to our generation and therefore the modernization of the Bible (that is an important aspect to understand this movie) is meant to touch us so we can understand this sacred book better.

I really liked this movie and I enjoyed analyzing it.

Plenty Funny, But doesn't go anywhere, except Jersey.

Author: bpreacher from Florida
21 May 2001

Most Kevin Smith fans would think of me as a shut in, I haven't seen Mallrats or Clerks. But I did see Chasing Amy and enjoyed that. I think Kevin is an excellent writer but Dogma as a whole left me wondering exactly what was he trying to say. The cast choices made sense about 50% of the time. The dialogue between characters was excellent. But I think the characters should only have to say the same line once. Never more than twice.

Affleck and Damon were obvious choices for their roles. Linda Fiorentino is always a favorite. I think Salma Hayek's role could have been left out. Or at least choosed a different actress. She is lovely to look at until she tries to carry a conversation and then the film starts to come off the projector. Chris Rock is hilarious in a stand up routine but other than using the f word he didn't seem to have any other talents here. Jay and Silent Bob I've decided have some sort of cult following that I will never understand. (there are plenty of dopeheads in my neighborhood, I don't pay attention to them either)but interestingly enough, I though Jason Lee was absolutely perfect in a bad guy role. I hope we see more of him in the future.

Despite the hilarious dialog the film fell apart right about the 2 hour mark. it should have ended there. None of the ideas were really that fresh, it's just Kevin hadn't yet taken his turn to beat them into our heads like religious organizations do. But he never could seem to decide who he was representing. He spent the first half of the film telling us to lighten up with our beliefs and then the second half of the film telling us to be serious about them. All the while paying no attention to the people who find all religious belief systems to be absurd. Having Christians and Catholics argue about religion is like watching monkeys do long division. they all seem to be missing the point.

Keep an eye for George Carlin, his first seen is the best in the movie. Janeane Garofolo makes a appearance but not for long, Thank god, no pun intended. I suggest everyone should see this film. but save your DVD money.

funny

Author: BRYAN from la
20 May 2001

jay and bob are the best i did not laugh once until they got on the screen.i mean chris rock was good but did hold up to jay and bob. the best part was when the jumped those guys.selma was very sexy as she always is. if you liked mallrats you will love this. you will if you do not well you are very weird

Not blasphemous - just bad.

Author: Mercader79
24 April 2001

I badly wanted Dogma to be good. When I first heard Kevin Smith was doing a religious film and about the subsequent outrage this had provoked from the Church and the usual quarters, my heart leapt. I am a big Kevin Smith fan - from Clerks, his superb debut, the unfairly maligned Mallrats through to the enjoyable Chasing Amy, his work has been a constant boon to US independent cinema in recent years. Now was his chance to echo the comedic success on a religious theme of The Life of Brian and to repeat the controversy of Scorsese's Last Temptation of Christ.

Dogma is certainly full of amusing and witty ideas. What did Jesus do during the mysterious 'middle years' between twelve and thirty, upon which the Bible is silent? Why not have a priest proposing a new logo - a Jesus giving a thumbs-up sign - to replace the 'depressing' crucifix symbol? The Bible belt's predictable cries of blasphemy are unsurprisingly ill founded to. Dogma is overly deferential to Smith's Catholic Church if anything.

I want to see the film reminiscent of Chesterton and high satire on religion which some have alluded to. But the film I saw was a disastrous mess. The antics of Jay and Silent Bob (surely time to give these two a rest?) and Damon and Affleck's angels didn't mesh at all with the otherwise epic themes on show. Somehow I managed to ignore the film's numerous flaws for the most part until quite near the end. Alan Rickman's performance was terrible - I would say he was wholly unsuited to comedy had he not been so brilliant since in Galaxy Quest. He sounded like an American attempting an English accent (something of a feat as he is English). Then there was the general feeling that Smith was trying to make two ultimately irreconcilable movies - religious satire and Mallrats-style caper at once. But at some point - probably when the camera was lingering on bullets being fired into Affleck's angel wings - the horrible truth became unavoidable. Kevin Smith has made his first bad movie. And this is surely the greatest sin of all.

