IMDb > Deep Impact (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Deep Impact

Deep Impact More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 50: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

This film is a disaster!

Author: ffwcsec from Austin, TX
13 June 2000

There is not one single part of this movie that is believable in any way. The characters are cliches, the plot is so contrived as to be unintelligible, and even the special effects are cheesy. I tried really hard to find something to like about this movie since I am a fan of Morgan Freeman, but the final scene where the kid outruns the tidal wave on a motorcycle was the last straw. I want my two hours back!

All Characters Are Completely Blase About Imminent Death!!

Author: Bman777 from United States
6 January 2016

It's crazy ... Throughout the movie, everyone shows very little reaction to the news that a comet the size of Manhattan is hurtling to Earth, potentially killing every person and creature on our planet. The expressions on the actors and actresses are blank, emotionless, kind of immediately resigned to dying in about a year. Weird how other reviews liked the acting and how the flick touched them. I seriously don't get it. Deep Impact was too unrealistic by how Americans acted or really didn't act. In reality, mass hysteria would build, criminal and impulsive behaviors would increase, and society would start unraveling.

The President was totally unbelievable and and the reporter was literally like a zombie, stating horrible news like someone who is reporting the loss of a championship high school football game. No one reacted realistically. The characters on the rescue ship made efforts at showing some human emotion, but they came off as wooden and dull. The major flaw in the movie is that most people on Earth ... including the main characters ... would react far more strongly, more unpredictably, than the way everyone reacts in the flick.

A Poor Man's Armageddon

Author: ratchet123 from Belfast, Ireland
28 July 2015

This movie could have been a lot better, it's premise is great (asteroid on course to strike earth, mission sent to destroy asteroid fails, only very few people on Earth are selected to live on after the asteroid hits, leaving the rest to die a horrible death BUT they have many months before this happens so they must all still live together and wait for the inevitable) but what was needed to make it fulfil it's potential is completely missing.

The aim of this movie is to make you care about the characters and make almost every scene in the second half either a tearjerker or a philosophical eye opener. Now, if this had have been achieved then this would be a very good movie, cheesy but still a good movie. But it fails rather miserably to do any of these things because it is killed by three main factors; terrible pacing, complete lack of character development and a pretty awful, cliché dependent script not to mention the below par acting by many of the actors. As a result of all this, I felt absolutely zero emotional attachment to any of the characters which in a movie so heavy with sentiment, is a huge failure in itself. Also, I never felt excited or gripped by any of the action or suspenseful scenes because they would always be ruined by the never ending cheesy lines of dialogue or the shoddy special effects and I almost lost all interest near the end.

The sad thing is, even with a little better character development, this could have been a far better movie if it didn't feel like I was being forced to care about the under developed romance of the two teenagers who have a combined screen time of about 20 minutes or the irritating reporter with the personality of a spoon.

Now, compare this to it's unintentional but obvious counterpart, Armageddon, which may just be a big dumb blockbuster as well but it still makes me well up, get goosebumps, laugh and smile with joy in so many memorable scenes because of it's likable protagonists, satisfactory character development & plot, great pacing and fantastic cinematography, music & special effects. That's what makes a good blockbuster, Deep Impact, on the other hand made me feel none of this and really pales in comparison in my opinion.

I give it a generous 3 out of 10.

A comet is on course to collide with the Earth.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
5 March 2012

This science-fiction thriller holds its own against another, but greater hyped disaster film, Armageddon. In 1998, a teenage amateur star-gazer Leo Biederman(Elijah Wood)discovers an odd object in the heavens. Marcus Wolf(Charles Martin Smith), a professional astronomer recognizes it as a comet and calculates it is Earth bound. Wolf dies in a car accident, but a year later President Tom Beck(Morgan Freeman)is the one to make the announcement to the nation. The U.S. and Russia team together to construct a spacecraft to destroy the comet with nuclear weapons. The craft is named Messiah and its international manned mission is led by veteran astronaut Spurgeon Tanner(Robert Duvall). Instead of being destroyed, the comet splits into two smaller massive rocks...both still on a course to make deep impact causing major destruction. Governments all over the world hope that underground shelters can protect survivors to repopulate a devastated world. The well rounded cast also includes: Tea Leoni, Blair Underwood, Leelee Sobieski, Vanessa Redgrave, James Cromwell, Mary McCormack and Maximilian Schell. Kudos to director Mimi Leder and cinematographer Dietrich Lohmann.

Special Effects Show with Human Element

Author: gcd70 from Melbourne, Australia
5 January 2010

"Deep Impact" immediately conjures up visions of another special effects fest, yet although the visuals of this disaster film are great, this is not the true focus of the film.

Unlike "Independence Day", which definitely falls into the above category (with an awful plot line added "post mortem"), "Deep Impact" centres around the human effect of an "Extinction Level Event", or to be blunt, a huge meteor on a crash course with earth. We see much here of how people will react in a life or death situation, and at times it is greatly moving. Yet, the film is full of highly unlikely scenarios, but I guess Hollywood now expects audiences to overlook plot contrivances.

