IMDb > Dirty Work (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Now They've Made Revenge Funny

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
26 February 2006

None of the three young stars of this film - Norm MacDonald, Artie Lange or Traylor Howard - ever became movie stars but they combined to make this a funny film, albeit what I call a lame-brain (somewhat low-class but effective humor) one.

This is not an untypical comedy of today: tons of sleazy jokes, sightgags, a lightweight romance story, a generally stupid story and a happy ending.....yet this one was far more appealing than most I've seen. Although the language could be worse, why this isn't rated "R" is beyond me. It is not for teens but I'll bet many of them watched and enjoyed this, as well as older people like me.

MacDonald is a very likable guy in the lead. He just has a friendly face and demeanor about him. He makes the film. Lange was a bit loud. I'm glad the film wasn't longer because Lange's constant shouting begins to become grating. As for Traylor, she acted well and was a pretty face. After watching this twice, I wondered why she never made it, but at least she has now found TV fame as the new partner of the hit TV series, "Monk."

Two veterans actors in here - Jack Warden and Chevy Chase - play irreverent sleazy roles, something they certainly have done before.....and do well. Warden is brutal as the ultimate dirty old man and Chase is as smug as always. Don Rickles makes a short appearances as his normal obnoxious character and John Goodman makes a cameo near the end.

The main story of this movie is a familiar one: revenge, but this time it is played strictly for laughs, and there are plenty. The movie shows revenge isn't just sweet, it can funny. What can you say? The movie is crude, it's sentimental, and it's a fun 82 minutes.

Why is this film so unappreciated?

Author: schweetj from usa
1 October 1999

"Dirty Work" is hilarious, with that oh-so noticeable SNL humor in it. Norm is at his best here, bringing a combination of his SNL roles to the big screen. I don't understand why this film could go so unnoticed with it's on-target comedy. The only thing I can see wrong is the lacking story line, but that's not what this film was made for. This film was made to be funny, and is just that. One of the best SNL style comedies ever (up there with Wayne's World and Tommy Boy).

Very funny under-rated film

Author: alexwinters46 from United States
2 July 2005

"Dirty Work" is a movie with one joke after another. I was shocked to hear this low-brow flick was directed by Bob Saget (Full House). The movie starts off with young Mitch Weaver and his buddy Sam seeking revenge on anybody who crosses their path. Sam's father gets a heart-attack and badly needs money for surgery. Dr. Farthing (Chevy Chase) makes a deal with the boys and if they can cough up a large amount of money to save him from his gambling debt, he will preform surgery on Pops (Jack Warden). Most of the movie is pretty damn funny. Some scenes aren't as funny like "The bearded Lady" scene, which the movie could have done without in my opinion. The highlight in the movie is no doubt Don Rickles role as the abusive manager of a local movie theater. The movie has no real serious parts in it which is OK; I would love to see Norm in more movies. He truly is talented. Good cast. Lots of Cameos by Ex-SNL members, including the late Chris Farley, the man who had his nose bite off by a whore!

A movie that allows non-stop comedy....Norm scores big...

Author: adamst-3 from United States
9 August 2005

Now when Saget made this film, he wasn't intending on creating an Oscar worthy performance from MacDonald or any of the other funny character ensemble. Whoever it was who would give this film a 4/10 star rating obviously is a one-sided dropout who doesn't realize the true meaning and genius in this movie. It was created for one reason and one reason only. To be funny. And by god it was. The great Chris Farley was only able to make but a few entrances but each time he was on screen, he nailed his part and brought more to the screen than what was on the paper. It is a shame a man of his magnitude was never able to show the world around us everything he was capable of. As for Chevy Chase, some may say his part showed up a little bit dry. Which it did, but this was not because of a poor script. This simply is because Chevy Chase's style of humor is that more of the early to late 70's. His performance overall was pretty good and I personally enjoyed it but the fact is he was unable to creatively fulfill himself in this film. The poor acting is made up for by having a non-stop comedy story board. This film ceases to have a dull moment and this largely can be credited to Norm MacDonald and his very unique style of comedy. Norm has always been a different kind of comedian who has different views on what he believes is funny. In this film, he is successfully able to transfer his hysterical notions to the lucky viewers of this film.

