IMDb > Deep Impact (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Deep Impact

Deep Impact More at IMDbPro »

Page 21 of 50: [Prev][16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [Next]

Stop comparing this movie with Ärmaggedon¨!

Author: anonymous from Moscow, Russia
10 June 1999

Who says that ¨Armageddon¨ is a lot better movie than ¨Deep Impact"? Well, first of all, let´s remember that ¨Deep Impact¨was shot earlier than ´Armageddon¨, so´Armageddon¨ is just a very bad interpretation of ¨Deep Impact¨screenplay (Just like as in the case with Truman´s Show and Ed-Tv). Than, agree, the characters of ¨Deep Impact¨behave a lot more naturally than Bruce Willis in his usual ¨macho-leading-superstar-role", and other cardboard characters which are so typical for remakes and other stuff like that. I don´t say anything about Visual FX just because it´s clear that George Lucas´Industrial Light & Magic will make them better than anyone else in Hollywood (Let´s remember that it was Lucas who had an idea to use Computer Generated Imagery to create some astonishing effects for his ¨Star Wars¨, than, a fact that ¨Deep Impact¨is directed by a woman (Mimi Leder) certainly adds to the positive qualities of ¨Deep Impact¨. Than, I cannot not to mention magnificent cinematography done by director of photography Dietrich Lohmann (that was Dietrich´s last production, he died after a short battle with leukemia just after finishing the principal phototography of ¨Deep Impact¨), that was his second production with Mimi Leder (the first one was ¨The Peacemaker¨ with George Clooney and Nicole Kidman). There are also many touching scenes, especially at the end of the movie. And, I won´t be very surprised if we´ll find out if others Michael Bay´s movies are just re-makes of others. Deep Impact is a must-see movie and don´t waste tour time on s**t like Armageddon!

Splash!!!

Author: Brandy-28 from Los Angeles
1 June 1999

After two hours of sitting through all of the speeches and technical stuff, what is the payoff in this movie. Nothing. Nothing but a big splash!!! Watch it, you'll see what I mean. I was looking for some real Earth impact stuff like in Bruce Willis's Armageddon. What happened?????

Overrated.

Author: andy-227 from Sterling Heights, Michigan
14 May 1999

After I wasted my time with this petty excuse for a sci-fi drama, I refused to see "Armageddon", which is virtually the same movie. People have told me "Armageddon" is a far better film, but I still haven't seen it, and I doubt I ever will. This movie failed to live up to my expectations! Not that I was expecting "Star Wars", but that the film's buildup around the impending disaster would payoff at the film's conclusion. It didn't. In fact, the end was hurried and unsatisfying, judging from the fact that the 2 hours of film was built around what would happen when the comet would strike the earth. The disaster was devastating, but it was easily dealt with afterwards, which is unrealistic in the absolute extreme. This easy way of dealing with an unstoppable disaster is what turned me off. Everything was just too easy to handle. It's like saying, "Yeah, who cares if that comet destroyed virtually all of the world's population. Forget about it. It's just one of those things". I doubt that in real life, a disaster such as this wouldn't be as easily dealt with as it was in this movie. They call this a "realistic drama that could happen"? Hah, it's a joke!

P.S. The effects suck too!

Formula action piece maintains interest, barely.

Author: Doctor_Bombay from Lucas Buck, NC
6 May 1999

Some feel the action picture of the 1980's is now going the way of "classic rock" music and I tend to agree. "Deep Impact" tries hard to recreate many of the steps to failure to which we've become accustomed as this genre develops (and plays out) in the late 1990's. When your lead character's parents have good-sized speaking parts, and they are played by once-high-profile, and now grist mill fodder such as Maximilian Schell and Vanessa Redgrave you may want to start to worry (although I'll admit Schell did have a great turn in "The Freshman"(1990)). I mean what, if any value could these 'parents' play in the story? It's fairly easy to predict that our main character will be 'flawed' but can't he just hit the bottle, or just show some irregular sociopathic behavior? Could I really care about his (her) relation ship with mommy and daddy? Just pour some more eFx on top if you please.