As I've said, the movie looks, and sounds, fantastic, and a strong cast lend their support. Tea Leonie surprises in a most convincing role as the young journo who stumbles across the story of a lifetime. Robert Duvall, the ever-reliable, plays experienced astronaut Spurgeon Tanner, Vanessa Redgrave and Maximillian Schell are the estranged parents of young Jenny (Leonie), and Morgan Freeman fills the shoes of the President of the United States. Also stars Elijah Wood and Mary McCormack.

Inspired by "The Hammer of God" by Arthur C. Clarke and "When World's Collide" by Philip Wylie and Edwin Balmer.

Thursday, June 25, 1998 - Village Jam Factory

"End of the word" flick is thoughtful as well as tense, giving it a deeper impact than most films of this type. All puns aside, the great visual and sound effects are backed up by a good James Horner score and an enjoyable, effective cast including the impressive Tea Leone, Morgan Freeman, Robert Duvall and a surprising Elijah Wood. Also stars Mary McCormack, Vanessa Redgrave and Maximillian Schell. One of Mimi Leder's best yet.

Thursday, April 22, 1999 - Video

Corny blockbuster but well done

Author: Adam (AWhitt1@umbc.edu) from Baltimore, MD
25 January 2004

This movie was surprisingly well done. When I saw I expected it to be just as stupid as all of those 'armageddon' movies, the ones when the earth is being destroyed. Luckily, it was not. The acting was strong, and the writing was quite impressive. Of course it's kinda predictable, but definetely entertaining. By the end, it became a very powerful movie that definetely makes you think how you would act in a situation such as that. Unlike the other armageddon movies, the action seems a little more realistic and is not as relentless. This is NOT an action movie, and it makes it all the better because of that. Recommended. 4 out of 5 stars.

Very well done for a premise done so badly other times

Author: IMDBReader
25 January 2004

Armageddon was so bad it was insulting. Action movies still need to have some basis in reality. It did not. Deep Impact focused on the people, not the explosions, while still having very good effects, when appropriate. The title clearly refers not to the comet, but the people. I loved the mystery at the beginning, having Jenny slowly realize what is really going on, and the much more realistic depiction of the attempt to divert the comet. I liked how the ship was clearly scavenged from existing parts, with a bit of new technology. much more believable. A happy, but not perfect ending also made this a very good film.

Armageddon had so many holes, it was painful to watch... 1. The plan from the beginning was to blow up the asteroid, which is totally moronic, and could never work. Deflection would be the only solution. when they did blow it in half, the pieces left still would have destroyed Earth. Not magically passed by. 2. They just happened to have 2 super shuttles waiting in the wings, along with 2 drilling vehicles that wouldn't serve any function in real drilling. Dumb 3. Expecting us to believe it's easier to train oil rig workers to be astronauts that to train astronauts to run a drilling rig. especially undisciplined idiots like them. Moronic 4. Elevators on the shuttle? Too much excess weight. (giant SUV's, too) 5. Bad (no) research, and bad acting, even from good actors.

Life Altering

Author: apass from United States
16 April 2001

This is the kind of movie that can alter your life. What are the world's most substantial problems? I've often wondered. Environmental plundering? Exponential growth rates in the human population? Elusive world peace? No. None of those. This movie lends perspective.

The most obtrusive problem for our world is fragility. We are ants in a child's sandbox, awaiting certain destruction -- unless, that is, we acknowledge our blinding myopia and start thinking about bigger issues than the last shootout on the 11 o'clock news.

Yes, it's true that a cosmic event like comet impact is unlikely to occur in our lifetime. No, it is not something we can relegate to inevitable act-of-god status. We are thinking, conscious beings -- of far more value than the ravens and lilies that share the earth with us. And as such, we must make use of our cognitive abilities to ensure that we have a more secure existence.

Astronomy and mathematics could one day pinpoint every single cosmological disaster in our planet's future. Quantum mechanics and physics could one day allow us and our biosphere to simply move to another planet. Out goal is sophisticated existence, perpetual in nature. If we don't get moving on this fast, it will be the greatest insult to our scientific forefathers, from Galileo to Einstein.

Now that's what I call a good movie.

This movie was great

Author: mrsanta_is_dead from ********
13 April 2001

It was far better than Armageddon. It is more realistic actings and backgrounds. The movie itself is very sad and tragic in some ways. Wonderful performances by Tea Leoni, Morgan Freeman, Robert Duvall, Elijah Wood, and the rest. The scene when Leo and Sarah were parted brought me to tears.

And the special effects were not bad, either. Ignore the harsh comments and rent this movie if you're really interested.

The Best Meteor Film Around...

Author: lrc67a11 (lrc67a11@students.loucoll.ac.uk) from Leicestershire, England
12 February 2001

There are loads of armageddon type films around these days, but only a few are good. Armageddon was good but it lacked the realistic approach to such a calamity. However, Deep Impact was realistic. Not only that, but I actually felt for the characters. The ending was totally realistic and what the U.S. government did to protect its people was a good idea. The acting by Tea Leoni was suprisingly good and Elija Wood's was excellent.

I admit it wasn't as dramatic as Armageddon but the bits at the end was really great. There wasn't the typical hero like Bruce Willis but in real situations is there really one? The love scene at the end of Armageddon wasn't as romantic as Deep Impact's, but again who needs one?