IMDb > Dirty Work (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

Good Comedy

Author: boy13 from Australia
28 June 2011

The movie is light refreshing comedy. The movie is though extremely predictable, it is still a good view. It differs from typical romantic comedies which starts well then go down and in end all is well.

The movie is quite different from ordinary teen comedies. It has really good concept of not allowing anybody to dominate you. However movie could have done much better with stronger story line and tighter script.The movie could do well with few more punch lines and witty dialog. The female role does not have any significance. The story mostly revolves around the money needed by the guys for some purpose.

Overall the movie is quite fast paced and feel good type.

These guys deliver plenty of dirty deeds done dirt cheap.

Author: tyler-and-jack from Edinburgh.
24 April 2010

This star vehicle for Norm MacDonald, directed by Bob Saget, is absolutely hilarious from start to finish. IF it's to your particular taste.

The main thrust of the movie concerns the friends Mitch (played by Norm) and Sam (Artie Lange) finally embracing Mitch's dubious talents to run a "revenge scheme" business that they hope will enable them to quickly raise the $50,000 they need for a new heart for Sam's dad (Jack Warden). Which means we get a number of great skits as the childish pair strike back on behalf of others. But when they get the attention of powerful developer, Travis Cole (the great Christoper McDonald), they realise that they may have bitten off more than they can chew.

With a cast including those already mentioned and the likes of Chris Farley, Chevy Chase, David Koechner and great cameos for the likes of Rebecca Romjin, Gary Coleman and Adam Sandler this is a major slice of comedy heaven for those who like their laughs bawdy and juvenile. Norm MacDonald's deadpan delivery is so dry that it almost becomes sand so it's easy to see why many would not take to him but the script is so chock full of great one-liners that it would really be a shame if viewers discarded the movie simply because they did not find the leading man appealing enough.

A fun soundtrack, a thin story that simply lets the characters move from one gag to the next and a great mix of big, laugh out loud moments (the scene with Mitch and Sam planting fish around someone's house devolves into something absurdly hilarious) with small chuckles - what more could you want from a breezy comedy that does not even attempt to have any depth or extraneous emotional baggage. Sure, we get Traylor Howard as a prospective love interest but not to the detriment of the laughs.

See this if you like: Happy Gilmore, Billy Madison, Super Troopers.

Bravo Bob Saget

Author: view_and_review from California
7 June 2007

Bravo I say. This was a solid directorial job by Saget, and this was a solid comedy overall. I liked this movie. I wasn't gah gah over it, but I liked it. There was a solid cast and a solid script.

Now, having said that... The lead actor (Norm Macdonald) probably did as much harm as good. He is a nerd type, which is what the role called for, but he has no range. He reminds me of a Gilbert Godfried or his opposite in the guy who played the science teacher in Fast Times of Ridgemont High. His emotional display and tone starts at indifference and goes a little up or a little down from there. I thought there were several scenes in which a more vociferous or ostentatious actor would have made the scene funnier. I've seen Norm do stand up before, and while he's not all that funny to me, his nasally nerdy voice goes well for the material he writes for himself as a stand up comic; but it doesn't translate well on screen. Still, the movie concept was excellent, and I thought it was executed well with what Saget had.

The Funniest Dumbest Comedy Ever

Author: (bobwire75@hotmail.com) from Boston, Mass
5 May 2002

Norm McDonald is the funniest man alive. His extremely dry sense of humor and really bad acting make this movie a true classic. This movie is also Bob Saget's first attempt at directing. The casting in this movie is just like a best of SNL with Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, Chevy Chase and Norm McDonald. This movie is a must see, you will laugh a lot.

If you like "irrevent acerbic humor"

Author: Toronto2sec-1 from Toronto, Ontario, Canada
12 October 2001

Life's not so great for Mitch Weaver (Norm MacDonald) he's lost his 14th job in 3 weeks, his girlfriend dumped him, and now his best friend's dad (Jack Warden) needs a new heart! But the only way to arrange the transplant is to cut a deal with a compulsive gambling doctor (Chevy Chase) - in other words find $50,000 dollars or the old man dies. So Mitch and his friend have to rely on their only natural talent, REVENGE!

Out of 10-7.2

one of the funniest movies ever

Author: jimwhite99 from kankakee, Il
6 August 2001

This movie is sooooo funny. I love every single thing the main characters do to get back at people. Norm MacDonald is a really funny guy. I like the acting in this movie. It is absolutely horrible, but that's what makes the movie so funny. This movie has a lot of funny people in small roles (Chris Farley, Chevy Chase, Don Rickles, Adam Sandler, and John Goodman). My favorite character in this movie is Jack Warden's. I love how the only thing he thinks about is whores. I also love all the references to prostitutes from Norm in this movie. My favorite part is MEN IN BLACK Who Like to Have Sex With Each Other. I laughed so hard after that. I just couldn't stop. I recommend this movie to anyone with a sense of humor. Well that's all.Good bye.

Funny in bad taste

Author: bc-33 from oregon, usa
6 May 2000

If someone urinates on another person from the top of a building (albeit not on purpose) and its funny to you, then check this movie out. It's not well written or smart, but the movie does what its suppose to--makes the viewers laugh. Don't think while watching this movie, just watch and laugh.

Good God, People!

Author: pbscores from USA
14 August 1999

Sure, this movie is dumb. You were expecting "The Unbearable Lightness of Being"? Seeking enlightenment, were you? This movie was silly with absolutely no value at all, other than simply being a dumb, slapstick movie without any intellectual value. If you go into it with that frame of mind, I think you'll enjoy it (at a matinee price, of course) like I did. But if you go in expecting the world to open up for you, my friends, you are in the wrong place.

This is a very good movie with a few downs.

Author: John Shaouni (s0ckobomb@aol.com)
3 May 1999

I think that Dirty Work is a good movie. The plot is a good one for a comedy. Norm McDonald is a very good comedian and really makes the movie great. Most of the co-stars are also very funny which helps out the movie. The major down in this movie is that Norm Mcdonald has a slightly dorky character. He sound as if he were a bad actor which he is not.

Hmmmmmmmmm, pretty good.

Author: BRUISE from KANSAS CITY
18 March 1999

Yes, this movie is not the best ever made. However, it is a funny movie. Numerous cameos (Gary Coleman, Adam Sandler, and CHRIS FARLEY!!! to name a few.) The movie keeps you on your feet with Norm's typical dry, witty humor. It keeps you rolling with various buffoon humor scenes. Quite frankly, I enjoyed the movie. This is one of those that the more you watch, the more you pick up on. So, give it another go if you saw it and were disappointed. And if you never saw it--it's worth the time and money. On another note--Chris Farley's small cameo was ten times better that his leading role in Almost Heroes. This is how I like to remember Farley, when I think of his final roles.

Page 5 of 12: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]