Norm is hilarious and so is this movie.

Author: squir1y from Stevens Point, Wisconsin
24 July 2000

I've always been a big fan of Norm MacDonald and so when I heard about this movie I was happy to see he had his own movie, but I was a little pessimistic because there hadn't been one good SNL alumni movie since Wayne's World. But when I saw it I wasn't disappointed.

Mitch (MacDonald) is a loser who just lost his job, his girlfriend, just learned his best friend's father is also his and he takes crap from everybody. So when him and his best friend Sam (Artie Lange) look for jobs they discover their calling: to open a revenge for hire business. Their business turns out to be successful until a greedy rich guy wants revenge for a prank they played on him.

Norm was hilarious. I like how straightforward he is with his lines("Settle down prostitutes!";"Hey, homeless guys!"). Artie Lange and Jack Warden were also very funny. Chris Farley and Adam Sandler make funny appearances too. The dead hooker in the trunk and the gay dog gags were priceless.

Ignore the critics. Check this out. 9/10

The funniest stupid comedy ever made

Author: guyfromjerzee from United States
13 October 2005

Though "Dirty Work" is outrageously low-brow, what makes it work is that it's purely ridiculous, and knows it ridiculous. The problem with most stupid comedies is they try to go for legitimate laughs, and simply come off as ridiculous. Anyone who's familiar with Norm MacDonald's brand of humor shouldn't be surprised. If you hate the guy, you probably won't like this movie, as he did co-write the script as well as being the star. So if you're a Norm-hater, you can stop reading this now.

This is one of those movies where no matter how many times I watch it, I'm still able to crack up at the same stupid jokes. There's a ton of lines that I love to quote from the movie. One of those hilarious lines occurs during the "dead hooker" scene. Norm says, "I've never seen so many dead hookers in my life," and a creepy guy in the crowd comments, "Lord knows I have." The Saigon whore line is also hilarious: "And there's the Saigon whore...that bit my nose off! Aaaahhhh!" In the movie, the late and great Chris Farley plays a guy...who got his nose bitten off by a Saigon whore. I know. Pretty self-explanatory. Farley doesn't play a huge role, but he steals the show every minute he's on screen. And of course, there's Norm's great "Maybe you'll feel better after we have some dirty sex" line.

I like Norm MacDonald, because he says the most ridiculous things, but delivers them in almost a deadpan fashion. There are, of course, moments in the film that are just plain stupid. And seeing Rebecca Romijn with a beard is too disturbing for my taste. But the pros definitely outweigh the cons in this stupidly hilarious comedy that I hope becomes a cult classic someday. One thing's for sure: You will never see another movie containing a barfight with "The Pina Colada Song" playing on the jukebox.

Guaranteed to make you chuckle

Author: Robert Clarke from Wrexham, North Wales
18 May 1999

Living in the UK I know very little about 'Saturday Night Live' comedy and I went in to this film with very little expectations and was pleasantly surprised with the result. In fact it turned out to be the funniest film that I have seen for a long while. It's laugh a minute stuff, serving up a lot of crude humour with a few daft situations which cannot fail to draw a snigger. The plot is simple:- a loser (Norm MacDonald) has to raise $50,000 to help get a heart donor for his best friends dad (Veteran actor, Jack Warden in fine form) so to do this the buddies set up their own 'revenge for hire' business with hilarious consequences. Watch out for humorous cameos by the likes of Adam Sandler, Chris Farley, John Goodman and Gary Coleman.

One of my favorite "dumb" comedies

Author: Eric-1226 from Seattle, Washington
25 December 2001

This movie is just great escapist fun, best enjoyed on a lazy day when you're feeling quite goofy and want to watch a totally cheese-ball comedy to give you a good guilty laugh.

It's one of those dumb but lovable comedies that rambles all over the place, taking zany pokes at lots of things in society: relationships, the police, jobs, the opera, homeless people, circus people, drug dealers, doctors, pet lap dogs, and lots more. Oh yeah, there are also dead hookers in trunks of cars. No kidding.