Perhaps scripters Bruce Joel Rubin (My Life) and Michel Tolkin (The Player), neither of whom have ever had the word 'action' associated with their writing offer a freshness with their script. Preferring not to depend on a lead role, "Deep Impact" is entirely story-driven--thankfully, since every time Tea Leoni takes the screen I get that 'fingernails on the chalkboard' feeling-can you say "Flirting With Disaster"?.

Have seen the film twice now, and must say I found it perfectly agreeable although, aside from the 'comet to hit earth--rescue mission engaged--will the world survive?' normal story progression, I have no idea really what the dang thing was about.

Maybe it's all the well.

The thinking person's action flick

Author: Wesly Moore (weslymoore@aol.com) from Pasadena, CA
4 May 1999

I have to admit it: the posters made me gag. "Oceans rise.cities fall.hope survives"? Oh, please! Well, it's not "Armageddon," and it doesn't star anyone who looks remotely like Ben Affleck, but this is definitely the summer's thinking person's action flick. I was quoted over the summer in US magazine as saying, "If a man had directed ['Deep Impact,' which was directed by Mimi Leder], it would have been 'Die Hard' on a comet." Which, interestingly enough, is pretty much what "Armageddon" was. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with that kind of slam-bang fare; I certainly oohed and aahed over the destruction and the sheer spectacle of "Armageddon" (not to mention Ben in his T-shirt). What you'll never see in a Michael Bay movie, and what puts "Deep Impact" on the map for me, are performances with the subtlety of Robert Duvall's and Billy Bob Thornton's; brutal, heart-wrenching scenes like the final moment with Tea Leoni and her father on the beach; and rich character development that leaves you unable to ooh and aah over the destruction, because your connection with the characters leaves you horrified at the loss. "Deep Impact" is one of a rare breed.

Moving powerful movie

Author: anonymous from ohio
18 April 1999

Deep Impact was one of my favorite movies of 1998. It was very realistic unlike the lame very lame armageddon. It was very moving also especially the end with the baby. I give it 10 out of 10. god. it was great!

Visually stunning epic is enervated by a lackluster pace and a sense of over-sentimentality.

Author: David Choi from New Jersey, USA
16 April 1999

Suppose it is confirmed...a comet bigger that Mount Everest is about to go on a collision course towards planet Earth. Weighing over half a trillion tons, this meteor will attribute to the extinction of life on Earth as we know it...unless the comet can be destroyed before it hurls toward its destination.

As news conferences spread word on the inevitable extrication of mankind, panic reigns, fear takes over, and the world is gripped in a state of frenzy... President Tom Beck (Morgan Freeman, again in an assured, pervasive performance) admonishes to the people that chaos and disorder cannot be tolerated and that cooperation among everyone is requisite for survival if the human race is to continue...

Meanwhile, ambitious TV news reporter Jenny Lerner (Tea Leoni) has stumbled upon a U.S. government collaboration cover up pertaining to the celestial message given by the so-called "Doomsday Chronicles" heading towards all of the world. She also learns that there is more than meets the eye or what the ear is allowed to hear when the government takes frantic measures to stop this meteor before it clashes alongside with Planet Earth, leading to the perishing of all forms of life...

Spurgeon Tanner (Robert Duvall) may very well be mankind's last hope into thwarting the comet. With a ragtag team of experienced experts on all multifarious technical and scientific fields, Tanner and five other man embark on the "Messiah mission." Their goal: to nuke the juggernaut of a meteor by carefully positioning and installing sensitive nuclear warheads into the core of the meteor... By August 16, Tanner and his crew must complete their mission...for failure is truly not an option...

If all else fails, a "national lottery" has been implemented which will allow approximately 1 million Americans to have their lives spared just to ensure the perpetuation of the human race...

DEEP IMPACT contained all the ingredients needed to concoct a solid motion picture including: A great premise, moody nail-biting suspense, substantive characterization, handsome production values, unfolding drama, and discreet use of big-budget Hollywood FX.

DEEP IMPACT also offers a sprinkling of *emotional* moments to permit people to use their tissues and cry until their eyes are dry! However, with all the sincere strengths DEEP IMPACT has, this movie's fallibility cannot be overlooked. Too bad for one, the product of DEEP IMPACT never reached its full realization and potential. A mundane pace distracts from some very impressive special effects. Although the motion picture is satisfactory, yet, the film moves in a non-engaging and lackadaisical pace.