Not as good as you'll remember

Author: Ripe Peach from Glasgow, Scotland
22 April 2001

I remember being pleasantly surprised by Dogma on its cinema release, but now that I watch the DVD, I realise that I was probably just filtering out everything except Jay's mirthful disjoints and Salma Hayek's appearance (before she starts speaking).

Let's summarise the positives: Buddy Christ. Jay and Silent Bob. Salma Hayek before she opens her mouth. Mooby, epecially the boardroom scene.

Now the negatives: everything else. Yes, even Alan Rickman, who seems bizarrely to be *faking* an English accent. And especially Chris Rock, who mugs shamelessly, and Salma Hayek who (sorry fans) just can't act convincingly in English. I really wish she could, because she's smart gorgeous, and un-Hollywood, but she simply can't carry a line. Perhaps she'd be better on stage.

And yes, Dogma is over verbose. By that I mean that the same ideas are repeated over and over, sometimes even in the same shot. I felt as though I was been bludgeoned around the head, and most of the ideas weren't even that interesting or original.

The directing is also (sorry Kevin!) very shoddy. Many scenes consist of actors repeating the same gestures during an extended speech, or restraining each other to pad an action scene (hint to Kevin, you can't have two people hold each other back). You can get away with improvisation in character scenes, but it really ruins action shots.

The thing that really bugs me is Kevin's repeated use of Deus ex machina to advance the plot. I can't decide if he couldn't think of better devices, if he genuinely thought all the ex machinas were funny, or if he's making a point; the hospital scene is, after all, quite literally Deus ex machina.

I wish Dogma were a better film, because I really wanted to like it. Unfortunately there are too many flaws for it to be a genuine classic.

Great idea, lousy execution!

Author: Dax-8 from Perth, Australia
19 April 2001

When I saw the plot summary for this film, I thought to myself, "Great idea", look forward to watching this. But once the film started and got to about halfway through, I was quite disappointed. The couple of points that irritated me were the casting of the characters, some of them, in fact, nearly all of them, just didn't come across as the right actors for the job. Also, most of the swearing was out of place too, I'm no prude by any means, but I felt the script could have done without two thirds of the "f" word. I watched the film to the end, and felt a sense of discontent that it all really was a waste of talent and effort.

Funniest movie ever!

Author: Tez (tezshouse@iprimus.com.au) from Melbourne, Australia
18 April 2001

Definitely the best in the series, great casting and an even better story line. This is a laugh all the way through, Jay and Silent Bob are the funniest duo in movie history. The content may be hard for some people to accept but this is a movie, and if you take it for what it is then you will no doubt enjoy it.

this movie is the greatest!

Author: JadeD2822 from Chicago, Illinois
14 April 2001

This movie is beyond cool. Ben Affleck and Matt Damon are awesome, and of course, no one can surpass Silent Bob and Jay. I especially loved Jason Lee, but that's a whole other story altogether. All in all, Dogma is a cool movie, but not necessarily one for the grandma and the kids.

BEST MOVIE I'VE EVER SEEN!!! (rated P-G for content)

Author: acyd_bernz (acyd_bernz@thefragile.com) from IOWA
6 April 2001

This movie not only makes you think, but you will also laugh you ass off!

When the movie first started, I was a little taken back by the beating of the old man. After the movie was over I realized why that needed to be in there. This movie was so wonderfully written. It is a movie for people who are questioning religion. It makes people think about religion, how it is corrupt. It adds humor to make the message a little easier for "believers" to take. It's a slap in the face for those who have based their being on religion. The people in the movie did an excellent job with all their roles. Everyone fit the role they played, and they did it very well. There is nothing to complain about. This movie is the best movie i have ever seen. If you haven't seen Dogma.. you are defenitly missing out on one of the most controversial/excellent movies ever made!