IMDb > Deep Impact (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Deep Impact

Deep Impact More at IMDbPro »

Page 15 of 50: [Prev][10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [Next]

good

Author: Real Critic
18 December 2001

Deep Impact is a better movie overall than Armageddon. Armageddon is action packed, but Deep Impact has plenty of suspense. More important, it has a much more credible story. The characters are more likable and the movie packs an emotional punch. The thing that really makes it rise above Armageddon, is the acting is much better. Morgan Freeman is terrific as always. 3/4

Breathtaking!

Author: jhazelett72 from Iowa
4 December 2001

Other viewers have compared this movie to "Armageddon" with Bruce WIllis. I don't think that's fair. "Armageddon" was good because the writers and producers knew what it was: a slam-bang action thriller with definite comedy and science fiction elements. "Deep Impact" is good because it takes a look at the possibility from the other end of the spectrum: how would we truly act as citizens of the Earth if we thought it might be destroyed? It's always been interesting to me that I enjoyed both films fairly equally. Whenever I'm asked to compare them I have to tell people that they are two completely separate movies, rather than two movies about the same thing. And that's what I'll tell you. If you're looking for that roller-coaster ride of a movie, see "Armageddon." If you want a true drama that shows how we as humans might react in a very serious situation, I highly recommend "Deep Impact." I must add this note: I agree completely with the previous reviewer who said that Morgan Freeman's performance as the President in this movie is perhaps the finest performance of anyone in that role, and more screen time for him would have made the film even better.

Inspirational

Author: Martin Hanley (masterhanley@yahoo.com) from Nottingham, England
1 November 2001

I've always liked Armageddon better than this.But after reading one of the comments I decided to watch it again,and boy,I'm glad I did.This is top notch quality entertainment,with brilliant acting from the whole cast,from Morgan Freeman to Denise Crosby,and the special effects are three times better than Armageddon.So if you have two hours to spare,I recommend to watch this,YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED.

'IMPACT' (from the day's after..)

Author: sylvar-3
14 September 2001

Today is Sep 15 the Saturday after one of the worst tragedies since Pearl Harbor, (Attack on NY, World Trade Center.& Pentagon.)

I saw Deep Impact for the first time a few month's ago. (I wonder, I cant imagine anyone seeing it and feeling the same.) It was a good & startling movie! It made me realize our/my humanity/mortality. After seeing the film, and reading peoples comment's on it's supposed, 'cheesiness', 'fake looking' special effects, I wonder what is the opinion now? The shot of the ocean hitting New York and the towers scared me then, and now? (I cant imagine being able to view it in the same light!) Of course in this film our country is hit by a natural disaster. When in reality Tuesday was far from natural. But, on the positive side of this film are the final and American's and the world coming together during the worst time! It is this part of this film which makes it's, 'IMPACT'! 'Life will go on, we will prevail'!

A very effective and realistic movie

Author: rojankatar-1 (rojankatar@videotron.ca) from Montreal
7 September 2001

I preferred Deep Impact to Armageddon because it was more realistic, the special effects were good and looked real not obviously computerised. The fact of having the first black US president was orginal and I think they could have put more emphasis on this rather than the reporter and her dad. The characters were believable more so than in Armageddon. I don't think I would like the fate of the world to be in the hands of total idiots.

The best effect, to my taste, was the giant tsunami (about 1 mile high) that destroyed New-York. I have studied in astronomy and physics and it is what would happen if a comet hit earth; let me give an example if a comet (causes a bit more damage than an asteroïd because a comet is more compact and more dense) of 1 mile wide if it collided on earth would make a hole that could be as big as 80 miles wide and 5 miles deep, would create an earthquake over 10 on the richler scale and send about 2 billions tons of earth in orbit to prevent the sun to light and heat our planet. If it fell in water it would'nt be stopped because of its size and would create a tsunami of about 1 mile high and would hit the bottom and crate another monster earthwuake. This is why I like Deep Impact better than Armageddon.

Pierre

A Piece Of The Rock

Author: virek213 from San Gabriel, Ca., USA
1 August 2001

If you want an end-of-the-world spectacle with sound, fury, and testosterone, DEEP IMPACT isn't your film. There's always ARMAGEDDON.

But DEEP IMPACT, besides having special effects that are every bit as spectacular as ARMAGEDDON, and far more believable, has something that ARMAGEDDON sorely lacks: a human dimension. This is a really thought-provoking "what-if" movie about the extreme emotional and social impact on the world when it is announced that a seven mile-wide comet is on a collision course with Earth. Supposedly, one such uncomfortably close encounter with a space rock sixty five million years ago obliterated the dinosaurs. This one will have the nightmarish effect of a nuclear holocaust (minus the radiational fallout), and it COULD wipe out the human race...unless a space expedition team, captained by Robert Duvall, can nudge the comet out of its collision course.