Visually enchanting indeed, but the potency does not exist as profoundly as you may expect. The over-sentimentality is forced onto the audience, and an excess of emotional intensity can sometimes serve as an impediment to an otherwise well thought out script with confident character development. DEEP IMPACT is very humane with great perspectives ranging from a teen's (Elijah Wood) last moments with the girl he loves, to Lerner's brief reunion with her estranged father before disaster strikes!

DEEP IMPACT is a good, enjoyable film saved by fine performances. Unfortunately, rather than allowing the audience to acclimate to the feelings and emotions of the characters on screen, the direction and structure of this movie is sometimes coerced to make the viewers try to care about these people whether the audiences are compelled to or not. Basically, in DEEP IMPACT, the film makers strive to make the audience believe in the characters and their dilemmas they are experiencing instead of letting the audiences discern just for themselves when it is appropriate to think deeply, and weep...

Second, DEEP IMPACT could really benefit from more (and a better variety of) special effects. Not nearly enough screen time was given to the eye-popping special FX, and many people will feel crestfallen by the end when the result of this film did not attain their high expectations. DEEP IMPACT is a worthwhile film and a rather highly recommended motion picture to be seen. It's a big bang, all out special FX extravaganza by the climactic denouncement! The special effects are above par, the suspense keeps you on your toes, and tidal waves will develop...devouring cities by the whole... Also, the predictability in DEEP IMPACT is constant, with the connoisseurs always one step ahead of the characters on screen...

In all sincerity, DEEP IMPACT is a modest hit. The characterizations are excellent, the FX are well constructed, and the plot and pace, though they move too turgidly, gives the viewer a more sympathetic perception on how martial law takes its toll on everyone from the government to the citizens.

Think of DEEP IMPACT as an otherwise, routine first class film. The film is worth viewing and though a better pace is something left to be desired for, DEEP IMPACT is proficient enough as a firm, substantial thriller with compassionate characters and capable direction. This film is also commending for touching upon themes such as a forthcoming apocalypse, and the aftermath of how people must endure through the worst of times. As the characters remind us through their perseverance, the ordeal can be excruciating, but it will all eventually end... The movie, DEEP IMPACT is worth your time. Still, this film is an indubitable misfire...for this movie is just missing something...

RATING: **1/2 out of ****.

Nice and just plain watchable

Author: Michael Angel from Vancouver
26 March 1999

This film if anything shows that a decent disaster film can be made that makes you feel something for the characters, instead of the classic contempt and eagerness one has in seeing lots of people expire in doomsday type tales that are pyrotechnic in nature. This film was very appropriately said to be a poor man's On the Beach. In a sense that is accurate because while it has some decent to good characterizations, the nihilism and acting of On the Beach put it on a different level. This film has some nice performances and a very real and probable approach(at least in North America) of dealing with an impending disaster of this nature. Duvall is excellent(the portrayal of the NASA team, in particular the Russian, is real and without idiotic stereotyping, unlike Armageddon). Freeman is strong, and Tea Leoni is quite decent. It is wonderful to catch Maxmillian Schell who is basically a walk-on, but is nonetheless good. This film leaves one with questions rather than answers. Of note the cave creation or lottery the allude is occurring in other countries is problematic considering geography, landscape, and social demographics. But it still is better than nonsense like Armageddon.

MSNBC:The Movie????????

Author: anonymous from New York
20 March 1999

It was different.. to have a disaster movie which is almost completely devoid of any actual disaster..and the real plot being the battle for that coveted anchor job on msnbc.. the government was made to look especially intelligent... with the paper thin coverup & making one comet, into 2 comets....We sit there patiently, or impatiently... in my case, waiting for any hint of action & we get countless shots of things bearing the msnbc logo.. people cheering the boy whose name the comet bears... people would really be blaimg Elijah Wood... for the comet's arrival.. it's just the way people operate..they would not be cheering him. All in all, I guess the experiment of a disaster movie without a real disaster, was nothing short of... a disaster

The best disaster film of 98

Author: tjw1973 from Michigan
11 March 1999

Though this movie has a made for tv feel to it, it has an extremely thought out script that allows you to feel emotion for the plight of the characters involved. The films stars really got into their parts and made you feel as though you were watching something real. 8/10