There are wonderfully mirthful performances by the likes of Norm MacDonald, Jack Warden, Artie Lange, Don Rickles, Chevy Chase, Chris Farley, and others (Chris Farley is more than funny in this one - he's downright scary!). I also liked Traylor Howard (Kathy) in this one. What a sweetie!

Anyway, go rent it, turn off any semblance of higher intellect that you may possess, sit back, and enjoy.

*Note to self: watch this movie again, and laugh foolishly all over again.

Beautiful introduction to Norm Macdonald's talents

Author: Elswet from .: Fiendish Writings in the Dark :.
31 January 2005

Most casual movie-goers do not appreciate the dry, sarcastic wit of Norm Macdonald. Many do not understand that his blunt, sometimes bombastic delivery is his trademark comedic style. While I would never call his style, "genius," he is certainly a master entertainer, in his own right. This style of his is an acquired taste. If you've managed to live your life without becoming the least bit jaded or cynical of anything, you may not understand Mr. Mcdonald's talent for humor. His coloring of even the most innocent scene with a dark innuendo or low-brow blurb is just so outrageous that we have no choice but to laugh. But those who do not understand, will find him abrasive or crass. It's true; he IS abrasive and crass, and in the most unfortunate situations he lets loose his abrasively crass innuendos and utters the most outrageous statements as facts only to correct himself by posing it as a question after he's already blurted out the first silly, obnoxious thing which comes to his mind. All this is assembled together with his honest expressions, common-everyday-Joe appearance, and expert comedic timing. Packaged within unlikely settings and a professional production, Norm Macdonald's comedic style is in the perfect element.

Dirty Work enlists the largest range of Norm Macdonald's skills of any one work I have seen. It is virtually a showcase for his talent. Unfortunately, it is commonly viewed as "mindless, low-brow, Hollywood fluff" and will therefore never receive the full appreciation of the audiences it deserves. The casual movie-goer will not be "in" on some of his one-liners, and the hard core comedic fans will be too busy critiquing his innovative comedic style to appreciate it.

This work involves Chevy Chase as an unscrupulous in-debt gambler who is willing to help our star out of his latest pickle in exchange for a load of money. I was a tad disappointed with Chevy's role in this vehicle. It could have afforded Mr. Chase's legendary talents a bit more respect by way of screen time. I found his talents were sorely under used although the drivers were pistoned after his specific flair. I did not quite agree with this decision.

All in all, this is a beautiful introduction to Norm Macdonald's talents and I highly suggest its viewing.

It rates a 7.3/10 from...

the Fiend :.

Not for all tastes. But if it is your taste, THIS MOVIE'S HILARIOUS!!!

Author: mattymatt4ever from Jersey City, NJ
1 April 2001

Not everybody appreciates the low-brow, sarcastic attempt that Norm McDonald takes towards comedy. I wouldn't call him a genius like Mel Brooks or Woody Allen, but he knows how to do comedy and he knows how to make people laugh--Well, he knows how to make ME laugh. Sometimes you see humor that's so dumb and meaningless that it makes you crack up. That is demonstrated again and again in "Dirty Work." For example, the scene at the movie theater. Norm and Artie took revenge on their evil boss by showing a movie called "Men in Black...Who Like to Have Sex with Each Other." OK, so this is not humor that was thought of with sheer ingenuity. But I was cracking the hell up! There are all sorts of different angles you can take towards humor. You can't always tell which is the best angle. When you watch an action movie, a drama, a thriller, a mystery or almost any other genre, you look for intelligence and wit. But when you watch a comedy there's two factors--at least there should be two factors--and those are: you laugh or you don't laugh. And different things make different people laugh. So I don't appreciate haters of this movie claiming this is no more than an insult to one's intelligence. You don't need intelligence for comedy. As long as a comedy makes me laugh, I'm satisfied, and I laughed A LOT!!!

I'm glad this movie received a cult following. This wasn't a big hit in mainstream cinema, but lots of friends I know love this movie--some thought it was the funniest comedy of all time. So my recommendation is split: You might like it, you might not like it. Just check it out, there's no harm. Unless you're easily offended by jokes about obesity and homosexuality.

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]