Co-starring Morgan Freeman, Elijah Wood, Tea Leoni, Leelee Sobieski, and Maximillian Schell, DEEP IMPACT is effectively directed by Mimi Leder (THE PEACEMAKER); and though the Bruce Joel Rubin/Michael Tolkin script doesn't entirely avoid the melodramatic pratfalls of the 1970s disaster films, it does give the film a humanity that was woefully absent from ARMAGEDDON--not surprising, given the fact that this is from Steven Spielberg's DreamWorks SKG factory.

James Horner, who scored TITANIC, AN AMERICAN TAIL and APOLLO 13, gives us another very effective score here, ensuring that the very deep impact of DEEP IMPACT lasts longer than the sound and fury of ARMAGEDDON.

beautifully done

Author: padawan1224
5 February 2001

I'm sorry that this movie can't satisfy those who have a pressing need to see explosions every 5 minutes in a film, I guess that's too much to ask from a movie that succeeds without the over dependency on special effects and concentrates more on characters. That was the problem with Armageddon, it was just made for people to go see stuff blow up and nothing more. In Deep Impact, you get a more realistic story. What would happen if a meteor were about to hit earth. I thought that these issues were dealt with very well. The characters were very well done. The human drama is what really drives this movie. So if you want to see a really good asteroid movie, see Deep Impact. It does not disappoint, that is unless you're the superficial type that just likes bang and boom, in that case see Armageddon.

A worthwhile Look at a Real Threat

Author: galt_57 from St. Louis
31 January 2001

I am rather amused at all the negative comments. Some complain about the acting skills of the lead character, some complain the film is too slow or too emotional -- or not emotional enough, or totally flawed because it needed some really bloody riot scenes... hmmmm.

"Armageddon" was a comic book adventure. This film tries to be a bit more realistic. Many of those who have posted complaints about the realism of this film are simply in need of a better science education. Certainly there are a few factual flaws but the basics are all technically accurate. What it really should bring home is the sorry truth of how little our current science could do in such a situation, because we really do not yet have the technical capabilities that are shown in this film. If such a thing were discovered by some astronomer next year, we would have _no_ real hope of surviving, because we would not have time to build anything. Nine women cannot produce a baby in one month, and so it is for aerospace. Hell, we can barely get the space shuttle to work right and we've been working on it for 20+ years, and it is a toy compared to what would be needed for this task.

Everyone hated Tea Leoni? I thought she was fine for the part. She is supposed to be an inexperienced and uncomfortable junior reporter and indeed she looks like one. So what? Someone trashed this movie because it predicts that a black man like Colin Powell could become the U.S. president. Well, I'd choose him over 'Dubya' any day.

The special effects look quite acceptable. The rain would begin a few days later. >

Ocean's Rise,Cities Fall,Hope Survives!Hope of a better film

Author: (pullen18@disinfo.net) from Wiltshire, England
4 January 2001

Just like ARMAGEDDON it had many many poor moments! Armageddon was just the Good old Yanks(oh and a drunk Russian) saving the planet. But Deep Impact was trying to hit your sensitive side a bit more and personally I feel it failed. DEEP IMPACT in my opinion dealt with far too many Social Issues in the U.S.A.... The Astronauts were....(List not to offend) 1)2 youngish white Men. 2)1 Old Guy 3)1 black male 4)1 Women 5)1 Russian What more can I say..... The film also had a Black President which was(please don't me wrong)a fantastic vision. There was young love leading to a rushed teenage marriage(o.k because of the situation but there plan failed) Single successful parent(the journalist Leoni spares to be with "Daddy"!) The Older Man marrying a much younger women while his ex is lonely,this just didn't work for me as it was pointless to the whole Big Stone Hitting the Earth thing(I almost forgot this was going to happen). It's fine that Social issues are in Deep Impact,but I feel there are too many!!!! Oh I also thought..."What the Hell is Duvall is this film???"He was totally head and shoulders above the rest.EXCEPT for that one line!!!It's a typical Hollywood action line it went something like this.... "Oh,my Holy God"!!!!!I hate those cheese ball lines!!!! Thats It!!!! P.S Anyone notice the amount of E.R veterans????

I love you world

Author: Dodger-9 from York
2 January 2001

*Spoilers*

The biggest problem with Deep Impact is that it takes 90 minutes to see what should happen in the first five: Most of the uninspired cast wiped out by a huge comet.

Sounds vitriolic?

Well, having just sat through one of the worst movies of 1998, I feel justified. I'm just grateful this shambles was on TV and I didn't have to pay to listen to nearly two hours of the cast say "I love you" ad nauseum. I hope Robert Duvall and Morgan Freeman bought nice things with their paycheque. I would hate to think that starring in such a dirge of a glorified TV movie merely went on paying bills.

Tune in 10 minutes before the end for the fine special effects but thats about all.

Who would have thought a film this expensive would be worse than Meteor?

Bargepoles aren't long enough for the distance you need to keep between yourself and this mess.